A quick google search on pages that link to AVEN

Live R Perfect

Live R Perfect

http://left2right.typepad.com/main/2005/03...ill_we_let.html (New Link) have the following article / rant:

March 30, 2005
REVEALED! IMPLICIT STATE SANCTION FOR HOMOSEXUALITY!
J. David Velleman: March 30, 2005

New York magazine recently ran a piece on asexuals: people who feel no sexual attraction to anyone. Asexuals are now represented by an organization, The Asexual Visibility And Education Network, whose website is at asexuality.org. The organization's sells T-shirts with the slogan "ASEXUALITY: IT'S NOT JUST FOR AMOEBAS ANYMORE".

According to the article:

[M]any asexuals are in happy but nonsexual relationships and ... most identify themselves as either “gay-A” or “straight-A,” homosexual or heterosexual in their albeit nonsexual attraction. Though they don’t experience sexual attraction, most asexuals do have romantic attraction and a desire for emotional intimacy.

After interviewing two asexuals, Jay and Amanda, the reporter sums up as follows:

Though there are obvious similarities between asexuals and other sexual minorities like gays and lesbians, both Jay and Amanda are quick to point out the differences. “The whole idea of pride is different for us,” says Jay, “because we’re not being told to be ashamed of being asexual. We’re not told it’s dirty or wrong. We’re told it’s impossible.”

“I don’t think we’re ever going to have a parade,” says Amanda. “This is something people want to know for themselves because it explains who you are to you. It offers such an amazing peace of mind to know there’s a reason that I feel the way I feel. To know that I am different, but other people are different in the same way.”

Those who think that homosexuality is immoral because it's unnatural, and unnatural because it's contrary to evolution -- they must think that asexuality is immoral for the same reason. Right? And those who think that the purpose of marriage is to limit sexual activity to couples prepared for parenting -- they must think that marriage should be barred to asexuals. Right? But wait. Asexuals are allowed to marry. That means the state sanctions asexuality. Right?

Right -- but not in same-sex couples.

http://www-hsl.mcmaster.ca/tomflem/sexual.html have a link to us (at the bottom of the list) (New Link)
http://botw.org/new/Society/01202005.cfm (New Link) also link to us under 'Sexuality - Activities and Practices'

http://www.warwickboar.co.uk/boar/science/...ng_neither_way/ (New Link) have the following article:

Swinging neither way

Written by Richard Harvey
Last updated: Tue Oct 26 04:44:21 2004
EmailPrint1 comment

Heterosexual, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transexual and undefined. But is there a group still being overlooked? Richard Harvey investigates asexuality

Until very recently, the concept of asexuality in science has applied solely to asexual reproduction, for example - bacteria dividing to produce two daughter cells that are identical. Reproduction carried out by one individual in short.

Previously, anyone with a low or no sex drive or calling themselves asexual was described as having 'hypoactive sexual desire' in psychology text books and treated as unwell - often a low sex drive was associated with depression. But is it a disorder if some of these people live happy lives without sex and even pursue successful, if platonic, relationships?

A small number of people are now defining themselves as asexual defined as 'a person who does not experience sexual attraction' without also describing themselves as sexually dysfunctional, nor are they celibate abstaining from sexual activity. And since recent studies have been published these individuals can no longer be dismissed as biological anomalies. In fact, AVEN (the Asexual Visibility and Education Network) boasts and ever-increasing 1200 asexual members since its founding in 2001.

For the first time people are using asexuality as a sexual orientation on its own, not as a disorder. The problem with this is that it is difficult to characterise - could it be a state of extremely low sex drive and at the bottom of a scale of sexual interest? These people would likely have an innate, but suppressed orientation. Or is it another addition to the well studied states of hetero-, homo - and bi-sexuality?

There is also a great deal of diversity among those who call themselves asexual. Some experience physical arousal, and in the case of men can maintain an erection and some masturbate, but never experience the desire to do anything sexual with another person. Others never feel the need to get close to other people at all, and some feel a preference for men or women, but only in an emotional capacity.

It is this diversity that is causing debate in the scientific community over whether asexuality is a true sexual orientation or not. Another cause of confusion is the lack of any detailed scientific investigation into the concept. A study in the 1980s on rats and gerbils showed that 12 percent of a tested population had no interest in females; however it was not tested if this disinterest was due to attraction to other males.

A series of studies on sheep in the 1990's in Oregon State University, Portland, USA revealed further information. Rams were placed in enclosures with ewes on 18 different occasions and most mounted the ewes at any given opportunity, however approximately ten percent did not show any interest in the females.

These were then placed in enclosures with both a ram and a ewe to test 'interest' in either sex, some were more interested in other rams, but around two percent showed no interest in either sex. They were asexual, and this preference remained in tests the following year.

Yet this is not clear proof of asexuality in mammals it is very dangerous indeed to compare sexual behaviour in sheep to that of humans. But recent reports such as those made by the Kinsey Institute, USA have provided further information. A survey was made to test the theory that sexual arousal was dependant on two factors: sexual excitation and inhibition. The survey was carried out on 1146 people, of whom 41 were identified as asexual they had lower scores for sexual desire, excitation, and ability to be aroused but had similar scores for inhibition as non-asexuals.

The study concluded that there were a number of people who had little or no sex drive without unusual signs of sexual inhibition and who also were as sexually experienced as others.

Importantly, this study did not set out to investigate asexuality and was carried out mainly on psychology students under 25. More data and more investigation are vital to provide information for an informed decision for people to decide for themselves whether or not asexuality is a true sexual orientation. For the 1200 members at AVEN and others around the world, however, I suspect this is a step towards the confirmation of the sexual orientation they are already living.

For more information see the AVEN website at www.asexuality.org

http://www.talk2kids.net/Links.html (New Link) have a link under 'Sexuality'

http://www.searchbug.com/directory.aspx/So...s_of_Sexuality/ (New Link) rank us sixth on the list of popular 'Politics of Sexuality' sites

http://www.earthmoms.com/directory/Society...ality/Celibacy/ (New Link) have a link to us under 'Celibacy'

http://www.reversi.se/odp/Society/Sexuality/Celibacy/ (New Link) also list us under 'Celibacy'

http://www.bigletterlist.net/w/a/Asexual.htm (New Link) also have a link (underneath all the books and videos about having a better sex life)

http://www.barabing.org/friendssupport.html (Binghamton Area Rainbow Association) have a prominent link to us

http://www.creative-minds.info/Lorelei/Relationships.htm (New Link) (page about people with Asperger's) has a link under the 'Sex' section

http://www.exgaywatch.com/blog/archives/sexual_orientation/ (New Link) have a blog entry about the New Scientist article and a link to us

2013 Mod Edit: For future reference:

Science Study Boosts Asexual Pride Movement
October 14th, 2004 Mike Airhart

“LONDON, England (CNN) — About one percent of adults have absolutely no interest in sex, according to a new study, and that distinction is becoming one of pride among many asexuals. …
“It was published in the latest issue of The Journal of Sex Research and is the focus of a report in this Saturday’s issue of New Scientist.”
The New Scientist report notes that the percentage of asexuals is comparable to the percentage of people who are gay — three percent — though quantification of gays varies depending on whether sexual attraction, sexual behavior, or sexual self-labeling are being surveyed.
This is not the first study to uncover a significant number of asexuals:
“A 1994 survey, published by The University of Chicago Press, found that 13 percent of 3,500 respondents had no sex in the past year. Forty percent of those people said they were extremely happy or very happy with their lives.”

For more information:
Asexual Visibility and Education Network

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Asexual (New Link) have a page of information and a link to AVEN along with some other articles and the asexualove.net site.

The above list is just the first two pages of the search! If you want to look into it further then use this link: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&l...org/discussion/

Yes, thank you.

The second quote reminds me of one important reason why I like asexuality.

Such phrases like "The problem with this is. . .", "difficult to categorize. . .", "whether asexuality is a true sexual orientation or not. . .", "it is very dangerous indeed to compare sexual behaviour in sheep to that of humans. . .",

It shows that people (in this case sexual naysayers and bigots) get accustomed to their values, and often these values serve no moral practicality, but only as an affirmation of one's schema.

If something is different, the common human response is to find the "problem" with it, seek to "categorize" it in such a way as to fit with one's schema, determine a proper label for it to give it a place in the schema ("sexual orientation"), and describe differences as "dangerous".

In order to accept asexuality, I believe, one must stand aside from his values and allow things in gerneral to be uncategorizable and without label or name. One must, in a sense, be able to transcend everything she/he believes.

The opposition to things that do not have relation to oneself or one's value system is a manifestation of one's fear of death, like settlers in a new land whose lack of civilization cannot accommodate them, there is an opportunity for a spiritual awareness of a world that does not need them or their values, in which people as social entities are meaningless and totally unimportant. The recognition of my own asexuality has been liberating, therefore, in a more general way.

Live R Perfect

From page 11 of the google search:

http://www.somethingcool.ca/backissues/031...econdary103.htm

The UnGeneration

Gabrielle Bauer writes for Saturday Night magazine, a National Post monthly. In the February 2005 issue, the reporter wrote an article called “Un is In” which explored how “the abnormal has become the new normal”. Bauer examined how unbelievers, unschoolers, apoliticals and, yes, you guessed it, asexuals had become more prominent in our modern society and why this was happening now. Bauer suggests we should not be so surprised to see these “un-types” rising in numbers.

“Asexuals and anarchists and atheists and a-fill-in-the-blanks have always existed; we just used to call them by different names: heretics, riff-raff and losers,” Gabrielle writes. “Do-not chic is a perfect way to sidestep this historical uber-calamity of being out of the loop – to turn uncool into cool. It’s Revenge of the Nerds writ large.”

These “nerds” are becoming a force to reckon with. According to a Brock University study, 1 in 100 people feel no sexual attraction towards, well, anyone. “In Canadian terms,” Bauer writes, “that translated into more than 200,000 people with no urge to merge. Asexual revolution indeed.”

With numbers like that, you’d think more people would know a little bit more about them, but alas the asexuals, while apparently growing in numbers, are still relegated to outskirts of obscurity. When I asked a friend what he thought of asexuals, he said, “Asexuals? You mean, like, frogs?”

I don’t how many people on the Asexual Visibility and Education Network (AVEN) would like being compared to amphibians, but there is something to what my friend was saying. It is well known that certain species of animal are asexual. What is lesser known is that there is a human breed as well, as the 3057 registered users on the AVEN forum can attest. These people run the demographic gamut, too - one poster on the forums is only 15, while others are in their fifties and sixties.

So who are these people? Their stories vary, but all contain a single, binding thread: the realization that they were all somehow different. AVEN member “Otley” recently discovered the forum and posted a bit of his story on there: “I am 45 years of age and have been married for 14 years and have 3 children. I have never been interested in sex and only did it because I thought it was the right thing to do. My wife and I have for years argued about the subject but it was only recently that we talked long enough to realize that something was wrong. A while later I saw an article in the newspaper about asexuality and the pattern of my life seemed to fall into place. I am still struggling mentally with this but I am sure it will help reading what other people have gone through.”

Another young female AVEN member posted her situation: “I'm 17 - nearly 18 - and I have heard about asexuality about 3 years ago and if I am honest with myself it has always been at the back of my mind. I am a virgin and although I have had loads of crushes I have never come close to having sex with a guy, the idea of a guy's naked body actually repulses me.”

Unfortunately, she finds the idea of a girl’s naked body even more repulsing. So what is she to do? She posts concerns about telling her family and what the future has in store for her in a life without sex. Fellow members immediately posted their support: “We *are* here for you. Just hang out awhile, read as much as you want to, post questions or your input anywhere you like, have some fun. Give yourself a little time to get comfortable here, and hopefully after awhile, you'll get a little more comfortable with yourself. We're a very supportive bunch and I'm happy you're in our midst!”

She’ll need the support too; many people – even homosexuals – have trouble with the idea of asexuality. Not only does it seem unnatural, but to some, the idea is just downright illogical. AVEN member “pkkennedy”, a Native Canadian, attempted to explain the logic. “I've never wanted sex with men ever since I was about 10 and saw a diagram of the act in a medical encyclopedia, and decided then that it looked like it HURT!” she wrote on the forum. “And it served no purpose if you didn't want to have babies. Lord knows I come from a family where there are plenty of babies already!”

Still, there are many who remain unconvinced and you can always count on some Christian fundamentalists to be in that group. “MrProtestant”, a member on the Christiantiy.com forums, likened asexuality to, surprise, surprise, something bad. “Asexuality may be a great ‘blessing’ to life-long hardcore celibates such as popes, monks, nuns, bishops, archbishops, and a few other Christians...but for the most part...it is a CURSE. Think about it. No sex, no sexual desire, no children, no desire for a wife, no desire for sexual passion...a pretty scary thought! People who think asexuality is a good thing must first read Song of Solomon. God thinks sex is a blessing and a good thing, as long as you only practice it in marriage with a member of the opposite sex. Not wanting to have sex is probably one of the worst curses someone could have.”

But another Christian member on the forum stood up for the Asexual Revolution. “You only think that, mrprotestant, because you yourself have sexual desire, if you're asexual it’s not like your missing anything, if you've never felt something how can you miss it? Saying you think the thought of not wanting sex is a curse, is like me saying to someone who doesn't like chocolate it’s a curse you don't like chocolate, because it tastes so good'. It doesn't make any sense. Chocolate only tastes good if you like it.”

“Andy M”, another Christianity.com forum member, disagrees. “Our sexuality is a gift from God,” he writes. “Without it, it's pretty difficult to ‘go forth and multiply’ as He told us. Remember, temptation in and of itself isn't evil, only acting upon it is wrong. Besides if we weren't tempted by sex certainly there would be something else that we would have to struggle with. The less we struggle with sin, temptation, and life's difficulties, the easier it is to become complacent. When Jesus spoke of it being difficult for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God, you don't think he was only talking about a man wealthy in terms of money do you?”

An AVEN forum member reacted to the Christianity.com posts: “They seemed a lot more accepting than I expected. Except the guy that quoted Genesis. Does anyone else get the idea that with 6 and change billion people we've gone forth and multiplied enough?” Another AVEN member suggested that asexuality was created by God as a form of population control once the earth got too full. “That’ll be a brain-breaker for the Christians!”

Indeed, like homosexuality and same-sex marriage, the debate about asexuality can turn into another classic us. vs. them battle. Which is hardly unexpected – in this current world climate where we can actually start to be honest about who we are and how we feel without fear of being literally crucified or sent to the back of the bus, people on both sides aren’t going to be shy telling others how they feel. This will either further ostracize or vindicate one side, but either way, the debate isn’t over and it seems the “a-types”, in whatever denomination, are here to stay.

At least the asexuals don’t all take themselves too seriously. Asexual AVEN member “ciijay”, in response to the “go forth and multiply” Christian argument, said we should just chill out: “Maybe He just meant get your ass to math class.”

Archived