Binary Gender Identification

dAnCEr

Gender Poll  

1. 1. What gender do you identify as?

• Male
    • Female
  2. 2. Was there a moment when a light bulb was turned on and you realize your (a)sexuality? Or was it more gradual? (Females)

• Lightbulb
    • Gradual
    • I am a male
  3. 3. Was there a moment when a light bulb was turned on and you realize your (a)sexuality? Or was it more gradual? (Male)

• Lightbulb
    • Gradual
    • I am a female
  4. 4. Are you out of the closet? (Female)

• Yes
    • Only to some
    • No
    • I am a male
  5. 5. Are you out of the closet? (Male)

• Yes
    • Only to some
    • No
    • I am a female
  6. 6. Did your (a)sexuality take some getting used to? (Female)

• Yes
    • No
    • I am a male
  7. 7. Did your (a)sexuality take some getting used to? (Male)

• Yes
    • No
    • I am a female

This poll is closed to new votes

I realize that many asexuals are non-Binary Gender. However I am curious as to the ratio of males and females and why this may be. For the purpose of statistics it is much easier to only use Binary Gender. Please do not respond if you are sexual, and if you are non-Binary Gender, please try to pick one.

I am conducting this because the AVEN survey several years ago only had a sample size of 300. I am hoping that I can get a larger, or at least similar number. I am wondering how many men are asexual because in the AVEN survey, only 29% were men. This is probably due to how sexualized masculine society is, or due to a small sample size.

I don't identify as neither gender, but I was born female so I used that :)

1. Female

2. No

3. I am a girl

4. Only to some

5. I am a girl

sound_the_bugle

Oops. I was using arrows to scroll and that changed my answer on the question to "yes" rather than "I am a girl."

But can I make a suggestion, OP? Don't use "girl" and "man". Nice job making women less adult and relevant to society as a whole by using the term for a child for women and for adults for men.

And yes, that was mildly passive aggressive, but I'm not going to apologize for it. I suggest changing "girl" to "woman," or "man" to "boy."

Oops. I was using arrows to scroll and that changed my answer on the question to "yes" rather than "I am a girl."

But can I make a suggestion, OP? Don't use "girl" and "man". Nice job making women less adult and relevant to society as a whole by using the term for a child for women and for adults for men.

And yes, that was mildly passive aggressive, but I'm not going to apologize for it. I suggest changing "girl" to "woman," or "man" to "boy."

I had a feeling someone might point this out after I posted it. Thanks for the correction

sound_the_bugle

I had a feeling someone might point this out after I posted it. Thanks for the correction

Thanks for changing it. And, actually, I should apologize for the passive aggression. That wasn't fair of me.

Thanks for changing it. And, actually, I should apologize for the passive aggression. That wasn't fair of me.

I was expecting and am glad someone called me out on this. Actually it was a bit of laziness on my part. I chose the shortest word for each gender. Sorry to offend anyone and I apologize.

You do realise that this survey isn't going to tell you anything about the AVEN population's biological sex rate, right? MtF people will respond as female, and FtM people will respond as male. And a survey on genders that doesn't include non-binary genders seems... rather incomplete, to me.

But, whatever works for you! I'm non-binary and I don't want to pick either, for the record.

You do realise that this survey isn't going to tell you anything about the AVEN population's biological sex rate, right? MtF people will respond as female, and FtM people will respond as male. And a survey on genders that doesn't include non-binary genders seems... rather incomplete, to me.

But, whatever works for you! I'm non-binary and I don't want to pick either, for the record.

I understood when I wrote this poll that some people would feel excluded. I am not purposely trying to make you or anybody else feel alienated. In the title I purposely used the words Binary and Identification. This was not to make anybody feel excluded, I was simply trying to make a poll to the best of my abilities that would provide information on the number of aces that identify as male and female.

How is "man" a shorter word than "boy"?

Ummm. Not so sure

I had meant to include those q's.

Why were questions added after people already voted? /End minor annoyance.

It is annoying to me too.

I've been wondering why non binary genders weren't included in this poll as i think that its also valid information to gather.

Quintus Crinis

Just as a disclaimer - I took the poll identifying as male (though in practise I would probably be best described as ambivalent or gender-fluid).

I realised that there was a term to explain my feelings as a lightbulb (stumbling across Hot Pieces of Ace and Swankivy youtube channels by good fortune in May 2013). However I had been open about having no sexual attraction many years ago and slowly realised that I was - so I thought at the time - alone in feeling that way.
I guess I could therefore say both - but in realising asexuality specifically (I'd spent years assuming, but not really believing, myself to be bisexual) it was a lightbulb situation.

I've told most people I could and put it (albeit slightly hidden) as a facebook status - so I'm as out as I can be and certainly trying to be as open as I can.

To be honest in having a way to describe/explain my feelings I'm still getting used to it (especially in trying to get rid of unhelpful preconceptions about relationships/normal behaviour I spent years trying to force on myself). So for me it's more about dealing with the damage I have done by trying to be like everybody else rather than accepting my asexuality.

That's longer than I meant it to be, but hopefully it makes sense,

Robert. :)

• 9 months later...

I was told that I was asexual by a counsellor, and accepted the fact there and then. I've never been sexual, but just hadn't accepted the fact. I am completely open to everyone with regards to asexuality

• 2 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived