WP 2014 Tinychat and meetings

Happy new year!

I'd like to hold our first WorldPride 2014 meeting in the next week or two. To that end I've set up a tinychat room

http://tinychat.com/wp2014asexuals

To use the chat room, there's no need to sign up with tinychat or with any other service. Simply click the above link, sign in as a guest and type in your name or handle. You can use tinychat purely with text, or if you have a microphone or webcam you can broadcast an audio stream or a picture or both.

There are two purposes to having a TC room: I intend it to be an informal but useful place for us all to hang out and get to know each other before Toronto, discuss plans etc. I will try to be vaguely around TC each evening 8-10pm UK time (no guarantees here) but you're welcome to use it any time at all.

The second purpose is to hold more formal(ish!) meetings, maybe once a month. I'll make another post shortly about the first meeting.

A couple of caveats:

1) Of course there's no requirement to come to any of the meetings just because you're coming for WorldPride. It's likely that we will discuss assigning particular organizing roles at the meetings, so if there is something you'd like to volunteer for but can't come to any meetings, make sure I know (by PM or by posting in the forum).

2) It should be noted that this chatroom is not an official part of AVEN; I will not be able to moderate it anything like full time, and won't be able to enforce anything like an AVEN-style ToS. Unlike the main AVEN chat room, what happens in TC will not lead to disciplinary action on AVEN (with some very limited exceptions applying in general to offsite content). If there are problems I'll have to put a password on the room and only give it out to selected people; I hope that will not happen though. I'll also put a password on if we get invaded by unrelated groups.

So anyway, please come and say hi!

• Like 1

First meeting.

Time: To be decided. I'm hoping for a meeting next week (short notice I know!) 8-10pm UK time (3-5pm Eastern Time) of Tuesday-Friday next week. See poll.

Who: Anyone interested in helping out with the planning of WP2014. Possible or likely attendance at WP 2014 is not a requirement - only a genuine interest in helping plan the event.

Poll: Please vote for the preferred day. Although I have no way of requiring it, I'd like to request you only vote if you genuinely intend to make the meeting. I will close the poll at the end of the coming weekend.

Agenda draft: My items are...

• Welcome and brief intros (the brevity depending on how many people are present!)
  • Accommodation and travel planning: what can we do to make it easier for people to plan their trip? What is the current status of carpooling? What are good, cheap places to stay? Is there much demand for some visiting AVENites to rent somewhere out jointly? Etc etc.
  • Outreach: how to spread the word far and wide, particularly to people outside Canada or who may need to plan their trip well in advance. Making the best use of social media and other resources to promote WorldPride 2014. I'm also interested in outreaching to local (and possibly) not so local organizations who may be interested in meeting with us.
  • Projects and legacy: wishy-washy sounding item but the point is I want WP2014 to be something we will remember for a long time to come. So what I want is to encourage as many people as possible to do something cool, and keep a record of it. That might be sending in an article to your campus newsletter about your trip to Toronto, it may mean making a blog post, it might mean writing an article, making a video of your trip to Toronto; it may mean setting up a penpal group with people you meet there, or starting a really cool project; the point is I want some way of people who are coming to make a pledge to do any or all of these things, and to keep a good record of the results.
  • Resources: devising a timeline for the design of resources we'll be giving out at the march and surrounding events.
Feel free to suggest further items, and I'll add them - though I'd like to prioritize things that need to be sorted sooner rather than later!

Wouldn't it be easier in the weekends? Considering most are either working or studying at the weekdays, whilst most (especially ob sunday) are just lazing through the days if the weekends.

I will probably be around on Friday (have to get TC up and working first, though).

We probably should have someone taking minutes or something for the meeting, and post them up here for whoever is interested and can't make the meeting day.

I won't be able to attend unless the meeting occurs on a Wednesday (Living in a PST area makes times difficult), but I can record the meeting for reference if that's something people are okay with/interested in.

OK I'm closing the poll and the results are:

When should the first meeting take place? 3-5pm EST of...
  1. Tuesday 7 Jan (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. bullet_star_rated.png Wednesday 8 Jan (3 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

3. Thursday 9 Jan (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. Friday 10 Jan (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

5. None of the above. (1 votes [12.50%])

Let's hold the meeting on Wednesday 3-5pm EST. Sorry about not including a weekend option; I'll definitely do this next time.

I will take an audio and text recording, at least for when my computer doesn't cut out. At the start of the meeting I'll ask for volunteers to take notes in a google document. Or if anyone wants to volunteer now that'd be great!

Sorry about not including a weekend option; I'll definitely do this next time.

You could have done it when it was first mentioned? :p

Anyway, it is more practical, as 1500 (and earlier westwards) is esrly/in the working hours in america, and it is relativley late in Europe.

Captain Darkhorse

8-10 pm UK time translates to about 3-5 EST, 2-4 Central, 1-3 Mountain, and 12-2 Pacific time. For future meetings, there really needs to be a weekend option if the time is to remain the same.

Depending on location, Canada/the US is approximately 6-7 hours behind the UK.

• Like 1

8-10 pm UK time translates to about 3-5 EST, 2-4 Central, 1-3 Mountain, and 12-2 Pacific time. For future meetings, there really needs to be a weekend option if the time is to remain the same.

Depending on location, Canada/the US is approximately 6-7 hours behind the UK.

Yes - during this time period I will *always* be at work on weekdays, and I'm sure I'm not the only US\Canada member who would have a conflict here. I very occasionally log in from work for a couple ~minutes~ at a time when things are unusually slow...but even that's rare (and would be frowned upon if it was thought I was doing non-work stuff excessively). I'm still not sure yet I'll be able to *go* to WorldPride, but it would potentially be nice to pop in and keep up to date on things in the event that I can.

Omnes et Nihil

I'm planning on attending if I can manage it (and can figure out the technology).

Sounds good! I hope to see everyone there. I may just stay late after work so I don't leave the chat right in the middle of it.

I will take an audio and text recording, at least for when my computer doesn't cut out. At the start of the meeting I'll ask for volunteers to take notes in a google document. Or if anyone wants to volunteer now that'd be great!

If I can get the tinychat app to work, I'll join, and take notes.

EDIT: I can make it!

Edited by Robin L

Sorry about not including a weekend option; I'll definitely do this next time.

You could have done it when it was first mentioned? :P

Anyway, it is more practical, as 1500 (and earlier westwards) is esrly/in the working hours in america, and it is relativley late in Europe.

Yes that makes sense. I thought weekends were going to be bad for me. As it happens I could probably do this weekend after all. I'm contemplating making a second meeting covering the same ground but at the weekend, for those who cannot make Wednesday...

Ah that make sense. No worries though :P We got plenty of time, and looks like some will make it. I myself will most likely do it, as I start 1230 at school :P But I don't hope it is mandatory to use mic or cam?

But I don't hope it is mandatory to use mic or cam?

It's not mandatory to use either. You can use text instead.

So you choose recruiting mindless sheep to corporate america over this?! :angry:

Inflitrating their group, so you can know how to work around them. That is why you get the scholarship. Seriously, I'm joking, and good luck and hope you can make it next time :)

Just over an hour to go! I hope the technology won't let us down...

Omnes et Nihil

Unfortunately, I can't make it today afterall... big application is due and after all the kerfuffle with the paperwork and collecting all the parties' signature, I'm just heading off now to drop it off (on the other end of the city).

I'll try to check in if I get back before it's over. I hope the meeting goes well.