For the aromantics: what's your ideal future?

astrobean

There's the typical "American dream" to be married, have 2.5 kids, have a house, a car, a mortgage. The things that "everybody does." And I don't want any of it. I don't want to find someone to grow old with.

I kinda want to travel the world. I'm not so keen on having a house or property. I lived so long thinking I was heterosexual that I assumed the house/husband/kids was a given, and I was just waiting for my life to begin. But now that I know who I am, I'm free of that cookie-cutter future, I don't know what to picture. Anything I do will be labeled as non-traditional.

For those out there following the "non-traditional" rout, what ideal are you striving toward?

I know plenty of people who want to go the non-traditional route, only with kids and SO tagging along.

I don't know what I want. I want to travel, but I also want a little house with a dog and some fruit trees. I want to have a place for my parents and siblings (and their children when they have them) to come hang out, but I don't want to be tied down. I defiantly want to be alone though and I don't want kids of my own at al. I guess I'll just kind of roll with things and see where I end up.

Waist of Thyme

I want to live alone with no kids, partner, or pets. I also want to travel sometimes.

I always wondered how someone could have 2.5 kids. Do they have three kids and cut off half of one? :wacko:

I want to live with my family, or at least live nearby. I still want to get together with friends and have fun, and possibly do some travelling too. I think kids are something other people have, and I'd only consider adopting with some serious forethought.

I'm happy not having a romantic partner. Maybe it will change when my friends start getting married and having kids, but I'll deal with that when I come to it.

Realistically, I live to keep the people I love happy. It is all I can do. Occasionally I must push back the walls of the mental box that inevitably forms as a result of this monotonous existence, but otherwise it's not too bad.

If I was a more functional human being, I would be an entomologist, and more specifically a coleopterist specializing in ground beetles (I hear they are not the funnest group to mess with, but I don't imagine I would mind).

If I were superhuman, or a scientifically enhanced brain in a jar, I would be trying to eliminate as much evil as possible, preferably at its roots.

My goals in life at the moment are to help whoever I can help and try not to screw up. Kids are out of the question. My genes do not need passed down. They are a train wreck as it is.

I always wondered how someone could have 2.5 kids. Do they have three kids and cut off half of one? :wacko:

I thought that too! I think it might be an average number.

People keep telling me I'm not going to be able to carry out my dream of never learning to drive a car and just riding a bicycle. Example conversation:

Them: wait, you aren't getting your liscence?

Me: Ya, I ride a bike.

Them: But what about when you have kids and you have to take them places?

Me: I won't have kids.

Them: *gasp* No kids! What if your husband wants kids?

Me: I don't want to get married.

Them: *bigger gasp* You can't not get married!

Me: Actually, it's pretty easy. *walk away*

I want to bike around the world one day and work in a theatre behind the scenes. I don't want to be tied down to anything for very long anywhere.

Currently I'm working towards a long held dream (since I was in my teens) of buying a 30ft sailboat to live on. I want to learn to sail better and eventually be able to cross oceans. I'd love to see as much of the world as I can get to. In 2015 I'm going to attempt to walk across the U.S. for my first continent on foot, recreating a solo walk done by a woman in 1915. I've been in training for that for a couple years now. That's as far as I've looked into the future so far. I figure those dreams will cary me into my 40's. I've also always wanted to build a cabin in the woods, by hand, with hand tools. Not necessarily to live in permanently, perhaps just a couple years but just as something to do. That could be a good thing to do with my 50's. That's how I've always pictured my life, as a sort of wandering monk/adventurer. I'd like to die doing something active when I'm in my 70's at least, I'd rather make it to my 90's as I have a few ancestors who made it that far. I've always pictured myself getting hit by a truck while riding my bike, or drowning at sea or something. I feel like my position in life affords me the freedom to not give a damn about my future and just enjoy life. I also expect I may have to take some time in my 60's to take care of my folks as they aproach their own deaths. Gotta be there for family. I have many trades that I have learned that can support such a life style so onward 'till I can't go any further! :)

