Survey on asexuality and lesbian relationships

Lord Happy Toast

Lord Happy Toast

LaChelle Schilling, a doctoral student at Claremont Graduate University, is conducting a survey on asexuality and lesbian relationships. It has been approved for posting by the AVEN Project Team.

Edit: This survey is now closed. See this post for details.

Hello everyone, I am doing a new study on asexuality - this time on women's same-sex relationships, so if you are 18 years of age or older and either identify as asexual and lesbian OR do not feel comfortable with labels but you have non-normative relational boundaries with other women, then I would love for you to share your stories, experiences and thoughts with me. There will be no compensation, but I will be happy to share the paper with you when it is completed. The first part is an online survey, and then there is also an opportunity to participate in follow-up email interviews. If you are interested, please feel free to click on the link below, which will take you to SurveyMonkey where you can read and electronically sign the consent form. Thank you!!!

Click here to participate

For more information on what it does and does not mean for for the PT to approve a study for posting, please see our rules for using AVEN for research.

Blood-of-Cherries

what if I'm asexual and biromantic, can I participate since I'm like... half lesbian?

Lord Happy Toast

My understanding of the author's intention is that the survey is for asexuals, demisexuals, and gray-A's who (at least sort of) identify as female and have been in, are in, or are interested in being in a romantic relationship with another person who (at least sort of) identifies as female.

what if I'm asexual and biromantic, can I participate since I'm like... half lesbian?

half-lesbian. I love it. Yes, please do. :)

I am demi and lesbian but not in a relationship. So...

Absolutely - you don't have to be in a relationship. I'd still like to hear your opinions on things. Thanks. :)

I just want to say THANK YOU to all those who are posting in my study. Especially because there don't seem to be a lot of people identifying as lesbian asexual women. . . . I feel that that is a question I really want an answer to. . . . . . :( This is not part of my study, but why might there not be/is there not a lot of lesbian asexual women? Does anyone have an idea? (I'm really sorry if this is a stupid question - I don't mean for it to be stupid.)

I just want to say THANK YOU to all those who are posting in my study. Especially because there don't seem to be a lot of people identifying as lesbian asexual women. . . . I feel that that is a question I really want an answer to. . . . . . :( This is not part of my study, but why might there not be/is there not a lot of lesbian asexual women? Does anyone have an idea? (I'm really sorry if this is a stupid question - I don't mean for it to be stupid.)

Not many people are asexual, and not many females are lesbians. Therefore, even a lesser number of people is asexual, female, and homoromantic. Aiming the survey at a very specific group may result in not having many participants, but don't worry, more should come over time :)

Not many people are asexual, and not many females are lesbians. Therefore, even a lesser number of people is asexual, female, and homoromantic. Aiming the survey at a very specific group may result in not having many participants, but don't worry, more should come over time :)

:) YAY.

TheSmallestPart

Well, I'm not exactly asexual and I'm not exactly lesbian... BUT! I find woman attractive and am apparently functionally-asexual according to an aquaintance. So... well, it's another hit on your survey if nothing else. ;)

Well, I'm not exactly asexual and I'm not exactly lesbian... BUT! I find woman attractive and am apparently functionally-asexual according to an aquaintance. So... well, it's another hit on your survey if nothing else. ;)

"Not exactly" spaces should be more celebrated and accepted I am thinking. A lot of people would be coming out as "not exactly." So thank you!

Because lesbians in general are encouraged to be straight/bisexual; I tend to see more openly homosexual males than homosexual females, with homosexuality being pretty low in numbers anyway. Asexuality is even smaller, so getting a minority in a minority is probably why.

Then again, a lot of lesbians aren't all that sexual and they probably just aren't aware of asexuality. This goes for other sexualities as well. When you add on gray-asexual and demisexual, you'd likely discover substantially more people across all sexualities who would essentially loosely identify with the asexual community.

I'm not an asexual lesbian, but I took the survey since apparently it's not strictly for cisgender-monosexed-females who are homoromantic and asexual but I identify loosely enough with the vague standards; hope my input is appreciated.

Because lesbians in general are encouraged to be straight/bisexual; I tend to see more openly homosexual males than homosexual females, with homosexuality being pretty low in numbers anyway. Asexuality is even smaller, so getting a minority in a minority is probably why.

Then again, a lot of lesbians aren't all that sexual and they probably just aren't aware of asexuality. This goes for other sexualities as well. When you add on gray-asexual and demisexual, you'd likely discover substantially more people across all sexualities who would essentially loosely identify with the asexual community.

I'm not an asexual lesbian, but I took the survey since apparently it's not strictly for cisgender-monosexed-females who are homoromantic and asexual but I identify loosely enough with the vague standards; hope my input is appreciated.

I think that is a really good explanation. And thank you! It is so very appreciated! :) Thanks for helping out.

Hello darlings,

Thank you all who took the time to fill out the survey. I really really appreciate it. I have closed the survey since it has been a week up, but I will continue to do follow up interviews.

I really didn't have that many people sign up, so if you come upon this post late and really think you have something you want to add/you want to take it, just contact me and I'll see about opening it back up for a bit if there is time.

Thank you again!!!!

Sparkles,

LaChelle

Archived