#AsexualProblems

On 1/23/2021 at 9:25 PM, Cowgirl_Kat said:

I should have realized I was asexual when duringĀ an ice breaker at a conference (What'sĀ your celebrity crush) it took me a foreverĀ to come up with one.Ā I just went with Leonardo DiCaprio, becauseĀ The Great Gatsby and most people think he's hot, I guess. šŸ˜†Ā 

Thatā€™s quite a strange icebreaker.

I have an easy answer but that would just be a bit awkward to be asked at all.

One of my teachers once joked that one male classmateĀ was popular with the ladies inĀ class.

It's because most girls just happened to vote for his posterĀ for the class project.

Besides me and threeĀ other people, our class consists of only girls. All of us are also not teens anymore.Ā 

None of the students thought it wasĀ funny.Ā It was rather uncomfortable and gross.Ā (The teacher laughed at her own joke though.)

People who KNOW Iā€™m ace/aroaceĀ and stillĀ askĀ me if I have a crush and ā€œare there any boys???ā€. No? Thereā€™s not? And I have many other achievements in life other than the possibility of male attention?

Ā 

On 1/24/2021 at 9:30 PM, cogpsyche said:

people assuming we're sleeping together because we're emotionally intimate etc

I relate to that. All the prioritisation of romance and sex means that strong friendships are seen as an anomaly or a stepping stone to ā€˜adultā€™ relationships at which pointĀ obviously youā€™ll get all your emotional intimacy from whoever you have sex with. Itā€™s a massive bugbear for me. I just want to have friends.

• Like 2

When you and your best friend, who so happens to be the opposite sex, are affectionate and playful towards each other and everyone assumes you two are dating ...

Ā 

I'm sorry, what??? o.O

• Like 2
ExodusPrime2126
On 9/20/2013 at 10:55 PM, ThePaperRose said:

Yeah I've learned to stop asking things....

I couldnā€™t agree more

On 1/30/2021 at 2:23 PM, LesbiVoid said:

ā€œI consider myself asexualā€

Ā 

ā€Oh, so you mean sapiosexual?ā€

I don't... what? How did they get from ace... to sapio...? Wishful thinking?

On 1/30/2021 at 5:23 PM, LesbiVoid said:

ā€œI consider myself asexualā€

Ā 

ā€Oh, so you mean sapiosexual?ā€

"I consider myself this thing"

Ā 

"Oh, so you mean this thing that is entirely different from what you said"

MakeupJunkie4
39 minutes ago, Moon Spirit ā˜½ said:

"I consider myself this thing"

Ā 

"Oh, so you mean this thing that is entirely different from what you said"

yeah I've had this convo with a complete stranger. "Oh - that's celibacy" SMH

On 2/3/2021 at 9:29 PM, MakeupJunkie4 said:

yeah I've had this convo with a complete stranger. "Oh - that's celibacy" SMH

Don't forget this gem: "You're just an incel."

• Like 5
On 1/29/2021 at 9:19 PM, cakeandcats said:

All the prioritisation of romance and sex means that strong friendships are seen as an anomaly or a stepping stone to ā€˜adultā€™ relationships at which pointĀ obviously youā€™ll get all your emotional intimacy from whoever you have sex with. Itā€™s a massive bugbear for me. I just want to have friends.

Yes! This! It makes me so sad people think others can only be emotionally close with their romanticĀ partner! Especially, since yes, what I want from my friendships is definitely the emotional closeness and understanding. Why would I only want to know people superficially? The amount of times one of my best friends and I have gotten the "couple treatment" while shopping when it's just the two of us, just because *gasp* he's male and I'm female! There can't be any other reason for these two people of same age group be seen together than that they must be romantically involved! Literally, just, SEEN together, too??? At first it was annoying and sometimes made us feel awkward with each other which was the worst, but nowadays we're used to it and usually just laugh about it šŸ˜… Not to mention, when my parents first learnedĀ that I got along with him, it took like half a year for them to stop asking where we "stand" and throwing around those knowing smiles šŸ™„

• Like 6

Sister gets embaressed of sex scenes when I'm sitting there like "I got no say on this!"

Ā 

#AsexualProblems

One of my high school teachers seriously thought I was massively promiscuous because my main friend group was males. I still laugh about that, because most everyone else absolutely knew nothing was happening.

Ā 

Also, I love the classic: "You will probably like it when you try it."

I mean, yeah. IĀ have a functional nervous system. That's also not what being asexual means....

• Like 9

When you hear ads say stuff like 'Sex is an essential part of a healthy relationship' and you just want to scream a little because A) No, no it's not; and B) I don't even know what I expected but I certainly hoped for someone who's supposed to be setting couples up to think past sex.

• Like 8

Making dirty jokes, only to be be told that an asexual person wouldn't make those kids of jokes. UmĀ I learned them from this sexual society. I still don't have any interest in physical intimacy. Stop making it weird, it's a joke. #asexualproblems

• Like 6
Ash_AnimeAndCatFan
On 9/21/2013 at 9:39 AM, KillerDarling said:

Having to come up with some sort of answer for your friend's questions of "So what did you think of him? Did you LIKE him?" after meeting a new guy. I've known him for 2 seconds & we talked about the weather--how should I have an opinion already?! #asexualproblems

I know! Right! My mom does this! My Aunt does this! My cousins do this! Even my friends do this and i just dont get it! how do you see someone and think, oh yes, date?

• Like 4
On 1/23/2021 at 2:25 PM, Cowgirl_Kat said:

I should have realized I was asexual when duringĀ an ice breaker at a conference (What'sĀ your celebrity crush) it took me a foreverĀ to come up with one.Ā I just went with Leonardo DiCaprio, becauseĀ The Great Gatsby and most people think he's hot, I guess. šŸ˜†Ā 

Oh, Lordy I had a hard time with this question as a teenager. Even as an adult! On one of our first dates, my husband asked about my celebrity crush and I said, "I don't know... I kinda like that guy who played Obi-Wan Kenobi in the new Star Wars movie?" (Ewan McGregor).
He was literally the last film I'd seen in the theater so the first person I could think of.Ā 
Ā 

That should have been a hint to me as well, I suppose. WHen the only male 'celebrity' I could think of was 'that dude from Star wars?'

Ā 

14 hours ago, MoonSedai said:

WHen the only male 'celebrity' I could think of was 'that dude from Star wars?'

I mean.... a lot of people would agree with you there no matter what šŸ˜› (or at least, I would, given that he's pretty much been my no. 1 "celeb crush" for the past 16 years šŸ˜‚)Ā 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SpaceDustbin said:

I mean.... a lot of people would agree with you there no matter what šŸ˜› (or at least, I would, given that he's pretty much been my no. 1 "celeb crush" for the past 16 years šŸ˜‚)Ā 

I'll admit, he's not hard to look at!Ā 

• Like 1

ā€œI canā€™t wait to have my little grandkids come over and playā€

ā€Yeah, youā€™ll be waiting foreverā€

ā€œI wonder what my future husband looks like right now.ā€

ā€Me tooā€

ā€œOh, really?ā€

ā€Yes, Iā€™m also wondering what your future husband looks like now.ā€

Ā 

When everyone youĀ know has this constantĀ knowledge of their life plan, to get married andĀ have kids, and they think everyone shares their common, basic life plans, so wondering or asking others about their specifics is normal, and you have to brush off the assumptions and stay inconspicuously asexual. #asexualproblems

• Like 6

The complete lack of asexual characters on TV or in books. I don't want to be that person who mentally labels everyone without a relationship as ace BUT I'm so desperate for some good mainstream representation that I do anyway. My friend, who is lovely and seems fairly ok with me being ace, was suggesting that this character in a book we both like is ace (he's probablyĀ not because I found on wikipedia that he gets married and has kids) and he's the irritating stereotype of someone ace--scientific and socially awkward and badly dressed. Just like Sheldon Cooper and Sherlock Holmes and all the other characters pulled out whenever anyone says there's no ace representation. I don't want someone who is just too interested in science to be interested in sex, I want someone asexual!!! It kind of upset me that she would buy into that stereotype, but I also know that it's so common.

Ā 

Florence in Sex Education made me cry, and she was only in it for half an episode. Just having an ace character who is not a stereotype was amazing. I guess that shows how starved I am for ace representation!

• Like 6
a little annihilation

Mom about my depression: aren't you looking forward to anything? Sex? #asexualproblems

• Like 1
On 2/25/2021 at 9:01 AM, cakeandcats said:

The complete lack of asexual characters on TV or in books. I don't want to be that person who mentally labels everyone without a relationship as ace BUT I'm so desperate for some good mainstream representation that I do anyway. My friend, who is lovely and seems fairly ok with me being ace, was suggesting that this character in a book we both like is ace (he's probablyĀ not because I found on wikipedia that he gets married and has kids) and he's the irritating stereotype of someone ace--scientific and socially awkward and badly dressed. Just like Sheldon Cooper and Sherlock Holmes and all the other characters pulled out whenever anyone says there's no ace representation. I don't want someone who is just too interested in science to be interested in sex, I want someone asexual!!! It kind of upset me that she would buy into that stereotype, but I also know that it's so common.

Ā 

Florence in Sex Education made me cry, and she was only in it for half an episode. Just having an ace character who is not a stereotype was amazing. I guess that shows how starved I am for ace representation!

Well, there is Todd from Bojack Horseman- from what I know, he has a pretty good character arc.

Ā 

Also, there's Parvati in Outer Worlds (a game, btw) who is just great.

Ā 

I do like to think of Molly from MIB: International as being aro/ace because every time she's asked about it her response is basically "lolno", and I interpreted it as her just defaulting to it as a convenient excuse so that she doesn't have to go into a full lesson about her lack of interest

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Bronztrooper said:

Well, there is Todd from Bojack Horseman- from what I know, he has a pretty good character arc.

Ā 

Also, there's Parvati in Outer Worlds (a game, btw) who is just great.

Ā 

I do like to think of Molly from MIB: International as being aro/ace because every time she's asked about it her response is basically "lolno", and I interpreted it as her just defaulting to it as a convenient excuse so that she doesn't have to go into a full lesson about her lack of interest

I know thereā€™s a few but so few that most people still donā€™t really know what aroace/ace is and think that Sheldon is a valid representation. I just want to come across characters in all the really mainstream programmes and it be completely normal.

Iā€™d like to watch MIB though and relate to Molly!

Marianna_Esc

-Not clicking on any Netflix series that has a TV-MA rating.

-Hearing people talk about milkshakes and saying "I love milkshakes" and having people laugh at you because they weren't talking about ACTUAL milkshakes.

-Rolling my eyes at sexual innuendo and sex jokes.

-Listening to people talking about 'hot'Ā celebs, seeing a picture of them, and feeling completely neutral.

-Wanting kids, but not wanting to actually 'do the deed' to have them.

-Not knowing how to explain it when people ask why I'm not married nor in a relationship.

-Not wanting to be alone, but not finding the right partner with whom I can connect emotionally and who would be okay with not having sex.

• Like 4

Whenever my little sister mentions growing up and having kids or if my mom says something about grandkids and wanting to see her kids get married Iā€™m just like..... no thanks.Ā 
First of all, I donā€™t want biological kids (I would maybe consider adoption), and secondly they assume I would want a husband even though Iā€™ve come out to my family as bi.Ā