Relationship to Media

Aisntllecxtual

Relationship to Media  

1. 1. How should the AVEN community relate to the media?

• Review by AVEN management in approval gatekeeping, opening participation up to the community thereafter through eliciting posting by media entity (sign up with little/no lattitude for challenging expressive enterprise).
    • The former with additional encouragement or liberal allowance for AVEN members to vigorously challenge, voice skepticism/reservation(s), etc. to journalistic/media enterprise conception.
    • Direct democracy: Have the entire AVEN community (all members) vote, act as approval gatekeeper, on whether a journalistic/media enterprise can post to elicit member participation.
    • No gatekeeping function at all: Allow jounalists/media to solicit participation/engagement of members without any approving/discerning control.
    • Don't reach out to the media at all: Don't trust them.
    • Other conception that does not really fit into the alternatives above.

This poll is closed to new votes

Aisntllecxtual

Because a central interest of AVEN is reaching out to the media to increase visibility of the asexual community, of asexuality as an orientation, I thought it would be appropriate to elicit from the AVEN community at-large how they think outreach should be managed/conducted/achieved, that is, indeed, if it is valued at all. After you vote, I look forward to the views/comments you might have.

P.S. Modified post one hour after submitting it: added alternative four, "No gatekeeping..."

Further clarification: I have been made aware from a previous posting made in regard to this poll that there are different AVEN regulations in relation to the media and research/survey projects (managed by the Project Team). As I am a bit unsure where and how the division applies in regard to the aforementioned, let me state with what I hope is unequivocal clarity, in regard to this poll, I am addressing outside enterprises/projects/surveys that seek involvment of AVEN members (which may also include significant/relevant others not belonging to AVEN) in regard to telling stories for publication/reports/airing, inclusion in a study, etc. It has to do with such entities/personages access in posting their solicitations on an AVEN forum (it seems to me the customary forum for such postings seem to be in AVEN "Announcements") in outreach to AVEN members to elicit participation.

Other: AVEN is not supposed to judge what can be published and what can't. The Project Team members are already involved with asexual visibility on a large scale, and they do an excellent job. I don't see a need to change anything.

Aisntllecxtual

Who does judge/decide - act as gatekeeper - in allowing media representations/solicitations on the forum. Project Team members? If so, they would be considered part of "management." If not them, who? I am sure the media can't just post on AVEN without any gatekeeping/oversight whatsoever. If you could be so kind to educate me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Other: AVEN is not supposed to judge what can be published and what can't. The Project Team members are already involved with asexual visibility on a large scale, and they do an excellent job. I don't see a need to change anything.

I would say that any person wishing to interview AVEN members would have to get their express consent. As for gatekeeping, I'm not sure that would be appropriate as some people are happy to be interviewed and others never would be. Research projects (surveys, etc.) must go through PT, media is different. PT has guidelines that researchers must meet. Ultimately, whether the media or researchers ask for participants...the members do decide whether or not they wish to be involved.

If you read through the media requests, you will see a comment by one of the members of the Project Team.

To put it up to a vote by the membership can only happen if we know what the request is in the first place. The ketchup would already be out of the bottle.

If you want to bypass any sort of "gatekeeping" then no one can stop you from directly contacting the media yourself. The media may decide that your particular story is not something they want to cover at this point, but will keep you in mind for future features. You could certainly argue with them, but they would have the final say.

Lucinda

I voted 'Don't reach out to the media at all, don't trust them'. Because, as people in the public eye know only too well, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you grant an interview, they distort your words. If you refuse an interview, they make it up anyway.

• 9 months later...

I don't see why we need "Gatekeepers". It is for individuals to decide whether a question deserves an answer. If an organisation wish to contact people through this site then that is a different matter, as moderators/ site owners need to protect themselves from misrepresentations by outsiders

If the person in question is going to be representing AVEN or it involves something official relating to the community as a whole or on the community's behalf, then there should be some 'gatekeeping' involved. Otherwise, it would be creepy and dictatorish that members of this site are barred from interacting with media entities.

• 3 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived