How many are...?

What's your concept of 'hispanics'?

Ditto.

I'm Spanish. I don't think of myself as Hispanic though :roll:

Hispanic means of a Spainsh speaking people or culture. Most people in the US use it to mean Latin American.

I am :), I at least I am pretty sure, mexican is hispanic right? I dunno if I would count as latin america, most people assume I am latin american beacuse of my light skin

hmmmm.........i know people who speak spanish but do not at all consider themselved to be hispanic.....and if you call them hispanic they get pissed off.....

im confused ....I just call these poeple I know friends.....

Well, I kind of get pissed off too... :roll:

I'd try to explain it, but I can do it politely or making sense, you I'll leave it at that :wink:

I often see 'hispanic' mentioned as an ethnicity, applied to latin americans in the USA. Which is utterly stupid, since the most latin americans are 'mestizos' (literally, 'mongrel'), except for countries like Argentina, Uruguay and Chile which are mostly populated by descendants of european immigrants. If by 'hispanic' you mean 'Latin American', I could be included. If you mean 'Spanish (peninsular, southern european)', then I wouldn't, since I'd be more accurately described as anglo-saxon.

In that case, I think I'm the only regular latin american (living in latin america, at least) that posts in the english language forums. Why did you want to know?

I'm really sorry, I wanted to write "I'll leave it at that" (which still doesn't sound right, oh well...) I don't have a clue what the "you" is doing there :roll: I wasn't trying to talk about you at all :wink: I've gotten pissed off about this several times, but it takes way more than this to do so :roll:

Basically is like this... you can say I'm Hispanic if you're talking about my culture, I guess, but somehow "Spanish" makes more sense to me (also because I live in Spain, and the term is often used for Spanish speaking people who live in the States) If you're talking about a race, well... that'd make me angry :roll: I just can't see how I'm different from the rest of European people, sorry :roll: ( and I have almost black hair, dark brown eyes and tanned skin :lol: ) And even if I were from a different "race", all my dark features come from the moors that inhabited Spain centuries ago, so mixing us with Latin American people who have native blood in them doesn't make any sense :? (yes, they're darker too, so?)

Cate Perfect
Why did you want to know?

That's what I was wondering.

USer, Anglo-Irish, with a dash of Jewish and Seminole Indian Cate

I'm of anglo-saxon stock and Irish if you go far enough back (about 125 years).

Mind you if you go back 3 million years everyone is African.

Ah ahm NAHT Canadian! Ah ahm QUEBE-

Oh, wait. Yeah, I am Canadian. Whoops.

AH HAH HAH HAH HAH!!!!!

*dies*

And "the motreal quebecoisers" doesn't have the same ring to it, non?

From my experience, hispanic means from the Spanish-speaking world. Some people I know use it to include Spain, others consider Spanish people white. I've also heard "latino" being interchanged with "hispanic", but my Brazilian friend identifies herself as "latina".

To answer your question, I'm Russian.