#AsexualProblems

Fantastic Name
10 minutes ago, Feys&Florets said:

While watching videos, I get, of all things, a condom ad.

"Look at this fella. Handsome, charming, and has undetected STD. Get protection."

Me: ".....Google, aren't you supposed to tailor ads to me? Since WHEN do you think I'll get in bed with mister handsome charming? You couldn't pick a more irrelevant ad for me."

So I went on Google to add/remove add topics.

"Uuh...disclude 'sex'? Nope, doesn't recognize it. 'Intercou-' doesn't recognize it either. Hm. Condoms! Oh jeez, doesn't recognize it either.."

And this is why I turned off targeted ads. :P

• Like 2
nerdperson777
4 hours ago, Feys&Florets said:

While watching videos, I get, of all things, a condom ad.

"Look at this fella. Handsome, charming, and has undetected STD. Get protection."

Me: ".....Google, aren't you supposed to tailor ads to me? Since WHEN do you think I'll get in bed with mister handsome charming? You couldn't pick a more irrelevant ad for me."

So I went on Google to add/remove add topics.

"Uuh...disclude 'sex'? Nope, doesn't recognize it. 'Intercou-' doesn't recognize it either. Hm. Condoms! Oh jeez, doesn't recognize it either.."

Once in my friend's car, she had Spotify on with the windows open.  Then a condom ad played.  Okay, you just played a condom ad loudly with the windows down.

• Like 3
On 1/24/2018 at 1:03 PM, WoodwindWhistler said:

Maybe you should get a few T-shirts with this on it. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=mistaken+as+flirting+meme&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS708US709&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxt5i-v_HYAhUB0FMKHZemDwYQ_AUICigB&biw=1093&bih=509#imgrc=_

You couldn't wear it *every* day, but it would work for people you see regularly (and on days you had it). Or you could talk about the meme often. :P

I have a tank top that says "Just because I flirt doesn't mean I'm interested." ^_^

• Like 9

People constantly throwing Science 'facts' at me - spiritual 'facts' - religious 'facts' - whenever I say I'm Asexual...

WHY DO I ATTRACT THESE PEOPLE?!?

Oh, right maybe I'm not Asexual... Yeah that thought totally doesn't cause me stress and anxiety, because maybe I am in fact asexual and just want to be accepted- no respected for who I am, and my comfort bubble... That's built of words and terms that make me feel comfortable and less alienated...

YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME!

Yep - I'm good... But people annoy me sometimes...

• Like 5
WoodwindWhistler
On 1/28/2018 at 4:23 AM, ThatHuman said:

People constantly throwing Science 'facts' at me - spiritual 'facts' - religious 'facts' - whenever I say I'm Asexual...

Science fact: asexuality INCREASES a species' reproductive success: http://koryos.tumblr.com/post/55022432802/all-right-guys-here-it-is-the-big-gay-animal-sex

See also: my post about the grandmother hypothesis and responsive desire. 

Religious fact: Jesus was at the very least celibate (and said that if you even thought of a woman you were not married to, you had committed sin). St. Paul said something to the effect of, it was "best to devote your life only to God" and only get married if you ABSOLUTELY must. Often referred to as "The Gift of Singleness." 

• Like 6
WoodwindWhistler
On 1/27/2018 at 3:54 PM, Vala said:

I have a tank top that says "Just because I flirt doesn't mean I'm interested." ^_^

How would you like to be a sexual or romo person and have someone play with your feelings? That's not very kind. 

• Like 4
23 hours ago, WoodwindWhistler said:

How would you like to be a sexual or romo person and have someone play with your feelings? That's not very kind. 

Flirting can just be a harmless joke though, it doesn't always have to be about trying to attract someone, or signalling attraction. 

• Like 4

I was watching a comedy spoof of a song I liked. And in the spoof, they casually mentioned that the song sounded sexual.

"...I can never listen to that song the same way ever again..."

Why is everything sexified!?!!

• Like 6
9 hours ago, Deb. said:

Flirting can just be a harmless joke though, it doesn't always have to be about trying to attract someone, or signalling attraction. 

It can be extremely hurtful if everyone isn't in on the joke. More like a malicious prank if anything.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Soraiko said:

It can be extremely hurtful if everyone isn't in on the joke. More like a malicious prank if anything.

I had boys bully me by making me think they liked me. Not that I wanted to date the boy but I liked being seen as special and actually wanted to be fiends with him. It was a really bad prank and it made me feel worthless because he thought I was stupid enough to believe him. 

It it can be funny but make sure it wayyy obvious...

• Like 2
Tyger Songbird

You know what I tend to not like really? When people don't mind their own business! I don't know why people just love to make you or try to fix you up in some way with somebody just because they feel uncomfortable with somebody being single & asexual. I don't get why people have such an internal need to sexualize you as if they don't know how to treat someone without sex being in the equation. What is with the incessant need to have people be sexual, and what is with people being uncomfortable with "nonsexual" activity? 

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

"No"

"Well, you should get one! You don't want to be single and all alone, do ya? Gasp, I know someone who's also single! Maybe I could get you two together so you won't have to be!"

The next time someone tries to hook me up with someone or try to prod me into dating might get a fist to their arm. I'm not kidding. I do not want to get fixed up with anybody. I want to be single, because I like being asexual and solo. I don't want to be changed, so don't try to "fix me". I'm not broken. What's with people feeling like that if you're not a relationship, then you are must be miserable? Why is being aromantic and asexual deemed miserable for some reason?

• Like 10
1 hour ago, tygersongbird said:

You know what I tend to not like really? When people don't mind their own business! I don't know why people just love to make you or try to fix you up in some way with somebody just because they feel uncomfortable with somebody being single & asexual. I don't get why people have such an internal need to sexualize you as if they don't know how to treat someone without sex being in the equation. What is with the incessant need to have people be sexual, and what is with people being uncomfortable with "nonsexual" activity? 

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

"No"

"Well, you should get one! You don't want to be single and all alone, do ya? Gasp, I know someone who's also single! Maybe I could get you two together so you won't have to be!"

The next time someone tries to hook me up with someone or try to prod me into dating might get a fist to their arm. I'm not kidding. I do not want to get fixed up with anybody. I want to be single, because I like being asexual and solo. I don't want to be changed, so don't try to "fix me". I'm not broken. What's with people feeling like that if you're not a relationship, then you are must be miserable? Why is being aromantic and asexual deemed miserable for some reason?

Omg, I feel this so hard. I'm currently in the process of buying a house with my sister, who is married with a kid and wanting at least one more. All of us who are involved understand that I have no intention of marrying or moving out on my own (it's been said that it probably wouldn't be good for me socially since if I lived on my own, I would never leave the house except for work), but every time I tell someone else about it, they invariable bring up "what if you meet someone? What if you want to get married? If you guys have a house, that's kind of long term, don't you think renting might be better, in case you want to move out?"

• Like 2
Tyger Songbird
54 minutes ago, babygyrl09 said:

Omg, I feel this so hard. I'm currently in the process of buying a house with my sister, who is married with a kid and wanting at least one more. All of us who are involved understand that I have no intention of marrying or moving out on my own (it's been said that it probably wouldn't be good for me socially since if I lived on my own, I would never leave the house except for work), but every time I tell someone else about it, they invariable bring up "what if you meet someone? What if you want to get married? If you guys have a house, that's kind of long term, don't you think renting might be better, in case you want to move out?"

Yeah, people seem to have these expectations that you have to get married or something. I've had people ask me "Well, hey, man, what about finding some awesome person?don't you want to find someone to share your life with? You know, you aren't getting any younger! Do you want to die all alone by yourself?"

As if that's the worst thing in the world. I don't feel sad over being alone. I'd rather be alone than be around people who don't understand me. I guess that's why I tend to stay at home on Friday nights, and not go out to bars to drink when I'm not a drinker. Hmm. Being alone. I don't think that's such a bad idea.

Plus, have you seen 48 hours? Most of the murders are by your husband or wife. It seems like marriage is a contract signed up to marry the 1st person most likely to kill you. If you don't believe me, watch Snapped. Almost every time you know that wife did it. I'm supposed to sign up for this?

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Soraiko said:

13 hours ago, :)(: said:

I had boys bully me by making me think they liked me. Not that I wanted to date the boy but I liked being seen as special and actually wanted to be fiends with him. It was a really bad prank and it made me feel worthless because he thought I was stupid enough to believe him. 

It it can be funny but make sure it wayyy obvious...

It sucks when people are mean. It also sucks to be accused of being cruel because I showed a playful attitude and enthusiasm for something in the presence of a straight single guy. So when you say that flirting without serious intentions is bad, be mindful of what is called "flirting" when it's really not, and how that impacts a lot of mixed gender interaction on a daily basis.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

It sucks when people are mean. It also sucks to be accused of being cruel because I showed a playful attitude and enthusiasm for something in the presence of a straight single guy. So when you say that flirting without serious intentions is bad, be mindful of what is called "flirting" when it's really not, and how that impacts a lot of mixed gender interaction on a daily basis.

