• On the aromantic spectrum
    • I do not have an auditory SPD
  3. 3. I have a tactile SPD and I'm...

• Asexual
    • Demi-sexual
    • Gray-asexual
    • I do not have a tactile SPD
  4. 4. I have an olfactory SPD and I'm...

• Asexual
    • Demi-sexual
    • Gray-asexual
    • I do not have an olfactory SPD
  5. 5. I have a gustatory SPD and I'm...

• Asexual
    • Demi-sexual
    • Gray-asexual
    • I do not have a gustatory SPD
  6. 6. I have a proprioceptive SPD and I'm...

• Asexual
    • Demi-sexual
    • Gray-asexual
    • I do not have a proprioceptive SPD
  7. 7. I have a vestibular SPD and I'm...

• Asexual
    • Demi-sexual
    • Gray-asexual
    • I do not have a vestibular SPD
  8. 8. How did you arrive at the diagnosis?

• Medical professional
    • Self-diagnosis, but sure
    • Self-diagnosis, but unsure
    • I do not have SPD

This poll is closed to new votes

This is a question that's really been on my mind after coming to terms with some of my own neurological quirks lately. I have several senses that I process abnormally, and one of them I feel has a lot to do with my orientation as an asexual for various reasons that I'm not going to go into here. But something I've been curious to know is what the rate of SPD or SPD-like feelings/experiences/symptoms within asexual people is compared to the general population. (Stats for which are pretty easy to find elsewhere, so please only answer if you're ace- or aro-spectrum.)

For info on what this is and how it may affect certain people, here are some links on the different senses:

alpacaterpillar

Does not having olfactory bulbs (and hence being completely unable to smell) count as an olfactory processing disorder?

Hm.... for this, sure, though I have no idea if it counts in the medical sense. (I think these are typically considered to be neurological rather than physiological?)

alpacaterpillar

Isn't my neurology part of my physiology? :P At least, the brain part?

I think the olfactory bulbs are technically part of the brain, and if I have part of my brain missing from birth... a disorder is basically damage to a part of the brain, right?

I am asexual and checked that I have sensory issues for everything (even though proprioceptive only has a few, I still have other characteristics of it). I also chose "self diagnosis, but sure." I will be going to get an autism spectrum diagnosis in the next few months. I haven't scheduled the testing appointments yet because I'm just trying to survive the holidays. >_< Everything listed is true for me.

SIGNS OF VISUAL INPUT DYSFUNCTION (no diagnosed visual deficit):

My visual issues prevent me from driving. One major issue I have that isn't listed is reading things, like reading signs when driving and reading signs/products in grocery stores. It's very difficult for me to do.I also have a strong aversion to certain colors, like black, red, extremely dark colors, sometimes blue. I have difficulty using and eating things that are those colors.

1. HYPERSENSITIVITY TO VISUAL INPUT (over-responsiveness)

- sensitive to bright lights; will squint, cover eyes, cry and/or get headaches from the light (I wear sunglasses whenever I go out, even at night. I'm also very particular about lighting, like which lights are turned on)

- has difficulty keeping eyes focused on task/activity he/she is working on for an appropriate amount of time (things that are bright, like games on my iPod, can keep my attention and focus for maybe 15-20 mins with Ritalin, though)

- easily distracted by other visual stimuli in the room; i.e., movement, decorations, toys, windows, doorways etc. (windows, red lights, intense clutter)

- has difficulty in bright colorful rooms or a dimly lit room (I prefer dimly lot rooms)

- rubs his/her eyes, has watery eyes or gets headaches after reading or watching TV

- enjoys playing in the dark (I did this all the time as a kid)

2. HYPOSENSITIVITY TO VISUAL INPUT (under-responsive or difficulty with tracking, discrimination, or perception):

*** - has a hard time seeing the big picture; i.e., focuses on the details or patterns within the picture (I'm not sure if I experience this.... A lot of times, I can't tell what it is that I'm looking at, like people's avatars, because I can only see some of the shapes and colors but can't make sense of it)

- has difficulty locating items among other items; i.e., papers on a desk, clothes in a drawer, items on a grocery shelf, or toys in a bin/toy box (this is a huge issue for me and makes cleaning extremely difficult)

- often loses place when copying from a book or the chalkboard

- often loses his/her place while reading or doing math problems

SIGNS OF TACTILE DYSFUNCTION:

1. HYPERSENSITIVITY TO TOUCH (tactile defensiveness):

- becomes fearful, anxious or aggressive with light or unexpected touch

- appears fearful of, or avoids standing in close proximity to other people or peers (especially in lines)

- becomes frightened when touched from behind or by someone/something they can not see (such as under a blanket)

- complains about having hair brushed; may be very picky about using a particular brush

- bothered by rough bed sheets (i.e., if old and bumpy)

- resists friendly or affectionate touch from anyone besides parents or siblings (and sometimes them too!)

- dislikes kisses, will wipe off place where kissed

- avoids touching certain textures of material (blankets, rugs, stuffed animals) (OMG I HATE CARPET!!! among other things)

- refuses to wear new or stiff clothes, clothes with rough textures, turtlenecks, jeans, hats, or belts, etc.

- will be distressed by dirty hands and want to wipe or wash them frequently (I go through a roll of paper towels a day because I can't stand wet hands whilst I cook, so I dry them constantly)

- distressed by seams in socks and may refuse to wear them (I only wear certain fabrics and fits, and I wear them inside out! ^-^)

- distressed by clothes rubbing on skin; may want to wear shorts and short sleeves year round, toddlers may prefer to be naked and pull diapers and clothes off constantly (thin, stretchy tank tops and pajama pants, inside out to avoid seams [though I wear them correctly when I go out])

- or, may want to wear long sleeve shirts and long pants year round to avoid having skin exposed

- distressed about having face washed

- distressed about having hair, toenails, or fingernails cut (I hate filing them, but having long fingernails feels way worse)

- resists brushing teeth and is extremely fearful of the dentist (I can't brush my teeth, it makes me want to die, so I do other things to clean them)

- is a picky eater, only eating certain tastes and textures; mixed textures tend to be avoided as well as hot or cold foods; resists trying new foods (I eat soup for every meal of every day ^o^)

- may refuse to walk barefoot on grass or sand

- may walk on toes only (I walk toes first, and tend to run on my toes)

2. HYPOSENSITIVITY TO TOUCH (under-responsive):

- repeatedly touches surfaces or objects that are soothing (i.e., blanket) (my kimono, I tend to rub my pants or legs)

3. POOR TACTILE PERCEPTION AND DISCRIMINATION:

I have fantastic fine motor skills and this is proof!

994296_171241413049766_744628490_n.jpg?d

SIGNS OF AUDITORY DYSFUNCTION: (no diagnosed hearing problem)

I also have some synesthesia and sometimes physically feel sounds.

1. HYPERSENSITIVITY TO SOUNDS (auditory defensiveness):

- distracted by sounds not normally noticed by others; i.e., humming of lights or refrigerators, fans, heaters, or clocks ticking

- fearful of the sound of a flushing toilet (especially in public bathrooms), vacuum, hairdryer, squeaky shoes, or a dog barking (also lawn mower, snow blower, iron board that piercingly squeaks when opened, garbage disposal, the emergency alert on tv, cutting things on a glass cutting board, and so many more...)

- startled by or distracted by loud or unexpected sounds

- bothered/distracted by background environmental sounds; i.e., lawn mowing or outside construction

- frequently asks people to be quiet; i.e., stop making noise, talking, or singing (I actually usually ask people to speak quieter)

- runs away, cries, and/or covers ears with loud or unexpected sounds

- may refuse to go to movie theaters, parades, skating rinks, musical concerts etc.

- may decide whether they like certain people by the sound of their voices

HYPOSENSITIVITY TO SOUNDS (under-registers):

- loves excessively loud music or TV (only for short amounts of time and at specific times)

- seems to have difficulty understanding or remembering what was said

- talks self through a task, often not out loud

SIGNS OF OLFACTORY DYSFUNCTION (smells):

My nose is very selective with what it smells.

1. HYPERSENSITIVITY TO SMELLS (over-responsive):

- reacts negatively to, or dislikes smells which do not usually bother, or get noticed, by other people (tuna, stew, perfume, cigarettes, etc)

- bothered/irritated by smell of perfume or cologne

- bothered by household or cooking smells

- may refuse to play at someones house because of the way it smells (I had a friend whose house smelled of mothballs)

- decides whether he/she likes someone or some place by the way it smells (I once had a HUGE crush on a guy whose cologne smelled amazing!~(*-*)~)

2. HYPOSENSITIVITY TO SMELLS (under-responsive):

- does not notice odors that others usually complain about (onions, certain foods, and apparently my room smells sometimes)

- uses smell to interact with objects (I always smell a food thoroughly before I eat it)

SIGNS OF ORAL INPUT DYSFUNCTION:

1. HYPERSENSITIVITY TO ORAL INPUT (oral defensiveness):

- picky eater, often with extreme food preferences; i.e., limited repertoire of foods, picky about brands, resistive to trying new foods or restaurants, and may not eat at other peoples houses) (I only eat soup and veggie sticks [they're like airy chips in stick form], and ALL OF THE ABOVE IS SO ME)

- resists/refuses/extremely fearful of going to the dentist or having dental work done (I have to medicate myself when I go and need nitrous to stay calm and still during procedures)

- may only eat hot or cold foods (I HATE cold stuff!!! I've been struggling to stay hydrated because the water is so damn cold now that it's winter!!!!)

- refuses to lick envelopes, stamps, or stickers because of their taste

- dislikes or complains about toothpaste and mouthwash (mint BURNS)

- avoids seasoned, spicy, sweet, sour or salty foods; prefers bland foods

2. HYPOSENSITIVITY TO ORAL INPUT (under-registers)

I used to be a chewer, would frequently seek out intensely sweet or spicy foods and I'd add tons of ketchup to eeeverything!

SIGNS OF PROPRIOCEPTIVE DYSFUNCTION:

1. SENSORY SEEKING BEHAVIORS:

- bites or sucks on fingers and/or frequently cracks his/her knuckles

- loves to be tightly wrapped in many or weighted blankets, especially at bedtime

- enjoys bear hugs

As a kid, a lot more of the things listed applied to me.

2. DIFFICULTY WITH GRADING OF MOVEMENT

Never had any of these issues.

SIGNS OF VESTIBULAR DYSFUNCTION:

1. HYPERSENSITIVITY TO MOVEMENT (over-responsive):

- avoids/dislikes elevators and escalators; may prefer sitting while they are on them or, actually get motion sickness from them (I hate how slow they go, and that I can't move anywhere when on them. I tend to get drowsy/dizzy and irritated on them, but since the ride is so short, if doesn't really cause problems)

- afraid of heights, even the height of a curb or step (I don't like abnormal heights, like sitting in a tow truck which is much higher than a normal vehicle)

- afraid of being tipped upside down, sideways or backwards; will strongly resist getting hair washed over the sink (leaning backwards is very upsetting; even rinsing my hair in shower by leaning back feels wrong. Also, on roller coasters, when going slowly up the first hill, when tilted backwards is awful. I can't even lie down on my back or leaning back unless I counter the awfulness with pressure or weight, like blankets or squishing myself into the couch)

- startles if someone else moves them; i.e., pushing his/her chair closer to the table (OMG I HATE THIS!!! It makes me want to scream at the person and cry!!)

- may have disliked being placed on stomach as an infant (this is very true for me now, I can not stand lying on my stomach!)

2. HYPOSENSITIVITY TO MOVEMENT (under-responsive):

- craves fast, spinning, and/or intense movement experiences (both as a kid and now, I LOVE anything that spins, like tire swings, that spinny thing at playgrounds, computer chairs, sit and spins, etc. Spinning is pleasing, soothing, refreshing, and it makes me laugh and happy)

- could spin for hours and never appear to be dizzy (once again, I love spinning!)

