Asexual Bookshelf

Wallach IX

DerkhanBlue

Though I haven't yet read the final book, Acatl, the protagonist of the Obsidian & Blood trilogy by Aliette de Bodard, comes across very much as asexual [and possibly aromantic]. While he's bound to be celibate due to being a priest, he also clearly states that apart from regretting that he can not have children, he really does not care about any of this and reading his 'Duh, people, do you have nothing else on your mind?!' mental rants is rather hilarious.

The trilogy consists of Servant of the Underworld, Harbringer of the Storm and Master of the House of Darts and is best decribed as urban fantasy in the Aztec Empire.

• 1 month later...
green pumpkin

Has anyone here read Gwendoline Riley's books? ... they are supposed to be fiction but firmly based on her personal life. I bring this up because reading her most recent book , Opposed Positions, I had a distinct feeling that she would fit just right in this forum ... she has male friends and the occasional boyfriend but rarely any sex activity, she describes herself as a recluse, at one point goes to a party and talks about "reaching her limit"as in needing to get out of there, also the misunderstanding with her parents who constantly told her to smile more while being unable to connect with their daughter feeling constantly afraid ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can't remember her name off the top of my head, but the elven smith in Eragon, the woman who makes him his sword? Think it begins with an 'R'. And nah, sorry, much as Vetinari strikes me as ace and much as I would adore him to be so, there're all those little murmurs about Lady Margolotta, aren't there? It's really hard to tell, though, with Pratchett, because he spends so little time on romance. Maybe Glenda from Unseen Academicals, despite the romance novels?

• 1 month later...

These are dated, but the old pulp action hero Doc Savage was asexual. It was stated early that women would not be a part of his life. He does travel around the world with a bunch of male companions, but they are merely helping him on his mission.

• 3 months later...
GamerStacey

Hopefully one day one of my books will make it onto this list! I have an asexual character in the book I'm working on now(he happens to be a sadistic bad guy, but that's just a coincidence...), and I plan on introducing an asexual main character in some later series. Once I finish my current series, of course! ^-^

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I personally think that Raye in Sailor Moon is asexual, or on the Ace spectrum. Note that this refers ONLY the the manga, NOT the anime. She makes a comment in book 8 or 9 where she wonders why everyone seems to want a boyfriend, and what's so special about having one. Note, she's also celibate, but maybe she could be both?

Can't remember her name off the top of my head, but the elven smith in Eragon, the woman who makes him his sword? Think it begins with an 'R'. And nah, sorry, much as Vetinari strikes me as ace and much as I would adore him to be so, there're all those little murmurs about Lady Margolotta, aren't there? It's really hard to tell, though, with Pratchett, because he spends so little time on romance. Maybe Glenda from Unseen Academicals, despite the romance novels?

Rhunon?

Self-serving post, yes, but I've got an important addition to the list: My nonfiction book, The Invisible Orientation (Skyhorse Publishing/Carrel Books, September 2014).

http://www.amazon.com/The-Invisible-Orientation-Introduction-Asexuality/dp/1631440020/

---

What if you weren’t sexually attracted to anyone?

A growing number of people are identifying as asexual. They aren’t sexually attracted to anyone, and they consider it a sexual orientation—like gay, straight, or bisexual.

Asexuality is the invisible orientation. Most people believe that “everyone” wants sex, that “everyone” understands what it means to be attracted to other people, and that “everyone” wants to date and mate. But that’s where asexual people are left out—they don’t find other people sexually attractive, and if and when they say so, they are very rarely treated as though that’s okay.

When an asexual person comes out, alarming reactions regularly follow; loved ones fear that an asexual person is sick, or psychologically warped, or suffering from abuse. Critics confront asexual people with accusations of following a fad, hiding homosexuality, or making excuses for romantic failures. And all of this contributes to a discouraging master narrative: there is no such thing as “asexual.” Being an asexual person is a lie or an illness, and it needs to be fixed.

In The Invisible Orientation, Julie Sondra Decker outlines what asexuality is, counters misconceptions, provides resources, and puts asexual people’s experiences in context as they move through a very sexualized world. It includes information for asexual people to help understand their orientation and what it means for their relationships, as well as tips and facts for those who want to understand their asexual friends and loved ones.

:) :) :)

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Self-serving post, yes, but I've got an important addition to the list: My nonfiction book, The Invisible Orientation (Skyhorse Publishing/Carrel Books, September 2014).

http://www.amazon.com/The-Invisible-Orientation-Introduction-Asexuality/dp/1631440020/

---

What if you weren’t sexually attracted to anyone?

A growing number of people are identifying as asexual. They aren’t sexually attracted to anyone, and they consider it a sexual orientation—like gay, straight, or bisexual.

Asexuality is the invisible orientation. Most people believe that “everyone” wants sex, that “everyone” understands what it means to be attracted to other people, and that “everyone” wants to date and mate. But that’s where asexual people are left out—they don’t find other people sexually attractive, and if and when they say so, they are very rarely treated as though that’s okay.

When an asexual person comes out, alarming reactions regularly follow; loved ones fear that an asexual person is sick, or psychologically warped, or suffering from abuse. Critics confront asexual people with accusations of following a fad, hiding homosexuality, or making excuses for romantic failures. And all of this contributes to a discouraging master narrative: there is no such thing as “asexual.” Being an asexual person is a lie or an illness, and it needs to be fixed.

In The Invisible Orientation, Julie Sondra Decker outlines what asexuality is, counters misconceptions, provides resources, and puts asexual people’s experiences in context as they move through a very sexualized world. It includes information for asexual people to help understand their orientation and what it means for their relationships, as well as tips and facts for those who want to understand their asexual friends and loved ones.

:) :) :)

I so want to read it :'O but it's not on amazon UK yet... :(

The Kreutzer Sonata by Leo Tolstoi

• 1 month later...

Thank you for posting this! I have been looking for some asexual related books to read, I will definitely add some of these to my summer reading list. :)

TheWalkingEevee

I'd like to recommend a book for this list too:What Happened to Lani Garver by Carol Plum-Ucci. The titular character may be androgyne aro-ace ( they never really seem to have an interest beyond friendship) , and they (as the character) don't really identify or specify as any gender.

Caution: I usually hesitate to recommend this book because it deals a lot with some really heavy subjects ( homophobia, bullying,sexism, and eating disorders among other things) in a pretty heavy way in comparison with a lot of YA fiction.

fantasy & sci-fi:

Fool's Errand, Golden Fool, Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb (Amber/Lord Golden)

---

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed. smile.gif

*points to sig*

Ah! I adore that quote! I remember the first time I read that part of the book and thinking how eloquently that explained the difference between sexual and romantic attraction :)

I've always considered Ford Prefect in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy book series to be asexual- he's not technically human but maybe close enough to make it on to the SciFi list?

• 2 weeks later...
corduroyjackalope

In the book Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Dexter is asexual. He says sex was never even a thought. I don't know about the other books or how close the show follows them, but in that book he's ace.

• 2 weeks later...
FOXracingfan

The 'Escape From Furnace' series by Alexander Gordon Smith doesn't have any romance (well, a little in the last two books but it's between a couple side characters and it's only mentioned they like each other a couple times). It's a young adult horror series.

The Books:

Lockdown

Solitary

Death Sentence

Fugitives

Execution

• 2 weeks later...
Carmilla DeWinter

Dunno if this is the place here, but I did write a slashy fantasy novel (in German, alas) where the third most important character is ace/aro.

Carmilla DeWinter: Albenbrut: Ein Bindender Eid (Book 1 of 2, second part due in June)

• 3 weeks later...
kiaroskuro

I didn't even know that the talented Ms Riley was supposed to have a new book coming out*, that's really good news! I loved her first two novels, but 'Joshua Spassky' was a bit of a disappointment. I don't know whether to give her new book a chance (I have a feeling it's similar to JS), but your comment was quite intriguing, green pumpkin.

she has male friends and the occasional boyfriend but rarely any sex activity, she describes herself as a recluse, at one point goes to a party and talks about "reaching her limit"as in needing to get out of there, also the misunderstanding with her parents who constantly told her to smile more while being unable to connect with their daughter feeling constantly afraid

Were you talking about the novel's protagonist here?

*Oh wait, that was quite an old post, so I suppose it's not that much of a brandnew release, after all ...

• 2 weeks later...
controlled_abandon

I just read The Tropic of Serpents (by Marie Brennan) and it has an asexual character! Early on in the story she tells the main character that she isn't interested in marrying a man for... intimate companionship. Later on, she says that she's sometimes wondered if she was interested in women instead, but has determined that that's not the case.

