Girl question!

sanremi52890

1. 1. For those of you who have gotten a pap smear, how much did it hurt? And have you ever had sex involving vaginal penetration?

• it hurt a lot / yes
    • it hurt a little / yes
    • it didnt hurt at all / yes
    • it hurt a lot / no
    • it hurt a little / no
    • it didnt hurt at all / no
    • other
    • i've never had a pap smear
  2. 2. how much did the pap smear hurt, and have you ever given birth?

• it hurt a lot / yes
    • it hurt a little / yes
    • it didnt hurt at all / yes
    • it hurt a lot / no
    • it hurt a little / no
    • it didn't hurt at all / no
    • other
    • i've never given birth/ gotten a pap smear

This poll is closed to new votes

My friend and I were talking about how for both of us, pap smears have always hurt SO bad even though the doctor always says it's not going to hurt. At my last one, I was wimpering in pain and almost screaming (neither of us have ever had vaginal penetration or given birth). So I'm wondering whether that's the norm, and also how these two factors might affect it.

How much did the pap smear hurt.

I mean your poll questions... They don't make sense to me.

But I've never had a pap smear hurt. It's always been done before I realized anything had happened.

It was painful for me, but not the most painful thing in the world. I found it less painful than some penetrative sex. It was a very brief twinge of pain.

If you've never had penetrative sex and you've had a pap smear before, I don't think it's necessary for you to get one very often (unless you are on hormonal birth control, which increases the chances of cervical cancer). Every five years or so would be sufficient, although doctors prefer yearly (that being said, do whatever you think is right for your health).

What made my pap smear experience a terrible one was my doctor verbally abusing me during the procedure (which has... actually made me never want to get a pap test ever, ever again, regardless of the doctor, and I never see that doctor anymore). I was completely fine with it until that happened. Now thinking about getting tested again really scares me.

It was painful, but I was able to bear it, contrary to vaginal penetration (which was a totally unbearable pain, as if I was stabbed inside).

I have severe vaginismus and vulvar vestibulitis, so yes my vaginal exams hurt a lot to say the least. (Made me cry and almost scream.) I've only had one successful pap smear with four total attempts at examinations. (Not all of the exams have been pap smears, but all caused enough pain that the doctors immediately stopped.)

WhenSummersGone

It's hurts a little, but the physical side isn't a problem for me. I just don't like the idea of it all really and it makes me uncomfortable. To be laying down and having someone look at you down there is really repulsive to me. At least with sex it is more based on pleasure rather than someone examining you. Like getting probed by aliens. I just hate being naked around doctors.

In my experience, the speculum hurt a bit, but the pap smear itself didn't hurt at all. It was just a quick tickly feeling. For some reason I have no problem with doctors examining me there (even though the idea of sex freaks me out), so I think that helped me relax so it hurt less. You can ask for a smaller speculum, and a kind doctor probably helps a lot too!

They hurt quite a bit when I still hadn't had anything shoved up there (I couldn't even use tampons most of my life from the pain).

I worked on things and stretched myself out and became sexually active and now it only hurts a little if I'm not fully relaxed or prepared. I don't like the hard plastic of speculums.

I'm not a girl, but they hurt a lot. I've never given vaginal birth (or birth in general). When I had my first pap smear I hadn't consented to actual sex (I picked "other" for the first one; I don't consider rape sex). Loads of pain for me.

My doctor is very kind, luckily (if a bit awkward). Thanks for the suggestion about using a smaller thingy, I should ask her about that. And also I'm not really sure why I'm getting them every year, except I guess since I was sexually active with a girl it might still be recommended? I don't know. I guess I could have asked the doctor these questions but I just wanted to get out of there lol.

I try really hard to relax, but I don't think relaxing would help, its the pain of something sticking me like a needle....

I can't imagine having a gynocologist that isn't kind :(. Being examined down there is bad enough.

by hurt do you mean the actual taking of the tissue or the insertion of the speculum?

the hurtful bit should be the second but is not related to the pap-test itself, anyway every year seems a bit too often....... I'm 35 and get it every 3 years, you should ask why, maybe you don't need to do it often if you're not sexually active and there aren't other issues

Not sure which part... seems like it just hurts pretty much the whole time... it's a sharp pain like I said, doesn't have to do with just having something up there.. I don't think. Hard to tell really.

Never had one and don't intend to. I have even been taken off the register of women eligible for the test due to my asexuality.

Never had one and don't intend to. I have even been taken off the register of women eligible for the test due to my asexuality.

Cool..! How did that work out?

For me, the pap smear only hurt a little bit and I've never had sexual intercourse. I'm not the type of person bothered by pain though. It's more uncomfortable for me because I don't like anyone touching me. :blush:

Nothings_Changed

I'm not a girl but as the current owner of a vagina and uterus, yes i have gotten a pap.

the speculum is uncomfortable, but bearable. the collection of cells was undetectable, no pain at all. the whole experience is just very uncomfortable. even though my GYN is trans friendly, until they make a office just for guys with female parts, I doubt I will ever be comfortable there.

YMMV.

Cool..! How did that work out?

I had to see my doctor for a completely unrelated issue and it cropped up as I was due to have one. I told her the truth and she wrote to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only had one pap, which I was putting off because I was worried it would hurt. I have a...well I won't TMI, but I've been offered vulval surgery for it. In addition to that, I have vaginismus. To deal with THAT, I found this thing called vaginal dilators--little tubes of increasing size to get used to the feeling of insertion veeeeeeeeery slowly. With that practice, a pediatric scapula, and asking the OBGYN if I could insert it myself...it didn't hurt one bit. The only thing I felt at all was the little scraper on the cervix, but it was such a neutral feeling. My suggestion would be to go to a Planned Parenthood for this sort of thing because the doctors appear to be far more patient and open-minded than even my extremely kind family doctor and normal OBGYN. You aren't doomed to pain from the test just because of asexuality, guys, I assure you.

I've only had three PAPs for excessive menstrual bleeding or absence of menstrual bleeding. when I was 18 and 19 and had never had sex, and the last one when I was 34, after marriage. I find them somewhat painful, and equally painful before and after I lost my virginity. I will not have another PAP unless I feel I need one - like if I see or feel something suspicious.

• 1 year later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived