ithaca

Have you ever considered running for Mod/PT/DT? **The Encouragement Thread**

Sage Raven Domino

Hobbes!, DexM, ricecream-man, Serran and multiple others come to mind as members I think would be great candidates. :)

DexM and Serran have been brought up earlier itt, and I'm afraid they were both too busy elsewhere at the time (the end of 2013). Maybe their situation has changed (a whole year has passed), it never hurts to ask (PM them!), but I wouldn't be holding my breath :(

I fear the smooth running of AVEN would become ever so creaky if I really did go for it.

I would be like the geography teacher who was always off. The headmistress would come in to the class room and inform everyone:

"CLASS! Mr. DexM is off today. Again. Mrs. Tanwen will be your substitute teacher." I wouldn't turn up for work. Last weeks homework wouldn't have been marked and the rest of the faculty would have to come and clear up my mess and make sure no bad behaviour has been missed.

Even I did try to run, I am pretty sure that ithaca, Kelly and everyone else, are now quickly trying to work out ways to rig votes or shield my eyes from any up coming elections :lol:

I'm tempted to say Serran, eventough I know she got enough duties and use AVEN as a safehaven.

Hobbes! is a worthy prospective candidate indeed :) Ricecream-man will become such too on the 6-month anniversary of the account, which is the 21st of April.

It's hard to believe that so many prominent accounts that seem to have been on AVEN forever are less than 6 months old. For this reason I didn't mention e.g. whitesphere and Autumn Sunrise, who will become excellent prospective candidates when their accounts do turn 6 months (on June 2 and April 28, respectively).

• Like 5

WünderBâhr

I know. Votes of confidence are good to share, anyway. ^_^

• Like 3

Kisa needs a latte

I know. Votes of confidence are good to share, anyway. ^_^

Agreed.

So many good people mentioned (I have had my eye on rice-cream in a good way for example and it's good to see somebody else has noticed too)

• Like 5

DexM

Hobbes!, DexM, ricecream-man, Serran and multiple others come to mind as members I think would be great candidates. :)

DexM and Serran have been brought up earlier itt, and I'm afraid they were both too busy elsewhere at the time (the end of 2013). Maybe their situation has changed (a whole year has passed), it never hurts to ask (PM them!), but I wouldn't be holding my breath :(

I fear the smooth running of AVEN would become ever so creaky if I really did go for it.

I would be like the geography teacher who was always off. The headmistress would come in to the class room and inform everyone:

"CLASS! Mr. DexM is off today. Again. Mrs. Tanwen will be your substitute teacher." I wouldn't turn up for work. Last weeks homework wouldn't have been marked and the rest of the faculty would have to come and clear up my mess and make sure no bad behaviour has been missed.

Even I did try to run, I am pretty sure that ithaca, Kelly and everyone else, are now quickly trying to work out ways to rig votes or shield my eyes from any up coming elections :lol:

I'm tempted to say Serran, eventough I know she got enough duties and use AVEN as a safehaven.

Hobbes! is a worthy prospective candidate indeed :) Ricecream-man will become such too on the 6-month anniversary of the account, which is the 21st of April.

It's hard to believe that so many prominent accounts that seem to have been on AVEN forever are less than 6 months old. For this reason I didn't mention e.g. whitesphere and Autumn Sunrise, who will become excellent prospective candidates when their accounts do turn 6 months (on June 2 and April 28, respectively).

Thanks b.b. :wub:

I seem to remember being haunted by quite a large black cloud of depression at the time, and so my default mode is always to self-deprecate.

Sage Raven Domino

It's great to know that you're feeling better :wub: So will you please run for the Oldies + WW + WW archives in the re-election? ;)

• Like 1

LaMaestra

I ran for Mod on two previous occasions and didn't win so I've decided to retire. Especially as someone on here seems to have it in for me.

• Like 1

Sage Raven Domino

The thing is that you had strong opponents then. This time you'll probably have to beat only 'None of the above', which must be quite easy for you.

WünderBâhr

I ran for Mod on two previous occasions and didn't win so I've decided to retire. Especially as someone on here seems to have it in for me.

:c

Back in the wee AVEN days, when I first put in for Mod, I didn't win, either. We all shook hands and were good sports about it, mainly because the elections weren't about rewards or winning a competition. It was a lot more laid back, back then (the entire world of AVEN was a different landscape altogether!). It's about helping the community maintain itself as it evolves.

Questions I came out from my losses with (yes, there were several elections lost, and not all of them for mod) were: "did I do my best?" "what can I do to improve?" "what do I need/want to take away from this experience?" And sometimes, there are no introspective questions and losing just feels like poo. :c

People argue that mod elections are a popularity contest, and to some extent they are right. I think that for someone to entrust their vote of confidence, they have to feel the candidate is relatable, competent enough for the job and fair according to the expectations of that user. Or maybe they want someone more silly, or more strict... Aaand this is where that idea of popularity contest begins to flail..

There are so many factors, individual expectations from members, that a winning outcome has to be the result of more than who you know and favors you. There are also many other ways to contribute, as many of the well-thought out member replies in my fora have demonstrated to me. People (generally) also have the option of considering putting in to that turnip ring down the line. :) Maybe next time will be that right time, eh?

• Like 5

Sage Raven Domino

We all shook hands and were good sports about it, mainly because the elections weren't about rewards or winning a competition. It was a lot more laid back, back then (the entire world of AVEN was a different landscape altogether!). It's about helping the community maintain itself as it evolves.

I thought that's how it should be. Is it really different now? Why on earth?

I see elections as rather a qualification contest than a popularity battle. That said, making many posts per week (hence most likely vast recognition) is surely correlated with having a lot of free time (dedicated to AVEN), which means that the mod will be doing a better job than if they were busy elsewhere.

marki

It changed after world pride I feel like. Now it is a lot of PC stuff.

Kisa needs a latte

We all shook hands and were good sports about it, mainly because the elections weren't about rewards or winning a competition. It was a lot more laid back, back then (the entire world of AVEN was a different landscape altogether!). It's about helping the community maintain itself as it evolves.

I thought that's how it should be. Is it really different now? Why on earth?

I see elections as rather a qualification contest than a popularity battle. That said, making many posts per week (hence most likely vast recognition) is surely correlated with having a lot of free time (dedicated to AVEN), which means that the mod will be doing a better job than if they were busy elsewhere.

The biggest change happened after we got rid of the "members can't campaign for candidates" It used to be kinda fun to be like "GO X GO!!" in statuses and stuff. I think everyone still has a good attitude about their opponents though.

I don't know if I want to bring that back though.

DexM

It's great to know that you're feeling better :wub: So will you please run for the Oldies + WW + WW archives in the re-election? ;)

Ahhh, thank you. :wub: The Oldies has a very special place in my heart. However, I think Tanwen would be a very hard mod to follow. -_-

I have always wanted to give something back to AVEN. At that time, though quite ill, I did spend a lot of time on the site and was rarely away. Due to parent-commitments and an imminent work-starting-date, my time on AVEN has reduced significantly. But it's nice to know that there is some support out there and one day I may just throw my hat in the ring. :cake:

• Like 10

Tanwen

I don't think the admods would agree with you (about me being a tough act to follow) :lol: but it would be difficult to think of anyone better :) :cake: :cake:

• Like 2

Sage Raven Domino

...Well, Sally definitely knows about this thread, as witnessed by her past comment,

All of those who raised their hands/whose hands were raised above. And many more.

and even though she didn't reply to my PM, she must have read its title, so she knows that I've nominated her for a mod position, but she didn't show interest, so we can regard this as a 'no' :(

Hence it's time for me to suggest one more person whom I'd like to be a mod - in general - and it's OptimisticPessimist :blush:

Though she's young and known mostly for JFF/Arcade activity, she definitely has enough free time (judging by how fast her post count grows) and is very merry, kind and welcoming.

I don't think I'll suggest anyone else until after the next election is over; I feel that I'm not very good at guessing who of my picks will agree to run.

• Like 4

OptimisticPessimist

Thank You for the suggestion :)

After giving it a bit of thought, i think i won't put myself in this time as i don't frequent those areas much, and also i'm not sure on how you index things. I appreciate the suggestion.

• Like 1

5_♦♣

Sally doesn't do PMs.

• Like 2

Sage Raven Domino

I knew, but I think she did get a chance to read the title of the PM, 'Would you please run for a mod position?'. And anyway, being a mod requires dealing with PMs for sure, and I doubt that she'd agree to get used to them for this sake. But I tried. Anyone who has her other contact details is encouraged to ask her.

Sally

Thank you, Diamond, but I'm just too cranky. The other mods would ban me within a day! Besides, I

m really a Luddite; I can barely email.

• Like 2

ThaHoward

Rising Sun

Sage Raven Domino

+1!

Qutenkuddly

I ran three or four times at least.

• Like 2

Rising Sun

I agree, all would make great moderators !

Rising Sun

+1!

Thank you for thinking about me, I really appreciate it. But I'm looking for a full-time job since I opened an account here, my training just ended and I may have a job very soon (or I hope so, anyway). It would dramatically reduce my available time and considering that I'm a moderator on other forums, I don't think I would have enough time remaining, especially on a very large forum such as AVEN.

• Like 1

Sir_The_Last

Running for MOD would mean believing in a system that has its short comings... It is kinda a lesser of two evils..

For example the "none of the above" option :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If you are not social enough you will end up losing to said option which sucks!!! Losing because people rather have no one then you ... WOW that is the human spirit...

.Lia

Totally think ith and Pook need to come back <3 And I think Tja needs to stop avoiding the poking sticks :P

• Like 9

Steph Ace

Hmm, I think I'm going to make my own list of Members I feel should run for future elections.

-DeltaX

-Hobbes!

-DiamondAce

-Tja

-Kelico

-Reiko/ Honey-Senpai/ SkyWorld

Maybe a bias towards Musings and Rantings posters? Maybe :P I have no idea why I have such a bias there :rolleyes:

• Like 6

deltaX

Hmm, I think I'm going to make my own list of Members I feel should run for future elections.

-DeltaX

-Hobbes!

-DiamondAce

-Tja

-Kelico

Maybe a bias towards Musings and Rantings posters? Maybe :P I have no idea why I have such a bias there :rolleyes:

Really? I don't really consider myself mod material. :redface:

There are very few forums that I would even feel comfortable modding. Maybe I will reconsider it if one of those forums opens up, but for now I am fine with just being a regular member. Thanks for your vote of confidence though!! :)

Also, I would like to second the rest of your list. I have no idea if any of them are interested in modship, but I think a lot of them would make excellent mods or PT members!

• Like 2

Sage Raven Domino

-DeltaX

-Hobbes!

-DiamondAce

-Tja

-Kelico

Really? I don't really consider myself mod material. :redface:

:blush: Neither do I consider myself such: 1) I'm too authoritarian (like to set or remind of rules even when not appropriate and not asked for), 2) I'm not compassionate enough, 3) as a partial consequence of the two, my untold AVEN popularity rating is probably at an all-time low (i.e. negative).

Tja and deltaX have already declined :( (the former was nominated by me above).

Hobbes! was seconded by me above but has never stated his attitude. I thought it was the nominator's (bipolar bear's) responsibility to notify him. I'm too shy to PM people, you know.

SkyWorld and kelico look like decent candidates. The former, however, can only run starting from the 26th of May.

SkyWorld

-DeltaX

-Hobbes!

-DiamondAce

-Tja

-Kelico

Oh wow, really!? :o :D I was thinking that I could probably run for future elections, though I was afraid I might be a bit immature. :lol: Also DiamondAce is right, I haven't been here for 6 months just yet, though I believe I could start running on the 11th of May since it would be exactly 6 months from when I joined AVEN.

.Lia

-DeltaX

-Hobbes!

-DiamondAce

-Tja

-Kelico

Oh wow, really!? :o :D I was thinking that I could probably run for future elections, though I was afraid I might be a bit immature. :lol: Also DiamondAce is right, I haven't been here for 6 months just yet, though I believe I could start running on the 11th of May since it would be exactly 6 months from when I joined AVEN.

As long as your account is 6 months from the date that the election ENDS, you are eligible :)

• Like 4

Sage Raven Domino

Oh, thanks for the clarification! As election cycles start on Wednesdays and end in 18 days on Sundays, SkyWorld can run starting from the 27th of May (if, of course, someone steps down by then) because their 6-month AVENversary is on the 12th of June.

Speaking of, whitesphere (whom I pre-nommed above) will be able to run a week earlier, i.e. from the 20th of May (Wed) on.