Music videos? Do you watch them?

littleheartsofjoy

Music videos (read post before replying)  

1. 1. Do you watch them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do
  2. 2. How do you feel about them (in general)?

• I love/like them
    • I hate/dislike them
    • I'm indifferent, I don't really care enough to have a feeling towards them
  3. 3. If you do watch them, why do you?

• I like to see how the music video would be done for that song
    • I'm interested in the outfit(s)
    • I like to stare at the artist/band
    • Other (please explain)
    • I don't watch them; N/A
  4. 4. If you don't watch them, why don't you?

• I only like to hear the song
    • I think they are awkward (or just ridiculous) to watch
    • They ruin the song for me
    • Other (please explain)
    • I do watch them; N/A

This poll is closed to new votes

When having lunch at certain places I stare at the TV running a music channel out of boredom. - Its hard for me to ignore TVs. - I've been living without one for 12 years.

When I like a song enough to want to hear it I usually search for the video online. - I'm usually way too cheap to buy music and filesharing seems too risky those day and too much of a social effort too. + all the hassle with borrowing copying filing music.

I'm pretty indifferent about videos in total. I dislike a lot of them a few seem well made and at least they add another layer to a song.

I love music videos!

I think they can be really creative.

I feel like I'd direct a music video if I ever directed anything vs. direct a movie. I feel like there's more room for creativity with a music video than with a movie, so, really cool outfits and concepts are fun to me.

I really like this music video (and I'm addicted to this song right now):

girltwink666

I'm not sure what most music videos are like but the ones I find are always little gems

Oh and whoever posted the EitS video you are a great person :3

• 1 month later...

i like music videos of bands i like and i'd watch them more if i had a working laptop.

WhenSummersGone

Sometimes and I'm indifferent to them usually. I like to see how the music video would be done for that song and I like to stare at the artist/band. I find songs are better than the videos.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I watch them sometimes, I like to see what they come up with, although some of them are just stupid >.<

• 3 weeks later...
TheStarrySkai

Since I'm a kpop fan I'm usually very interested in what the choreography is going to be. I'm also interested in the concept of the video.

I'm also a visual kei fan so I'm interested in what the band members are gonna wear.

jupiter.jpg

I never watch them. I like better what I see in my head, and I'm afraid if I see the music video I'll be disappointed and this will change my vision of the song I love.

I look up music on YouTube all the time. It's even helped me find new bands to get into. And it helps keep up a little bit of what those bands are doing.

big4image.jpg

Like this.

• 1 month later...

I only watch them when I don't own a song and can't find a lyric video. I usually don't like them but I like a few.

SquirrelCat

Rarely.

Becuase I usually don't like them. I'll only watch the music video when I can't find the song in a lyrics vid.

Sometimes it's the costumes, the sets, or the storyline. I am even willing to buy a music video if I like it, because to me they can be like visual short stories. However, for some songs, the music video is not what I would have expected or I don't like it, in which case I will just listen to the songs or a lyric video. I have been in stores where they play music videos with things like fragrance commercials but run the radio or a different audio track over them which I liked because it allows interpretation of the videos separate from their respective audio. I think I've also seen this at clubs.

ChihuahuaDaddy

I rarely watch music videos, but sometimes I do stumble upon one that I like.

My favorites:

This one makes me laugh. It is the music video of "Танцуй, Россия!" ("Dance, Russia!") by Glukoza. Even if you don't know any Russian, you can figure out what it is about.

("Танцуй, Россия! И плач Европа! А у меня самая, самая, самая красивая попа!" = "Dance, Russia! And cry Europe! I have the most beautiful ass!")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcw8tpJhy5k

"She's Got Issues" by the Offspring. Hmmmm. Would it be one of my favorite music videos if it were, say, Scarlett Johansen rather than Zooey Deschanel in the role? Probably not. Eye candy has always been used in music videos to lure viewers in. Oh well, here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kenF3_77774

"On My Own" by Employee of the Year. Another example of one of my dream girls, in this case Helena Soubeyrand, luring me in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-OC69CkZmQ

binary suns

I get bored when the vid is all like ooh look at the artists ooh look at them more but I like vids that include the band members in it,

I like looking at the expression of the vid

TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

I don't watch music videos very often, and when I do, I tend to just watch it once and continue listening to just the song itself.

I was a little confused on how to answer the "how do you feel about them" question, as I like some and dislike others. I ended up voting that I like them.

Squirrel Combat

Sometimes I watch the ones on YouTube, but mostly for the music only. I will watch the video part over and over again if it's really stupid and thus funny. :P

The Once-ler

The main reason I don't listen to music videos is that most of the songs I listen to don't have them.

Like, there's only one existing video of my all-time favourite artist playing and it's not a music video.

• 2 months later...

I watch music videos quite a bit, as a lot of my listening is from Youtube, where they are all videos.

I watch them on YouTube as I don't have a television and also because it's the only way I can get music by my favourite male musician whose music is not available in Britain. But I am largely indifferent to them (apart from those by him). Also since I dislike 1990s music and 21st century music, I'm not really bothered.

For, "If you do watch them, why do you?" I chose other because I just like watching them, I do not have a particular reason.

I usually watch the lyrics version with no video, most of the ones for modern music are just girls dancing around so I prefer lyrical versions with no video

RoswellValentine

Depending on how curious I am about music videos for bands and/or hearing about music videos, I may watch them. I don't watch music videos often, and listen to the song most of the time as I tend to multitask. Sometimes, I like to look at the outfits the band members and/or characters are wearing in the video. Other times, it's interesting to see what "story" or video puts to the song.

I mostly watch vids from the 1990's too.

Me too. I rarely watch 'new' ones - I'm speaking of vids that were made after 2002 - though I must admit that quite a few original videos were created in the last 10 years that are well worth seeing.

• 2 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived