NaNoWriMo 2013

The Great WTF

i havent started writing yet on top of that my "a" and "f" key are broken so it gets annoying using the on screen keyboard so i will shockingly be writng it by hand but that also so my beta reader can read it and probably edit it as i go. i know most poeple look down on editing but i see it as a chanllenge because edit usually takes away words and make you focus on what you write. i think im just going to look at the inspirations or notes ive taken in the last three years about my story and do a basic outline "just writing chapter names and a light hint as to what they are about to jog my memory and hopefully start soon

i havent started writing yet on top of that my "a" and "f" key are broken so it gets annoying using the on screen keyboard so i will shockingly be writng it by hand but that also so my beta reader can read it and probably edit it as i go. i know most poeple look down on editing but i see it as a chanllenge because edit usually takes away words and make you focus on what you write. i think im just going to look at the inspirations or notes ive taken in the last three years about my story and do a basic outline "just writing chapter names and a light hint as to what they are about to jog my memory and hopefully start soon

I don't look down on editing. I think that editing is a necessity for any sort of readable writing because without it everything would be first drafts. It is a very challenging part of being an author but an essential skill, to be able to look over your writing and to polish it. However I think that when editing gets in the way of writing is when it has to be put aside. Editing has its place and that's after the first draft has formed, although I will do light editing as I go as long as it doesn't stop me from getting words down. An imperfect something is better than a perfect nothing, after all.

I have a problem with not expanding on things so I will do edits to get out of tight spots if I catch myself saying stuff like

"He went to the store"

"He rushed to the store, worried about his mother. She was getting worse and this medicine was the only thing that could save her life"

Usually it will not only add words, but it will help me flesh out my story and allow me to throw in things that otherwise would not make sense.

Some simple editing is easy enough to do as I go. I also tend to reread my work each day when I feel done writing and edit it. Like you, Tea, I'll often end up adding words.

My first day was mostly dialogue and I may have dug myself into a weird plot hole. Oh well

I think I've landed on a plot plateau... I'd rather a plot hole, those are at least interesting to try to get out of.

there an forum on nanowrimo for that too

I think I've landed on a plot plateau... I'd rather a plot hole, those are at least interesting to try to get out of.

it took me 5 hours to write less then 200 words jjeez i hate he beginning is like trying to push a slow locomotive up a hill

I finally decided to go for this today. I'm a little late to the party, but I'm hoping I can catch up. I never finish anything, but I'm hoping this will give me motivation. Tis working so far.

I finally decided to go for this today. I'm a little late to the party, but I'm hoping I can catch up. I never finish anything, but I'm hoping this will give me motivation. Tis working so far.

I've seen many people try NaNo who say that they have never finished anything and succeed in finishing it with great success. There's nothing like the power of a deadline for motivation.

Welcome to the madness!

Yay! It's my 6th NaNo, but I haven't participated the last couple of years, so it's exciting to be writing again. I'm purplethesaurus over on NaNo. Good luck everybody!!!

Sneaky Snek 🐍

It's my first time participating in NaNo, and my novel concept isn't necessarily the most original. However, I am really looking forward to doing my best and hopefully finishing! Who knows? This novel may inspire me to write a better one in the future! My NaNo username is King Narcissus if anyone wants to add me. :)

This is my first year participating. A few friends are regular participants, so I decided to have a look. I can easily think on my feet and without much planning, so I'm already ahead of both of them... eat my dust! ^_^

Sneaky Snek 🐍

I'm doing this with a friend from here on AVEN. We aren't competing or anything, but it is nice to have someone give you a push to write more on days when you would otherwise be lazy lol. I'm afraid even still, I'm horribly behind with my word progress, but it's my first time so live and learn.

I'm another Scrivener user here. I use it for not only my writing, but also pretty much everything else (from class notes to the Model UN conference I'm attending this weekend). I used it for the first time last NaNo and have been using it ever since.

My novels now tend to top out at around 60K. I'm hoping to push for 70K this year, but we'll see.

I just barely managed to hit my word count in time today. Curses to late night writing- especially when I'm supposed to be asleep because I've got work in the morning.

Anyway, I use LibreOffice Writer. I use to use Jarte, but it's not compatible with Linux. I miss that word processor so much :(

I use Microsoft Word, but for some reason the spell check corrects everything to British English instead of American English, even though American English is selected in the Preferences menu.

I had a bad day writing yesterday because I didn't have nearly enough time to write, but today (Technically yesterday, AKA the 2nd) I managed to make up for the 1st and then some. Now I have 3512 words. ^_^ I'm writing a bunch of short stories/snippets about some characters I've had dancing in my head since January, and while it's pretty easy so far I'm worried I don't have enough ideas to make up 50k words. I've already finished one and it was only 1222 words and the other two I started probably won't be more than 2k-5k words each. I only have 9 ideas so at this rate I'm lucky if I reach 20k.

Anime Pancake

I made it to over 2000 words tonight! Yay!

I'm starting my second chapter! Oh yeah XD
So I'm averaging 1,000 words a day, since day two just ended for me. I need to push it harder, but I'm very pleased with myself!!!!!!!!
Thanks everyone for the community on this thread, and good luck! Have fun!!!!!!!!!!

Now I have 3512 words. ^_^ I'm writing a bunch of short stories/snippets about some characters I've had dancing in my head since January, and while it's pretty easy so far I'm worried I don't have enough ideas to make up 50k words. I've already finished one and it was only 1222 words and the other two I started probably won't be more than 2k-5k words each. I only have 9 ideas so at this rate I'm lucky if I reach 20k.

3500 words is great!!! Good job!!!

word count : 619
some people have already it 50000 on the site. WHAT

619 is really good!!! Yeah some people really have a lot. I don't know how some people do it XD

Hmm...

Say someone has a WPM of 50, which from a few Google searches is average-good.

They write for 16 hours straight a day, only stopping for 8 hours of sleep. No television, no jog, no friends, and no responsibilities such as work, school, or family. The day consists of 16 sets of 60 minutes adding up to 960 minutes total, meaning at their WPM they can reach 48,000 words a day. Just short of the goal.

They could have reached 50,000 in 2 days.... but I'm not buying it. I smell liars, errors, or people who didn't start from scratch this year. :P

I haven't been able to do much writing this weekend; family taking up time. :(

But now I'm going to have something to eat and then get cracking! I'm glad I did double the daily word count on the first day now, so I only need to catch up to day's target! :D

Hmm...

Say someone has a WPM of 50, which from a few Google searches is average-good.

They write for 16 hours straight a day, only stopping for 8 hours of sleep. No television, no jog, no friends, and no responsibilities such as work, school, or family. The day consists of 16 sets of 60 minutes adding up to 960 minutes total, meaning at their WPM they can reach 48,000 words a day. Just short of the goal.

They could have reached 50,000 in 2 days.... but I'm not buying it. I smell liars, errors, or people who didn't start from scratch this year. :P

As someone who has a low average typing speed of 60wpm and a high of 80wpm I say it's entire possible. I'm nearly at 30k on the third day and planning to reach 37k by tonight. It's a bit of a mental stretch (my brain feels like a well-wrung sponge) but my fingers certainly aren't what are slowing me down. If I really wanted to and had a good outline, I could probably reach 50k on the first day, although my body might not forgive me for a week afterwards. Sushimustwrite, a well known and respected overachiever, was part of 50kDay for the third time this year and charted her progress, posting it for everyone to see. I believe her. I know other people who have watched her write at insane speeds. It takes practice (she's done and won NaNo since 2002, I've been doing it since 2008) and dedication and a willingness to abandon just about everything else in your life for the day but it is possible.

Remember, NaNoWriMo is about supporting each other and cheering on each other's writing projects, not policing other people's word counts. We all do what we're capable of and learn to push our limits and some people have higher limits than others.

I'm got 7687 words so far. I'm shooting for a 10k weekend and the ability to take thanksgiving off

It would be great to have Thanksgiving off, especially if you have a lot of family around for the holiday. I'm not sure how people write with lots of people around, I would get distracted too easily...

I haven't been able to do much writing this weekend; family taking up time. :(

But now I'm going to have something to eat and then get cracking! I'm glad I did double the daily word count on the first day now, so I only need to catch up to day's target! :D

I noticed you weren't on much and hoped you weren't giving up. :) Glad to see you back and catching up!

Nope, I have no intention of giving up. :) I'm just going to go and get myself some snacks from the shop (I need my sugar fix, heh) and then it's back to writing! :D

Yeah, sugar helps keep the words coming! It's lunch time for me, I'm afraid, so I'm off to find real food instead of leftover candy bars...

I've done no writing today, as I've been busy making a birthday card. But I've just had my tea (the meal, not drink) and I'm about to start writing. I'm hoping to hit 3000 words tonight. Everyone here is doing so well! Good luck guys!

(I can't be bothered to learn to work with the alternative quote system here when I only want one, so @Tenebre who said:)

"As someone who has a low average typing speed of 60wpm and a high of 80wpm I say it's entire possible. I'm nearly at 30k on the third day and planning to reach 37k by tonight. It's a bit of a mental stretch (my brain feels like a well-wrung sponge) but my fingers certainly aren't what are slowing me down. If I really wanted to and had a good outline, I could probably reach 50k on the first day, although my body might not forgive me for a week afterwards. Sushimustwrite, a well known and respected overachiever, was part of 50kDay for the third time this year and charted her progress, posting it for everyone to see. I believe her. I know other people who have watched her write at insane speeds. It takes practice (she's done and won NaNo since 2002, I've been doing it since 2008) and dedication and a willingness to abandon just about everything else in your life for the day but it is possible.

Remember, NaNoWriMo is about supporting each other and cheering on each other's writing projects, not policing other people's word counts. We all do what we're capable of and learn to push our limits and some people have higher limits than others."

Of course, but that doesn't mean I can't question things that don't seem right or state opinions which in no way force others to act a certain way when it comes to word count. That would just lead us to a world of willful ignorance and silencing. I appreciate the additional information, however.

I quite like comparing my word counts to others. It gives me a sense of motivation. If I saw a cabin mate write a few hundred words more than me, I'd put in a little extra effort and go ahead of them. If they said, 'I aim to reach 15k by the end of the weekend', I'd consider doing the same or trying to get to, say, 18k. It was that motivation to push myself just a little bit harder rather than get distracted and do other things. And it worked, though towards the end I found it draining.

This time I'm being less competitive. I'm still looking at other people's word counts and going 'hmm, they're already at xxx figure. Well, I'll write just another 500 words' or something. But as long as I write at least 1,667 per day, regardless of how much I did the day before, then that will help me reach the goal a little sooner. Of course that also means I have some additional scope if I have a day where I can't write as much, like this weekend.

Does anyone have any particular plans for how they're writing they're novels? I usually write about 1000 in the morning, 500 at work, and additional stuff in the evening. But I'm off work for two weeks (totally didn't plan it for NaNo, honest... *nose grows.*), so I've adapted my plan. I will start writing at 9am, as if I was at work, write for half an hour, take a fifteen minute or half an hour break, and then do another half-hour of writing. Or, alternatively, write 1000 words, THEN take a break, and then write another thousand words, and then take another break. I'll see how it goes.

Of course, but that doesn't mean I can't question things that don't seem right or state opinions which in no way force others to act a certain way when it comes to word count. That would just lead us to a world of willful ignorance and silencing. I appreciate the additional information, however.

Yes, it's very important to take things with a grain of salt, especially on the internet which is so anonymous. Just as one of the people who has their wordcount doubted, I'll tell you that it hurts to have people say that there was no way that I could have honestly done something. I put a lot of energy into doing NaNoWriMo every year and to have that energy brushed away as impossible feels quite hurtful. I do, however, remember my first couple of years when I thought it wasn't possible to reach that high that fast, so I do understand where you are coming from.

I quite like comparing my word counts to others. It gives me a sense of motivation. If I saw a cabin mate write a few hundred words more than me, I'd put in a little extra effort and go ahead of them. If they said, 'I aim to reach 15k by the end of the weekend', I'd consider doing the same or trying to get to, say, 18k. It was that motivation to push myself just a little bit harder rather than get distracted and do other things. And it worked, though towards the end I found it draining.

This time I'm being less competitive. I'm still looking at other people's word counts and going 'hmm, they're already at xxx figure. Well, I'll write just another 500 words' or something. But as long as I write at least 1,667 per day, regardless of how much I did the day before, then that will help me reach the goal a little sooner. Of course that also means I have some additional scope if I have a day where I can't write as much, like this weekend.

Does anyone have any particular plans for how they're writing they're novels? I usually write about 1000 in the morning, 500 at work, and additional stuff in the evening. But I'm off work for two weeks (totally didn't plan it for NaNo, honest... *nose grows.*), so I've adapted my plan. I will start writing at 9am, as if I was at work, write for half an hour, take a fifteen minute or half an hour break, and then do another half-hour of writing. Or, alternatively, write 1000 words, THEN take a break, and then write another thousand words, and then take another break. I'll see how it goes.

I did the same thing for a long time, always aiming a bit higher than my buddies and cabin mates, especially when I knew them in real life. I've got the same competitive streak, for sure! Always had to have the highest word count and it did keep me writing more than I would have otherwise. But then I started getting to know Wrimos whose goals far surpassed mine and my abilities so I had to let go of that. I work against my personal bests now.

I... write. *laughs* I don't have much else to do right now, I'm at a transitional part of life, so my time is devoted to writing as long as I can fend off anyone who wants to give me an obligation.

I don't have a plan really. I tend to write in the evening, as I work in a school, but as long as I get at least 1700 a day I'm happy. I think I might take it to work with me though as I have an hour long bus journey that I could take advantage of. Is anyone else doing this in a notebook? Or are you all using computers right off the bat?

I'm using a computer. I often say I'll write in a notebook just to give my eyes a break from the screen, but I get bored because my handwriting speed is so much slower. Of course, when I was writing fanfiction I would often use a notebook because the initial drafts were so bad I just wanted to get them down onto paper and work on refining them afterwards. Even when I was on holiday in Disneyland Florida I was writing. My friends were off swimming in the pool, I was lounging on the poolside with a cola and my notepad and pen. A full day of just writing. It was BLISS. I want to go back to Disney just for that. XD

Archived