20/20 AIRDATE ANNOUNCED: 24th March

AVENguy

Cate Perfect

Why would a photo be an odd request? It *is* a tv show. DJ, what email address did you give her for me?

Cate

bard of aven

So, will it be the cute, attractive looking poeple they seek out, or those who will be regarded by their audience as somehow unattractive or out of the mainstream in looks???? Hmmm.

boa

Winter, she did ask for a photo of me. I already have some online so I just told her where to find them.

BOA, I was wondering the same thing.

I also had a nice talk with her, and she asked me for a photo as well.

Maybe I should have told her to just picture our little bug-eyed emoticon with straight grey-blonde hair and she would have a good visual image of me in front of a TV camera!

She did reassure me by saying that any potential TV interviews would be taped, not live, so there would be plenty of time for repeated questions in case something didn't sound right.

-Greybird

Cate Perfect

DJ sent in a list of media contacts, from what I understand.

Cate

:shock:

eep.

Talked to her not too long ago, and she seems to be interested in having me contribute something to the story. I told her that I would like to think of myself as brave enough to do this, but the reality may be that I am not nearly brave enough. . . . I mean: national televison! That's big. And visible. So very, very visible. . . . *shudders uncontrollably*

Cate Perfect

I've just responded to her email. We've got to set up a time to chat. *Now* I'm nervous. What'd she ask? *prepares self* *throws up*

Cate

bard of aven

Geez, Cate, I just got those shoes!!!

boa

Cate Perfect

Whoops. Mind that. *hands over gigantic bottle of club soda*

Really people--what'd she say/ask?

Cate

Well, our conversations seemed to flow more or less organically. She did say to tell her if she asked anything too personal. . . . Now, how could questions about my sexuality/sex life get too personal. . . . :roll: She did ask if I had ever met anyone like myself (before AVEN, that is), and the anwer was no. She asked how my ex handles the asexuality thing, I said I didn't know. . . . That kind of thing. She didn't ask me for a picture, though. . . .

*sidestaeps the vomit* I am curious to see how all of this (20/20) plays out

Cate Perfect
Well, our conversations seemed to flow more or less organically. She did say to tell her if she asked anything too personal. . . . Now, how could questions about my sexuality/sex life get too personal. . . . :roll: She did ask if I had ever met anyone like myself (before AVEN, that is), and the anwer was no. She asked how my ex handles the asexuality thing, I said I didn't know. . . . That kind of thing. She didn't ask me for a picture, though. . . .

Ok. That's about how most of my telephone interviews have gone. I can handle that.

Cartoonist: Me, too. *swipes a purple banana*

Cate

VivreEstEsperer

If anyone is interested, they should email DJ at webmaster@asexuality.org

I really enjoyed talking to her. Very honest and down to earth. She seems genuinely interested in what it means, what it feels like to be asexual. She's open to our suggestions and seems to want to accurately portray what it means to be asexual.

She asked the standard questions. When did you first know something was different, how did you discover asexuality, what did you feel like when you found other asexuals, do your parents know, what were their reactions, have you ever been in a relationship, do you want kids, have you ever experimented, etc. All asked in a very respectful way. And yes I was asked for a picture too, which I had no problem in giving.

Kate

LostPenguin

I wish I had the guts you guys do. If they decide to cover asexuality and the show goes well, I'll probably kick myself someday for at least not having been involved, but hey. I'm a scaredycat involving most things, and I'm still mostly a closet asexual. ;D Good luck to those of you who are staying involved, though.

Cate Perfect

No matter who actually makes the show we'll probably want to admin a few extra people when it airs.

*places order for extra trollapults*

At least it's a news show that airs at a time and on a day most potential trolls will be out.

Cate

Hey that is my purple banana

I am such a chicken. I only have told one person, and having it made public on national tv probably isnt the best way to break it to my family and ohhh the other people that know me

cartoonist you're not a chicken people are different. I don't think telling the people I did was helpful or a good idea.

Some here have said they will never tell anyone.

And I'm on the wrong side of the world for this programme anyway.

cartoonist you're not a chicken people are different. I don't think telling the people I did was helpful or a good idea.

nah, I really like taking the chicken way out of things.

back on topic now....

Thanks to Kate for telling me about this :wink: I just spoke to the woman a few minutes ago, and I agree that she seems very friendly and open-minded. 20/20, can you imagine?? That is mad cool!

OMG! This is SO exciting!

From what I remember, they are pretty balanced on their presentation, but they could include some "zingers" (I tried to come up with some possible examples but failed - they would be in the tv presentation, not in the interviews).

I pray that they're be fair and objective. This is BIG!!! They are *certainly* not Springer-like. They try to present it from their "research" information and perspective. I would think they'd be unlikely to pull in comments from "anti-asexuals". Although they may have an "expert" explain how Aness couldn't exist...

Ok, I'll stf up now.

How many people so far are actually willing to go on the show if they are chosen?

*raises very shaky hand*

-Greybird

Vicious Trollop

Good luck, everyone! This is a great opportunity. I've enjoyed the handful of radio and newspaper interviews I've done, but this would be too much too soon for me. I'm so excited to follow how this develops and finally see the special!

VivreEstEsperer

Yay Greybird! *hug* You can do it! I'm sure you'll be fine, you strike me as very articulate with a lot to say so I'm sure you'll be able to hold your own...

I'm not sure the exact number but I think you would make the 7th or so from what I've heard.

Kate

Silly Green Monkey

Will they bring us together and let us meet?

Cate Perfect

*raises hand*

I'll go. Everyond who counts already knows anyway.

SGM--I think they just go to your separate towns and interview you.

Cate

Live R Perfect

Wow this is great! :D

Huge dollops of respect to all who are taking part :vis:

Archived