Working Class, Middle Class or Upper Class?

wowmom

1. 1. What are you?

• Under 18 and financially dependent on a parent/guardian
    • Over 18 and largely financially dependent on a parent/guardian
    • Over 18, working class
    • Over 18, middle class
    • Over 18 upper class
    • Some other radically different financial situation (if you check this one, please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

Most everything poor people have is something that they owe money on. And if they have given up on upward mobility entirely, they tend to go hog wild, buying big flat screen TVs, iphones, nice cars they will never pay off. People who live outside their means and have credit so poor that upward mobility is impossible, or nearly impossible.

Middle class is similar to this, but the people buy less flashy/expensive things, and (at least intend) to pay their bills back. In this way they have a little more upward mobility than the poor.

What do you think?

I think specious generalizations are absurd. It also smacks of classism.

I answered other as I largely exist outside traditional society and traditional economies. I try to live as much as possible outside the corrupt system of money. What money I do get/use is cash under the table on odd jobs and reclaimed money people have lost or thrown down.

I spent plenty of time as a traveller kid though I was never a crust punk. I've never liked or embraced class or traditional economy. Why sort people by income? Why pay others more than the value of their work when I can DIY and get it for free or nearly free? Why work more now for less than historical averages?

It's all nonsense.

Captain Darkhorse

I'm over 18 and do not live with my parents. My parents are upper class with upper class values and upper class attitudes.I am not.

I don't break the poverty threshold and live under the poverty line. I could be on government benefits (except VA), but I've chosen not to. It's not a pride issue - I think someone else needs those things more than I do. Everything I own is second-hand. The clothes. The supplies. The furniture. I've learned to fix almost everything because I can't afford to have it fixed. The only thing I have that's not secondhand is the food.

Is it difficult? Not really, because I've grown used to it. I couldn't imagine living any other way. At this point, I'd like to make the money of a middle class citizen. However, I'd still live the way I do now.

more lower than middle class. i have a professional qualification, work full time in it but don't earn the salary that should come with it. i need a better job, one that pays a professional salary rather than the graduate salary i am earning. though i don't have a high cost lifestyle. just give me a book and i am happy. it is just difficult when you already have a job.

one day i can respond like uncle Leo in 'love in the time of cholera' "i am not a rich man, i am a poor man with money"

Over 18 and working class.

I remember watching an interview with some of the delightful youth we have scattered around our fair isles. An 18 year old mother of two who had dropped out of school and was showing her glee at being able to do "nuffin" and claim benefits, proclaimed, when asked, that she was middle class. When asked by the interviewer why she thought she was middle class she replied very simply, sternly, matter of factly and with a serious look on her face:

"Cause I dun't work do I!" :mellow:

I adore that quote

one day i can respond like uncle Leo in 'love in the time of cholera' "i am not a rich man, i am a poor man with money"

I doubt class / wealth can influence one's sexual orientation beyond making a difference between incarcerated criminal and "known to be somewhat eccentric".

What I see is them having an impact on romantic practice. - i.e.: long distance relationships for example are a financial challenge for some and maybe avoided for convenience? - But I guess thats a issue of the settled working class and lower middle class. - Being location wise flexible can even count as a red flag for poverty since it means no good job stuffed home to loose.

3 people are upper class, which either means three people are royalty, or three people really don't know what upper class means and think it just means rich.

Not necessarily

Upper class is more a lifestyle than how much money a person makes.

I have upper class relatives that live in an upper class neighborhood and go to socialite events. I've even been to some pretty famous places that usually won't accept people who aren't part of the "club" because I've been a guest.

I also have relatives that have money that live middle class lifestyles. They live in a nice suburban neighborhood and they have a golden retriever. My cousins go to good schools and are getting a really good education but they aren't being raised as "upper class". The last thing they'd call themselves are upper class

Very true, I think. I think of class as more of an attitude (one's own attitude toward oneself) than an economic class. I as an individual have always been working-class financially but also in attitude. I'm comfortable with that self-definition, as well as comfortable with others considering me working-class.

It's ironic that at a time when the wealth in America is so concentrated in a relatively small grou who don't seem a bit concerned about showing their greed and insane scale of living, and think their wealth simly shows that they have "worked hard", they still don't want to be considered to be rich. Billionaires deny that they are rich.

3 people are upper class, which either means three people are royalty, or three people really don't know what upper class means and think it just means rich.

Not necessarily

Upper class is more a lifestyle than how much money a person makes.

I have upper class relatives that live in an upper class neighborhood and go to socialite events. I've even been to some pretty famous places that usually won't accept people who aren't part of the "club" because I've been a guest.

