Where does your username come from?

gypsy_princess

Contrary to what most believe, Lia is not my real name :P When I was 18 or 19 I was sick of using "Lizzie" as a penname because it was so popular, so I took my middle name, Elizabeth, and dropped the E and Z and came up with Lia Beth :) My name on here was Lia Beth for a while but I got sick of being called "Beth" so I kept it to Lia or some variation ever since :)

ObsessedWithCats

I make dolls. Scary ones.

As I've got older I've come to believe that there is no other kind of doll.

• Like 1

I'm very original

I took it from my brother

Who simply added a "2" to the name

Who got that from a friend

Who got that from god knows where

And it just stuck

WhenSummersGone

My username is a song from Blue (English band). I guess when I joined I really liked this band, still do, so I wanted to show that somehow.

ShockTrance

My username is a corruption of SocTrans, which is a shortened version of my older handle SocialTranslucency. My friend actually coined the phrase one day when we were playing the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. I was in the Pirate Fortress riding on the back of one of the guard ships while wearing the Stone Mask, and my friend commented that the Stone Mask was the "Mask of Social Translucency", since it makes you invisible to most (but not all) NPCs. I suppose the name grew on me, since I often felt socially translucent myself at that time, and thus I used it as a username.

christinesangel100

My name is based around a book/musical I like, The Phantom of the Opera. One of the main characters was Christine, and another character was Erik, The Phantom, also known as the Angel of Music. He taught Christine, and was referred to as 'her angel'. My older sister set up an account for me on some website when I was younger, and came up with the name because I am obsessed with Phantom of the opera. I'm not sure where the '100' came from. :) I just stuck with it because I liked it. :) Most people seem to assume my name is Christine, though, which is the only downside.

Okay. I guess now is a good time to explain my previous names. I first changed my name to AceofClubs in Sept 1st 2011. A year later (to the day), I changed it to 5_of_diamonds. A month later, I changed it to Club_of_Diamonds because by that point, everyone who already knew me, knew me as clubs whereas newer members knew me only as diamonds. And so now, I decided to combine my last name with my previous name. Hence my current name.

I'm new. I needed to change mine once since I signed up because I couldn't think of anything good when I was filling out the registration form but now I've got the username I'll stick with.

"cognition" and "sentience" are terms that come up very frequently in the discussion of animal rights because they are typically the measuring stick for autonomy in biological organisms.

Vivid Dawn

I have had a rough life, but try to stay optimistic. I've had this alias for the internet for over 15 years. I chose it because it reminds me there's always a new day, fresh start, clean slate, etc.

• Like 1

I needed a username that wasn't like others I've used, so no one could connect me with "me." This one came to mind as a means of expressing disgust at the sex act, I think--being grossed out. It does actually have another meaning, whether it's well known or not--at least, I think it does--that would be woefully inappropriate, but...here we are.

christmasinacup

My URL is taken from The Proposal. At the beginning when Ryan Reynolds is delivering Sandra Bullock her coffee and explains how he drinks the same thing as her because it tastes like "Christmas in a cup". The majority of my online usernames end with "inacup". (see: karyonmywaywardsoninacup)

• Like 1
Apple Orchard Ghost

I misheard a lyric in a Chris Garneau song as apple orchard ghost, but when I looked it up a few weeks later, it was apple orchard -goats-. But I still liked ghost, so it's now my go to username.

❅Snowflake❅

Just changed the username from "Snowflake_" to adding 2 ❅❅it looks better now.

In the summer of 2009, I was enjoying my break from school. I was hanging out with an older friend of mine in his room where I began to play the video game Skate on his 360. When prompted to choose a username, I started to really wonder what I should go by. At the time, my online handle had been using the same online handle I made when I was 11, yeah x's on both ends and everything. So I thought I'd use the time to come up with a new online handle. I did make a reputation of really loving myself some noodles at this time, so I thought it would be cool enough. But Noodle seemed too dull, so I wondered what I could add on to it. NoodleMan seems really lame, but it rhymes with NoodleDan, though that just sound erie... and a little pompous. Though just then I had a little spark of genius and decided to go by NoodlePan. Fluid on the tongue, looks nice on text, and seems quite original.