If smiling and not being a stone-cold bitch is considered flirting, then yeah, I guess I'm guilty. Of course, I also intentionally flirt with my friends who know I'm ace cause it's all innocent fun and it makes me feel good about myself.

• Like 3
WoodwindWhistler
11 hours ago, babygyrl09 said:

Renting is a total waste of money. It doesn't build up any value for you, just goes in someone else's pocket. If you decide you want to move out, you can sell a house, mortgage and all. And if in this particular situation you are worried about the finances, you could work something out with your sister, I'm sure, since she sounds awesome and understanding. 

That's aside from the nosiness- so what if you change your mind?? That's none of their business anyway. 

11 hours ago, tygersongbird said:

Do you want to die all alone by yourself?"

It seems like marriage is a contract signed up to marry the 1st person most likely to kill you.

Die alone? You mean I won't have any friends? Do you not have any friends, good sir/ma'am stranger who is so concerned about me?

This is why Western civilization is so messed up. We put so little thought towards community and are so cut off from each other in suburbia that we actually conceptualize being single as completely "alone."

As I've said before, what if your spouse dies before you? Are you going to get back into the dating game at age 75? It's still a 50/50 shot whether you will be

non-SO-attached (not "ALONE")

I don't think the chance of getting murdered is a very good reason not to get married, on the other hand. 

1 hour ago, Snao Cone said:

A shirt that says "just because I'm flirting" is pretty clear that the INTENTION is to flirt. Not being friendly and being mistaken for flirting.

1 hour ago, babygyrl09 said:

it makes me feel good about myself.

Well if that ain't sexual/romo culture influencing how an ace feels about themselves, I'd like to know what it is. 

I think it would be productive to contemplate what else makes you feel good about yourself that builds other people up rather than sets up for potential hurt feelings. Just saying. 

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, WoodwindWhistler said:

Renting is a total waste of money. It doesn't build up any value for you, just goes in someone else's pocket. If you decide you want to move out, you can sell a house, mortgage and all. And if in this particular situation you are worried about the finances, you could work something out with your sister, I'm sure, since she sounds awesome and understanding. 

That's aside from the nosiness- so what if you change your mind?? That's none of their business anyway. 

Oh, believe me, we crunched numbers like you wouldn't believe to figure out if it was a workable solution, and it's working out to be cheaper than renting, both in the short and longn term.

17 minutes ago, WoodwindWhistler said:

Well if that ain't sexual/romo culture influencing how an ace feels about themselves, I'd like to know what it is. 

I think it would be productive to contemplate what else makes you feel good about yourself that builds other people up rather than sets up for potential hurt feelings. Just saying. 

And this is why I mentioned that I do it with friends who understand the spirit it's meant in. I don't mean stuff like "that shirt looks great, it'd look better on my floor" that passes for flirting in some places, I mean stuff like *friend trips* "haha, you're always falling at my feet". And on the days that i do dress up, and put a little more effort into my appearance, even if it is just for me, it is a total confidence boost for someone to tell me I look nice. No, I didn't do it for anyone, but it does make me feel good to hear that I look good. And, yeah, that might be the dominant culture contributing to how I think, but no one is an island, and the culture and society we grow up and are surrounded by always influence us in ways we may not see.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Soraiko said:

It can be extremely hurtful if everyone isn't in on the joke.

Wearing a tank top that declares your true intentions is a reasonably sure way to get everyone in on the joke :-) :cake:

• Like 5
Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

@tygersongbird Where people were telling you "Do you want to die alone by yourself" the response that comes to my mind is "Do you want to abandon your friends to die alone?" -_- I mean friends shouldn't be let off the hook lightly on this one imo. Actually it shouldn't be seen as a die alone sort of thing in the first place, because all sorts of things could happen to cause your friendship group to diminish and to me it seems more like something people say so they feel less guilty if a friend is unwell and can't get out to see them the same way they used to. Whether you're single and in your twenties with social anxiety, or in your eighties with arthritis, it shouldn't let friends off the hook for seeing you just because you didn't manage to find a partner on time.

• Like 2
nerdperson777
5 hours ago, WoodwindWhistler said:

It also depends on where you live.  Where I live, no young person can afford to buy a house unless they're super rich.  Back several decades ago, people of my parents' time could buy a house for cheap.  My parents own several properties, both joint together and with their siblings.  My dad and his brothers bought a house in San Francisco for about $60k.  How much is it worth today?  $2 million.  This isn't even like a mansion.  It's a shabby house.  The previous owner wanted to get rid of it so he even paid the down payment for them.  The older population is benefiting from poor younger people.

Then with a decent homeless population, renting is the cheapest option people have, and even then rent is too high for many people.  They don't have the money to make a several hundred dollar down payment on a house either.  A lot of younger people in my area can only rent property from the older population, who are the ones who get to pocket that money.  If I could, I would've moved out of my hell a long time ago.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

That's why everyone needs to be in on the joke. Just flirting with random people or friends that aren't "in" on it is cruel. You think someone actually might not hate you and it turns out they were just doing it for an ego trip and don't care about the emotional torment they're inflicting on others. That can seriously affect someone for a long time, possibly forever. Some people do flirt purely to advance their own ego and to hurt people. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

It also depends on where you live.  Where I live, no young person can afford to buy a house unless they're super rich.  Back several decades ago, people of my parents' time could buy a house for cheap.  My parents own several properties, both joint together and with their siblings.  My dad and his brothers bought a house in San Francisco for about $60k.  How much is it worth today?  $2 million.  This isn't even like a mansion.  It's a shabby house.  The previous owner wanted to get rid of it so he even paid the down payment for them.  The older population is benefiting from poor younger people.

Then with a decent homeless population, renting is the cheapest option people have, and even then rent is too high for many people.  They don't have the money to make a several hundred dollar down payment on a house either.  A lot of younger people in my area can only rent property from the older population, who are the ones who get to pocket that money.  If I could, I would've moved out of my hell a long time ago.

How about leasing?

nerdperson777
48 minutes ago, Zenzencat104 said:

How about leasing?

I had to look up what a lease was, but from what I saw, people probably still don't have the money to buy anything.

Tyger Songbird
4 hours ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

@tygersongbird Where people were telling you "Do you want to die alone by yourself" the response that comes to my mind is "Do you want to abandon your friends to die alone?" -_- I mean friends shouldn't be let off the hook lightly on this one imo. Actually it shouldn't be seen as a die alone sort of thing in the first place, because all sorts of things could happen to cause your friendship group to diminish and to me it seems more like something people say so they feel less guilty if a friend is unwell and can't get out to see them the same way they used to. Whether you're single and in your twenties with social anxiety, or in your eighties with arthritis, it shouldn't let friends off the hook for seeing you just because you didn't manage to find a partner on time.

I know. I know for sure. However, in our world, people seem to operate under the connotation that friends disappear once friends start to marry. They become all interested in their love partner and spend all their time with them. It's an accepted thing. So, people operate with the assumption that it's either get married or die the "old maid" really. So, friendship isn't a thing we do well in my corner of the world.

• Like 3
Tyger Songbird
9 hours ago, WoodwindWhistler said:
21 hours ago, tygersongbird said:

Do you want to die all alone by yourself?"

It seems like marriage is a contract signed up to marry the 1st person most likely to kill you.

Die alone? You mean I won't have any friends? Do you not have any friends, good sir/ma'am stranger who is so concerned about me?

This is why Western civilization is so messed up. We put so little thought towards community and are so cut off from each other in suburbia that we actually conceptualize being single as completely "alone."

As I've said before, what if your spouse dies before you? Are you going to get back into the dating game at age 75? It's still a 50/50 shot whether you will be

non-SO-attached (not "ALONE")

I don't think the chance of getting murdered is a very good reason not to get married, on the other hand. 

I couldn't have said it better. Our Western world is really messed up over this. People claim to want to have a community and everything, but only when it's homogenized aka all mini-van families. Nobody wants to have a single guy or girl enter their neighborhood. After all, the scandal of adultery. I never thought that was a real big problem. After all, how is it that people can cheat when you fall in love with the person you chose to marry? Where's your commitment?

However, people seem really leery of single people and assume they're potential infidels, really. I have been accused of that before, personally. I never thought i would. I never hung around those people, so people wouldn't assume or project missiles at me. Yeah.

Our western culture in a nutshell, huh?

That's why I said what I said. Honestly, if many people are having this sort of problem with adultery, then it must be a risky situation, huh? For some reason, it happens. And when it often does, it seems it leads to nothing but unmitigated disaster. That should make you leery of marriage, at least to assess the risks, don't you think? You can't be foolhardy reading some marriage stats along with the murder rates among divorce battles. Just saying.

• Like 3
WoodwindWhistler
19 hours ago, tygersongbird said:

I know. I know for sure. However, in our world, people seem to operate under the connotation that friends disappear once friends start to marry. They become all interested in their love partner and spend all their time with them. It's an accepted thing. So, people operate with the assumption that it's either get married or die the "old maid" really. So, friendship isn't a thing we do well in my corner of the world.

Yeah, and that's how so much pressure gets put on a marriage socially (you must be EVERYTHING to that person, support, counselor, recreation, blah, blah, blah) that they are so suffocated and cagey they end up fighting over trivial things until they divorce. Great plan, Western civilization. Great plan. 

I mean, some husbands and wives apparently DO scuffle when one wants to go have a "girls night out" or "hang with the guys." If you are not planted with your butt on the couch and focused only on your partner, it is a problem???

Then you have well-adjusted people who are out volunteering and stuff.

I think I've mentioned the study where hospital patients who have a network of friends have better outcomes than those with only spouses. Did I? I don't think I have it saved anywhere. Dangit. It would maybe knock some sense into platonically deprived/negligent people. 

On 1/31/2018 at 11:53 AM, babygyrl09 said:

And on the days that i do dress up, and put a little more effort into my appearance, even if it is just for me, it is a total confidence boost for someone to tell me I look nice. No, I didn't do it for anyone, but it does make me feel good to hear that I look good. And, yeah, that might be the dominant culture contributing to how I think, but no one is an island, and the culture and society we grow up and are surrounded by always influence us in ways we may not see.

Well, like above, when the culture is toxic, ya don't exactly want to be breathing it in. I need the metaphorical equivalent of a gas mask.

In Buddhism you are always able to change the way you think to a better state, no matter where you start out. 

• Like 2
AceTrainerTiny
23 hours ago, tygersongbird said:

I couldn't have said it better. Our Western world is really messed up over this. People claim to want to have a community and everything, but only when it's homogenized aka all mini-van families. Nobody wants to have a single guy or girl enter their neighborhood. After all, the scandal of adultery. I never thought that was a real big problem. After all, how is it that people can cheat when you fall in love with the person you chose to marry? Where's your commitment?

However, people seem really leery of single people and assume they're potential infidels, really. I have been accused of that before, personally. I never thought i would. I never hung around those people, so people wouldn't assume or project missiles at me. Yeah.

Our western culture in a nutshell, huh?

That's why I said what I said. Honestly, if many people are having this sort of problem with adultery, then it must be a risky situation, huh? For some reason, it happens. And when it often does, it seems it leads to nothing but unmitigated disaster. That should make you leery of marriage, at least to assess the risks, don't you think? You can't be foolhardy reading some marriage stats along with the murder rates among divorce battles. Just saying.

This actually is a fact that upsets me because SO many people have this train of thought.

Person: "Oh, you're hanging out with this person a lot? Then you MUUUUST have feelings for them. No, I will not accept that you to are best friends"

Me: "but we've known-"

Them: "It doesn't matter how long you've known each other, two people of opposite gender can't be just friends. Especially not at your age"
     Me: *holding back the humongous ranty speech that I have prepared for this person about gender and asexuality because they won't care* "look, she's like my little sister, and I'm definitely not interested in that kind of relationship right now"

Them: "That's what you say, but I, as someone who's grown up and experienced life, know that you really are only hanging out with this person because she's a girl and you're a boy. Face it, boys only want one thing out of people"

Me: *resisting the urge to punch this person* "Maybe you're a hypersexual jackass, or all of your friends are, but I actually care about people, and I'm friends with this person because she's the only one who's stuck by me through everything, because she appreciates me as a human, and doesn't see me as 'just another boy' like most people do."

Them: *obviously disregarding what I just said* "okay, well you can tell me that when you're married with five kids in ten years" *person walks away*

^So, not exactly what happened, but I legitimately had this sort of situation happen to me in a conversation with one of my teachers a couple of months ago, one of my teachers who I thought I could trust to not be a stereotypical ;alsdkjfh;lagh;a who thinks that he knows all. Then just today I had this conversation with him.

Me: "why is it that two people can't just be friends? Like I'm just trying to hang out with my friend and everyone says that we'd make a really good couple, and acts like we're a thing and we just want to hang out because we've known each other forever"

Them: "I don't know, it's just people being childish. Like, I had lunch with my assistant coach *name* but that doesn't mean her and I were on a date. We were just discussing plans for our next game because she's my assistant coach. I'm married and have two kids, I'm not gonna throw that all away for someone I barely know. It's just business, but I'll tell ya, some people make a big deal out of everything."

Me: "yeah... it is ridiculous..." *walks back to my desk*

Rant over - but yes, the notion that people fade away after getting married is terrible, and I'm going to try and break this by staying friends with my friends who get married, because they all at least know that I'm Ace, so that'll be fun to try and disprove. Stupid society and it's dumb expectations that tear all the good things apart...

• Like 9
J. van Deijck
9 hours ago, AceTrainerTiny said:

"but I, as someone who's grown up and experienced life,"

I always want to vomit when I hear such words. >.<

• Like 7

I think more Aces are interested in Feb 15th, discount chocolate day :P:P

• Like 16