NaNoWriMo 2013

The Great WTF

The Great WTF

2013-Participant-Facebook-Cover.png

In honor of the launch of NaNoWriMo's new website, I'm launching the 2013 NaNoWriMo thread!

My life's all sorts of freaking crazy right now and I have no idea if I'm actually going to be able to do NaNoWriMo this year, but I'm going to try. I plan to finish the novel the novel I did for Camp NaNo earlier this year, so at least I have the benefit of already knowing where I'm headed with the story.

So, who else is going to be doing NaNoWriMo this year? What's your genre, your theme, your favorite character? Inquiring minds wants to know (and discuss.)

Writing Buddy Directory -PM me or post here to be added
The Great WTF - AlisGravoNil
Kilo - Nightmare Mirror
Recneps - Recneps
Piplup Overlord Tea - ThePinkTeacup

Grace Barton - adaravernea

Miss221B - DestinyBond

Vanatis - Hugin_Munin

Tenebre - FlatRose

Celestine - Rapidash

Dogie - Dodger Lejiona

Desert Moon - Desert.Moon
livinginnightvale - albailey

silverfirefox777

I'm thinking about trying NaNoWriMo this year but probably won't be due to exams -_-.

Genre: Not too sure, kind of supernatural.

Theme: Again, not too sure.

Favourite character: Hmm probably my main character Scott or his brother Danyael.

Barring any major disasters between now and November, I definitely plan to participate. My genre is fantasy, the kind that I wouldn't show my younger sister without cleaning off at least some of the blood. (So...dark fantasy, I suppose. Not out of any intent to write what is currently popular, but because I love fantasy and take a fairly casual approach to the inclusion of gore or disturbing scenery when the story requires it.)

My themes are the kinds of things that tend to get away from me very easily. I start out with a fairly clear idea of them, then end up with something completely different by the end. Typically a commentary on the enduring nature of hope and the necessity of sacrifice.

Favourite character, though...hm. That is a difficult call to make. The kindhearted small town doctor who happens to be the distant descendant of a harbinger of the apocalypse...the optimistic young reality warper who was literally born out of someone else's deceptive nature...the bitter, anti-heroic revolutionary who is in it for blood and adrenaline as opposed to freedom...

Nope. Can't decide. How about you, WTF?

The Great WTF

My genre for this season is going to be biblical fantasy with a touch of sci-fi. Themes are the classic 'what measure is a human?', acceptance, diversity, and evil isn't always evil.

As for my favorite character, it's kind of a two-fold thing. I have a set of siblings, Brea and Brannon, who are a literal interpretation of yin and yang. Brea's got a predispotion towards anger, violence, and has a Dexter-like bent towards using her evils for the sake of protecting the people she loves. She firmly believes in creating a world where creatures like her are no longer needed and sees her brother, Brannon, as the ideal of that world. He is kind, loving, and pacifistic to an extreme, but also completely accepting of others and even his sister's need for violence and anger.

Hell yeah! (I hope). I don't know my genre or well... anything... BUT!!! I have a title! ^^

"When He Was Short and She Was Tall" XD.

Gonna work form that.

Or maybe... maybe I'll write "When He Was Young and He Wore Silks" instead... not sure what the plot is but the title is inspirational?

Yep, I'll be writing this year too. Hopefully a kind of fantasy-adventure thing with parallel universes or something. ^_^

I don't really have much of a plot yet, tbh, but I have a month to think about that. ^_^

Yep, I'll be writing this year too. Hopefully a kind of fantasy-adventure thing with parallel universes or something. ^_^

I don't really have much of a plot yet, tbh, but I have a month to think about that. ^_^

Wonderful, another fan of parallel universes!

skymessenger

Going for it! I already had to skip the spring NaNo due to illness

I just need to think of something to write!

Grace Barton

Will I be participating in NaNoWriMo? HELL YEAH! I booked the first two weeks of November off from work especially for it! Well, actually I was told I had too much leave left and should take some, so I booked these two weeks. XD

I'm working on the same project as I did in July. I use NaNo for general writing work, rather than competitions or stuff. I had considered using that month to work on another novel that's been bubbling in my head, but I chose to focus on this one until it's done. :)

The Great WTF

I am so thankful I got part of my plot outline done over the summer because I am going to have no time for planning this month. I'm trying to get as many assignments and projects done in advance as possible so that I'll actually have some time to write in November.

The Scrabbler

I won't be participating (because my writing abilities have not improved since 3rd grade), but I look forward to reading what other people write. There's some good stuff that comes from NaNoWriMo. And some bad stuff which is even better!

I tend to use the NaNo rules as more of a guideline than an actual goal, but I find their forums to be a really helpful resource.

This year I'm planning on using NaNo as an aid to hopefully get a good chunk of my comic written. It's a project that has been brewing in my head forever, and has really taken shape in the last year or so, but I've been so busy with work I haven't had time to do much beyond plan. I'd like to get at least a few chapters of the script down. No idea what wordcount that will be though.

However, despite my best efforts, November is almost always a horribly busy month for me, so we'll see if I get anything done at all.

Grace Barton

I tend to use the NaNo rules as more of a guideline than an actual goal, but I find their forums to be a really helpful resource.

This year I'm planning on using NaNo as an aid to hopefully get a good chunk of my comic written. It's a project that has been brewing in my head forever, and has really taken shape in the last year or so, but I've been so busy with work I haven't had time to do much beyond plan. I'd like to get at least a few chapters of the script down. No idea what wordcount that will be though.

However, despite my best efforts, November is almost always a horribly busy month for me, so we'll see if I get anything done at all.

At least you can participate in the Camp NaNo's, if November's not the best month for you. I hope you manage to get something done, even if it's just a little bit. Nice to see someone working on something other than a 'novel' though! You're a NaNo Rebel! :D

I'm definitely joining in, plot or no. I do hope to find a plot and characters before October closes, though...

BlessYourFace

I'm broadening mystify plot as we talk! Last year i did a fiction/fantasy novel titled Akea and hit 50k near the 19th day! Ended with about 62/63k!

This year, my story is dystopian. Its taking a little longer to plan than normal given i have to distinguish all the rules and such, but every day has been rather successful! I don't want to talk much about it as i have had my ideas taken from me before and turned big (15 years ago i had a Rise of the Guardians plot forming that I'd talk about, then before i knew it, was watching a similar story on the silver screen...granted they did a better storyline, but still quite a blow).

I haven't done much character plotting, yet, so i don't have more than one character made up...the MC. I usually wont 'meet' them until the major stuff starts getting planned...which is hopefully soon!

Anyone feel free to add me =^^= Jen Donnelly or search for Akea.

At least you can participate in the Camp NaNo's, if November's not the best month for you. I hope you manage to get something done, even if it's just a little bit. Nice to see someone working on something other than a 'novel' though! You're a NaNo Rebel! :D

True, although summer months are not great for me as I am usually busy preparing for conventions.

As for the rebel, thing, yeah... I have written enough by now that I know NaNo is not the format for me. About 2 years ago, I made my closest attempt ever at hitting 50k -- but I started a week early (because I feel like if the words are flowing, it's stupid not to write them down). I got to 46k with a week left to go, and was so horribly burned out that not only was I not able to do those last 4k, but I was unable to do anything creative for about a month afterwards.

I tend to write in short bursts -- one week, two weeks, then I leave things alone for a bit and let the ideas percolate. This particular story has been brewing in my head for 10 years, and like I said, it's only been in the last year that things have really taken enough shape (and gone through enough revisions) that I feel like I'm getting somewhere with it.

NaNo is great as a motivator to get people writing who maybe otherwise wouldn't, but I feel like they focus a little too much on numbers, when just throwing words down isn't always the best solution. Yes, the story I wrote 46k of was the longest thing I've written... but I ended throwing basically all of it out, because it wasn't the right setting/plot/the story I wrote did not actually get to the plot. The point being-- sometimes it's ok to just let things sit and brew in your head for a long time. Every writer has a different process-- some people really just can throw things together and make something out of it. Some people meticulously plan everything and then start writing. Some people really do need to plug away and do X words every day. There are as many different processes as there are writers, and since NaNo only focuses on one, I don't know that it's always helpful.

I just got my Nano account.

I think I might do something related to law because I can go through old cases when I'm in a pickle.

I haven't got a title yet (I usually get those in the middle of writing, I just get plots first) but this seems to be something along the lines of fairy tale/real life.

Woooohoo, the 2013 site is live! As if I needed another thing to eat up my time... but of course I'm doing NaNo again. Love what you guys have going for you so far. :D For me, well... this is the first year, possibly ever, that I'm not starting with a title. It's weird. I base so much of my story off the title, it gives me tone and a basic concept! In desperation, I came up with either When Words Are Eaten By Wings (which makes no sense, but sounds really cool) or Gilding the Dead (which sounds a little darker than I expected, but I'm kind of excited to roll with it). Luckily, I do at least have the vestiges of a plot and a handful of characters and settings: an interdimensional library, a museum whose curator is a murderous raven, an exiled dryad, books made of dead souls, and something ominous trapped in the words. My favorite character is definitely Florian, but Rowan's being super adorable in my head right now and might convince me otherwise. Malachi and Mordecai intrigue me, too. c:

Anybody have exciting launch party plans? Or who goes to their local write-ins?

Grace Barton

Anybody have exciting launch party plans? Or who goes to their local write-ins?

Unfortunately there are no local write-ins near me. And I'm the only one I know who's doing it... so I can't have a launch party, either. :(

The only thing that makes me sad about doing this NaNo is that I can't actually submit it. Part of the rules is that it has to be a brand new novel, not an existing project. So I can't submit it to win and stuff, right? But oh well. A sacrifice that must be made.

Though I HAVE considered using NaNo to work on a post-apocalyptic novel idea I've been rolling over in my mind. The problem is that I know very little about post-apocalyptic and survival stories. The story is set in our world, but it's mostly frozen over due to either a nuclear or impact winter. Human life is now sparse and living in shelters, and my main character is a woman who's resolved to survive on her own, without anyone's help (for reasons currently undeveloped).