Mine is just a fun, phonetic spelling of my first two initials--if you pronounce the "ll" like you would if you were speaking Spanish and say it with an English-like accent. ^_^ I thought about just spelling it "Kayem" but "Kaillem" looks much prettier onscreen. Well, to me it does. :)

Mine has been evolving since I first discovered the internet. I first showed up in fandom as 'Thundra' after a pokemon I made up (a long, long time ago), but since so many people were using that, I started using Thundra_New_Dimension - adding one of my fanfic titles on the pokeflame forums. That stayed around for quite some time, until I finally got tired of it being rejected for being too long on a lot of sites.

By this time, I was writing my first original novel, and had become besotted with the name Luki, which was the name of one of the main characters. So I took the name from my story, hacked off the 'Thundra_New' and became Luki_Dimension, which with a few exceptions in my late teens, has remained until recently. I get annoyed at having the underscore, and an awful lot of websites don't let you use it, so its been shortened to 'Luki'.

Mine is meaningless, literally the first thing that popped into my head when asked to create a username.

I am terrible at coming up with usernames, and I love my kitty, so I just typed in 'kitties' when I signed up, and surprisingly it was available!

I like Sailor Moon, and I chose Sailor Pluto's name, Setsuna. She is quiet and is usually alone, but she is also nurturing. That's pretty much me.

Wyvern-chan

I'm not a fan of Hetalia, but I like the character Wy-chan. Combining that with my love of scaly monsters = Wyvern-chan.

• 4 weeks later...

Alkamar - (properly, Al-kamar) is an Arabic term that means "the moon", most commonly used in reference to words considered to be feminine or that are "genderized" female.

Almost all Arabic names have a specific meaning, a small number (like Al-kamar) have a sort of general meaning and it's extremely rare when an Arabic name really doesn't mean anything.

My username comes from my first e-mail account I created on Yahoo! in 1996. All the variations of my name and surname was already taken and this was one of Yahoo! suggested alternatives. Been using it for everything ever since.

Did mis the opportunity to grab that username on twitter though :angry: (look for @nicocoetzee1)

Also using the same "einstein" photo on all my profiles :P

My username is a Swedish word, because I live in the UK but I have links to Sweden (this is a long story).

"Heja Sverige!" means "Go Sweden!" in English.

"Hej" means "Hi" in English.

And I thought it just makes sense: Hej + A(sexual)... ;)

silverfirefox777

Mine comes from when I was about 7 and was just starting out on the internet. I cam across a Pokèmon RPG and found someone called StarFox11. StarFox11 turned out to be my brother (IRL. The git didn't tell me he was playing it too) so I changed mine to SilverFox but it was taken so fire got added and 777 is my favourite number.

There is an alternate meaning though:

Silver- The fact I have grey hair and I'm not even an adult yet.

Fire- 'Cause my mates rekon I'm a bit of a pyromaniac

Fox- 'Cause a fox is one of my favourite animals

777- Fave. Number.

Not much else to say really lol :)

My usernames typically involve the word "soul". Since I was voted out of having "Lunar Soul" as my name in the chat ( :rolleyes: ) I figured I'd try a portmanteau.

In the end, I went for "Verbose + Soul" Because I do like me my wordpower :lol:

DerkhanBlue

It's not very creative, tbh.. Derkhan Blueday is a character from Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, but I misremembered the name when I first used it online and forgot the -day part, and while I love the whole name, using only Blue seems less like just copying some character's name. Derkhan I like because it's rather neutral in every aspect, to me, anyway. Oh, and I'd like to be like the character I took the name from when I'm 50, haha.

Japanese mythology. It's also used in a few other things like Persona and Shaman King.