ithaca

Have you ever considered running for Mod/PT/DT? **The Encouragement Thread**

Sage Raven Domino

I talked with the ladyfriend tonight about it and she's on the fence, but has given a tentative ok, so yeah, I'd be up for it. :)

Thank you :wub: She must know by now how important AVEN is to you, and she'll let you frequent the place that you love! Fingers crossed good_luck.gif

• Like 3

Sage Raven Domino

Closing thoughts regarding the World Watch election starting today...

Hmm, I think I'm going to make my own list of Members I feel should run for future elections.

-DeltaX

-Hobbes!

-Tja

-Kelico

-Reiko/ Honey-Senpai/ SkyWorld

Maybe a bias towards Musings and Rantings posters? Maybe :P I have no idea why I have such a bias there :rolleyes:

Really? I don't really consider myself mod material. :redface:

There are very few forums that I would even feel comfortable modding. Maybe I will reconsider it if one of those forums opens up, but for now I am fine with just being a regular member. Thanks for your vote of confidence though!! :)

Also, I would like to second the rest of your list. I have no idea if any of them are interested in modship, but I think a lot of them would make excellent mods or PT members!

Dear deltaX, I've found out that you're one of the few people who've been reading WW regularly lately (unlike myself) and are generally eligible for running. Would you feel comfortable modding it? ;)

If not, let me know and if there's a shortage of volunteers for WW, I'll drop a line of encouragement to WhenSummersGone, also a solid poster who appears there frequently (can also serve as a good mod elsewhere, but I think the competition will be much easier for WW).

deltaX

Closing thoughts regarding the World Watch election starting today...

Hmm, I think I'm going to make my own list of Members I feel should run for future elections.

-DeltaX

-Hobbes!

-Tja

-Kelico

-Reiko/ Honey-Senpai/ SkyWorld

Maybe a bias towards Musings and Rantings posters? Maybe :P I have no idea why I have such a bias there :rolleyes:

Really? I don't really consider myself mod material. :redface:

There are very few forums that I would even feel comfortable modding. Maybe I will reconsider it if one of those forums opens up, but for now I am fine with just being a regular member. Thanks for your vote of confidence though!! :)

Also, I would like to second the rest of your list. I have no idea if any of them are interested in modship, but I think a lot of them would make excellent mods or PT members!

Dear deltaX, I've found out that you're one of the few people who've been reading WW regularly lately (unlike myself) and are generally eligible for running. Would you feel comfortable modding it? ;)

If not, let me know and if there's a shortage of volunteers for WW, I'll drop a line of encouragement to WhenSummersGone, also a solid poster who appears there frequently (can also serve as a good mod elsewhere, but I think the competition will be much easier for WW).

I haven't actually been reading WW regularly lately... I do like WW and I think it might be fun to mod in theory, but given that I don't actually visit it that much it would be a lot of extra reading for me. I'm about to start research this summer and am not sure I want to commit to more responsibility here because of that. Perhaps I will go for it if it opens again in the future, but right now I don't know that I can. :/
  • Like 4

Sage Raven Domino

Oh OK, good luck with your research! :cake:

deltaX

Oh OK, good luck with your research! :cake:

Thanks! And thank you for your vote of confidence in my ability to be a mod, even if I had to turn it down. :cake:

You did pick the right forum for me by the way- Even though I haven't been reading it very often lately, if I was going to go for anything that's about to open, I would chose WW. :)

• Like 7

Kisa needs a latte

I think STAB should run again

I believe Cavy would be a most excellent co-mod for JFF

Larien should also run.

ithaca

I believe Cavy would be a most excellent co-mod for JFF

Larien should also run.

And Skycaptain again!

• Like 3

Skycaptain

ithaca, yes I am planning to stand at the next election, but in PPS and announcements. There is someone I know IRL who is planning to stand in jff and I have every confidence that they will do a good job there.

