Urban, Suburban, or Rural?

mayve

1. 1. Where do you prefer to live?

• Urban (city)
    • Suburban
    • Rural (countryside)

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm surprised, I thought more people would want to live in the city. But for me, it's the countryside. I grew up in a fairly rural area, so it just feels like home to me.

I would love to live in a rural environment, right now I live in a suburban environment.

I've lived in all three before and I can say without a doubt my favorite kind of place to live is the suburbs. The city has it's crowded charm, high buildings and interesting places, and sure the seclusion, scenery, animals, and plants of rurals areas is nice. But suburban neighborhoods have always been the most beautiful, had places to go and visit whenever you wanted to, always are nice neighborhoods, aren't too crowded, and usually have bigger houses than the city. Maybe I'm biased because one of the most beautiful locations I could recall is a cherry tree grove with a large field next to it near one of my favorite houses in the suburbs, but that's just me.

I'm a pet/house sitter and many of my clients are semi-rural and I HATE it!!!!!!! It is the most god awful, horrible place to be in the world. I hate Everything about it.

I like to go camping and being out in the middle of nowhere.... for like a WEEKEND... then I want to come back to civilization!

Urban.
As someone who's spent most of their life living in the middle of nowhere... it's boring, and probably why I spend my time on the Internet. There is nothing to do here, 85% of the population are above the age of 60 and I have to drive everywhere because the buses only stop on Tuesdays and Saturdays (and only come one way).

Rural life sucks.

Urban.

As someone who's spent most of their life living in the middle of nowhere... it's boring, and probably why I spend my time on the Internet. There is nothing to do here, 85% of the population are above the age of 60 and I have to drive everywhere because the buses only stop on Tuesdays and Saturdays (and only come one way).

Rural life sucks.

I'm pretty much the same. I grew up in a farm that was in town that had 1400 residents. It was pretty nice though too quiet when I was a teenager. I thought I'd never want to live in a city because it was just too alien to me.

But now I've realised that I prefer urban. My jobs are in urban enviroment and because I live in the city, I can every day walk to my workplace (10-15min). If I would have chosen suburban or rural, I woud have to spend considerable time every day sitting in the traffic (I HATE it). All the services are nearby. On my way to work there is a big mall (80 stores) and huge supermarket. I can easily get japanese incredients for cooking when ever I want. It's easy to go out. Public transportation that works. This place fits my current lifestyle that is about working, sitting in front of computer and sometimes eating delicious things.

I do miss the nature sometimes, but the place I live isn't too tighly build so there is plenty of small green spots around. No major traffic noise. None to bedrooms. I have big national park half hour drive away.

House of Chimeras

Suburban or rural. Maybe somewhere in-between if possible. Not way out in the middle of nowhere where it would take forever to get to a store, a school, post office, etc but also preferably where we could have an acre or two. Least that would be dream and ideal.

SubRural. Somewhere between suburban and rural. Big city scares me. Too big and too crowded. I live in a "city" (only a few thousand, just big enough to call it a city) but I would consider it a suburban town, but I like it here. Several miles away would be rural farmland. Witch I like to visit but I think it would be too much to travel all the time if say I ran out of milk and had to run to the store.

Urban:

- much better public transportation

- easier to blend in or get lost

- access to a wider variety of products

- shorter time to good hospitals

- good walkability

- more sharing of resources = less waste

- familiar

I've lived all my life in two cities- Chicago and Jerusalem- and have only stayed outside of cities very briefly for visits or vacations (and I wasn't the one choosing the vacation locales).

Aisntllecxtual

I was brought up in a rather small town - Cumberkand, Maine. I like the peace, solitude, and natural beauty of the countryside - feel most at home there. I lived in a medium-sized town in Croatia for the last year and nearly a week ago arrived and am living in what I consider a large city - Ft. Myers, Florida. Karlovac (Croatia) was agreeable - many parks, pedestrian friendly, could walk anywhere everywhere to shop and do whatever you needed to do. Ft. Myers is contrarily sprawling, a car is needed to go to most places - lacks soul - but is blessedly warm year-round.

My ideal environment? Countryside where I can walk readily without fear of becoming roadkill and where much of my needs can be met without fouling the environment with transportation carbon footprints. And, important because of my Raynaud's disease (an adverse circulatory condition), an environment that is equatorially tropical. Am I asking for too much? It seems, but I have lived in an environment that met all three conditions, the Seychelles. But it didn't meet my unmentioned fourth desire, an environment with economic opportunity - facilitative in realizing my considerable ambitions. Oh well, I guess, we can't have it all, but I will keep on keeping on in trying to realize my utopia.

• 4 months later...
AnomalyEternal

I currently live in a suburban area, but ever since I was a kid I've wanted to live out on a farm, probably because I grew up with my grandparents on both sides of the family owning commercial farms.

• 6 months later...

suburbs, town centres are too crowded for me but rural life is too lonely, although living in the suburbs as I do is just plain dull. Do I know what I REALLY want? Don't be silly

Urban. I need to be surrounded by other people to make myself feel I'm interacting enough with them, which I don't do.

• 2 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived