Asexual superheroes

That asexual guy

depends really, because superheroes don't really exist and are just creations of writers and other people, it's up to the writer what orientation they make the superhero. sadly often characters aren't simply made something outside heterosexual unless another orientation is a key plot point.

Bruce Wayne! :)

Sure he was a ladies man but was he really? He if had to pick between a lady and a criminal, guess who he picks? Sure he could be simply celibate but I don't think so.

Hes not a super either, not sure if he counts.

I could see an argument being made for Bruce Wayne being asexual (on the grounds of him not emotionally connecting, and generally treating sex like part of the mask he wore/possible treating sex as a chore), but I'm not entirely sure that's accurate, either. It sort-of depends on who's writing him at the time, and often has more to do with his obsession over being Batman than a lack of interest in sex. Because truthfully, Bruce lacks an interest in life.

Uh, another potential asexual comic book character might be the Martian Manhunter; partially because he an alien, and partially because I think his race itself is probably Demisexual. They put a huge emphasis on bonding and connections, so I could see them forming more secondary sexual attractions than primary sexual attractions -- especially when you throw in the ability to shape-shift into anyone/anything; sort of makes the entire idea of secondary sexual attractions more important. Miss Martian, also, under that theory could be considered asexual though there's a lot of her being written in emotional relationships so she's probably a romantic asexual, gray-a, or demisexual.

Depending on the writer, Wonder Woman could probably be considered asexual; again, romantic asexual (and one probably willing to have sex as part of a relationship), but it's never seemed to be as big of a motivation for her as it has been for other characters.

Hawkman's either Demisexual or just really, really, really hung up on his dead wife, or both. :)

Those are the only examples I can think of off-hand, but then my area of knowledge is limited to DC (so Marvel's still wide-open for opinions), and I also just woke up, so I may think of some later.

Sure he was a ladies man but was he really? He if had to pick between a lady and a criminal, guess who he picks? Sure he could be simply celibate but I don't think so.

I would agree with this but he sleeps with catwoman, talia al'ghul, the huntress, and of course wonder woman....so really batman was the all time player of the JLA

I could see an argument being made for Bruce Wayne being asexual (on the grounds of him not emotionally connecting, and generally treating sex like part of the mask he wore/possible treating sex as a chore), but I'm not entirely sure that's accurate, either. It sort-of depends on who's writing him at the time, and often has more to do with his obsession over being Batman than a lack of interest in sex. Because truthfully, Bruce lacks an interest in life.

Uh, another potential asexual comic book character might be the Martian Manhunter; partially because he an alien, and partially because I think his race itself is probably Demisexual. They put a huge emphasis on bonding and connections, so I could see them forming more secondary sexual attractions than primary sexual attractions -- especially when you throw in the ability to shape-shift into anyone/anything; sort of makes the entire idea of secondary sexual attractions more important. Miss Martian, also, under that theory could be considered asexual though there's a lot of her being written in emotional relationships so she's probably a romantic asexual, gray-a, or demisexual.

Depending on the writer, Wonder Woman could probably be considered asexual; again, romantic asexual (and one probably willing to have sex as part of a relationship), but it's never seemed to be as big of a motivation for her as it has been for other characters.

Hawkman's either Demisexual or just really, really, really hung up on his dead wife, or both. :)

Those are the only examples I can think of off-hand, but then my area of knowledge is limited to DC (so Marvel's still wide-open for opinions), and I also just woke up, so I may think of some later.

hawkeye sleeps with black widow more then once haha, if there are any ace super heroes i would say martian man hunter, or the question.

I would agree with this but he sleeps with catwoman, talia al'ghul, the huntress, and of course wonder woman....so really batman was the all time player of the JLA

Pretty sure Nightwing has him beat in terms of being the all-time player of the DCU! xD

It's either nightwing or green arrow lol. As far as marvel ace's...Magneto and Dr. Xavier...everyone else was a slut ;) haha.

We should make our own!! I don't know how their most epic battle would play out, though, since their beloved is usually kidnapped and they must rescue them.

If anyone is interested in exploring the idea of creating our own, should it be discussed in this thread or would y'all prefer I start a different one? I honestly thought this thread was for creating one when I saw the title.

Cortex -- I said Hawkman, not Hawkeye. ;) Hawkeye has been in several relationships (Black Widow, Mockingbird), and seems to enjoy sex. Hawkman believes that he was born only to love one woman - his wife - and that they are reincarnated to be together. Unfortunately for him, that never actually works out well - which is why I peg him as Demisexual. He seems utterly unintested in sex or relationships outside of that one woman. I'd also argue that in canon, Nightwing has slept with far more people than Green Arrow - who has actually spent most of his comic book existence in a monogamous relationship, and was then later retconned into being a man-slut (>.< Which I take issue with). So I don't actually consider him remotely in the running when (up until the New 52) I could count on one hand the number of women we actually saw Green Arrow trying to woo. Nightwing, on the other hand, had sex with an ex-girlfriend when he showed up to give her an invitation to his wedding to someone else. I'm pretty sure that earns him the title. xD

Ponyo -- We should totally make our own! I vote we start a new thread for it. <3

Cortex -- I said Hawkman, not Hawkeye. ;) Hawkeye has been in several relationships (Black Widow, Mockingbird), and seems to enjoy sex. Hawkman believes that he was born only to love one woman - his wife - and that they are reincarnated to be together. Unfortunately for him, that never actually works out well - which is why I peg him as Demisexual. He seems utterly unintested in sex or relationships outside of that one woman. I'd also argue that in canon, Nightwing has slept with far more people than Green Arrow - who has actually spent most of his comic book existence in a monogamous relationship, and was then later retconned into being a man-slut (>.< Which I take issue with). So I don't actually consider him remotely in the running when (up until the New 52) I could count on one hand the number of women we actually saw Green Arrow trying to woo. Nightwing, on the other hand, had sex with an ex-girlfriend when he showed up to give her an invitation to his wedding to someone else. I'm pretty sure that earns him the title. xD

Ponyo -- We should totally make our own! I vote we start a new thread for it. <3

hah ahh okay i see now i was like "hawkeye aint no ace" at first, well nightwing was popular in the comics but as far as the JLA shows wen't he rarely made appearances. He was dick Grayson more then nightwing during the show lol, while they portrayed green arrow as the ladies man...i don't know why they did this...maybe so they didn't overshadow batman or something? I end this post with Martian Manhunter for president!! :P

Cortex -- It's an easy mistake! Too many bird names in comics, after all, and with the Avengers films Hawkeye is definitely the better known of the two! Yeah, no, I agree with you on Clint Barton not being an ace! Yeah, Nightwing didn't get much TV airtime, but he's a pretty major player within the comics themselves! Dick's the eldest sibling in the Batfam, and he was about the only one who could keep the (multiple) Robins who came after him from killing each other. :P As for Green Arrow, I blame it on writers wanting a reason for Black Canary to walk away from him without it looking like she was in the wrong, so they retconned him as being a man with wandering eyes and hands so that she could leave without seeming like a cold-hearted...well, you know. xD It's pretty choppily done, though, because from the moment he met Canary back in the fifties he was all about her, and at one point was begging her to settle down with him and marry him -- and then less than five years after that he was suddenly a womanizer. As for your last bit? Heck. Yes. J'onn J'onnz for President of the Asexual Superheroes Club! xDD

Is this comics only? I can think of a few asexual HEROES but the word superhero usually denotes comic books. I never read much comics, only manga, graphic novels and video game comics.

Piccolo from DBZ

Kakashi from Naruto

Master Chief

Prophet from Crysis

Ryu from SF (He just doesn't seem to care at all)

Doctor Strange?

Silver Surfer

Ishida from Bleach

Hakumen from BB

Martian Manhunter

It seems that most "asexual" fictional characters are either those who have lost their sexual impulses such as Master Chief, Prophet and Surfer. Those who cannot have intercourse anyway such as Piccolo. Those guys who just don't seem to care at all and are just too busy with themselves or other things such as Kakashi, Ryu and Ishida. Or straight up "freaks" like MMH and Hakumen.

There seems to be the idea that Captain America is demisexual but I dunno if that has merit and where it comes from.

D

einherjar81

Kakashi strikes me as celibate by choice.

Now Sasuke, there's the asexual.

There seems to be the idea that Captain America is demisexual but I dunno if that has merit and where it comes from.

D

I'd say it comes from his "all-american" 1940s ideals, etc. He's a gentleman and it's not really in his nature to do one-night-stands. That's probably where it comes from.

Magneto had Rogue, when her powers were still a block to any other man. And he has kids and he is linked to mystique and... yeah. Xavier is more paralyzed than anything, but he still had Moira and Lilandra and there was even an attempt at a him and Jean.

Wonder Woman seems quite happy with her sexual relationships and attraction seems pretty strong between her and her latest two lovers.

Batman has had Selena, Wonder Woman etc.. quite active sex life and seems to largely be based on attraction (especially catwoman).

I can't think of any. There are gentlemen (Captain America) and such, but I am not familiar with one that would count as lacking attraction. A few are very hung up on one woman (Cyclops had to be mentally ordered to move on by his dead wife), but I think that is more the whole "true love" thing.

Rorschach from Watchmen is like 1000% asexual

Qutenkuddly

So is Dr. Manhattan.

I think (in regards to DC characters), a great deal depends on who is writing the character. A different writer means a different perspective, a different approach, and different character motivations. Under a writer a character can be one thing, and under another it can be something else.

I think (in regards to DC characters), a great deal depends on who is writing the character. A different writer means a different perspective, a different approach, and different character motivations. Under a writer a character can be one thing, and under another it can be something else.

That is the same with any character, comic or TV show or novel. :)

depends really, because superheroes don't really exist and are just creations of writers and other people, it's up to the writer what orientation they make the superhero. sadly often characters aren't simply made something outside heterosexual unless another orientation is a key plot point.