- loves the fast, intense, and/or scary rides at amusement parks (the only rides I didn't really like were the drop ride, that lifts you up really high, pauses and then plummets you down and the ferris wheel; roller coasters, even upside down ones, were invigorating/soothing)

- always jumping on furniture, trampolines, spinning in a swivel chair, or getting into upside down positions (this was only true for me as a kid, as I had much more energy back then)

- loves to swing as high as possible and for long periods of time (swings are euphoric for me, I seriously get so much comfort, pleasure, peace and joy from swinging and would do it all the time if I had a swing that wasn't covered in spiders; in high school, I walked to my nieces elementary school every night at sunset to swing for at least an hour. It was heaven)

- always running, jumping, hopping etc. instead of walking (nowadays, I sway, twist, twirl and dance)

***- is a thrill-seeker; dangerous at times (this was only true for me as a kid, but it was VERY true; usually involving jumping off of swings or out of a tree)

Janus the Fox

Huh... Well... Being on the Autistic spectrum, I do have sensory inefficiencies across the board to some extent. I'm not specifically diagnosed SPD as that's often not compatible with a separate Autism diagnosis, because it is an autism diagnostic criteria.

I'm Asexual, Aromantic, Agender, fetishist and a lot of other stuff... Eh... If it's all connected its a bonus, the more I know type of thing.

Visually, I am sensitive to light, floriensent light and I have a background filtering difficienty tested by a neurologist. Otherwise I can and able to see in small detail, but I'm also shortsighted and need glasses with changeable tinted lenses.

Tactile, I don't like being touched and often clothing can be troublesome at times when I start noticing irritation. I have difficulties with discerning cold temperatures and I am at risk of hypothermia especially when I'm able to go outside without need of a coat.

Auditory, I can here quiet sounds, often in large detail. Repetitive sounds can be a problem and I can often mistake differences in spoken word. I can filter out background noise and can be a problem with learning and working without distractions.

Olfactory, smells can be too strong, often this fluctuates as many smells can be too strong to cope with. This often means I can't cook with strong smells without disorientation. Otherwise I can smell in detail. This sense often dulls to the point I can't smell. This goes hand in hand with taste.

Gustatory, Tastes can often be overpowering, uncomfortable and sometimes finds flavours I once liked, be dislikeable. Textures in the mouth can often be a problem, especially with vegetables. With the vegetables example, I find that each bite can taste and feel different. This is a fluctuating sense as I like flavours that was once unliked to be otherwise nice.

Propricepitive, I have a noticeable delay in reaction times, I also have a poor gait and posture. It is also noted by a neurologist I have poor balance, slow walking speed and am at risk of falls, perceiving dangers and objects in periferal vision. I often have trouble with grip and often drop things like pens while writing.

Vestabular, I often hate moving or things being moved, as a child I never liked swings, this is also true with the inability to drive and games that process movement too quickly or smoothly. Same with elevators, I often have a problem with its movement, sudden stops and such.

Well... It has no baring with asexuality, but maybe sexual information processing. Perhaps... In the brain, nurons perhaps not connected in the same way. Perhaps many with an SPD could more likely have a fetish even... Where the connections to sexual pleasure are connected to something non-sexual... There's a lack of study on the matter, otherwise there's many SPD individuals that are sexual.

Meh... I probably detail a lot more... :mellow:

I'm not diagnosed SPD, but criteria is true for Aspergers and the Autistic spectrum I'm diagnosed with.

I don't have any of these, so I can't answer the last one.

Isn't my neurology part of my physiology? :P At least, the brain part?

I think the olfactory bulbs are technically part of the brain, and if I have part of my brain missing from birth... a disorder is basically damage to a part of the brain, right?

Yeah, one would think. :P

I just don't know enough to be able to parse out the details in any meaningful way, so I just said SPD or SPD-like stuff. For this, I'm interested more in the effect that having non-normative sensory integration has rather than what causes it, because these experiences can have a wide range of repercussions in folks, especially if they're pronounced in the developmental years. If that makes any sense?

Huh... Well... Being on the Autistic spectrum, I do have sensory inefficiencies across the board to some extent. I'm not specifically diagnosed SPD as that's often not compatible with a separate Autism diagnosis, because it is an autism diagnostic criteria.

They often overlap, definitely, and I think SPD in conjunction with Autism-spectrum stuff accounts for the lion's share of SPD experiences. Marked SPD on its own, from what I've gathered, is a lot rarer.

Wow I didn't expect to see anything about tactile defensiveness in an asexuality forum! I, personally, have major tactile defensiveness. I can't touch unfinished wood (hands or feet or any part of my body) I also can't touch paper, which brought up a lot of questions in school haha

Wow I didn't expect to see anything about tactile defensiveness in an asexuality forum! I, personally, have major tactile defensiveness. I can't touch unfinished wood (hands or feet or any part of my body) I also can't touch paper, which brought up a lot of questions in school haha

Oh, I have the same issue with wood! Even thinking about it makes me squirm! >_< I don't like paper, but I can touch it. Non-mechanical pencils on paper is awful, though.

In regards to SPD being a separate diagnosis, it's an up and coming thing. I identified as an SPD person before an ASD person, mostly because I had no idea I fit the criteria for autism. There are groups and websites for SPD people. SPD is still placed under the autism spectrum, though, because it's so new that they haven't found anywhere else to put it.

I never learned to ride a bike (no balance), fear heights and hated having to use the gymnasium equipment at school. I dislike 'thrill rides' at fairgrounds and cannot do a handstand.

I call that vestibular disorder.

Captain Darkhorse

I have sensory processing issues. I'm extremely hypersensitive to physical touch, lights/movement, and certain sounds. However, none of these are connected to a sensory processing disorder.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted asexual and on the aromantic spectrum to all questions, and I was diagnosed by two separate occupational therapists when I was 14. At the time of the testing, I had symptoms of diabetes and gallstones, but it was three and five years until I was diagnosed with them, respectively, and I also had not yet been diagnosed with an arachnoid cyst (which may or may not have anything to do with anything). I have been diagnosed autistic.

The therapy to which I was subjected, btw, did not help, and going on insulin did dramatically improve the photophobia. Going on testosterone dramatically improved the sensitivities accross the board, as it made me much much calmer.

However, I still retain many of the differences noted in my original testing, including:

-very poor awareness of where my body is in space

-a complete lack of depth perception

-over reaction to flickering lights and other overwhelming stimuli, to the extent of shutting down and ignoring ALL stimuli

-an inability to pay attention to the periphery of my vision

-difficulty associating colors

-processing lag in all senses

-clumsiness

-sensitivity to some sounds (although since then I've lost some of my hearing, which has made me more tolerant)

-tone deafness

- inability to differentiate between smells, poor sense of smell, and lack of tolerance of unfamiliar tastes (not noted in the report, I also hallucinate smells frequently)

- the sensitivity to touch is much much less but I still don't tolerate it very well and hate being touched and can't stand lots of textures

- I'm a picky picky eater

- My gait is abnormal, I'm under responsive to differences in weights of objects, and they thought my balance was poor (actually, my balance is very impressively good in some situations but not others)

- I can't read facial expressions in pictures at all

- I can't write cursive

- I am slow and attentive to fine motor tasks

- I have trouble transitioning from one task to another

- I feel calmer when weighted down

- When I'm under stress, I have difficulty gauging the amount of force necessary to lift objects, and I have trouble regulating the speed that I walk at

• 4 weeks later...

All of the above. Some worse than others. I'm on disability.

• 3 weeks later...

I am both Very sensitive to sound. (sounds that other people seem to not hear, drive me absolutely NUTS!)

and lack sensitivity. (I can't hear and understand people when they talk. I have to watch TV with the captions on, or else I miss everything.)

I'm very senstive to touch. I can't stand it!! - I hate getting my hands wet, unless I'm specifically washing my hands. and so on.

I fit some of the visual stuff, but I think it is related to some things other than SPD. My eyes are very sensitive to light, but I have blue eyes... I think that is somewhat common. and I have a family of cysts living in one eye, which causes other issues.

I have at least a few of most of those. But the questions are more for children, and I think I was different as a child than I am now.

So,.. I'm "unsure" (about the D part of the SP.)