The only post-apocalyptic story I've read is The Reapers are the Angels by Aiden Bell... which is about zombies.

The Great WTF

We have a regular ML team in Vegas, so I'll be joining them for whatever they have planned for launch night. Last year the restaurant we met at had a massive internet crash, so I hope we end up somewhere with a working router this time around. Write-ins are harder to make because of my school schedule and the fact that they are often held on the other end of town.

Grace Barton

Just found out that the ML's for the area near me are planning a Kick-Off party near the end of October which I may go to... providing it falls on the weekend. I'm not hopeful since November starts on a Friday... I can't make it to that city during the week. it's an hour and a half train ride away, which is a bit far when I come out of work. They're also planning write-ins every Friday, which for the same reason I'll have to miss...

I just hope these 'parties' land at a weekend! @_@

bookworm1992

Oh gosh Im so excited for Nanowrimo. Its going to be my first year participating. I CANT WAIT! Im just worried that im going to write like 3000 words and then stop because "oh lookie there my plot is going nowhere"

I guess October is for developing your plot and characters more. November is more for just throwing anything and everything together and seeing what sticks.

So, who else is going to be doing NaNoWriMo this year? What's your genre, your theme, your favorite character? Inquiring minds wants to know (and discuss.)

Genre: Young adult fantasy

Theme: Very much mythological. Fairies, goblins, sylphs, nymphs, witches.

Favorite Character: Im not sure. Im slowly beginning to love my MC's best friend who is going to undergo her own crisis in which she must choose wether it is better to stay loyal to the MC or to abandon ship and save as many casualties as she can. But then there is this other character whom in their world (im not sre of their gender yet, i know the species itself is highly androgynous) is a member of a second class species/race. None of them can physically speak and so they were taken advantage of terribly. Still there is my MC who was just trying to get by in life, when suddenly she has to be the hero. She isnt brave, or overly smart, and she isnt all that fit either. But she cares an aweful lot about her brother and is willing to try and be those things for him.

I have so much of the backstory and the characters and their personalities planned out in my head. I just will have to keep the momentum going in November. ^_^

Grace Barton

Genre: Fantasy (possibly high fantasy)

Theme: Spiritual/loss of gods.

Favorite Character: Zak, without a doubt. He's not the main focal point of the story but he is one of the main three characters. He is so easy and fun to write for, as is his best friend, who makes it his purpose to tease and annoy him, whilst still being lovable at the same time. His favourite game is to tease Zak by telling him he fancies him. Zak (and I) have yet to decide whether he is just joking or is actually serious. It's hard to work out, and I designed him! It also wasn't intentional. It was just written as teasing and then, as I wrote it more, I started to wonder whether or not he was actually hinting to his true feelings. Perhaps I will learn the answer as I write more. @_@

Huuuuuueeee?
It's already time for NaNoWriMo again? *flails* D:
Hopefully I'll be able to scrape together something decent. ;-;

Genre: I tend to write in sci-fi/fantasy.

Theme: ...I WAS NOT PREPARED.

Favorite Character: My OC Alethea. She's a character (who is in a land technically based on historical Russia) who was bio-engineered to be a spy. She can see the intentions of other people in terms of colors, though she cannot read minds. Her father was enslaved and her mother murdered, as were her adoptive parents and siblings, after they tried to free her from a career in warfare. She gets migraines which interfere with her sight and suffers selective mutism.

EDIT:
I thought people might think it was interesting, so. ^_^ Alethea is a name meaning "truth" in Greek (originally, in more symbol-y characters: aletheia).

Genre: Fantasy Kitchen Sink -- the overall setting is definitely magic, with all kinds of mythological creatures, but there are various regions with different themes; a large section of the story takes place in a heavily steampunk-inspired setting, and there will also be a fair number of robots/cyborgs and demons and such.

Theme: Unintended consequences? I'm terrible at themes.

Favorite Character: There is a tiny warrior bird-woman named Kekipi who is not even all that important to the plot, but she's one of the most entertaining characters I've created.

Alphaprocess

I suspect my current novel-in-progress will be finished well inside another 50,000 words -- more like 30,000 in fact as it's already 65,000 and is heading towards its denoument. Although how I deal with the mindfuck I've got it into at present is another matter. What appears to be time travel but may be something else (without the 'it isn't time travel it's a parallel world, oh wait a minute' that "Timeline" goes in for); an architect who has barricaded herself in her flat so that the spirit of an ancient Egyptian mystic can zero in on her (which flats happen to be built over a place of power, as if you hadn't guessed); and an undying sorcerer ridden by a demon so old it's now completely batshit insane ....

The Great WTF

Last year we had a directory of everyone's AVEN names and their pennames on NaNoWriMo. Shall I put another one on the top post in this thread?

Sure, that sounds like an awesome idea! (I'm Nightmare Mirror. From the Katzenjammer song, not the Yu-Gi-Oh! card.)

Archived