Ultimately, this is true. It depends on the writer and what they want to do with the characters. The weirder the writer (this is why Brits like Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis and Alan Moore are my favorite) and the more liberal the editor, the more likely the topic of fluid and full-spectrum sexuality is to be explored. Hell, Alan Moore once wrote an issue of Swamp Thing poetically and beautifully describing the experience of the title character, a being made entirely of vegetable matter, having sex with a human female. Asexuality is NOT too taboo for comics, given the right circumstances. Usually, I find Vertigo (DC's mature, non-superheroes imprint) and Marvel are better at diversity and cool concepts than DC's more conservative superhero line.

Yes, my avatar is Fantomex, a mutant created in the Weapons Plus program who has multiple brains and therefore multiple personalities which are now housed in three separate clones of himself, glad you asked!

Some characters are more likely to invite wide-ranging interpretation than others. Clones, cyborgs, and aliens are all much more interesting for just this reason. As for Batman, I think most modern writers treat him as if he's a sexually active asexual, where he doesn't experience any attraction to women or men at all but continues to bed starlets to keep his image as Bruce Wayne, millionaire playboy, intact. The "Bruce Wayne" personae is a ruse he created to throw people who might discover his secret identity, he is truly Batman and lives to wage war on crime but has to maintain the character of a feckless, horny, lunk-headed, albeit well-meaning trust-fund baby so that no one suspects. Sleeping with women is part of this charade.

• 2 weeks later...

I had kinda hoped to see this mentioned by now, but, I guess it would be considered obscure. You guys seem to be talking more about traditional comics. But, if you're looking for a strong, asexual hero, well, it kinda ruins the reveal but it's necessary for the topic and it's never really a secret. It's a case of if you consider web comics to count, but, the protagonist of Supernormal Step, FIona Dae, is an asexual-aromantic. It's an extremely good webcomic and - probably only split between one other - my favorite I've ever read or heard of. --WHAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE CONSIDERED MINOR SPOILERS STARTS-- She's a very fleshed out, real character, and you really get to go along with her as she deals with the issues in her life, both supernatural and mundane. What's interesting is, the author says he decided she was asexual from chapter one. We don't find out until chapter 10 because, well, it just never came up until then. It wasn't waved around as a mark of "look how creative and unique my character is", it's just part of who she is.

There are two caveats to this, one weaker and one stronger. The weaker is that part of her character is she's dealing with a lot of personal social issues and has general difficulty opening up and connecting with others, despite her loneliness. The idea has been tossed about that her asexuality may or may not be a component of this. That said, evidence so far suggests that, no, she probably always was. The way she describes it makes it seem pretty clear.

Which is the second caveat. There was a reveal that I thought was really well done when she had to deal with someone else's feelings. It was moving and dramatic and went into what her feelings were about it and how it affects how it relates to others. However, several pages later, she actually stands up, almost posing, and clearly yells out "I'm an aromantic asexual". Which is...kind of blunt. There's nothing wrong with that proclamation, but, it was jarring from a story perspective. Though maybe now I'm just complaining because I wasn't a fan of that move. The only real fear it creates is a labeling issue. You know what I mean? A character has a unique trait about them, it's just one facet of their complex being, but, it comes out strong and that's now how they're identified. I don't think she should be "The Asexual Heroine." or "that asexual girl with the magic", but I'm afraid that after coming out so bold some people might latch onto it. She should just be herself. She's Fiona Dae, she's a lot of things, she loves music and movies, she has issues with stress and socializing, she's good with survival skills, she's asexual, and she dyes her hair blue. A human being. Generally though the story handles it very well.

I highly, highly recommend giving it a read. I mean, it's free, how can you beat that? And it's even better than a lot of the comics out there you'd pay for.

So is Dr. Manhattan.

And they neatly exemplify the difference between repulsed and indifferent aces, to boot. :)

Batman's Ace

I'm going to vote for Bruce Wayne again. He's conveniently asexual, heterosexual, or homosexual, depending on the writer, and I prefer to limit myself to the asexual Bruce. I haven't yet spotted a hero with more variations to storyline (I'm sure there is one, I just don't know about it), so basically we can accept whatever we want and discard the rest and nobody can say we got it wrong.

• 1 month later...

And not only that, he is also quite a big misogynist and homophobe.

I also think that Tim Drake can be considered to be asexual, (or at least I've always viewed him that way).

There's a joke that Bruce Banner has to be celibate at the very least, because the moment he tried to get frisky with anyone, well... Would not end well. Same with any superhero with explosive, uncontrollable powers like that, most likely.

But hmm... This is a good question. Agreed on Rorshach, but are there any other superheros who have absolutely never had a romantic or sexual partner before? I'm betting they would have to be a minor one. Comic Book industry is too sex-crazed for a main character to go without a love interest or fifteen.

Not sure if he qualifies but Crimson Bolt from Super?

It is a fun movie and he doesn't seem to respond to sexual hints.

The Tick

SPOON!!!

Archived