#AsexualProblems

I can't say I mind animals mating (as long as they're on TV, not in reality, and the footage is not too long). But I look away when there are human sex scenes on TV. Also, sometimes, I look away when there are scantily clad women (eg. as background performers at concerts), since their outfits are basically only about sex-appeal. I sort of suspect the media is at least partially to blame for my brain developing to find women more esthetically pleasing than men, since that's what it always shows. (The twist is that I'm a girl)

I guess I'm a bit bothered by the fact that I have to pretend to my family that I'm happy even when I'm not. I've got anxiety and depression (under control at the moment, thankfully) and it always feels like I can't share this with them, or they'd blame it on my life choices (eg. not having a boyfriend...). They seemed to be more aware of mental health issues last time I mentioned it (not about myself) so I guess maybe it's just my anxiety talking.

I'm also a bit bothered by the prevalence of romance in movies and books. Sometimes I can find it really cute, but it makes some things predictable. Like, two main characters of the opposite sex and comparable ages in a story? Probably going to end up either dying or falling for each other. I guess I'd wish for more diversity, for more characters to save the world together and then *not* end up dating and married. Like...maybe they're casual FWB now. Maybe they're just good friends.  Maybe they have an emotionally intense platonic relationship. Maybe they're annoyed at each other's guts but like to passively-aggresively exchange cake recipes. Possibilities are endless~

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Acehp said:

"Wait so like....you don't want dick? Like ever? For the rest of your life?"

My response to those questions:

"Nope.  The P and the V aren't on my list of priorities." 😂

• Like 3
nerdperson777
On 1/18/2019 at 3:22 PM, Strifed said:

I was talking to my grandma today and during the convo she asks, "I bet your mom doesn't want you to have a boyfriend." (my mom is super strict and tried (keyword: tried lol. I still kinda sorta dated anyway but found out I didn't like it so meh) to stop me from dating when I was younger, and still acts "weird" when I have male friends). Then she says, "You should really have a boyfriend by now. I think it will make you happier to have one. Boyfriends make you happy. You'll meet him one day soon. You have a good job, you are nice to look at,  etc etc... You'll have one soon." I was just dying on the inside the whole time she was talking to me and repeating, "yeah... yeah..." x10 because I didn't have it in me to tell her how I really feel. Every time I talk to her I feel a lot of pressure... I really don't believe a partner = happiness, but I do understand that my grandma probably just wants me to find someone nice since my parents have been something else over the years, but I already have found happiness within myself honestly. Some guy can't make me any happier than I am now.

I think though she thinks my mom is stopping me from being with someone, when that isn't the case at all... I could go behind her back just like I did in high school and at this age I am now even though she still acts weird she never tries to stop me, but I just don't want a relationship, and I wish I could tell my grandma that without her thinking, "your mom messed you up!" or anything like that :(  Some people just don't want to be with anyone just because.

I'm glad my mom doesn't pressure me.  I think she only got married because it was "normal" to.  Then the same for having a child.  She believes more in being knowledgeable and independent.  Many people's Chinese names are about being pretty for girls and handsome for boys.  Mom just wanted me to be smart so then I'm just "quick thinker", which usually doesn't happen.  Even with coordinating my lefts and rights, I still have to take a second or two before I know which, even if I do know them.  I take just as long to react to what someone says.  I can't formulate quick witted answers on the spot.  But anyway, I like that my name isn't gendered.

I hardly hear my mom saying that people are attractive so maybe she's grey or demisexual.  She certainly has aesthetic attraction.  No idea about romance, although I think she understands it.  But she's ace at least at not wanting sex.  She likes that I'm not distracting myself with relationships and focusing more on my career but I distract myself with other things.  She'll be disappointed in me somehow anyway.

• Like 4
nerdperson777
On 1/10/2019 at 12:06 PM, nerdperson777 said:

I want donuts now.

Oh right I forgot.  I heard that Krispy Kreme was having buy a dozen and get a dozen free.  It might have ended by now since I got them on Wednesday.  So I got them and realized that I had to eat 24 donuts somehow.  I still have at least 10.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, nerdperson777 said:

I'm glad my mom doesn't pressure me.  I think she only got married because it was "normal" to.  Then the same for having a child.  She believes more in being knowledgeable and independent.  Many people's Chinese names are about being pretty for girls and handsome for boys.  Mom just wanted me to be smart so then I'm just "quick thinker", which usually doesn't happen.  Even with coordinating my lefts and rights, I still have to take a second or two before I know which, even if I do know them.  I take just as long to react to what someone says.  I can't formulate quick witted answers on the spot.  But anyway, I like that my name isn't gendered.

