Songs in alternate languages!

ithaca

Almost forgot to post this.

This song would make you think songs like Friday are masterpieces. It's the most popular worst song, and the only reason it's popular is because it's so bad, it looped back and became good again.

morgaine has won

My brother has this playing constantly and I've got an earworm and now I want to share that ^^ The name translates to 'red front' and it's a leftist band I think.

-> Rotfront - B-Style (it's in a slavic language (i'd say russian but my brother says hungarian??) and german, they're singing about Berlin, judging from the german parts)

-> Rotfront - Berlin-Barcelona (this is in english and german)

this reminds me of another berlin song i like (huh i don't have much of an opinion on berlin tho):

-> Peter Fox - Schwarz zu Blau ('Black to Blue'; it's quite morbid and creepy, he's celebrating Berlin's ugliness)

Oh, Rotfront and songs about Berlin ... gotta love 'em. Too bad I've always missed the opportunity to see them live.

-> Rotfront - B-Style (it's in a slavic language (i'd say russian but my brother says hungarian??)

I think both of you are right! Not sure about Hungarian, though.

Hungarian is not a slavic language :P

I'd say it sounds like Russian to me but we'd better let our AVEN friends from Eastern Europe confirm that one :)

morgaine has won

Yeah, I was also unsure about hungarian ^^ In the youtube comments people say it's hungarian as well, but I've recently listened to the hungarian version of For The First Time in Forever from Frozen and that didn't sound slavic at all, or like the language in that song from Rotfront, so you're right, it's probably not that one.

@kiaroskuro: You like Berlin? (??? *slightly puzzled about that* like i said i don't have much of an opinion on it .... i always feel a bit left out when people say they like a certain city, it's weird to me. *lives in Hamburg* *thinks most cities have their ugly and great sides*)

Sorry, I should have been more precise. The part from 1:20 – 1:35 isn’t Russian for sure, and it doesn’t sound like a Slavic language. It might be Hungarian, but yeah, let’s wait for an expert or native speaker to confirm. I’m pretty sure the rest is sung in Russian (and German of course).

@kiaroskuro: You like Berlin?

Let's say it's some kind of Hassliebe ;-)

morgaine has won

Quick, the thread needs to be on-topic again ^^

here is this excellent acoustic one:

and because i couldn't resist:

Alles - Everything

Imagine you were

alone amongst people again

singing sad songs

of being and meaning

of screaming and skinning oneself

of wanting and not-getting

of wars and peace

of never being satisfied

And suddenly a punch and you're

crawling on all fours

And a voice at your ear

says you shouldn't lament

It said

Put a stop to this clowning around

and a stop to this whining

With a kick to the legs and

a kiss that would be enough to start crying

He would hold on to you

and even if you fought it

When you can't believe yourself

that you're worth it

Everything is everything is everything

You are

allowed everything and

given everything

believed in everything and

forgiven for everything

And everything would be possible

and everything would have missed

Everything would be done

and in vain

and good

Imagine that salvation wasn't only

for the religious

Rigorous angels came

that were really evil

If you don't believe anyone else

would you believe

If they said, look

we're fixing your screws

If they said: We're taking

your crutches

Say, would you dance

or bend to pick them up again?

Do you know

Everything is everything is everything

And everything would be everything would be ... good

Also this:

Hungarian is not a slavic language :P

I'd say it sounds like Russian to me but we'd better let our AVEN friends from Eastern Europe confirm that one :)

You're right about Hungarian not being a slavic language but Russian definitely is.

I've been listening to this song a lot lately

• 2 weeks later...
Knight of Cydonia

This has got to be one of my favourite songs of all time. The band usually does instrumentals, so this song is a bit of an exception for them, but it's still as intricate as the rest of their music. They've got an amazing drummer.

It alternates between English and Japanese, but I couldn't help but share it here. So, here is "Goodbye", by the Japanese band Toe (the shortened version of the song - there are two album versions over 7 minutes long each, but this is the music video).

nerdperson777

The only alternate language song I really enjoyed was "Time to Say Goodbye", which is in English and Italian, from what I know. When I'm alone, I like messing around and singing both the tenor and soprano part. :D

I wanted to find a newer HD version, but I can't find the one I found previously so have an old one.