• Like 8

deltaX

Also, I would like to put in a suggestion for Hadley to run again if you're at all interested in being a mod. You were a really good candidate when you were running for A/ro, and I think you'd make a great mod! :)

• Like 4

Splatacus

I was going to post saying Skycaptain should run again, but you seem to have already reached that conclusion :)

• Like 2

SkyWorld

I really want to bring this back. Though now, I guess it would also be an encouragement thread for mod, PT, and DT. :D

I hope that everyone in previous elections in all three positions still consider running again or maybe give other positions a try. As well as ex-mod/pt would consider running again in the future. It's always nice to have some fresh members of the team. :)

• Like 2

deltaX

I'm glad you brought this back Honey, this is a good thread!

I would say that everyone from the last declass election should consider running again. I think there were some really great candidates, and I was sad we could only take two of you. :cake:

• Like 2

Grace Barton

Most of the people I would have nominated to be mods already are, so that's a good sign. :)

• Like 3

Blitzentan

Was wondering if this would ever be revived - not that anyone would ever make the suggestion to me (doesn't stop me though :) )

Member4445

Was wondering if this would ever be revived - not that anyone would ever make the suggestion to me (doesn't stop me though :) )

I think you'd make a most excellent moderator Tandragonthing :p <3

• Like 2

NerotheReaper

I would like to try to run next election :blush:

• Like 3

Serran

Unlocked

Guest And Peggy

I want to run for mod when I've been on AVEN long enough.

Even though it'll be four months until I can run, I want to ask, does anyone think I'd make a good mod?

timewarp
8 hours ago, CakeSpadeAce said:

Even though it'll be four months until I can run, I want to ask, does anyone think I'd make a good mod?

That's great! Go ahead then by all means.

To be honest, I can only tell if someone makes a good mod once they are a mod, if at all. I would say the main questions to ask yourself are: 1. Do you have enough time on your hands to go through your forum everyday, handle reports etc.? 2. Do you manage to distance yourself from a discussion, especially when you strongly disagree?

• Like 1

I don't think I ever will. I'm not good enough to be a moderator, I get overwhelmed too easily, I couldn't be an authority figure, I couldn't even think of that...

SkyWorld

@Nai for DT!

• Like 2

Yangster
23 hours ago, CakeSpadeAce said:

Hard to say.  I happen to lean toward preferring adults as mods on a site like this.  That said, some of the adults on this site clearly never grew up, and some minors can be farther along in maturation for their age.

Let me ask you think: what do you think it means to be a leader?  Write a sentence, or write an essay.  Just tell me what you think leadership entails.

Guest And Peggy
34 minutes ago, Joe Parrish said:

Hard to say.  I happen to lean toward preferring adults as mods on a site like this.  That said, some of the adults on this site clearly never grew up, and some minors can be farther along in maturation for their age.

I think that, generally, most adults would be better at modding, but like you said, some minors are more mature. I think maturation should be much more important than age.

I think I'm pretty mature, as I like to talk about politics and current events and other stuff that the normal 13-year-old wouldn't be interested in. I don't know how accurate my judgment of my maturation is, though, as most people think of themselves as more mature/better than they actually are.

34 minutes ago, Joe Parrish said:

Let me ask you think: what do you think it means to be a leader?  Write a sentence, or write an essay.  Just tell me what you think leadership entails.

I'll have to think about this. Being a leader means a lot of things and has a lot of definitions. (I'll edit my post and put the sentence/essay in when I've written it)

Yangster
10 minutes ago, CakeSpadeAce said:

I think that, generally, most adults would be better at modding, but like you said, some minors are more mature. I think maturation should be much more important than age.

I think I'm pretty mature, as I like to talk about politics and current events and other stuff that the normal 13-year-old wouldn't be interested in. I don't know how accurate my judgment of my maturation is, though, as most people think of themselves as more mature/better than they actually are.

I'll have to think about this. Being a leader means a lot of things and has a lot of definitions. (I'll edit my post and put the sentence/essay in when I've written it)

I think it's worth noting that I was similar to you at my age.  I liked to discuss these things, and I was generally considered more mature than my classmates, for example.

That said, I realize there was a lot I was lacking in maturation even then.

Zerο

I'd prefer adults as moderators, if only because their schedules are a lot more stable (or should be at least).

Nai
1 hour ago, SkyWorld said:

@Nai for DT!

:blush::D

• Like 2

deltaX
14 hours ago, SkyWorld said:

@Nai for DT!

If there's a DT election anytime soon, I would second this! :) 

• Like 1