Question to the Parents of Asexuals

LittleBee

I'll start by saying I'm pretty much asexual, so I can't talk much about being an ally or friend to an ACE, nor can I tell you about how super overly sexed up I am (coz I would be lying and would probably be really bad at bluffing that stuff anyway)

Anyhow, introductions aside, I'm wondering what it is like for any of you parents/guardians of an ACE. My mom seems pretty cool with it, but she once jokingly stated that I should probably go to a sex therapist (she seemed serious at first but when I reacted to it, she said she was joking though I'm not entirely convinced). She's generally open-minded about things and never pressurizes me to date (not saying things like"Well your cousin has met a nice young man, why dont you try dating a little more) however I'm not entirely sure what she, or anyone elses parents in general, thinks about having a child who is ace? What do you guys think of your kids being aces?

When I bring it up -very rarely, its only come up once or twice with my mom- she tends to tell me to not assign a label to myself, but I wonder if it is because the label is "asexual"? What if I said, "Im Gay" or "I'm straight" or "I'm bi"? She couldn't say the same thing to being gay right? Couldn't say" Don't box yourself in like that, maybe you do like men" if you are gay, generally you are gay, why is it a "maybe" when you tell someone you are asexual?

What are your experiences?

My mum was fairly positive about it. She didn't say anything insulting or potentially offensive about it. I don't think she really cares what I do. She doesn't care if I get married, although she keeps telling me I shouldn't! She doesn't care about me having a girlfriend, and she doesn't care if I have sex, which most likely won't happen anyway!

I seem to have been fairly lucky with my mum, in that she doesn't claim I am broken, or gay, etc. She's very accepting! :33

Archived