I match up with a lot of the tactile things, and I almost got that checked out but I didn't. I'm so extremely touch adverted people notice and tell me to get over it but I can't. :P I seemed to have heightened senses in smell, taste, and sound, but I think taste is the only other one with enough symptoms to be at least slightly concerned.

For as long as I can remember, I've had a tactile sensory issue. Mostly with shirts that have collars like golf shirts or button-down dress shirts. I simply cannot wear them without the muscles in my neck stiffening up enough to cause muscle aches lasting until the next day. Putting on anything long-sleeve is less of an issue, but still an annoyance for me. Weird thing though, coats with big collars don't seem to effect me at all.

kaleidoscope_eyes

I'm dyslexic (officially diagnosed), so I have trouble understanding things I hear and often mishear what people say, which leads to general confusion. I see and write letters that don't exist. It has visual and auditory components, but it's really the language center... Does that count?

Interesting question. I am asexual and dyspraxic. I have often wondered to what extent dyspraxia contributes to sexual dysfunction in women.

I am hyper-sensitive to light and sound. But cannot distinguish speech from background noise. Under sensitive to touch and pain. Cannot multi-task and process information so slowly that I cannot drive a car. Have an impaired sense of where my body is in space and problems with coordination. Virtually no sense of smell - but that may be sinuses and rhinitis.

Just one point about your survey - not everyone will understand your technical language.

Good luck with your research.

My sense of smell is weaker than average, but i don't consider it to be so weak to be a disorder of the sense.

I identify as demisexual and I am convinced that I have a hypersensitivity issue.

I have Visual, Auditory, and Tactile hypersensitivity. Its possible that I have Proprioceptive SPD as well.

I'm dyslexic (officially diagnosed), so I have trouble understanding things I hear and often mishear what people say, which leads to general confusion. I see and write letters that don't exist. It has visual and auditory components, but it's really the language center... Does that count?

I don't think it would... in all my research concerning SPD, other more common things (like your dyslexia, or things like normal hearing loss, chronic allergies, etc) were never really brought up as a comparison, so I feel I should hold to that distinction. I think the important thing in distinguishing these things is to maybe keep in mind about how the disordered processing happens, and where in the body/brain is happens. Dyslexia might have a completely different cause than other auditory SPDs, as far as I know.

Interesting question. I am asexual and dyspraxic. I have often wondered to what extent dyspraxia contributes to sexual dysfunction in women.

I am hyper-sensitive to light and sound. But cannot distinguish speech from background noise. Under sensitive to touch and pain. Cannot multi-task and process information so slowly that I cannot drive a car. Have an impaired sense of where my body is in space and problems with coordination. Virtually no sense of smell - but that may be sinuses and rhinitis.

Just one point about your survey - not everyone will understand your technical language.

Good luck with your research.

Thank you! I tried to be technical while still retaining some accessibility just because there is a difference, most definitely, between SPD and abnormal sensitivity or desensitivity, especially if there are other obvious physical reasons, like a previous poster mentioning rhinitis (which I have). I'm not a professional researcher by any means, but I am hoping to write an informative blog post based on what I find.

• 6 months later...

not a direct auditory SPD, but I do struggle with verbal instructions at times. Asexual. believe the cause is chromosomal

I haven't been diagnosed with anything but I have trouble hearing and processing speech sometimes. So I went to the Dr and was referred for a hearing test (the one with the beeps at different frequencies getting quieter) which all came back as perfect. The lady said it might be a problem in the brain rather than the ear, but it never went any further than that.

I can be sensitive to loud noises sometimes, usually i can block it out, which comes in handy for concerts, but sometimes it gets too much and i feel like i need to leave the area where the noise is. For instance when i was at college it would sometimes get very loud in class and i would have to leave the room. Also when there's a sudden noise sometimes that startles me.

I can find lots of loud noises from lots of different sources overwhelming. I think sudden noise startles most people.... doesn't it? Or is it just us?

• 3 weeks later...

I DON'T KNOW but I'm on the autism spectrum and have issues with really excessive/powerful sensory things, predominantly sound, smell, and a little bit of touch?? Does that count as a sensory processing disorder? I've never heard the term. :'D

• 3 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived