Angry at the world...

SorryNotSorry

SorryNotSorry

Relax, I'm not the one who's angry at the world... rather, it's MGTOW (men going their own way) who tend to be angry at the world.

A couple of years ago, I joined a MGTOW board because a few of them happen to be pretty good in the techie dept, but now I think that was a mistake. Apparently to become fully accepted by the MGTOW community, you have to be part of a hive mind in which you're sexually frustrated, you're always the victim, and you must never, ever work on improving your quality of life (so you can always have plenty to bitch about). Life, to MGTOW, is one big gripefest.

Oh, and MGTOW absolutely LOVE to blame all their woes on "liberals" (when in fact, most of the things they complain about happen to them as a result of their own bad decisions, usually the result of being narrow minded and bull headed). They really think Ronald Reagan deserves to have his face carved onto Mount Rushmore.

Like the other day, I half-jokingly posted a new thread on a MGTOW board in which I gave instructions in how to piss off statists. Well, all the guys who read that thread were like, "yeah, dog pile on the baaaaad liberals! Yeah, yeah!" UNTIL... I replied that conservatives can be statist assholes too, and the tone of all the guys on that thread immediately soured. It was both sad and funny the way they declared me persona non grata and accused me of living in a fantasy world, but they proved my point.

Such an attitude is by no means limited to men. My cousin, who is 3 years older than me and is very smart and attractive, moved to a heavily conservative area of the state a couple of years ago, and when she called me to ask how things were going last Christmas, her familiar optimistic tone had changed to something very like that of the MGTOW on that board---she complained about how liberals, Democrats, welfare mamas, Mexicans, and blacks were making her life miserable (her neck had turned as red as Santa's suit). Needless to say, I felt pretty relieved once it was time to hang up.

I think part of the problem in this country is that we just have a huge percentage of people who believe everyone else is to blame for their misfortunes but themselves: apparently there's this huge phantom section of the population who really has it in for us.

iamphoenixfire

Those delusions aren't exclusive to just this country.

No, they are not. Everyone wants to have someone else to blame for their misfortunes and that, my friend, is the main reason we have so many horrible things going on in this world, from war to poverty to oppression- it's all because we don't want to be at fault, so we put the fault on other people, like minorities, which results in them being oppressed. We look for all of the horrible things that we do in others, and when we see them, we take out our anger upon them. And sometimes, if we really feel like we need someone to blame for something, we go to war. It is so stupid. But the worst part is when you realize that you do it too. Because it's what people do. It's not exclusive to this country, it's not exclusive to anywhere. It's all just bloody awful.

People being responsible for their own actions and decisions? Thats not the American way anymore. It's much easier to blame everyone else instead of examine your own life and make positive changes. Self reflection is horrifying. Who knows what you'll see?

Those delusions aren't exclusive to just this country.

I agree. I think it's something that extreme conservatives from all countries have in common. The only difference is who the scapegoats are, and even there, the difference isn't that big. Basically here, unemployed people, homeless people, immigrants, blacks, Chinese people, Jews, and Muslims, Muslims again, Muslims always.
Captain Darkhorse

The logical way of taking responsibility for your own actions got swapped with blaming everyone who could've had no effect on your personal well-being. Cheers to ethnocentrism and having a giant ego.

Well it's not all bad, guys. Look at the bright side, at least these idiots will probably die alone and miserable. So there's that.

SorryNotSorry

Also, they're great fodder for parodies... though of course they don't appreciate it. Back during the Bush regime, I learned the hard way that anyone who joked about "compassionate conservatism" became an object of right-wing hatred for being honest.

Those on the right have NO sense of humor when it comes to being able to laugh at themselves, as do most MGTOW.

Kitty Spoon Train

I think part of the problem in this country is that we just have a huge percentage of people who believe everyone else is to blame for their misfortunes but themselves: apparently there's this huge phantom section of the population who really has it in for us.

That's interesting...

One thing I admire (though not necessarily unconditionally support) about American culture is that idea of extreme individual self-reliance and personal responsibility, at least the way it seems to be presented as a true ethos over there (to those of us who don't live there). I can never quite work out how much it's actually a real thing, and how much it's possibly just a mythos - and to what extent things are actually more or less the same as in most other Western democracies.

I grew up in a communist country - meaning that I'm quite used to the idea of privately "blaming the system" actually being a pretty rational thing to do. When the system really is screwed up and truly keeps you down and tramples on your individual freedom and spirit, it's actually pretty rational to complain about it. But when people whine about things around here, it can usually be traced back to some kind of personally contextual status anxiety.

Hmmm, not sure what my point is.

One thing I admire (though not necessarily unconditionally support) about American culture is that idea of extreme individual self-reliance and personal responsibility, at least the way it seems to be presented as a true ethos over there (to those of us who don't live there). I can never quite work out how much it's actually a real thing, and how much it's possibly just a mythos - and to what extent things are actually more or less the same as in most other Western democracies.

Individuality is important, but I feel like a lot more emphasis is put on what the individual does than what they are in America. Of course, I'm not American, so I might well be wrong. However, I don't think of it as a particularly individualistic culture. Quite the opposite: the individualistic "mask" serves them well to fuel a system that is, essentially, based on utility more than personality. Otherwise, why wouldn't unemployed people be able to access the same health insurance as everyone else? The only thing that comes to mind is that they're not productive for society.

So yeah... the US certainly have a number of perks. Self-reliant, capable of coming out of incredibly damaging economical crises and whatnot. But I can't say I'm not afraid of the ways they differentiate individual treatment there.

alpacaterpillar
Hmmm, not sure what my point is.

Basically, when there is legitimate cause to blame others, blame others and not yourself, and when there is legitimate cause to blame yourself, blame yourself and not others? :P

Of course, figuring out what is legitimate cause for what is another story (probably a significant part of life in general actually :P)... But yes, many people (MGTOW being the example here) seem to think that a certain process of action (blaming others in this case) is always the right thing to do, without consideration for what is actually being brought about. They most likely do so because they enjoy the sense of self-righteousness it brings them. I suppose it becomes something of a self-propelling cycle of... blissful hatred of a sort, irrelevant to the rest of the world and society. Due to the nature of the MGTOW cycle, those not of MGTOW tend to find them a thoroughly unpleasant bunch.

Um... there's the basic facts I guess :P Judge what you will from that.

You might want to point out that Reagan reported seeing UFO'S, twice, according to the New York Times. Also Nancy used astrology to help him run the country. That will rile them up.

Captain Darkhorse

Individuality is important, but I feel like a lot more emphasis is put on what the individual does than what they are in America. Of course, I'm not American, so I might well be wrong. However, I don't think of it as a particularly individualistic culture. Quite the opposite: the individualistic "mask" serves them well to fuel a system that is, essentially, based on utility more than personality. Otherwise, why wouldn't unemployed people be able to access the same health insurance as everyone else? The only thing that comes to mind is that they're not productive for society.

So yeah... the US certainly have a number of perks. Self-reliant, capable of coming out of incredibly damaging economical crises and whatnot. But I can't say I'm not afraid of the ways they differentiate individual treatment there.

As an American, this is essentially correct. You could be the most vile person in the world, and as long as you do good things you'll have a group of people supporting you. And the reverse is true too. Someone could be the nicest human out there, but they'd still be martyred for doing anything negative. Of course, what's negative and positive depends on the region of the country you're in.

The "individualism" part of American culture plays a stronger role in some sections of the country than others. Those who are labeled "unproductive" or "moochers" are usually cast off to the bottom, but even then the definitions aren't the same nationwide. A person could be labeled as undeserving in one part of the country and get nothing, while that exact same person would get the assistance he or she needs in another.

As far as health insurance goes, the US doesn't have one system of health insurance. There's Medicare for seniors, and there's Medicaid/CHIP for (usually) kids under 17 whose parents don't make enough money to break the poverty line, but other than than, there's nothing if your employer doesn't provide insurance or you can't pay for it yourself. If you're 25 and unemployed, or if you work and your employer doesn't provide health insurance, it sucks to be you. One of the biggest problems I see with American individualism is that it breeds a "black and white" reward system. There is no gray; there is no "just give them a chance and let them prove themselves". Either you're deserving of aid, or you're not.

It's easier for people to blame others for their problems instead of actually doing something about it. Being a bigot is easy. Changing your life and accepting responsibility for it is difficult.

SorryNotSorry

Changing your life and accepting responsibility for it is difficult.

Here in the US, if anyone tells you "this is for your own good", you can be pretty sure that most of the time, it isn't---it's for the good of whoever is telling you.

Archived