Free Hugs group at WP

Robin L

So fellow member brought up the idea of having a free hugs group at WorldPride. With everyone wearing t-shirts or signs with FREE HUGS written on it.

Thoughts, anyone?

DISCLAIMER: I will not be at WP

• Like 1
iamphoenixfire

Well, I think it's awesome. However, some people don't like hugs. But, save that, I think it's a pretty great idea.

Sounds like a great idea, though I'll admit, I would not be likely to participate. The first time someone approached me, smiling, arms spread, I would probably flee the city.

• Like 2
Notte stellata

I'm not sure if I can make it to WP, but if I can, I'll definitely join this! I've offered free hugs before and enjoyed the experience very much.

Regarding the previous two posters' concerns, this group should only be for people who are comfortable offering free hugs, and we should let people approach us, so people who don't want hugs won't be pressured to do so or have a panic attack. :P

• Like 1

I may or may not be at WP - several factors including whether or not I get time off work and a passport will yet determine that. But - I agree with the sentiments above; great idea...so long as participation is optional. I'm barely comfortable hugging family members, let alone random strangers.

Well, yes. Participation is optional and voluntary! Maybe I didn't make that clear.

I am thinking a small group of around 4-8 people, and meet at a specific time and place.

As one of the people who don't like being hugged, as long as it is opt-in (IE the person has to ask to be hugged), go for it. I would just prefer not being randomly hugged by people, I tend to freak out a bit.

Other than that, I say rock on!

If I'm not mistaken, Free Hugs groups do not just randomly hug people. They wait until the other person comes to them (hence the T-shirts).

Notte stellata

If I'm not mistaken, Free Hugs groups do not just randomly hug people. They wait until the other person comes to them (hence the T-shirts).

True. They let people know they're open to hugging anyone (by holding signs or wearing T-shirts), so people who want hugs can approach them.

I think signs might work better than T-shirts, because signs convey the messages more clearly. Or a combination of both: everyone wears a T-shirt, and some of them also hold signs.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I was at Toronto pride 2013 and this was already being done. People wearing free hug t-shirts... Don't know if it was asexual group or what. I think its an awesome idea though so I support it 110%!!

I just wanted to add I personally wished that someone was dressed up in a big teddy bear costume wearing a free hugs tshirt. I personally would have gone for that hug.

I was at Toronto pride 2013 and this was already being done. People wearing free hug t-shirts... Don't know if it was asexual group or what. I think its an awesome idea though so I support it 110%!!

I just wanted to add I personally wished that someone was dressed up in a big teddy bear costume wearing a free hugs tshirt. I personally would have gone for that hug.

I'm not really a big fan of hugging strangers but I would totally go in for a hug with a giant teddy bear!!

Way cool. :)

And yes, the signs work well. A free hug person will hug anyone who comes up to them for a hug. I saw a small group in Catania, Italy during that trip.

freehugs.jpg

• Like 1

My only concern with the giant teddy bear idea is......isn't this right at the beginning of summer? Yeah, this is Canada, but last I checked I thought it still got kinda hot in Toronto. Add a furry full-body suit to that?!

Maybe some people are more heat tolerant than I am though. Either way, someone would need to check on that person regularly as well as some pretty frequent suit-swapping (and making sure everyone's well hydrated would be a must). I know *I* would probably be done from heat exhaustion\heat stroke within the hour though.

• 2 months later...
littlepersonparadox

I could be one of the people in the suit. I get cold easy. I would probably do sweat pants and a shirt with a sweater year round even in the summer. I don't get hot easy. My friends and family joke that i must be a reptilion im so cold. Although i would only do this if i could swap out with some other people every now and then. The only issue i see for myself personally is i use washrooms a lot.

fyi i do wear all that clothing year round.

Yes, Toronto can get hot in the summer. Last year we hit highs over 100F. Several years before, we had highs around 70. (40 and 20 C for those using real units). Keep that in mind when packing your clothes for the trip, and check the weather reports before you head out. Toronto can get some drastic temperature shifts, but, in the summer and winter, it tends to stay around one temperature for a while.

Squirrel Combat

Hooray!! Free Hugs!! :D

• 1 month later...

awesome :)

• 3 weeks later...
Inafingersnap

Is there a Free Hugs group set up? I'd love to join!

So fellow member brought up the idea of having a free hugs group at WorldPride. With everyone wearing t-shirts or signs with FREE HUGS written on it.

Thoughts, anyone?

DISCLAIMER: I will not be at WP

NO!!! NO!!! NO !!!!! NO!!!! Well I guess some people can hugs while others can just hug themselves.

• 8 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator