Welcome to the WorldPride 2014 forum

On the World Pride Toronto website it says that it will be and "international celebration incorporating activism, education, and the history and culture of global LGBTTIQQ2SA communities," defining LGBTTIQQ2SA as: "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer/Questioning, 2 Spirited, Allies"....

Guess we're not invited guys.... :(

But AVEN attended WP 2012 and, correct me if I'm wrong, are petitioning [idk if this is the right word] to be officially recognized by the WP community. Also WP is about community, celebration, education, and reaching out to people. Don't feel so disheartened that we're not "invited" because generally anyone who wants to attend can attend! :D

On the World Pride Toronto website it says that it will be and "international celebration incorporating activism, education, and the history and culture of global LGBTTIQQ2SA communities," defining LGBTTIQQ2SA as: "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer/Questioning, 2 Spirited, Allies"....

ugh... the A in the acronym is supposed to stand for Asexual. I don't recall "ally's" ever actually being apart of the LGBT community even though. I thought that was the point, that they weren't apart of the community.

this just gives me even more reason to not want to go to world pride...

JJButterworth

ugh... the A in the acronym is supposed to stand for Asexual. I don't recall "ally's" ever actually being apart of the LGBT community even though. I thought that was the point, that they weren't apart of the community.

Out out the three years that I have been at Toronto pride we have been welcomed with open arms, now that is not to say that there have been times that asexuals have not felt welcomed but I believe that the tide is changing.

Asexuality is being debated as to whether it should be included in the LGBTQ+ acronym. Some asexuals do not feel that we should be part of the LGBTQ+ community, for example. And there is also the vast amount of misunderstanding/ignorance related to asexuality that must be dispelled every time it is brought up. We're doing fairly well in terms of recognition, considering it's only been about 12 years since AVEN was founded, and before then, nobody really thought about asexuals. Homosexuality's been around for ages, and people have known about it for that long (Romans/Greeks debated which sexuality was "better" and several cultures thought it was manly to sleep with another man so long as you were the one putting it in, for example), yet it took until 1973 for the American Psychiatric Association to remove it from their list of mental disorders, and homosexuals are just now starting to gain some equality.

Just a note: despite its name, WorldPride is not just for LGBT asexuals. Asexuals (and gray-As, demis etc) who don't feel part of LGBT might well want to skip the pride parade on Sunday 29 June, but come to our conference on Saturday 28 June. This conference will be organised entirely by us, the asexual community. So even if everyone else is unwelcoming (which absolutely won't be the case - I really expect an overwhelmingly positive reception based on past form*), the asexual conference will hopefully make it all worth while.

For what it's worth, I am very pro-LGBT inclusion myself; a while ago I wrote an article, with emmarainbow, defending our inclusion in LGBT (though it's now a bit dated, as it doesn't mention grays or demis iirc):

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/50489-asexuality-and-lgbt/

But again, you won't have to feel part of LGBT to come along to the asexual con. We had LGBT-skeptics at the WorldPride asexual conference in 2012; they are also quite welcome.

(*) EDIT: See also here!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Omnes et Nihil

I'm probably going to stay as far as possible away from Toronto during this whole mess. I don't really like pride (or most parades in general) and although I live close, I just don't see the point in going to an overly crowded place to just stand around. If someone wants to organize an Ace event I might be interested in going though.

Oh, we'll be in the parade, and we're planning an ace conference thing. So there will be lots of ace activity stuff if you're interested.

Ser Sawyer Sauce the Sare

Is AVEN registered as an official group, meaning do I have to pay the ridiculous fees to attend things at WP or can I say I am with a non-profit and get the nice not $200-500 fees?

Omnes et Nihil

Is AVEN registered as an official group, meaning do I have to pay the ridiculous fees to attend things at WP or can I say I am with a non-profit and get the nice not $200-500 fees?

Do you mean for marching in the parade? You don't need to pay anything, but you do need to be with a group that is registered to march (and AVEN will be-- we're in the process of doing that). The fees are for the organisations to buy parade tickets.

That means that if you want to march, you just show up at the time and place they assign us on our AVEN parade ticket.

The Dyke march and the Trans march don't need registration. (And nobody pays anything to march in them.)

There are a while bunch of other WP events-- many are free and outside, but some events/bars/parties/concerts will charge admission or need tickets.

Ser Sawyer Sauce the Sare

Do you mean for marching in the parade? You don't need to pay anything, but you do need to be with a group that is registered to march (and AVEN will be-- we're in the process of doing that). The fees are for the organisations to buy parade tickets.

That means that if you want to march, you just show up at the time and place they assign us on our AVEN parade ticket.

The Dyke march and the Trans march don't need registration. (And nobody pays anything to march in them.)

There are a while bunch of other WP events-- many are free and outside, but some events/bars/parties/concerts will charge admission or need tickets.

Thank you :)

The website was really confusing.

The WorldPride asexual conference (28 june) will also be free. Stay tuned. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We can keep on educating and being visible and stuff, to make A mean asexual as well as ally. Adriofthedead drew the following:

tumblr_inline_mvhw5ly4ZK1qel770.png

Just a note: despite its name, WorldPride is not just for LGBT asexuals. Asexuals (and gray-As, demis etc) who don't feel part of LGBT might well want to skip the pride parade on Sunday 29 June, but come to our conference on Saturday 28 June. This conference will be organised entirely by us, the asexual community. So even if everyone else is unwelcoming (which absolutely won't be the case - I really expect an overwhelmingly positive reception based on past form*), the asexual conference will hopefully make it all worth while.

For what it's worth, I am very pro-LGBT inclusion myself; a while ago I wrote an article, with emmarainbow, defending our inclusion in LGBT (though it's now a bit dated, as it doesn't mention grays or demis iirc):

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/50489-asexuality-and-lgbt/

But again, you won't have to feel part of LGBT to come along to the asexual con. We had LGBT-skeptics at the WorldPride asexual conference in 2012; they are also quite welcome.

(*) EDIT: See also here!

Thanks, Michael!

• Like 1
Omnes et Nihil

Out out the three years that I have been at Toronto pride we have been welcomed with open arms, now that is not to say that there have been times that asexuals have not felt welcomed but I believe that the tide is changing.

For all the years we've tried to register in the Toronto Pride parade, the organisers have actually been very welcoming-- for all asexual, not just those who identify as LGBQ or T or as part of LGBTQ+ communities. (And the Dyke march does include asexuality in their information--the politics are a little complicated and Dyke march has its own separate history and mission statement even though it's officially under the Pride Toronto banner). I think a good number of the aces who marched in the past don't consider themselves LGBTor Q.

For the past couple years, we've encountered a handful of people out on the street (in the parade or watching it) who asked us why we were there or if we really exist (and lots of people asked us what "asexuality" meant-- some even wanted us to reassure them we weren't trying to make *them* stop having sex.). But aside from the first year (when it was only a couple people) I don't think any of the attendees were outwardly hostile toward us.

Most people don't recognize or understand asexual as an orientation (I didn't until I found aven recently) so the idea is to change that!!!!! What better a place.

There are straight people at pride to. Old, young, familys, kids...everyone is invited. I've always gone to pride cause its super fun and I celebrate diversity and freedom and being yourself. There are all kinds of different groups or foundations marching campaigning/ representing outside that looong name (which is forever growing).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't be able to create pamphlets or anything, but I could distribute someone else's, no problem. I'm from the United States, and would definitely have the money to go. I just discovered WorldPride, so it's still a maybe, but I'm definitely interested.

Michigan here, 5 hours drive from Toronto, sign me up and let's carpool somehow from the Midwest and share accommodations. My Facebook and other info is in my profile, thanks!

• 1 month later...

I am so interested in coming out!! I'm in waterloo Ontario, and will be going, i'm not very techie or else i'd offer up some skills, but I can be there to represent! :D :D also looking forward to meeting other aces :3

I'm getting two part-time jobs soon and school will be over, so I'm hoping that I might be able to go...what are some good hotels to stay in in Toronto and where are the main events [kind of skipped all posts after the first one]?

I'm getting two part-time jobs soon and school will be over, so I'm hoping that I might be able to go...what are some good hotels to stay in in Toronto and where are the main events [kind of skipped all posts after the first one]?

Going by the events Michael listed in the first post, the WorldPride Human Rights Conference which occurs from Wednesday, June 25 - Friday, June 27 will be held at the University of Toronto; the Trans Pride March in the evening of June 27 somewhere in downtown Toronto; the International Asexual Conference will most likely be held at Ryerson University on Saturday June 28; the Dyke March will end near Ryerson University (there will also be a group that walks from the International Asexual Conference to the place the march begins at 2 P.M. on Saturday, June 28); and the actual Pride March on Sunday, June 29 will begin at Bloor St. East and Church St. If you're interested in all of the events that will be occurring throughout WorldPride, you can take a look at the WorldPride events calendar.

As for accommodation, you can take a look at the Accommodation Masterpost which lists some websites you can use to find accommodation and other helpful information. I also listed some more websites for accommodation in this post.

Alfred_Juumonji

I'm not sure if anyone covered this yet, so I apologize if I'm repeating anything. I know that AVEN is going to be apart of the main parade (or at least, I'm pretty sure it is), but does anyone know how to take part? I'd like to march in the parade with everyone, but do I have to meet anywhere specifically? If anyone could let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm not sure if anyone covered this yet, so I apologize if I'm repeating anything. I know that AVEN is going to be apart of the main parade (or at least, I'm pretty sure it is), but does anyone know how to take part? I'd like to march in the parade with everyone, but do I have to meet anywhere specifically? If anyone could let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

There will be two asexual groups marching in the pride parade. One of them will be a local Toronto pride group and the other one will be most likely representing AVEN. We will soon release the registration form to sign up for the International Asexual Conference as well as the other events Michael listed in the first post. We'll make an announcement about that when it goes out, so you and others will know when to fill that out. If you're only interested in marching in the pride parade, there will be details given about the date, time, and location to meet a week before the actual pride parade.

Alfred_Juumonji

Thanks very much, virtua. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that.

Omnes et Nihil

There will be two asexual groups marching in the pride parade. One of them will be a local Toronto pride group and the other one will be most likely representing AVEN. We will soon release the registration form to sign up for the International Asexual Conference as well as the other events Michael listed in the first post. We'll make an announcement about that when it goes out, so you and others will know when to fill that out. If you're only interested in marching in the pride parade, there will be details given about the date, time, and location to meet a week before the actual pride parade.

For the parade itself, groups line up in the afternoon on Bloor St. near Jarvis/Ted Rogers Way. But the World Pride/Toronto Pride people don't send out the exact staging tickets until about a week in advance-- so the exact time and place are TBA (and info will be updated here when it's available in June).

If you want to march with the AVEN group (whatever it's called), stay tuned to this forum for more information.

If you want to march with the local Toronto group (e.g., if you're local and would prefer to represent local aces), you can pm me and I can put you on my e-mail list because I organise that. (I'll also be posting those details in Canada's meetup mart closer to the parade in June.)

To be clear (because some people have been confused about this):

Groups need to register to march in the parade but *individuals* do not need to register to march in the parade-- individuals just need to march with registered groups.

• 9 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked, due to necromancy.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator