A thread where you can ask/find words and idioms you don't understand - thread created in OFF-A

ThaHoward

1. 1. For non-english speakers, would you use it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Other (explain in thread)
    • Don't know
    • I am an english speaker or master it
  2. 2. For english speakers/masters would you explain the words, idioms etc?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Don't know
    • Other
    • I am a non-english speaker
  3. 3. If you want it, in whch forum should it be?

• Alternate languages
    • Off-topic
    • Other
    • I don't want it

Sorry for the long title, but I know that it is many non-native english speakers here (myself included). And naturally we're not aces in English. So misunderstandings and miscommunication may arise if we don't understand, or think it means something completely different, certain phrases, idioms and words. So I wonder if you would want a thread that in the OP various idioms, phrases and words are explained. I will in the startt just add the basic idioms. But non english speakers may ask what certain things mean in this thread, and then englush speakers, or thise who masters it, can explain them and I add them in the OP. Also I will link to various dictionaries - but it is often difficult to understand the meaning of them in the dictionaries. And for the english speakers, would you explain the different words?

So what do you all think?

Edit: Here is the thread

I hasten to add that this would also be useful for us American English speakers living in a British English area, and vice versa. (As well as any other English dialects, local specificities, etc.)

I hasten to add that this would also be useful for us American English speakers living in a British English area, and vice versa. (As well as any other English dialects, local specificities, etc.)

Yeah. That would not be my top priority, but I can of course create a seperate list for it. By putting the words for non-native in it's own spoiler(s), and the accent in their own.

Sounds like a good idea :) I'd be happy to help answer any questions.

That is great :)

I'm more than happy to help people out ^_^

Also I picked other because I don't really care where the thread is

That's good :) Well what I have in mind is mostly visibility and acitivity. And also, which is highly unlikely :p , which is most likely will make it a sticky.

Good idea. Wow, I've never posted in Alt Langs before.

Good thing I'm not the only one who thinks so :) First time for everything I guess :lol: :cake:

SorryNotSorry

IMO this would be indispensable. I was wondering just this morning what a certain Scottish-English word is supposed to mean.

What do this "indispensable" mean? :p That it can't be dispesended! :lol: Like coca-cola on a dispenser.

Native English speaker here that would be happy to help out! Even as a voracious reader/enjoyer of English, there are still times when I wouldn't mind picking someone else's brain about various phrases, idioms, and words.

I selected other in the third question because I don't really have an opinion where this thread would go since I mostly navigate the forum through 'New content.'

inb4 Urbandictionary :P

I don't feel the need for one such thread, personally, but if it's opened I'd be happy to provide :) I can speak Italian (native), French and Spanish.

As mentioned, various dictonaries will be provided in the OP. However it is not all words that are so easy to understand in them, plus idioms and phrases are rarely explained. A person who is not so good to decent in English, can for example think that "I see where you come from" means that they are physically seeing them coming from a place.

Also it would be easier when those who use them words explain them and use them in contex. And urban dictionary is not that teailible always, take demisexual for example, I remmber I read that being demi-sexual is only what really prude people who want to be special label themselves as. And asexy is peolple who eat lots of cake. The first is offensive and simply wrong, while the latter is humoros. But someone who do not know these terms may then get a completely wrong idea of what it mean, so then urban dictionary may give them a false image. Yet again take asexy, that literally mean not sexy. If a person then asked it in the thread (allthough I doubt they would ask for asexy :p ) they could then se that in everyday speech it means something opposite of what the dictionary would say.

Hi. This is a great idea :)

Also, the basic meaning of an idiomatic expression or a word in itself is one thing and I can just Google it if need be, but sometimes I'm completely mystified whether something is supposed to have a positive or negative connotation. That's more tricky to figure out ;)

Anyway, go for it :)

Archived