What stage of your life do/did you enjoy the most?

Zerο

What stage of your life do/did you enjoy the most?  

1. 1. What stage of your life do/did you enjoy the most?

• Elementary School
    • Middle School
    • High School
    • College (20's)
    • Midlife (30-40's)
    • Golden Years (50+)

This poll is closed to new votes

One of my favorite sitcoms is That 70's Show, and I was watching it today it got me thinking about high school. To me, high school was kinda plain but it was a nice mix of responsibility and ignorance. There was still a lot of freedom for me then. If I had to pick though, I'd say college life and the years that followed it have been the most enjoyable. I wish I had done more during college, but I'm still reaping the rewards of the experience so I'm content for the most part. The responsibility of being on my own and having a role in society can be troublesome, but I don't think I can go back to those truly ignorant and carefree days. What I do enjoy is the freedom and independence I have now.

Golden Years for me refers to a set of 4 years when I was an undergraduate. So yes, my definition might differ to yours. My vote could count as college too but I loved those years so much that I refer to them as Golden Years. I'm eternally mourning that it had to end though... :(

Golden years typically refers retirement, I just figured it sounded better than some other labels.

So far it is elementary school, I played every day and didnt have any issues at all, or well, okey, in the end I recieved some, but at that age life was sooooft :D

Will have to see if my life enters a period like that again.

Golden years typically refers retirement, I just figured it sounded better than some other labels.

Oh, it is our differing views. :/ Too bad I can't re-do my vote. Oh well, it counts as college too, it's double-duty.

Elementary. Though here in Ontario, middle school is elementary. That is, high school=secondary school.

Kitty Spoon Train

It almost always feels like "the good old days" were better than whatever I'm doing at this very moment. But then I remember that back then in those "good old days", I was always either looking back at "the good old days" before that, or else anticipating something in the future.....

So right now, I don't even like thinking of such things. There's really no such thing as past or future anyway. All we really have is the present moment.

I started enjoying life when I got to college, especially when I had my first job. There were new things to look forward to. I didn't exactly have the best childhood so college life is definitely a zillion times better.

SorryNotSorry

So far, I haven't enjoyed any of it.

peanut-butter-cloud

Elementary school. Although, I'm only 19 and am only in college, so maybe in ten years I'll think adulthood is totally awesome, but I don't really see how it can be better than being a kid with nothing to worry about.

Don't Sex Me Bro

I'm the lone vote (so far) for mid-life. I just entered it and I am having a blast! I have finally gotten to the point where I enjoy my own company. Considering how I started life, I consider that a major achievement.

Touchofinsight

Late teens early twenties before my life long friend moved to Washington, got married, and joined the Navy. Some of my most fondest memories fell within that time period and some before... oh nostalgia you elusive temptress.

I'm in my early 20s but am not a college student and really can't stand the idea of being a college student (total opposite of my idea of fun) - but this is the best my life has been. Do I pick college?

Elementary school, because this was when I had less cares or worries. My happiness wore away with each passing year, thanks to my family and schoolmates making me miserable.

Purnkin Spurce

When I was around 8-10. My whole life was focused on cartoons, dreaming, and fantasizing about having magical powers. I was free with nothing to really worry about. I was innocent and no one could take it away form me. Until I turned 12 and let me tell you tween years and up sucked!

I'm in my early 20s but am not a college student and really can't stand the idea of being a college student (total opposite of my idea of fun) - but this is the best my life has been. Do I pick college?

I just added some age groups to the latter options. I didn't want to nitpick with K-12 (and ages in general) since there really does seem to be phases for back then, but I guess some clarification would be good.

It's still a bit too Americans centric to me and I can't relate as the education system here is very different. College here means 16 to 18... I'm more on the side of kittyspoontrain though... Although late teens, early twenties wasn't too bad, but I may be only remembering the good bits...

I just added some age groups to the latter options. I didn't want to nitpick with K-12 (and ages in general) since there really does seem to be phases for back then, but I guess some clarification would be good.

Ah okay, voted! I can't say it's all peaches and sunshine, but my health is at least somewhat under control and I'm no longer in contact in with most relatives. Also! No more school! I love my twenties compared to the beginning of my life!

Notte stellata

I enjoyed my college days because it was a great time for my intellectual growth. I read a lot, attended lectures frequently, and went to all kinds of art performances. I also participated in some interesting activities at school.

I've also enjoyed the last couple of years of my life, because (largely thanks to AVEN!) I've found the relationship style that is right for me and connected with people who share my weirdness. It has been a very liberating journey. I expect this joy to last a long time. :wub:

18-22 because I finally had friends and I was no longer felt surrounded by idiots.

Childhood was nice as well, becuase I got away with a lot of stuff simply for being a cute little weird kid.

Any age had its ups and downs, but it's mostly been a crescendo for me, and I'm pretty happy with my life right now (I'm 21). I can't really pick though, because I feel like I'll keep enjoying my life more and more as I go :P

WhenSummersGone

Honestly I would say today and who I am right now is the best I've ever felt. My social anxiety was terrible as a kid and middle school/high school had puberty and bullies. I was clueless as to what I wanted in life after high school. I know what I want in life now and I'm much happier at 27.

I'm only 21 so I haven't experienced anything beyond college, but for me, the younger the better. Elementary school...when all my beloved relatives were alive, the world was a shining happy place full of endless possibilities, and I was confident, energetic, and happy.....*mournful sigh* And then it's all been steadily downhill from there. :-(

Although, I just read a study recently saying that happiness usually peaks around age 60-something....hmm....

gypsy_princess

i'm finishing high school and these years have been the best of my life. elementary and middle school were hell.

The only stage/years of life that I have enjoyed so far have been the last 2 and a half. It took 32 years to gain just a little bit of happiness. The rest were ranging from pretty wretched to hell on Earth. I feel as though I should be treading very carefully, wrapping myself up in bubble wrap, wearing sound repellent head phones and recording everything I do. Just to confirm one day, if needs be, that such an existence can be maintained.

iamphoenixfire

Well elementary school was rejection, loneliness, and bullying, so that's out. Middle school was plagued by my parent's divorce. and, i think, that while these years have not been all that great, high school is the best. definitely. but i hope college is better

For me it would be elementary school, which, being that I am in the US, meant the years from when I was about 5 until I was about 10 or 11. Actually, I consider 1979 to be the best year of my life hands-down (I was 9) so far. Granted, lots of bad things were going on in the world back then, including the Iranian hostage crisis, but being that I was a child I basically knew nothing of such things, other than what little I remember being taught about political issues in school. So while for many who were adults then, it may not have been great, but for me it was more or less the last carefree and totally idealistic year of my life (actually I could include part of 1980 in with that, up until when my grandfather got sick and died, and then after that, things went down hill big time).

I have so many fond memories of the late 70's and part of 1980, and being that I was a child I had no adult worries either. Probably the 2nd best time in my life was college. I was finally able to further my education and found myself amongst like-minded people, making friends, and being free from the horrid bullying of high school. In college I was able to "find" myself artistically and expand my horizons and explore many new things in life. I was in good health (though sadly I was rather overweight, but I didn't have the medical issues I do now and I'd yearn for those days back), I had a part-time job all thru school and I lived with my parents so I had money to buy whatever I wanted or needed.

Without a doubt the worst part of my life was high school - not only are teen years awkward and most everyone struggles in one way or the other, on top of that, as noted, I was bullied severely and it was all I could do to get up and go to school every day and I truly feel like I fought a war in order to get my diploma. And like a veteran of a real war, I struggled with depression and other mental problems brought on by my experiences, and it took me some time (well into college and beyond) to get over it. And sadly, back in those days no one thought anything of bullying like they do now.

The 2nd worst time of my life was around the turn of the millennium. I had been living in California for a few years, far from my family and friends (though I did make new friends out there), and there was a whole collusion of events that took place, including prolonged joblessness (due to a union strike, even though I wasn't union lots in my industry were, and also due in part to 9/11), romantic failures and other things, that drove me into a deep depression that lasted more than a couple of years. The time from the summer of 2002 until probably 2004 or later is just a blur to me, as I don't remember much because I was pretty out of it.

Thankfully the time I am currently in is fairly enjoyable, not anywhere near as much as when I was a small child but far better than the darkest parts.

I count my twenties as containing some of my favourite memories. I had a busy social life, a lot of friends, enjoyed my job, went on lots of holidays, was very close to my brother, was better off financially, less stressed, the music and fashion was better in the 90s and early Noughties and I felt like I fitted in and had a life.

That's not to say that I'm not enjoying myself now in my thirties, but life seemed a bit more carefree 10-15 years ago.

Archived