I hardly hear my mom saying that people are attractive so maybe she's grey or demisexual.  She certainly has aesthetic attraction.  No idea about romance, although I think she understands it.  But she's ace at least at not wanting sex.  She likes that I'm not distracting myself with relationships and focusing more on my career but I distract myself with other things.  She'll be disappointed in me somehow anyway.

I'm happy to hear that she doesn't pressure you. It sucks when any family member keeps bringing it up and keeps pointing out men/women to you to date 😫 Aw :( I feel kinda bad that she married "just because". I personally would be miserable if I did that, but hopefully she finds some joy in it... That is neat that your name isn't gendered! :o Sounds like a pretty cool name too!

Hmm, that sounds like my mom at the "she likes that I'm not distracting myself..." part. Have you ever told your mom you're ace too? Maybe she'd understand...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

Mom just wanted me to be smart so then I'm just "quick thinker", which usually doesn't happen.  Even with coordinating my lefts and rights, I still have to take a second or two before I know which, even if I do know them.  I take just as long to react to what someone says.  I can't formulate quick witted answers on the spot.  But anyway, I like that my name isn't gendered.

That is awesome! It sounds like it would be the name of a character in a P.A movie. The type that solves Rubik’s cubes and turns a dead car into a functional motorcycle. 😅 I’m sorry if that sounded stupid, that’s just the image that came into my mind. It’s 100% better than my name! My first name means Helen in my native language. Meh.

4 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

Oh right I forgot.  I heard that Krispy Kreme was having buy a dozen and get a dozen free.  It might have ended by now since I got them on Wednesday.  So I got them and realized that I had to eat 24 donuts somehow.  I still have at least 10.

You could turn them into donut chips! That should dry them out and maybe lengthen their life if you put them in ziploc bags. Hmmm donut chips 💕😋

Edited by Guest
There’s hydrogen and helium, lithium beryllium! Boron, carbon, everywhere, typos all through the air
nerdperson777
3 hours ago, Strifed said:

I'm happy to hear that she doesn't pressure you. It sucks when any family member keeps bringing it up and keeps pointing out men/women to you to date 😫 Aw :( I feel kinda bad that she married "just because". I personally would be miserable if I did that, but hopefully she finds some joy in it... That is neat that your name isn't gendered! :o Sounds like a pretty cool name too!

Hmm, that sounds like my mom at the "she likes that I'm not distracting myself..." part. Have you ever told your mom you're ace too? Maybe she'd understand...

My cousin asked my mom what was so attractive about my dad when they were younger.  Whenever I asked, she'd just give me not-answers because none of it was about feeling.  So her answer to my cousin was that dad was a handyman.  It sounds like she married him just so she could have a free plumber for her house and rental property.  My mom has always been about the mind and ignoring the feeling.  I have asked why she married dad, considering that there's nothing between them that I've ever seen in my life.  Her answer to that was that there was no reason to reject him, and she guesses that he was good looking then.  It's just a legal partnership, for paying taxes.

She knows I'm ace.  She approves that I'm not going out having crazy sex, BUT she wants to pass on her genes.  I'm changing to a maybe for kids but she's not going to know that.

3 minutes ago, i.r3beka said:

That is awesome! It sounds like it would be the name of a character in a P.A movie. The type that solves Rubik’s cubes and turns a dead car into a functional motorcycle. 😅 I’m sorry if that sounded stupid, that’s just the image that came into my mind. It’s 100% better than my name! My first name means Helen in my native language. Meh.

You could turn them into donut chips! That should dry them out and maybe lengthen their life if you put them in ziploc bags. Hmmm donut chips 💕😋

It is cool, but I feel like in actual English, I think it'd be hard to call someone like that.  "Quick thinker, come here!"  I tried using it for a username for an online game and it felt too geeky.  Plus a Q sound doesn't really sound like an easy thing to roll off the tongue.