Despite being of Chinese ancestry, I only know of two song in Chinese. It's only because my Chinese class at grades 11 and 12 were lumped together, then both classes go to the senior banquet, and our class was made to sing Mandarin songs even though that's not our class. We're the Cantonese class, which our teacher likes to say how good we are for knowing both dialects and blah, blah. So we spent part of class time learning how to sing Mandarin. (Oddly I couldn't find the video in my email when searching "Chinese" or "banquet", but when I searched "nun" because my mom said I looked like one.)

So here, have a video (WARNING: don't listen to it if you hate bad singing, because the solo was given to the teacher's pet, who can't sing.) I'm the only "girl" that wasn't wearing a dress. Actual content starts at 1:35

• 3 weeks later...
Earth Sprite

Elämää juoksuhaudoissa (Living in Trenches in English) singing by A.Aimo & playing by Dallapé orchestra.

Recorded during the Finnish Winter War in 1940. Words were written by Usko Kemppi. Composed (probably) by G.Dubriansky.

3479676_1200_675.jpg?preset=article

• 2 weeks later...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4g4z92FkRpI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g4z92FkRpI In case the code thing doesn't work.

This is one of my favourite Norwegian singers at the moment. I also love this song, it's really great, and it's about a relationship but no sex in it (and a lot about how they're so weird and how they are so similiar) so it is a wonderful song for aces aswell ;)

This is a song by a popular Taiwanese rock band called Mayday. The song is Starry Night, which was used in a movie of the same name, which was based on the picture book, whose art was loosely based on the painting. Phew.

You can find the lyrics here, translated by Yours Truly.

iwanttodeletethisaccount

I love listening to music in the languages I'm learning and discovering new stuff :D Here is my fave song in Spanish, Portuguese and Italian:

• 3 weeks later...
Earth Sprite

Ilta skanssissa (Eve on the foc's'le in English) by A.Aimo & Vili Vesterinen's orchestra in the year 1944.

The spray painting worker Aimo Andersson sang over 300 recordings in Finnish by his stage name A.Aimo.

Click:

hqdefault.jpg

This is the first time that I listen to a song of hers other than 'Voyage Voyage'

• 3 weeks later...

Just discovered this Taiwanese artist, Deserts Xuan/Chang, and thought this song was really sweet. Most people translate "bao bei" as baby.

And one of her more recent songs..

• 4 weeks later...

Jääkukkia (Ice Flowers in English) by Dallapé orchestra singing Veli Lehto in the year 1931 composed by Lauri Lindström.

Jääkukkia:

ice_1872008.jpg

Honestly, I don't really like local music very much, but this song has always been one of my favorites:

Here's a (shitty) translation I did because there's none on the Internet and I have nothing better to do:

"Within Reach"

Stealing my gaze

Moving with the wind

Tell me

What I have to do

To be close to, to behold and to touch

Your beauty

Heaven is within reach

Your song beckons my love

Heaven is within reach

Heaven is within reach

Your voice caresses me

Heaven is within reach

I wish to reach

The sparkle of the stars

The loveliness of morning in the garden [Just guessing here because I don't understand the first word]

What must I do

To be close to, to behold and to touch

Your beauty

Heaven is within reach

Your song beckons my love

Heaven is within reach

Heaven is within reach

Your voice caresses me

Heaven is within reach

Also I really like Japanese media, so here's a song by my favorite Japanese band, which was used in one of my favorite anime:

"Perfect World" by Rocky Chack

[Translation]

And here's a song by my favorite Japanese vocal group, which was used in my #1 favorite anime:

[Translation]

German rapper with great messages:

translation:

http://lyricstranslate.com/de/lass-liegen-leave-it.html

Edit: I also found it fascinating how he does his songs (acoustic versions):

https://youtu.be/EuLQYZqpilE?t=2m53s

Some might know him from "Willst Du" or the remix of Robin Schulz of it.

@Kazu well, I personally don't like Cro but he is also a german rapper like Alligatoah :)

Artist: Number Girl

Song: I don't know

Language: Japanese

Translation: [x]

CONTENT WARNING: selfharm, suicide?, murder?, death

I love this video but watching it always leaves me feeling empty.

So.. something considerably happier and cuter after that?

Artist: STANDING EGG ft. Windy

Song: 사랑한대 (He Said He Loves Me)

Language: Korean

Archived