Survey about asexuality, gender expression, and partner preference

Lord Happy Toast

gypsy_princess

there are always the same questions o.O

There were a lot of repeat questions, like about weight, winning, cleanliness, and whether or not it would bother me to be seen as gay.

Did I miss something on the last page? There wasn't any indication of what was wanted.

Also, some questions too USA-centric & as others have said, no 'not applicable' options. Poor survey, I thought.

And not a single empty text fields in the end to get to explain one's answers. This is going to be louse science, just saying. But well, I still hope some tolerable or even informatic results will emerge for the sake of humanity (and future sociologists) to understand us better.

apparentlyalone

Not a very well rounded survey in my opinion. The last page of scaling gender/sex identity wasn't explained very well. If we did a survey on that survey, I'm sure we would find that is an academically useless survey and holds little relativity due to the lack of diversity in available answer options.

I finished it -- the only bit that confused me was one of the sliding scales at the end, the "Nonsexed"/"Sexed" one -- unless you're intersexed, wouldn't it usually be all-or-nothing-? Like, completely female or completely male? And if not, then it would be hard to tell the percentage to which it's one or the other.

Why does it require one be 18 years of age or older to participate?

There are often stricter rules about collecting data from legal minors, either government-imposed or voluntarily adhered to by institutions doing surveys. Collecting data from minors about their sexual preferences is likely to require a much more paperwork-intense approval process for the survey data collectors.

There are often stricter rules about collecting data from legal minors, either government-imposed or voluntarily adhered to by institutions doing surveys. Collecting data from minors about their sexual preferences is likely to require a much more paperwork-intense approval process for the survey data collectors.

I figured as much, but this is the first time anyone's actually said why instead of just slapping an "18+" on. Thanks. :cake:

SpadeofAces

This is a college thesis requirement. It has to do with research ethics.

The section with the strongly disagree - strongly agree scale would really have benefitted from the inclusion of a 'not apllicable' and 'I don't know' option. The initial questions on ethnicity and education were very US-centric, and things like 'high school diploma' weren't explained, so it wasn't easy to find the equivalent for my country. As others have pointed out there wasn't an option for 'I don't want a romantic/sexual partner' on some of the questions where it would have been appropriate (such as 'When I have a romantic relationship I enjoy focusing my energies on it'.) The genderbread sliders at the end would have benefitted from some further explanation as well. I took the survey, but where there were a lot of instances where I felt like I had to choose an incorrect response because it was the least wrong. :/

Did the survey. I understand the logic behind repetitive questions but in this survey, there was a bit too much of repetition. Anyway, hope my votes help your research

Derp-D-Derp

The following survey has been approved for posting on AVEN by the Project Team. For more information on what this does and does not mean, please see the explanation of our rules for researchers

My name is Rachael McCrosky, and I am a second year Master's student in the Sociology Department at the University of Central Florida. I am conducting a study on asexuality and gender.

Past research

has raised questions about the impact a lack of sexual desire may have on gender expression and gender of partner preference. DeLuzio Chasin (2011:716) stated "It is possible that sexual attractiveness standards govern gender presentations and behaviors, and

that without the desire to attract a sexual partner, asexual people may have more freedom to explore their own genders".

It is my hope to explore the possible connection between sexual desire and gender expression by researching the gender expression and partner preferences of asexuals.

Survey Link: https://ucfcos.us2.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eX89fa096x5kUaV

Please, please, please ... have someone copyedit and proofread your survey before you turn it into a manuscript. It's painful for a proofreader with extreme OCD to read! (Ouch, just kidding)

confusedbutsure

erm..why is nationality a question? to check if asexuals are present in all countries, eh?

Mistoffelees

I got tired of the loaded or ambiguous questions and didn't finish.

"I feel attractive without make-up" -- I don't feel attractive or unattractive at all.

"I never wear make-up" -- I do, on stage when I'm in shows. But that's probably not what you're after.

"Wouldn't have sex unless ..." -- already mentioned.

"blah blah winning/losing" -- That's so vague. Winning a friendly bet? A game of Pictionary? A rated chess tournament? A lottery? A job offer? An auction? All very different to me. The survey might as well be asking how I feel about "success" in general.

wearestardust

one of the questions was "would you be ashamed to have a one night stand?". And I had to answer that I strongly disagreed which makes it look like I would have a one night stand... when I would (obviously) not because I'm not into sex, not because I would be ashamed of it. I sure would be surprised though...

WhenSummersGone

Done. I did feel the questions were repeated too much and I hope I answered them correctly. I think answering them only 3 times would have been better.

• 1 year later...

Archived