I also have relatives that have money that live middle class lifestyles. They live in a nice suburban neighborhood and they have a golden retriever. My cousins go to good schools and are getting a really good education but they aren't being raised as "upper class". The last thing they'd call themselves are upper class

Very true, I think. I think of class as more of an attitude (one's own attitude toward oneself) than an economic class. I as an individual have always been working-class financially but also in attitude. I'm comfortable with that self-definition, as well as comfortable with others considering me working-class.

It's ironic that at a time when the wealth in America is so concentrated in a relatively small grou who don't seem a bit concerned about showing their greed and insane scale of living, and think their wealth simly shows that they have "worked hard", they still don't want to be considered to be rich. Billionaires deny that they are rich.

What tickles me are the people who see themselves as "temporarily embarrassed millionaires." It'd be all amusement and less frustration if it wasn't for the fact that they vote based on this belief.

I just turned 17, so, yeah

This is from "Posters For Good" and it seems relevant (it's looking at how class/privilege affects us on a big scale). I think of myself as working class since I live paycheck to paycheck. This however, tells me I am far from lower income.

If you have food in your fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep you are richer than 75% of the world.

If you have money in the bank, your wallet, and some spare change you are among the top 8% of the worlds wealthy.

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness you are more blessed than the million people who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the agony of imprisonment or torture, or the horrible pangs of starvation you are luckier than 500 million people alive and suffering.

If you can read this message you are more fortunate than 3 billion people in the world who cannot read it at all.

Yeah I agree 100% Here I'm classified as "poor" and have always been that. But I think I'm pretty lucky that I live where I do and that I have lots of oppurtinities and rights most don't have. But again I have never cared so much about money and so on, I usually do what I like doing, irrelevant of social "groups" and classes. I manage to survive and "more" than that, I don't think I'm really poor when I put things into perspective.

Also I would like to add that most people are not able to get education, have internet, are oppressed politically and lack basic human rights.

I think this question is relatively simple to answer if you're from the UK, however a bit inaccurate as updated class systems exist which reflect society and modern occupations better. I mean, the 3 classes are based from when their used to just be the super rich, the rich, and the 90% majority were manual workers automatically grouped as working class.

On this scale, I'd probably fit nicely into working class. I'm over 18 and financially dependant on my parents because I'm still in full time education.

However, on the new class system I'm leaning more towards middle class which is pretty interesting, as you take your parents occupation if you're not yet earning.

This is the new class system in the UK: (NS-SEC)

1 Higher managerial, administrative and professional occupations

1.1 Large employers and higher managerial and administrative occupations

1.2 Higher professional occupations

2 Lower managerial, administrative and professional occupations

3 Intermediate occupations

4 Small employers and own account workers

5 Lower supervisory and technical occupations

6 Semi-routine occupations

7 Routine occupations

8 Never worked and long-term unemployed

And automatically I've jumped straight from working class into group 2

How can you different between classes of people?

I don't think there's an obvious way of distinguishing that now, but an indicator for me is how 'proper' a person speaks.

What about rich, people? What makes them different from middle class people?

Idk, in sociology the "rich" are meant to represent the super rich elite. celebrities, royalty, million pound corporation owners. I find it hard to believe there's 4 'upper class' people on here??!
What can people expect out of life due to their class?

I think in contemporary society class is beginning to matter less. I think the lower classes should strive to move up the ladder regardless of their background.
Do different nations have different ideas about class?

I think so, I have friends from Norway who claim class isn't an issue whatsoever, and is rarely spoken about. People are NEVER judged on their class. I think in the UK it's quite a big thing. People are judged and affected by their class quite a bit, and historically the gap between classes in the UK have been huge and still are. Even though it may be hidden judgement like in education systems, middle class children are seen to have 'more potential' in schools for example, and therefore are of more importance.
Do you think asexuality has any impact on which class you end up living most of your life in?

Not at all, I was born into this class but I intend to change it as I'm the first generation in my family to be at university degree level, which is pretty cool. I think if anything it's better to be asexual because I don't have that distraction and I can focus on my education/career more.

I'm actually below working class. I'm poor, but not working. I'm legally disabled.

The British class system is the reason I hate the expression 'United Kingdom' and will never use it (apart from occasions like now when I need to make a point!) because thanks to said system it is not united, but a divided land.

And since 'Kingdom' implies monarchy, how can it be united anyway when the Royal Family are the very epitome of overprivileged class distinction?

United Kingdom, now there's an oxymoron!

It refers to that two Kingdoms (England and Scotland, and later Ireland) united as one kingdom (as opposed to two kingdoms in a union), so yeah it is a united Kingdom :P

It refers to that two Kingdoms (England and Scotland, and later Ireland) united as one kingdom (as opposed to two kingdoms in a union), so yeah it is a united Kingdom :P

And Wales ? :P

And Wales ? :P

No, England had annexed Wales long before. So the Kingdom of England included both England and Wales.