The book is the sequel to A Natural History of Dragons. The asexual character is new in the second book. They're sort of fantasy -- no actual magic, but it's a made up Victorian-era world.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone here doesn't mind poetry, there's this really good one "No Platonic Love," by William Cartwright. Always makes me laugh ^_^

It was mentioned briefly before but there is The Heart of Aces anthology that was released a couple years ago. It's a collection of romance stories featuring asexual. I've seen mixed reviews, although overall I don't think many people have read it.

(Also, one of my stories is published in it, though I mostly don't care what people think of it/the book in general - I'd just be happy to see people reading it or giving feedback, haha)

• 1 month later...
Mademoiselle Pink

Randomly came upon this eBook today: Wings of Destruction by Victoria Zagar

It's not to be released for a few weeks (October 14th) but the main character is asexual! They have a tag for "asexual" on their site (for now that's the only book in it but) I'm hoping there'll be more to come~

• 2 weeks later...

This is an absolutely brilliant book, thanks for writing it. I'm now able to answer a lot of questions I have been asking about myself. Also a lot of the asexual jargon is explained in a manner which is easy for those older than college age to understand. Big :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: for your hard work

• 2 weeks later...
That asexual guy

Was reading the crime novel The Son by Jo Nesbo and was completely surprised when I read this (he's a bad guy unfortunately)

"And it struck him that this was the closest he would ever come to the sexual ecstasy which people spoke about, a union which for him was only associated with mild discomfort and an embarrassing attempt at coming across as a so-called normal person. He had read somewhere that one individual in every hundred was asexual. It made him an exception. But it didnt make him abnormal. On the contrary, he could concentrate on what really mattered, build his life, his reputation, enjoy the respect and fear of others without any distractions and the loss of energy that came from the sexual addiction other people were slaves to. Surely that was rational and consequently normal?"

I started reading Elizabeth Bear's Jacob's Ladder trilogy the other day, and lo and behond, one of the main characters is asexual. Most definitely so, too, let me look for the quote..

And then Perceval slid her hand around, pressed her fingertips to Rien's chest beneath her collarbone, and gently levered her away. "No," she said, softly. "Rien, I'm sorry. I'm fallow. Asexed. I don't want this."

"You're female." Not like Head*, Rien meant to say. [...]

She had kissed Rien back. And so Rien leaned down, as if she would kiss Perceval again, because she hurt so, and was so lonely, and because she loved Perceval as she had not known that she could love. And was stopped by no more than the pressure of Perceval's hand.

"Being male or female has nothing to do with desire."

"You don't want me."

"I don't want anyone," Perceval said. [...]

* Head, btw, is a genderless character. There's also one that's both male and female at once.

It IS sci-fi, with angels, IN SPACE. I possibly like the first book for all the wrong reasons so far :P

• 2 months later...

I hope no one has written this before, if so, I apologize for being repetitive, but there are two stories that always made me wonder:

Forbidden Colors, by Yukio Mishima: I think it's safe to say that Yuichi is gay and enjoys sex and romantic relationships with men; but I always wondered about Shunsuke... he obviously does not like women in any respect, and his relationship with the only man he is even truly interested in - Yuichi - is platonic, so... I wonder. Has anyone read the book? Questions of sexual orientation aside, it's a fascinating read.

and

Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novels, and the relationship of Regis and Danilo. I know that there's this one rather explicit short story ("The Shadow", I believe?) that has them sharing a bed, but other than that... it always seemed to me more of a very deep, very loving relationship, with Dani literally dedicating his whole life to Regis, but without them actually being a couple in the "classic" sense. I loved their story, still do.

Okay, and I probably just outed myself as a crazy bibliophile, but oh well... there's no use hiding it, right? ;)

Forbidden Colors, by Yukio Mishima: I think it's safe to say that Yuichi is gay and enjoys sex and romantic relationships with men; but I always wondered about Shunsuke... he obviously does not like women in any respect, and his relationship with the only man he is even truly interested in - Yuichi - is platonic, so... I wonder. Has anyone read the book? Questions of sexual orientation aside, it's a fascinating read.

I've read The Sailor That Fell From Grace With The Sea by Mishima, but none of his other works. I really enjoyed Sailor, so perhaps this will be the next one on my list :D

Archived