Spock Jr's MOM here. (Gasp!)

Mom

Hello Spock's Mom!

*waves*

I'm fashionably late in saying hi but I do have some :cake: I'm carrying around this forum if you want any more.

Hi SpockJr's Mum.

Sorry, I'm getting from unfashionably late to just tardy. I've just found the :cake: . I wondered where it was hiding!

Camelot I can't tell if I've touched a nerve for you, or if you're just so happy to finally be able to put your feelings into words.

I am surprised that I am so accepted by all of you here, because, I am not an asexual.

All My Love,

Mom

Dear Mom (may I call you that?) :D

Thanks for your lovely answer! Yes, you did indeed touch a nerve for me, or rather, you touched on my pet peeve - that is, how much I dislike the present times (and that is putting it mildly) and how much I yearn to live in more tender and decent times! Whatever happened to good clean fun?!

Some of my hobbies are collecting American magazines mainly from the 40s, 50s and early 60s, and watching movies from the golden age of Hollywood (full of romance but completely sex-free), so you can see why, reading about those times, I've fallen in love with them and yearn with all my heart to live in them! That doesn't mean to say that I'm not aware that there were many problems then too, but for me, being able to live in a time that valued the beauty of the human spirit, grace, nobility, values and decency, coupled with romance and charm - far outweighs the shortbacks!

Oh, and about asexuality - I'm not sure just how asexual I am since I'm definitely romantically attracted to guys but I've been so turned off by the whole sex scene that it feels like I want nothing to do with it - but I'm not closing the door entirely in case there might be some supremely wonderful person out there - of course, he'd have to marry me first! :wink:

Twister:

Good morning...

Spockie's going to have a hard time with one of my brothers, for sure, if Bro' ever clues into this whole "A" stance. My brother and I have gone for YEARS not speaking, over things Bro has said to gay people, etc. I had a Black (male) friend once ... Not a boyfriend, but someone who was HELPING me tremendously, to deal with difficulties in my life. Anyway, my friend called me one day, at my brother's house, and Bro yanked the phone out of my hands and said "If you ever come near my house, I'm gonna wet your big fat N***** lips and stick you to the ceiling!" I WAS LIVID! Walked out of his house, and never spoke to him for MANY years, over that!

Ooh, just let my Bro' say one tiny word of recrimination towards my son... Just let him TRY!

This world always astounds me, by it's capacity for cruelty. Especially when it is directed at people who are doing nothing at all wrong.

BTW, no need to apologize for "prattling" to me. Errr, I am rather outspoken, and verbose myself. Perhaps you've noticed? hehehehe....

Love,

Mom

Nero Laughed! Now Mom laughed!!!

I'm sure you're familiar with the "rock opera" Jesus Christ Superstar?

I used to scandalize people by wandering around INTENTIONALLY singing the lyrics...

"I always wanted to be an apostle.

Knew that I could make it, if I tried.

Then when I retire, I could write the gospel

So they'll all remember me, when I've died."

Hehehehe... Haven't thought of that song for many years! Catchy tune. Thanks for the memory!

Love,

Mom

Am and Rek... More cake? For breakfast? Yummm!!!

Ummm... need COFFEEEEEE.......

Lovely to meet you two also...

Love,

Mom

Camelot, OF COURSE Darling. My name on the site is "Mom". What else can you call me? "Mom" is a role I have carried for decades with great joy!

I'm glad it was your pet peeve, and not something I had said wrong. Sometimes expressing a pet peeve helps us sort out WHY it is a pet peeve. And helps us formulate with greater clarity, why we do not agree with the prevailing attitude.

Tender and decent times exist, sweetie, at all times, since the dawn of time. It is just that in some eras, it gets a little harder to find. But all that means is that when we do find it, oh lord, it is magnificent.

The candle always shines brightest in the darkest room.

There is no reason on earth, why you cannot expect, and BRING and GIVE "grace, and nobility, and values and decency, and charm and romance" into TODAY's era. Lord knows the world today sure could use it!

Camelot, I can't even buy newspapers anymore! All I see is hatred, and violence and war. It's like a giant celebration of EVIL! "The New Religion"!

But that doesn't make me yearn for gentler times. It just makes me yearn to walk around TODAY, and be a good and gentle person, if for no other reason but to OFFSET the prevailing attitude of greed and harm.

I get patted on the head a lot, and called things like "Utopian Dreamer" all the time.

