Asexuality at the WorldPride Human Rights Conference, 25-27 June 2014

michaeld

First thing to make pre-emptively clear: this is not the WorldPride Asexual conference. The latter will be a one day event on 28 June run by volunteers in the asexual community, for asexuals, gray-As, demisexuals and interested members of the public and press. That will be the main event of WorldPride 2014 from the point of view of the asexual community and movement. Details to be announced shortly.

However...

As mentioned in an earlier thread, a team of three of us (CJ Chasin, Sara Beth Brooks and myself) submitted proposals to The WorldPride Human Rights Conference 2014. From the event's website:

Taking place June 25—27, 2014 in the heart of downtown Toronto, Canada, The WorldPride Human Rights Conference 2014 (WPHRC14) is an exciting gathering of activists, artists, educators, journalists, policymakers, students, and others engaged in LGBTTIQQ2SA* human rights around the world. The conference provides a unique opportunity for a global dialogue about LGBTTIQQ2SA* human rights, ranging from performances to presentations, politics to policies, and activists to academics. The WPHRC14 is organized by The WPHRC14 is organized by WorldPride and the Bonham Centre for Sexual Diversity Studies.

http://thereadingsalon.ca/wphrc14/

Well we got accepted! Our presentation will be entitled "From bananas to zucchinis: How talking about asexuality can contribute to queer and trans* positive, comprehensive, sexual education". Apparently the competition was very fierce - there were around 400 applications to present from over 50 countries, so we're pretty happy. :)

Apart from our presentation, I guess we will be attending and supporting other events at the conference and doing our best to make contacts.

For anyone else who wants to attend the WPHRC, I think the formal applications haven't yet opened. Eventually you will be able to apply here.

I'm not sure how much the admission fee will be, but I'm guessing it will be somewhere in the $100-200 range (where $ = Canadian dollar - not that this is too different to USD). More aces attending would be great of course, but if the money or the timing doesn't work out, don't worry as the Saturday conference will be free or minimally priced, and again this will be our main one. :)

• Like 8
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure if the conference will fall into our vacation budget, but the good news on the acceptance is pretty awesome anyway!!! :cake::cake:

• 4 weeks later...

It might be neat to re-give the presentation during our ace conference? Student budget makes my sincere wish to see this amazing presentation of yours a bit of a dream... :(

if this were a free event I might've contemplated going.

We probably won't re-give it at the asexual con for two reasons: a) we will want to pack as many other people as possible into presenting during the latter and we're bound to be short of time, b) our HRC presentation will be more "outward focussed" - towards people who are involved in the LGBT scene but don't necessarily know much about asexuality. If it's possible, though, I'll get someone to record our presentation at the HRC and put it on Youtube.

• Like 1

I'd definitely be a youtube patron of yours, if such an opportunity arises ;)

Do we already know which day will the asexual presentation take place? I assume it will be only once, right?

I'll think about coming, especially if other people tag along (considering you three awesome peeps will be sort-of-busy with being famous and talking and all :p )

Do we already know which day will the asexual presentation take place? I assume it will be only once, right?

I'll think about coming, especially if other people tag along (considering you three awesome peeps will be sort-of-busy with being famous and talking and all :P )

I would tag along with you, if we feel like grouping up. But I can't commit until much later, I don't know where my finances are at yet... :)

I'll think about coming, especially if other people tag along (considering you three awesome peeps will be sort-of-busy with being famous and talking and all :P )

I would tag along with you, if we feel like grouping up. But I can't commit until much later, I don't know where my finances are at yet... :)

That'd be great! I still don't know if I'll go. I am only staying in Canada for 7 days, including WP and the conference, so that only leaves me 5 days to be a tourist, and I don't know if I want to give another day to conferences! It's tempting, but I am not sure.

That'd be great! I still don't know if I'll go. I am only staying in Canada for 7 days, including WP and the conference, so that only leaves me 5 days to be a tourist, and I don't know if I want to give another day to conferences! It's tempting, but I am not sure.

Well, let's be uncertain together then :) We can figure it out much closer to the day :P

• Like 1

As mentioned in an earlier thread, a team of three of us (CJ Chasin, Sara Beth Brooks and myself) submitted proposals to The WorldPride Human Rights Conference 2014...

Well we got accepted! Our presentation will be entitled "From bananas to zucchinis: How talking about asexuality can contribute to queer and trans* positive, comprehensive, sexual education". Apparently the competition was very fierce - there were around 400 applications to present from over 50 countries, so we're pretty happy. :)

You guys are friggin' awesome. :)

:cake:

• Like 2

Yes, please post it on YouTube! If I am interpreting the description correctly, it sounds like it will be a great resource for the educators and the GSAs and we can spread it around. Keep us posted on the actual timing too; if I can figure out how to stomach all the crowds I might stray in the Toronto direction around that time… see what's up… :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Just chiming in that YouTube would be great! Also, if you happen to *know* which day you're presenting and I'm in Toronto for it, I might try to make that day of the conference (if I can do that) but I don't think I'll be arriving early enough to make all 3 days.

• 2 months later...

The Program states that this presentation will be Wed, June 25, Block B: 10:45 am to 12:15 pm.

To be honest, their website is a little confusing... Is $275 the price just to get into the conference? When I looked into it, it thought I was from outside of North America; is there a cheaper price for North American residents?

Also, as the date approaches, will we have any verification that this presentation will be video recorded for YouTube? I'm really only interested in seeing this presentation, but if I can save some money and view it online later, I would love to find out while I'm still planning my vacation! ;) Thanks!!! :cake:

Unfortunately $275 is indeed the price just to get to the conference. I've heard talk of a discount for students / those on a low wage (whatever that means, precisely) who would only have to pay $50 to get in. But I don't know if it's too late for that.

It's highly likely we will film the thing. I'll let you know when this is confirmed.

• Like 1

Unfortunately $275 is indeed the price just to get to the conference. I've heard talk of a discount for students / those on a low wage (whatever that means, precisely) who would only have to pay $50 to get in. But I don't know if it's too late for that.

It's highly likely we will film the thing. I'll let you know when this is confirmed.

Thanks so much! That would be awesome! ;)

• 9 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator