Which one was harder to figure out?

Robin L

Identities  

1. 1. Which one was harder for you to figure out?

• Sexual orientation
    • Romantic orientation
    • Gender identity

This poll is closed to new votes

Gender, hands down.

Mostly because I didn't know of anything beyond the gender binary, but probably also because it's physically observable in a way. Gender expression, and subsequently, gender impression can't be avoided in any social situation. I have always been a bit on the headstrong side of things, meaning I presented the way I liked (and still do). No use catering to other people's preferences.

Which brings consequenses obviously, and putting me in awkward situations at an almost daily basis (why yes, I'm talking about you, public rest rooms). Hearing about the gender spectrum did clarify much, so that helps.

As for romantic/sexual orientaions, I've always been firmly on the side of "no bloody way", so that was fairly easy.

Gender identity by far, that will keep me occupied for a long time still. Sexual orientation was difficult too, mainly because it is pretty fluid, with periods of a few months or a year of really just… different things. Like, accepting I am/was bi(sexual) was easy, but accepting that sometimes sexual attraction just isn't a thing for me for significant amounts of time was harder. Romantic orientation wasn't easy either, because I have had something I then interpreted as crushes even though i don't really get the whole concept. But since I have never felt the desire to be in a romantic relationship even with the people i crushed on i just decided to id as aromantic and it makes so much more sense, so i soon found it easy to accept as a fact about myself.

verily-forsooth-egads

Sexual orientation was easy—a few months of questioning, then I found AVEN, and I was sure right away. And I've decided I just don't give a damn about gender. Romantic orientation has been and still is by far the hardest. I'm working on that one.

Always assumed I was heterosexual since I'm demiheteroromantic. I didn't know demi was a thing though, so I just thought I was picky. It took me a long time though to realize my asexuality, and after that quite a while to accept it. (I've always been very sure of my gender identity)

Hmm. It's a little tough to say...it's close between sexual and romantic, but I chose romantic. For sexual identity...well, goodness, I didn't know asexuality existed my whole life until this year lol! But when I found out about it and researched, it was pretty easy to see it's where I fit (though I did wonder if I was demi or gray first, but that was because I was considering the possible future that hasn't happened!).

But for my romantic identity...it was a bit more confusing. I still question it at times, mostly because I went through life assuming that every time I thought someone was good-looking or really nice...that that was a crush/romantic attraction. But it wasn't always, and I haven't had those feelings in a long time...so I've settled on gray-romantic. BUT the more important aspect (to me) is my lithromantic-ness. And that term was completely foreign to me...it took more time to understand how incredibly well it described my feelings/emotions/reactions I've dealt with.

My gender...has been confusing and troublesome at times, but it hasn't been as hard to deal with. /long answer

Sexual orientation was easy for me to figure out - I'm still trying to figure out my romantic orientation and gender orientation. I'm physically female but I am mentally more of an 'it' which kind of confuses me a lot. I have no idea whatsoever what my romantic orientation is.

Romantic orientation was harder for me, as I definitely knew I was asexual

Romantic orientation. Definitely. While I still don't fully accept/embrace my aceness, it DID actually came as a relief when I found out it was a legit thing and not me having issues. Being gay just made my life so much harder and scarier. Especially because according to most people, I look like the stereotype. Which is ridiculous. Plus there's always people you have to be careful around. Walking around hand in hand with a girlfriend could go very wrong depending on where you live, but they still wouldn't know the asexual side of it.

• 3 weeks later...

FRICKING GENDER IDENTITY, MAN.

I have no clue what gender I am.

Iffy about my sexual orientation too, but I've always been positive about my romantic orientation.

I'd rather be in band.

I'm somewhat conflicted. I'd have to say that either my gender identity or my romantic orientation are what I still have difficulty sorting out to this day. I feel quite a bit of gender dysphoria, - almost more than most agendered people have recalled feeling - however I suppose it may simply be a difference in experience. So, I'll have to go with my romantic orientation; it's something that's tricky to pinpoint.

Romantic orientation. I'd say that has been the hardest to figure out thus far. I'm very confident in my asexual label, and gender identity I don't quite understand. While I don't fit society's expectation of a male, I feel no need to identify as anything different.

Sexual orientation was difficult. I have always preferred women, but realising that this was not a sexual attraction took until this year. Romantic orientation was easy. The preference for women has always been the case. Gender is unresolved. I always thought of myself as male, but that rug got pulled away from under me earlier this year as I realised I had spent my entire adult life pretending to be someone I wasn't. Pretence was normal hetero-male, reality is probably very abnormal asexual and neither one thing or another, but that's another story

Gender identity was never an issue for me. I've known my romantic orientation since I was 4 or 5. Sexual orientation, that was the hard one.

• 2 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived