What is your favourite branch of engineering?

What is your favourite branch of engineering?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite branch of engineering?

• Chemical engineering
    • Civil engineering
    • Computer engineering
    • Electrical engineering
    • Mechanical engineering
    • Systems engineering
    • Other engineering field
    • I love them all equally
    • I hate engineering!

Obvious follow up to this poll :)

For reference:

- Chemical engineering includes: biomolecular, molecular, materials and process engineering

- Civil engineering includes: environmental, geotechnical, structural and transport engineering

- Computer engineering includes: hardware, software and network engineering

- Electrical engineering includes: electric, optical and power engineering

- Mechanical engineering includes: aerospace, acoustical, manufacturing and thermal engineering

- Systems engineering includes most of the engineering fields that were left out in the others, such as agricultural, biological, energy, industrial, nano, nuclear engineering...

The poll follows this list for the most part.

Mine is computer engineering (of course). What is yours?

Mecanical Engineering(Especially Locomotive Engineering)

To build a great steam locomotive is more art than science.

I like electrical and mechanical engineering in one project, but I have to say mechanical is my favorite. I currently make robots on a FIRST Tech Challenge team. Most engineers find it pretty cool, so here's a link if any of you want to check it out: http://www.usfirst.org/

Lambda Corvus

I'm going to go with computer engineering, for a few selfishly science-biased reasons.

I. I have never had the (dis?)pleasure of formally teaching a computer engineer in the academic setting, whereas my perceptions of the characters of the remaining enumerated engineering disciplines has been negatively coloured. Although, given my experience teaching computer science students, I hazard a guess that my negative perceptions extend to the average student in general.

A. In principle, it would be much easier to teach abstract computer science concepts to computer engineers, because of their concrete training in the fundamentals of the discipline. This holds for programming languages too; once a person understands the fundamental principles of one language, many other languages become infinitely easier to learn.

II. Computer science is my field of study. As engineering is the natural application and optimisation of scientific results, I am compelled to choose the engineering discipline which may or may not be able to temper the raw and untamed results of my abstract findings.

III. ...

Kind of a mixed bag. My hobby is computer engineering, I work in mechanical engineering, and I intend to study civil engineering. So, many but not all of the above.

I checked "computer engineering," though I've more interest towards the "computer science" side than "practical computer engineering." For a more "hands-on, building stuff" side, I suppose I'd pick electrical engineering.

I love how computer engineering alone got almost half of the overall votes. (Who dared vote that they hate engineering? :P)

I like the theoretical side as well, although getting my hands on code is even more interesting.

KumatoraKazooie

Computer engineering, I even have a bachelor's degree in game and simulation programming!

• 4 months later...

I'd say I love them all equally... But I have a favorite in mechanical engineering, I want to become a weapons engineer so it's also my path I follow :P

Janus the Fox
Hmm... Generally Computer Engineering or Computer System Engineering is of most intrigue to me. The art of passing information from one place to the next more specifically. It's because I'm probably biased because computers are my life. :p
Calligraphette_Coe

Systems Engineering, because it allows you to converge technologies and disciplines in the most fascinating of ways. (That, and it's kept food on the table though bad times and good.)

I also like structural engineering.

Has anyone gotten their PE license yet? I don't know if being a PE is big in other fields, but it's mandatory for moving up in CivE. I'm just curious since my workplace is offering refresher courses and I'm eligible to take the exam in about a year and a half.

• 2 years later...
J. van Deijck

Oh God... I know this is an old thread, but I just had to.

I LOVE ENGINEERING. Every possible kind of engineering. :wub:

I personally work as an electrician (well, ekhm... I'm a manufacturer who makes your trains run), but my actual education level is an IT technician (I am certified in computer science and I have a diploma).

GEOTHERMAL *rock intensifies*

I tried to be edgy and voting I hate all engineering (seems I wasn't the only one). I am actually indifferent, but appreciate it in its entirety.

Anthracite_Impreza

Mechanical of course.

I'm literally a coder. Computer.

J. van Deijck
12 minutes ago, SapphireDelvai said:

Computer. I eagerly await the day that engineering gets to the point that I can control humans with my smart phone

Come on, it's easy.

Although I study chemistry, I don't really like Chemical Engineering. I usually don't even like Engineering at all, but Biomedical Engineering seems to have very interesting themes.

I'm gunning for the aerospace degree. It's more or less the same as mechanical, though, with a few variations toward the end. Computer/electrical is very cool too.

Archived