They are in Ziploc bags, just as is.  I didn't want to keep the boxes.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

I have asked why she married dad, considering that there's nothing between them that I've ever seen in my life.  Her answer to that was that there was no reason to reject him, and she guesses that he was good looking then.  It's just a legal partnership, for paying taxes.

You know now that you mention that there are some pretty good tax/monetary benefits for being married, and sometimes I wish singles got extended benefits too... Sometimes it feels like the world (or at least some societies) revolves around married = better/better benefits, which kinda sucks 😕 

• Like 7
11 hours ago, Strifed said:

You know now that you mention that there are some pretty good tax/monetary benefits for being married, and sometimes I wish singles got extended benefits too... Sometimes it feels like the world (or at least some societies) revolves around married = better/better benefits, which kinda sucks 😕 

If you live in certain states in the US and have someone you enjoy cohabitating with, specific states confer rights given to married couples to people in a domestic partnership. Still requires another person obviously though.

Video games also share this inequity; there’s no game I’ve played that gives you explicit benefits for remaining single (I don’t count games with perks that confer benefits for just choosing to adventure alone like Lone Wanderer from Fallout or something cause that’s not the same thing as choosing not to be in a relationship). In fact, most games grant extremely beneficial to arguably game-breaking buffs if you marry or even just have casual sex with people. Give me forever single or virginity powers! 😇😇😇 Immunity to charm, ability to see through glamour (verbal or visual), or at least unique dialogue choices (let me an oblivious dummy in game 😂). Heck, give me some boring bonus damage to more hedonistic or depraved NPCs.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Strifed said:

I have thought about this a LOT lately. Not just the taxes aspect of it, but the general benefits of having a SO. I’ve been struggling with deciding if I’m going to keep my dog, and if I can how that will be possible. {Circumstances in my life right now make keeping her a strain on my life}. And it occurred to me that if I had a live in SO, things would be easier. I’d have someone that could help care for her, and help keep up the bills on the house. That might sound like I’m being selfish, but I’m not, I don’t think. I want someone to split the bills with. 50/50, not someone to take ALL my bills.

Having a SO would make even simple chores easier. For instance, I’m overdue on an oil change. Not a problem, my brother taught me to change my oil. But I’d like to not burn myself on scalding oil from an engine that was recently running. It would be easier with a SO. I’d just be like “why don’t we drive my car up the ramps and if you don’t mind you could drive me to work so when I get home my engine is cold?” 

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately and it is depressing AF. Having a SO is so practical, but challenging for aces. I would like a SO someday, not just for practical reasons, I also would like someone in my life just to watch Netflix with etc. But I’d only want a platonic relationship and I know allos are the majority.

14 hours ago, Laplace said:

If you live in certain states in the US and have someone you enjoy cohabitating with, specific states confer rights given to married couples to people in a domestic partnership. Still requires another person obviously though.

Video games also share this inequity; there’s no game I’ve played that gives you explicit benefits for remaining single (I don’t count games with perks that confer benefits for just choosing to adventure alone like Lone Wanderer from Fallout or something cause that’s not the same thing as choosing not to be in a relationship). In fact, most games grant extremely beneficial to arguably game-breaking buffs if you marry or even just have casual sex with people. Give me forever single or virginity powers! 😇😇😇 Immunity to charm, ability to see through glamour (verbal or visual), or at least unique dialogue choices (let me an oblivious dummy in game 😂). Heck, give me some boring bonus damage to more hedonistic or depraved NPCs.

Oh really? :o that sounds nice! I'm the type of person that likes to live alone, but I'll still look into what states offer that... maybe I can become friends with someone and enjoy them enough that we can live together... but they'd have to be like an airline pilot or celebrity and never be home LMAO

What type of games are you playing? 😂 The only type of game I can think of that gives you some benefits from getting married was Skyrim, and the "benefit" was so small it wasn't even worth it imo. Everything else I've played never required getting married or having a relationship/doing the nasty (minus GTA), and sometimes its not even an option. I mostly play as single dudes (and if I can make myself as a character I do!) saving the world from some evil force or dragons... and in one game a guy had a fiance but he acted like he didn't even like her RIP lmao.

5 hours ago, i.r3beka said:

I have thought about this a LOT lately. Not just the taxes aspect of it, but the general benefits of having a SO. I’ve been struggling with deciding if I’m going to keep my dog, and if I can how that will be possible. {Circumstances in my life right now make keeping her a strain on my life}. And it occurred to me that if I had a live in SO, things would be easier. I’d have someone that could help care for her, and help keep up the bills on the house. That might sound like I’m being selfish, but I’m not, I don’t think. I want someone to split the bills with. 50/50, not someone to take ALL my bills.

Having a SO would make even simple chores easier. For instance, I’m overdue on an oil change. Not a problem, my brother taught me to change my oil. But I’d like to not burn myself on scalding oil from an engine that was recently running. It would be easier with a SO. I’d just be like “why don’t we drive my car up the ramps and if you don’t mind you could drive me to work so when I get home my engine is cold?” 

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately and it is depressing AF. Having a SO is so practical, but challenging for aces. I would like a SO someday, not just for practical reasons, I also would like someone in my life just to watch Netflix with etc. But I’d only want a platonic relationship and I know allos are the majority.

I can understand that. I thought about having a roommate briefly for the same reasons, but I thought, "Well I wouldn't save too much since it would be bills/grocery/messes/responsibilities/etc for two people instead of just me." I think it would help a bit, but for me personality the cons would outweigh the pros. I rather just pick up after myself and take care of myself honestly, and if I need a friend to help me with something I can call them :) 

Why not find another asexual to be in a relationship with? I can't say finding another would be easy (but hey you can find people on this site!), but it beats trying to compromise with someone that wants sex. Then you could have all the benefits of a relationship without the intimacy part!

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Strifed said:

Oh really? :o that sounds nice! I'm the type of person that likes to live alone, but I'll still look into what states offer that... maybe I can become friends with someone and enjoy them enough that we can live together... but they'd have to be like an airline pilot or celebrity and never be home LMAO

What type of games are you playing? 😂 The only type of game I can think of that gives you some benefits from getting married was Skyrim, and the "benefit" was so small it wasn't even worth it imo. Everything else I've played never required getting married or having a relationship/doing the nasty (minus GTA), and sometimes its not even an option. I mostly play as single dudes (and if I can make myself as a character I do!) saving the world from some evil force or dragons... and in one game a guy had a fiance but he acted like he didn't even like her RIP lmao.

It’s mainly west coast states and more liberal-aligned states that allow for it. Some states also use it to circumvent the archaic hetero-only marriage stuff. I may not necessarily agree with all the policies in California, but this should be standard (unless there’s some hidden drawback I can’t think of). I don’t think it’s fair that you have to explicitly marry someone to get certain rights in some states.

In games, marriage typically grants the ability to get a sizable exp gain increase (~15%) for simply sleeping in a bed with a spouse (almost any modern Bethesda game, free items, often free food (which can be surprisingly valuable depending on the game), and sometimes free abilities. Fire Emblem grants potentially insane stat boosts depending on your support levels with S rank, which is guaranteed to start a romantic and sexual relationship in the more recent games due to the children mechanic, locking in a character pairing. The player avatar’s child (and nearly every other child unit) is a broken character with insane stats and abilities too. Many life sim games like Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, and Stardew Valley offer many perks for marriage. In Rune Factory 4, if you equip a spouse or child with something infused with a “white stone,” they become nearly unkillable and deal obscene damage. Some don’t even let you progress or give you a GAME OVER if you don’t marry. In general, if there is a marriage option, it’s generally beneficial if not crucial in most games, and you’re not rewarded with anything for remaining single in any game I’ve played. 

I nearly forgot one more game: Dragon Age Origins.

Either have sex with Morrigan (if you’re male), have your spouse have sex with Morrigan (if you’re female), have a Grey Warden spouse sacrifice themselves (if you’re female), or YOU DIE at the end of the game to kill the Archdemon for good. So as a guy, I have to either have sex or straight up DIE. There’s no way to survive without sex as a guy. Girls either have to die, let their spouse die, or get cucked basically. 😟 

Edited by Laplace
Fixing typos
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Strifed said:

I can understand that. I thought about having a roommate briefly for the same reasons, but I thought, "Well I wouldn't save too much since it would be bills/grocery/messes/responsibilities/etc for two people instead of just me." I think it would help a bit, but for me personality the cons would outweigh the pros. I rather just pick up after myself and take care of myself honestly, and if I need a friend to help me with something I can call them :) 

Why not find another asexual to be in a relationship with? I can't say finding another would be easy (but hey you can find people on this site!), but it beats trying to compromise with someone that wants sex. Then you could have all the benefits of a relationship without the intimacy part!

For me a think a relationship would beat having a friend move in IF we are really compatible and have similar lifestyles. I had my former best-friend move in with me. That lasted two months and we aren’t friends anymore. She’s hated me since I asked her to move out, even though I gave her a month, searched for apartments for her, and found some storage units she could use.

I didn’t realize how different our lifestyles were until she moved in, unfortunately. I’m a minimalist, she’s a hoarder. I’m a neat-freak, and she’s messy. I wanted to hire a maid to help keep up the place {I even suggested that I would be solely responsible for paying for the maid} and she refused because she “doesn’t want anyone touching my stuff}.

Finding another asexual would be awesome! Hopefully someone that’s neat, quiet, and doesn’t care if I higher a cleaning lady. It would be hard though. They’d have to think I’m an OK person too, and be ok with my bad habits enough to tolerate a relationship / cohabiting with me. LOL! They’d have to be a saint haha. A saint with standards low enough to share house with a potato 😂 a potato and a very unruly Doberman.

After high school and college, me and one of my guy friends plan to move in together. AND WE'RE BOTH ACE

• Like 9
6 minutes ago, i.r3beka said:

For me a think a relationship would beat having a friend move in IF we are really compatible and have similar lifestyles. I had my former best-friend move in with me. That lasted two months and we aren’t friends anymore. She’s hated me since I asked her to move out, even though I gave her a month, searched for apartments for her, and found some storage units she could use.

I didn’t realize how different our lifestyles were until she moved in, unfortunately. I’m a minimalist, she’s a hoarder. I’m a neat-freak, and she’s messy. I wanted to hire a maid to help keep up the place {I even suggested that I would be solely responsible for paying for the maid} and she refused because she “doesn’t want anyone touching my stuff}.

Finding another asexual would be awesome! Hopefully someone that’s neat, quiet, and doesn’t care if I higher a cleaning lady. It would be hard though. They’d have to think I’m an OK person too, and be ok with my bad habits enough to tolerate a relationship / cohabiting with me. LOL! They’d have to be a saint haha. A saint with standards low enough to share house with a potato 😂 a potato and a very unruly Doberman.

That's why I don't try and live with any of my few IRL friends, they all tend to be messy slobs for some reason...

Hmm, Hoarder and "Don't touch my stuff" is not a good combination. I can't say I blame her for not liking the idea of a cleaning lady, but then I am a clean-freak so wouldn't NEED a cleaning lady...
Good luck in your search ~

1 minute ago, Miss Who said:

After high school and college, me and one of my guy friends plan to move in together. AND WE'RE BOTH ACE

*GASP!* You found another ace in close proximity to you??? SCANDALOUS!!!
How did you break the ace code?! By law of nature aces cannot exist within 500km of each other!!! =O
*ahem* Silliness over...
Happy for you! ~ 😃 

• Like 8
15 minutes ago, StomachGod said:

*GASP!* You found another ace in close proximity to you??? SCANDALOUS!!!
How did you break the ace code?! By law of nature aces cannot exist within 500km of each other!!! =O
*ahem* Silliness over...
Happy for you! ~ 😃 

I'm a magical pixie, so I might not count fully.

Aww, thanks!

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Miss Who said:

Incroyable! That’s a rare find! I’m happy for you, I’m sure you guys will have an awesome time of it 😊

14 hours ago, Laplace said:

I nearly forgot one more game: Dragon Age Origins.

Hide contents

Either have sex with Morrigan (if you’re male), have your spouse have sex with Morrigan (if you’re female), have a Grey Warden spouse sacrifice themselves (if you’re female), or YOU DIE at the end of the game to kill the Archdemon for good. So as a guy, I have to either have sex or straight up DIE. There’s no way to survive without sex as a guy. Girls either have to die, let their spouse die, or get cucked basically. 😟 

In all fairness, you don't have to romance Alistair, and it is possible to have Loghain do the deed instead if you didn't have him executed.

Also, there are people who let their Warden die for role-playing reasons and it's not like having your Warden die is an instant "Game Over".  Hell, my first playthrough I opted out of the DR (m!Mahariel, romanced Leliana) entirely and ended the game with Alistair dying.

As for Bethesda games, with Skyrim the experience buff isn't really noticeable, so it can safely be ignored (I've actually completely forgotten about the mechanic at some points), while with the perks in Fallout games, all you really have to do is get their approval above a certain point (and complete their respective quests) and then you'll get the perk.  No romance/sex required.

As for the other games, I've never played them.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Bronztrooper said:

Reveal hidden contents

In all fairness, you don't have to romance Alistair, and it is possible to have Loghain do the deed instead if you didn't have him executed.

Also, there are people who let their Warden die for role-playing reasons and it's not like having your Warden die is an instant "Game Over".  Hell, my first playthrough I opted out of the DR (m!Mahariel, romanced Leliana) entirely and ended the game with Alistair dying.

As for Bethesda games, with Skyrim the experience buff isn't really noticeable, so it can safely be ignored (I've actually completely forgotten about the mechanic at some points), while with the perks in Fallout games, all you really have to do is get their approval above a certain point (and complete their respective quests) and then you'll get the perk.  No romance/sex required.

As for the other games, I've never played them.

Tbh I never married in Skyrim in my XBOX playthrough because there was just too much other stuff to do, and you're right that the buff can be ignored. Especially on Skyrim PC. I just mod it up with whatever I want haha. And don't tell anyone I spent 2 weeks trying to mod in Cloud's DISSIDIA model into Skyrim before just using Skyrim modding engine and putting him in :P  Oddly though... I don't mind romancing video game characters (I don't care much for the sex part honestly unless it's very tastefully done in the relationship/story), but that just might be the ficto side of me :P  What bothers me in gaming is the overly sexualized women (and sometimes the dudes too...). Recently in a game I play a character that looked "underaged" got censored (removed her lace stocking and just gave her armor which... did nothing since she was still basically naked), but then the women with huge boobies have their boobs hanging out of their outfits/very little armor and the giggly physics are distracting... I get it, boobs bounce and that's natural, but it's not like they're water balloons or should be so sexualized 😫 

14 hours ago, i.r3beka said:

Ooh that sucks. I do hear about those stories where the bffs are no longer bffs because of situations like that... That's too bad, but I hope you found some new people to hang out with!

Ugh, I couldn't live with someone messy either so I feel your pain... and the hoarding some atrocious to me too. 

It might be hard, but not impossible! Maybe when you search for new roommates you could conduct an interview of sorts (if you don't find a partner by then)? Aw! You have a Doberman? I always wanted one, and I had a "mutt" a few years back that looked like a German Pinscher mix. He was really sweet, quiet, and liked naps lol! But yah, I think Dobermans are cute and as a single woman I did want a dog that looked threatening and could defend me if I needed it to... but was actually a sweetheart 😂 

Edited by Strifed
  • Like 3
47 minutes ago, Strifed said:

Tbh I never married in Skyrim in my XBOX playthrough because there was just too much other stuff to do, and you're right that the buff can be ignored. Especially on Skyrim PC. I just mod it up with whatever I want haha. And don't tell anyone I spent 2 weeks trying to mod in Cloud's DISSIDIA model into Skyrim before just using Skyrim modding engine and putting him in :P  Oddly though... I don't mind romancing video game characters (I don't care much for the sex part honestly unless it's very tastefully done in the relationship/story), but that just might be the ficto side of me :P  What bothers me in gaming is the overly sexualized women (and sometimes the dudes too...). Recently in a game I play a character that looked "underaged" got censored (removed her lace stocking and just gave her armor which... did nothing since she was still basically naked), but then the women with huge boobies have their boobs hanging out of their outfits/very little armor and the giggly physics are distracting... I get it, boobs bounce and that's natural, but it's not like they're water balloons or should be so sexualized 😫 

I like having the option of romance in the RPGs I play, but I don't mind non-optional ones in other games so long as they're done well (and focus more on the emotional side rather than the sexual side).  Hell, I actually enjoy romancing characters, so long as the arc is well-written (which could probably be considered as odd for a guy, but whatever).

As for over-sexualized characters, yeah, I find that stuff annoying too, which us part of the reason why I don't really play JRPGs.  I would much rather have every character be clad in outfits that are practical and/or suit the character's personality.  If a character is a very sexual character (or just very comfortable with their body) and wears revealing clothing/armor, fine, that makes sense, but if the character isn't a sexual character at all and ends up wearing revealing clothing/armor, then I'll have a problem with it.

And the 'jiggle physics' thing is just stupid, really.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Bronztrooper said:

I like having the option of romance in the RPGs I play, but I don't mind non-optional ones in other games so long as they're done well (and focus more on the emotional side rather than the sexual side).  Hell, I actually enjoy romancing characters, so long as the arc is well-written (which could probably be considered as odd for a guy, but whatever).

As for over-sexualized characters, yeah, I find that stuff annoying too, which us part of the reason why I don't really play JRPGs.  I would much rather have every character be clad in outfits that are practical and/or suit the character's personality.  If a character is a very sexual character (or just very comfortable with their body) and wears revealing clothing/armor, fine, that makes sense, but if the character isn't a sexual character at all and ends up wearing revealing clothing/armor, then I'll have a problem with it.

And the 'jiggle physics' thing is just stupid, really.

I don't think it's odd just because you're a guy! A good story/route is a good story/route, and anyone can enjoy it!

Eugh, yeah... a lot of JRPGs are notorious for that... and same here! I agree too about a character that is supposed to be sexy or likes to show off their bod, then sure, but not every single girl should be in a bikini and the guys don't need to be shirtless all the time...

I usually don't get too irked by things, but jiggle physics did it for me... Just why? I only see very young sexual guys get excited about it, and everyone else is kinda put off or meh about it. It makes my skin crawl when I see young boys in gaming chats treating girls like they're sex objects or toys... I get these are characters, but when it translates into real life it's really gross...

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Strifed said:

Eugh, yeah... a lot of JRPGs are notorious for that... and same here! I agree too about a character that is supposed to be sexy or likes to show off their bod, then sure, but not every single girl should be in a bikini and the guys don't need to be shirtless all the time...

Exactly. I’m probably gonna replay Tales of Vesperia cause it just got rereleased as the definitive edition, and there’s a character who has a fanservice-y fashion sense and flirty attitude while not just being a complete ho for the sake of titillation. Like, it’s okay to have some characters like that cause it’s just another personality type, but I dislike when there’s this oversaturation of it or the game just sexually harasses unwilling characters by proxy. The character is hilarious combined with the rest of the cast too so it’s definitely possible to have a fanservice-y character that isn’t just a flat (lol) character.

Also, too much jiggling ruins the chance to take a game seriously. Like, how can I legitimately feel for the characters or care about the word if the game just insists on comically rubbing boobs in my face the whole goddamn time. 😣

Edited by Laplace
  • Like 3

I remember one of the VNs I did a reading of, one of the endings was, "We will all be friends forever!" type of thing.  In my personal head canon, that was the Good ending, but, to most it was her neutral ending.  The actual 'good' ending you wind up sleeping with her and living happily ever after type of thing.

Personally, I would have been happier with the neutral ending, but, the girl I was recording with wanted the good ending.  So, wound up doing both.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Just Dani said:

All of this has me wondering if there's an ace gamer thread somewhere... :ph34r:

We should start one if not! :D 

Edit: Did you center Sephiroth now? If so, we are matching again! 😂

Edited by Strifed
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Strifed said:

We should start one if not! :D 

Edit: Did you center Sephiroth now? If so, we are matching again! 😂

Yes, yes we totally should! 😆 

And yes, yes I did. I like the way you did it. It looks better than having a single pic just sitting to the left. I'm thinking of adding some other things to my signature, but I'm not sure what yet... 🤔

On 9/19/2013 at 8:23 PM, RoL34 said:

Somebody makes a sexual innuendo out of what you just said and you don't get it #asexualproblems

The annoying thing is that my friends are the royal family of sexual innuendos and I’ve known them for nearly forever, so my brain’s been rewired to understand them. It’s really dam hard.

• Like 2
Squirrel Combat

Having a fetish that conflicts with your asexuality, so you make bad judgement calls.

• Like 1