But you know what? I kinda LIKE THAT about myself!

As for actual "marriage" to a partner. Well hon. I've been legally married TWICE! Hated every second of it!

But the GREATEST "marriage of souls" I ever was prileged to experience was with a common law husband, who died a few years back. I still YEARN to be in that MARRIAGE, for every second of my day!

Marriage doesn't happen on paper, or in a Church. It happens between two SOULS.

And SOULS are things, our society just doesn't seem to even acknowledge anymore.

What a shame, eh?

I bow most humbly, to YOUR gentle soul, Camelot.

All My Love,

Mom

Marriage doesn't happen on paper, or in a Church. It happens between two SOULS.

Thank you! People just DO NOT get that.

How about thesaurususesesezzz....

Ooh, new word!

Man, I missed this thread. Serves me right for not checking the forums more often.

Mom - a heartfelt WELCOME TO AVEN! It's great to read all the things you've been posting here. I think I'm jealous of Spock for having such an awesome mom!

I really hope you'll enjoy yourself here and stick around. And, of course: :cake: !

Jennyanydots

Welcome to AVEN Mom. I'm sorry I'm so late but I wanted to welcome you anyways! Hurrah for open-minded moms like you. My Mom is accepting of me being asexual and all, but I wouldn't say that she is open-minded. I hope that you will make more posts in the future cause I really enjoyed reading what you and everyone else had to say!

Jen

Mom, thanks so much for your wonderful reply! I really appreciate it!

My problem (and also my asset) is that I'm a super-sensitive person and have a hard time dealing with what goes on these days - that's why I may sound upset when I talk about how I feel about the lack of morals etc. today - in fact, I get so upset thinking about it I get tears in my eyes. It comes out of a sense of frustration with being "stuck" in a time where "the inmates have taken over the asylum", or so it seems..........

"I just wasn't made for these times" is a lovely song by Brian Wilson (The Beach Boys) and that kind of says it all. Thanks for your understanding and your sense of humour, Mom, you're the tops! :)

Howdy Mom, and a thousand BIG welcomes to AVEN!

Have some more :cake: if you can stand it, as well as beverages of your choice.

I've read a lot of your posts already, in a number of different forums, and all I can say is WOW! I was sitting there with a big silly grin on my face!

It's good to have you here. We all love Spockie dearly, and now I can see where he gets a lot of his humour as well as his wisdom. You have every right to be incredibly proud of him.

I'm another relic from the 50's, and I agree with much of what has already been said regarding the moral collapse of our society. It's truly hard to imagine how any parent could be disturbed instead of overjoyed to find out that they have an asexual child, but, sadly, it happens quite often.

All too often it seems to revolve around them feeling that they are being cheated out of the grandchildren that they expected. I like to think that they will eventually get past that rather selfish reaction, but it seems to take longer with some people than with others.

Other times I think they are worried that their children are doomed to lives of misery and isolation. Thankfully, that isn't the case at all.

*gets back to work engraving Mom's name on an AS3 badge*

-Greybird

Jennyanydots
It's truly hard to imagine how any parent could be disturbed instead of overjoyed to find out that they have an asexual child, but, sadly, it happens quite often.

All too often it seems to revolve around them feeling that they are being cheated out of the grandchildren that they expected.

Luckily, my mom believes that our society has collapsed morally, too. Thus, she is ok with me being A and not wanting to have children. Wow, I am so lucky!

Ari, please don't think I've been a perfect Mom. I'm sure I've made many mistakes along the way, because parenting is the only career one embarks upon with absolutely no training. And you have to literally "fly by the seat of your pants", for DECADES! When I think of all the times, I screwed up as a Mom, well... I'm just fortunate that Spockie's got a very forgiving soul!

Love,

Mom

Jenny, I LOVE T.S. Eliot... Boy, no one understood the working of feline minds, like he did!

I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots;

Her equal would be hard to find, she likes the warm and sunny spots.

All day she sits beside the hearth or on the bed or on my hat:

She sits and sits and sits and sits--and that's what makes a Gumbie Cat!

But when the day's hustle and bustle is done,

Then the Gumbie Cat's work is but hardly begun.

She thinks that the cockroaches just need employment

To prevent them from idle and wanton destroyment.

So she's formed, from that lot of disorderly louts,

A troop of well-disciplined helpful boy-scouts,

With a purpose in life and a good deed to do--

And she's even created a Beetles' Tattoo.

Love,

Mom

Camelot, one of the wisest tthings a friend ever said to me, when I was only 22 years old ... well, I'll now pass it on to you, hon. He said,

"You're not wrong. It's the rest of the world that F***ED!"

Once you know that, serenity replaces frustration!

Love,

Mom

Greybird: QUOTE: "It's good to have you here. We all love Spockie dearly, and now I can see where he gets a lot of his humour as well as his wisdom. You have every right to be incredibly proud of him."

I'll better I love him more dearly than all of you...hehehehe...

And yes, he is simultaneously hilarious, and a deep-thinking philosopher. Sometimes, I wish he'd show the depths of his philosophy more often. Alas, this world distrusts the wisdom of the young!

I never have though. I knew he was a ponderous sort from the git-go. I can't tell you, how many times he'd start talking, and I'd say "Wait, Norman. Let me get a pencil and paper, because this is important!" I wrote down so many of our conversations, over the years!

The mathematics of Beethovan's music, at the age of 5... His theory of "The 99 levels of Heaven" at the age of 6 and 1/2! His first appearance in a newspaper, at the age of 8; telling ADULTS a thing or two about judging others, saying "Don't you guys know how wrong that is??? Gee, I'm only 8 years old, and I know THAT!" I still have that newsclipping!

Greybird, unlike all of you, I have had the privilege of witnessing,and cherishing sooooo much to be proud of in my son!!!

~~~~~

As for them grandchildren, the day I'm gonna offer up my boy-child as an "egg-fertilizer" so I can brag that I have grandchildren, well if that day ever comes, someone should take away my Mommy licence. Especially when there are MILLIONS of children who are already in this world, who could do with a little more nurturance. My God, there is a child who dies in this world EVERY THREE SECONDS due to poverty and hunger alone! Never mind war, and AIDS and... and...

~~~~~

My son isn't "doomed to a life of misery and isolation". He's always been self-sufficent, in thought and deed. He's never needed anyone to "complete him". I'll give you an example.

Three years old... Christmas shopping with him... He disappears... Every parent's nightmare, right?

So I retrace my steps looking through every store we've been in, frantically asking cashiers and passersby "Have you seen a little boy dressed in a blue shirt..."

Suddenly, I hear NORMAN on the public address system for the whole stinkin' shopping mall. He'd found his own way to the mall's security office, and he'd convinced them to let him have the microphone to announce:

"Would Mrs. B________ please come to the security office, because YOU'RE LOST!" :shock:

You should have seen the mall security guys laughing their butts off at me, when I showed up "as summoned" by YOUR dear Spockie!!!! 8)

Love,

Mom

(I'm talking too much again, aren't I? Maybe, now you guys understand his ever-escalating POST COUNT? Talking and writing has been a constant activity in our hourse, since the day he was born!)

Thought I would offer some coffee while I was passing your way.

Jennyanydots
Jenny, I LOVE T.S. Eliot... Boy, no one understood the working of feline minds, like he did!

Wow! Most people think I got Jennyanydots from Lloyd-Weber's "Cats," but you're right, I got it from TS Eliot's poem instead. Isn't TS Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cat's" awesome!!!! I have the one with drawings by Edward Gorey--his drawings are absolutely hysterical!

I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots; (that's me!) :lol:

The curtain-cord she likes to wind, and tie it into sailor-knots.

She sits upon the window-sill, or anything that's smooth and flat;

She sits and sits and sits and sits--and that's what makes a Gumbie Cat!

So for Old Gumbie Cats let us now give three cheers--

On whom well-ordered households depend, it appears. (unfortunately that's not me) :lol:

Mom, you're great to have picked up that allusion! Three cheers for you--and have some more cake :cake:

Jennyanydots

By the way Mom, I also like the Emerson quote that you use! It's one of my faves. I wish I could make those lines my religion! :wink:

Oh Amcan, ANYBODY who brings me coffee in the morning is automatically nominated for sainthood, and gets a coupon that I am their official halo-polisher, for a year!!!

Thank you!

Love,

Mom (<---- who has a SERIOUS caffeine addiction!)

EEK!!! Norman had the Gorey book also!!! Front cover hada fountain on it, with assorted cats in top hats with canes lounging around...

Eliot wrote some amazing poetry. His capacity ro rhyming was unsurpassable! And he REALLY did understand cats, on a visceral, "SOUL" level!

Another quote of his:

The Naming of Cats

The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,

It isn't just one of your holiday games;

You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter

When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.

First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,

Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,

Such as Victor or Jonathan, George or Bill Bailey--

All of them sensible everyday names.

There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,

Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:

Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter--

But all of them sensible everyday names.

But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,

A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,

Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,

Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?

Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,

Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,

Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum-

Names that never belong to more than one cat.

But above and beyond there's still one name left over,

And that is the name that you never will guess;

The name that no human research can discover--

But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.

When you notice a cat in profound meditation,

The reason, I tell you, is always the same:

His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation

Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:

His ineffable effable

Effanineffable

Deep and inscrutable singular Name.

P.S: JenDarling: The quote in my signature IS my religion! I use it on every website, in every email...

You can make ANYTHING your religion, dear heart!

Why I am sure you don't have to look far, to find someone who's religion is violence, for example...

Love.

Mom

Jennyanydots

Mom,

That's another of my favourite poems in the "Practical Cats" book. TS Eliot IS indeed brilliant at depicting the way cats work! He is good at rhyming and also rhythm. Take for instance the last section of "The Hollow Men:"

Here we go round the prickly pear

Prickly pear prickly pear

Here we go round the prickly pear

At five o'clock in the morning.

Between the idea

And the reality

Between the motion

And the act

Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception

And the creation

Between the emotion

And the response

Falls the Shadow

Life is very long

Between the desire

And the spasm

Between the potency

And the existence

Between teh essence

And the descent

Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is

Life is

For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends

Not with a bang but a whimper.

Can't you just feel the pounding rhythm of these lines? It gets more and more intense and then the end stanza is rather shocking: Not with a bang but a whimper. After that buildup of tension I expected a BANG. However, I'm not disappointed with the whimper--maybe deeply sad, but in a very satisfying way! What great catharsis!!! TS Eliot is amazing, isn't he?

Oh and we mustn't forget J. Alfred Prufrock... I love his words like "etherized" and "insidious". In a modern world where people think rhyming "love with above", and "life with wife" and "ooh, Baby, Baby..." Eliot's rhymes are like SYMPHONIES!

He was only about 24 years old, when he wrote Prufrock. That just blows me away!!!

~~~~~~~

Oh, LET us go then, you and I,

When the evening is spread out against the sky

Like a patient etherised upon a table;

Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,

The muttering retreats

Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels

And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:

Streets that follow like a tedious argument

Of insidious intent

To lead you to an overwhelming question …

Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”

Let us go and make our visit.

In the room the women come and go

Talking of Michelangelo.

T.S. Elliot.... J Alfred Prufrock... *sniff* you guys are reminding me of my American Lit class :D

Jennyanydots

I also love these two lines from J Alfred Prufrock:

I should have been a pair of ragged claws

Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Isn't that beautiful!!!! "...Scuttling across the floors of silent seas." Eliot effortlessly transports me to the bottom of the sea. I can feel the gentle rocking of the ocean as my legs are caressed with slippery strands of seaweed. I can see the ragged claws through the bluish atmosphere of the ocean depths. And I am enshrouded by the overwhelming silence of the sea.

My reverie ends as I suddenly realise that I have to go to work.

Hi Cartoonist, I also miss my American Lit class!!!!!

Mom,

I will make it a point to bring cofffee into this thread ona regular basis.

Why here's some now.

Oh Amcan, ANYBODY who brings me coffee in the morning is automatically nominated for sainthood, and gets a coupon that I am their official halo-polisher, for a year!!!

I could bring coffee, but I keep my halo put away right now so it doesn't get tarnished. I think I might've even lost it. *giggles*

"Would Mrs. B________ please come to the security office, because YOU'RE LOST!" :shock:

*dies laughing* That's hilarious.

EEK!!! Norman had the Gorey book also!!! Front cover hada fountain on it, with assorted cats in top hats with canes lounging around...

I had that one, myself. *similarities becomeing just too ... freaking ... creepy ... !* Of course, I doubt if that particular volume was too particularly rare. . . If he had the Gorey anthologies, Amphigorey, Amphigorey Too and Amphigorey Also, then I will worry about the possibility of there being Canadian Pod People. . . :D

And everybody knows (well, maybe not everybody, but a LOT of people, anyway. . . .) if you want coffee around here, you come to me. *runs off to grab his coffee roaster and vacuum brewer*

Archived