Japan: A new Culture of Asexuality?

spunkaloidal

A thread titled "Young People Have Stopped Having Sex In Japan" was moved from Asexual Musings and Rantings and merged with this one.

The Great WTF

*insert tired massaging of eyes here* Someone brought the article to my Japanese professor today. He laughed hysterically at it and said whoever wrote it has no understanding of Japanese culture and societal pressures. I'm kind of inclined to agree.

• Like 2

^ And that's a wrap, folks. xD Hahaha.

Yeah... Japan's culture is very different to ours, so it makes me cringe when Western journalists start applying their country's own values to those of Japan. It seems very intrusive and ignorant IMO.

*insert tired massaging of eyes here* Someone brought the article to my Japanese professor today. He laughed hysterically at it and said whoever wrote it has no understanding of Japanese culture and societal pressures. I'm kind of inclined to agree.

Man, now I want to write an article in Chinese saying how westerners don't follow the rules of Confusisus.

• Like 1

Two privileged straights who can't entertain the notion that some people simply born like them.

[/media]

"Dude, you've gotta have sex" "There's something fundamentally wrong with you"

Fuck you.

Thread 'Asexuals called "cultural poison" by "progressive" news site merged with this one'.

CC,

World Watch Moderator.

Two privileged straights who can't entertain the notion that some people simply born like them.

[/media]

Fuck you.

Seconded. o_O Geeeeeeez.

• Like 1

[/media]

Fuck you.

Ya, this was crazy. I LOVE Young Turks as they stand up for gay and trans rights all the blasted time, but I guess they don't really care to look into anything fully. The pro is there are several asexual people responding to the video on youtube so maybe that will set them straight.

Out of my way- I'm moving to Japan!

where to?

also, that video is total fail and the comments on it really piss me off. le sigh.

I was trying to reply to the Young Turks video in the original thread before I saw it had been moved here, haha.

Yeah, the Young Turks have always been very pretentious, ignorant, and presumptuous. They can't be bothered to think beyond their own egocentric brains. Granted, every one of us is egocentric to some level, but the Young Turks are some of the worst of us. Ugh.

However, and these are just my two cents--it really does seem like there are some very strong stigmas and prejudices in Japan that are making a great number of younger people react by not being in relationships or bothering with the biological and emotional effects that sex sometimes has. I'm sure there is more to it, but it does sound like an issue to some extent. Saying that, while I wouldn't doubt there are asexuals a part of this situation, I don't think the situation has much to do with asexuality itself more than it has do with very negative gender roles. That and careers. But as for the latter, I can understand foregoing relationships, even sex, when you're extremely focused on your work. I know how that is, and I don't see much of an issue with that scenario.

• Like 2

I read about this too! I think that Japan is hyposexual or asexual, but I don't think they would be like that if it weren't for the government. Plus, a lot of them have casual sexual relationships. They're more against marriage than sex. I think they're very very aromantic over there, no doubt.

I dont consider as an new asexuals they have really depelove social issues and that makes them dont have sex, its not like they are asexuals its just a social problems cause of the technology and the big laboral competention that make many people get apart of that big and stressfull society diferent of really asexuals that have been like that and have completly normal lifes

The Great WTF

I wandered across this article and thought people might find it interesting. It's basically a giant deconstruction of the 'Japan is going sexless' articles we've seen floating around the last few years.

• Like 1
Notte stellata

I wandered across this article and thought people might find it interesting. It's basically a giant deconstruction of the 'Japan is going sexless' articles we've seen floating around the last few years.

Thanks for sharing! When I read "61% of unmarried men and 49% of women aged 18-34 were not in any kind of romantic relationship" from the Guardian article, I thought, "So what? Sounds pretty normal to me that about half of unmarried people aren't in romantic relationships." *shrug*