I'm over 18 and financially dependent... Although I probably could have answered other now that I think about it.

I'm 21, live at home, and my annual salary is about 11k. My health insurance is under my mom. However, I could get the same coverage with the same provider through my employer. (We work for the same organization.) I just currently waive that option because it saves me a bit of money in the long run by opting out, as I can be under my mom's until I'm 26. My mom is a healthcare administrator and our company has a deal with Verizon. Her work phone is under them, so we actually get a great unlimited family plan. Even my grandmother's cell phone is on the plan. I also don't drive... So I'm in no need in that department. I pay for my own food. The only things I'm dependent on my mom for are a ride to work (we work at the same place and live together, so it makes sense anyway) and emergency service fees.

My insurance will pretty much cover anything. I do rely on my mom for medical bills, but that's really only from overnight stays and not a lot of money, just more than I can give. I pay my co-pays via FSA card through my employer.

Living with my mom, I live a lifestyle that is... less than the 1% but more than the 5%... So I'm very fortunate. Although that sounds like we have a lot of money, it's just comfortable middle class. Me? I wouldn't be able to afford even the smallest apartment.

It's kind of hard to say where I personally fall because I don't have many expenses. I buy food and the rest goes to savings, except for outings and the occasional train ticket. I haven't asked my mom for money since grade school and I loan her more money for various things than she ends up spending on my medical bills.

I don't know if I'd be considered dependent or independent, but my class based on income alone is vastly different from the way I live. So really, I just don't know how to answer this question.

Quite a lot over 18 (more than twice that number...), and whatever "dependent on long-term state welfare" falls under. Seeing as I don't work, "working class" doesn't seem right, but there's no person (parent/guardian) I'm dependent on, either.

It depends on how you define social classes. I marked "middle class", because my girlfriend and me consider our lifestyle to fit into this category. My profession (gymnastics teacher), however, is not considered very high on the social ladder, only requiring two years vocational training, and not well paid. Low middle class or even working class. On the other hand, I have also studied quite a bit at university, so in education I am ranking higher. And I come from an upper class family (fathers profession was surgeon), we own a big, old mansion and do not really have to work - upper class. Now choose ;)

Surgeons are cool, they save lives. People like your father deserve everything they earn and more.

What is not acceptable are those who have never had to work such as aristocrats and Royals who are in their position merely due to an accident of birth.

• 4 months later...

I am 19 a student, unemployed but not dependent on parent or guardian. I am basically living off of OSAP while i'm in school. *sigh* this means I either have a lot of money or none, and basically no in between.... Student life. However on the plus side tuition includes health insurance, also Canada we have a decent health insurance for those who don't have any at all, so even if I didn't have the student plan I could be ok.

Since the multibillionaire Republican candidate for American President in 2012 referred to himself as "middle class" financially, I guess that means there are no rich people in America. <_<

It's only relatively recently that anyone who wasn't male, white, and Protestant had any social or political power in America, and were thus able to send their kids to private private schools and thus directly into the power structure ladder. There's definitely still a class structure. There always will be, because any human society has a class structure.

(As far as that goes, our class structure comes directly from Europe -- England, specifically, because most of the original Southern planters and Northeastern whalers and industrial families came from England, and they became the American aristocratic families that still exist today.)

My family considered itself small-town middle class, but from the time my parents were divorced when I was 11, I've been working class -- dad didn't pay child support to mom. I didn't go to university but supported myself doing office work since I was 17, and have been low-income all my adult life, especially since my own divorce and raising two kids alone. I'm not at all upset about being working class. I'm really depressed that in America now, instead of having a solid working class, we instead have so many poor people.

In the expression 'working class' the operative word is 'working' because only the so called working class actually work.

South Africa was once banned from Olympic participation due to her apartheid system and Britain should likewise be banned due to her class system.

Yes, because her caste system is actually even worse. At least the very poor in Britain aren't scornfully regarded as 'Untouchables' merely because of their circumstances.

Not yet anyway.

FFXIVMithra

I grew up in the lower class in the ghetto of Seattle, until my mother married into money. I moved out when I was 18, and have spend the past 10 years in the middle class. I don't take any help from them because it's easy enough to do on my own. I moved up quite quickly in the company that I work for and make a very healthy living on my own.

Everyone is basically working class...the gap between incomes in America is ridiculous. You have an extremely wealthy few and the notion of middle class is all but a joke. Most people who say they are middle class are actually still quite poor when you look at the figures. The evaporation of the middle class is really spooky.

Archived