Stormharrier

Well I'd like the house, cuz I want a library with a secret door in it, and a car, cuz it's useful to get places and I hate public transport. But I'm not going the marriage and kids route, under any circumstances. I'm not really sure what grand plans to have though, or even if I need any. I know I'd like a smallish house (with the library), several pets, to be reasonably close to my family and friends (if I have any at that point - I seem to be getting more and more antisocial as the weeks go by), and to be doing a job I love. But I'm mostly doing that already, so I kind of feel like I should be finding something else to work towards, I just can't think of anything right now.

I'd like a partner to travel with, go to concerts with, watch movies with, and come home to. I'd love a romantic partner, but I'd be thrilled with a best friend, too. I'd love a small flat in some major city with a big airport to call home-base. And a very nice frequent flier plan.

Also, while I'm dreaming, I'd like the book I'm writing to hit big and solve my financial concerns.

If that happens, AND I have a partner, I'd like to maybe adopt a kid that needs a home.

I'm not aromantic, but my life plans seem to be. :P

I want to move out of Italy. Where, I haven't decided yet. Possibly in an English speaking country, that'd be great for me, since I love the language; I've been to the UK once and loved it, and I'd really like to visit New Zealand, sounds like the kind of place I'd happily live at. I want to own a house, a modest one, in a fairly quiet neighbourhood with an average amount of green. I also want a job that motivates me and makes me feel like I keep learning and improving every day. I'm not sure what kind of job, but it'll certainly be related to software development, since that's what I'm studying and what I enjoy doing the most. Mostly, I just want to feel happy being who I am and lead a good life.

Of course I'd also happily accept a traditional romantic relationship without the sex part, and absolutely without kids, but that's not exactly something I can plan. :lol:

I'm really young, but for now at least: When I'm finished studying, I wish to go after a career in what I'm passionate about, which is chemistry; perhaps even a bit of nuclear physics. I simply love to learn. My dream is a doctorate, because I consider it a huge achievement. Indeed, my name with Dr. attached has a nice ring to it, too :rolleyes:

I'd love a house (maybe with a small lab and surely a big library :wub:), but just to myself, without a partner or kids or even pets. Call me selfish, but well, I can always do nice things in my spare time without giving up my privacy or throwing my genes all over the place. I do hate it when people assume like that: when you get married, when you have kids. In my case at least, it's a big if, and I'm perfectly content :)

No car, though. I'm cool with buses, trains and walking unless my job calls for it. Driving is a lot of stress.

I would like to get a good job, get a pet (maybe a cat?) and do some traveling when I can. There's too much out there to let myself be stuck in one place!

1/100 of me

I want to see the world but I'd like to live in my hometown for as long as possible because my family, friends, and basically my whole life is there. I want to be a research scientist. My special interest is human genetics. I would like to have a pet dog again but it might be hard to give it the attention it needs if I was always travelling or spending long hours in the lab. I also love to write so if I could do that on the side I would be happy. I'd like to own a house for two reasons: one, because there are limits to how much you can personalize an apartment and two, I don't want to have to bang on the wall and tell the people having sex next door to please keep it down.

My ideal future involves a lot of traveling, I intend to travel to many places before I die. Hopefully I am able to find a platonic friend to travel with, but if not traveling alone to other countries doesn't scare me.

There is so much out there, I want to explore and see all of it!

A Taste of Harmony

• Keep the mind and body as healthy as possible for longevity.

Provide help for improved future of the Earth and the things/beings(?) within, although don't know how am I going to do yet.

Throw in some of my interests or hobbies along the way for extra flavour ;)

I want to re-apply for the army/Navy eventually it's always been my life dream, probably in about two years time lol, then when I come out I want to maybe take up some hobbies like fishing and travel the world i'd love a partner to live with travel with that'd be cool

Moved to Romantic and Aromantic Orientations.

Lia

Asexual Q&A Mod

I'm also quite keen to take up alchemy and want to hopefully get a house with a lab, I also want to hopefully travel across the world and meditate in the himalayas

gilnokoibito

My dream is to find a queerplatonic partner to live with, or nearby to so we can celebrate holidays/birthdays together, attend fun local events together, travel with, and always have someone to talk to and hang out with. I'd like a moderately sized home with some pretty flowers and trees and a couple cats; either near where I live now (because my family owns enough land here for me to put a house) or within an hour or two from here so I can still be close enough to family and friends to visit often and still close enough to enjoy short road trips to slightly larger cities for shopping and the such. I'd like to have a job I can make a good enough living on and that I feel comfortable at and go on lots of vacations when I've saved up enough money (Ireland, England, Salem, Mass., Japan, anime cons, Nevada, etc.) As for kids...I'm still kinda iffy on that...one part of me wants kids and wants to raise one and pass on my genes, the other part thinks I'd be a horrible parent and better off without them as long as I can find myself a fulfilling life in other ways.

gypsy_princess

i want to move, maybe travel to the usa and find a house there. then living on writing and translating books. maybe i'll find someone to love, or i'll die alone, it doesn't mind. i want to live in peace, doing what i like, listening to music and reading the Whole day, alone in my own world.

byanyotherusername

I want a job I don't hate, hopefully one where I feel like I'm doing meaningful work, even if it's hard. I don't care about being wealthy, but I want to be completely financially self-sufficient and feel secure.

I want to live in a low-impact, sustainable way. I want a small house with a not-so-small yard where I can have some chickens, a garden, and maybe a small orchard. Ideally I would be able to produce most or all of my own water and electricity (a big initial investment of time/energy/money, but a great savings of all those things in the long run). I want a lifestyle that doesn't require a car.

I want a cat (or two, or three...). I want lots of books.

Most importantly, I want to live in community, and always have friends/family close by who are a regular part of my life. I wouldn't mind living abroad where I didn't know anyone on a temporary basis, and would probably enjoy the experience, but I want to live most of my life with loved ones close by. Ideally, at least a couple of these relationships will be very cuddly. ;) While there are some things I really like about having a shared living space (as long as I have a room to myself), I would prefer to live on my own. I imagine the right person(s)/situation could change that, though. :)

I want to travel to as many places as I can..I would love to live a vagabond life and live simply. Live with the indigenous people and learn their dialects and lifestyle. Then pack up and move again..just meet as many different kinds of people as I can..something about staying in my own little US bubble where I've lived my whole life bothers me.

Eventually I'd like to pick a spot to settle, simply so I can have a ton of DOGS and animals in general. Work wise I have no idea..maybe breeding/training/rehabilitating dogs.

Ideally I'd love to have an ace partner to share all this with but we shall see.. ;)

sometimes i think i might like to have a platonic partner (having a really strong friendship, living together), but other times i just want to live on my own with a few pets.

IceHurricane

My dream is to have a good job I like, live in a small place by myself just doing things I love in my spare time. I don't want to get married, or have any kids or pets. It'd be nice to travel every once in a while too. I've always wanted to go to Germany or Japan. Yeah that'd be nice...

My childhood dream was to have my own little place, keep good relationships with my family and live close by (yet alone), have a nice group of friends, travel around the world and maybe (big maybe) adopt a child when I'm older. I also would like to keep learning (languages, music, even maybe earn another degree...)

I'm 35 now and my dreams haven't changed much and I'm happy that I've achieved most of them so far :)

I'm living alone in my own house, close to my family surrounded by good friends. I'm not able to travel much yet (only 2 trips so far) since most of my budget was spent on buying my home and furnishing it (I'm not rich, I started from scratch!). Same goes for my learning process though I can say I've also started that.

What annoys me about being so different (especially in my society) is that sometimes I feel I'm restrained by my surrondings: even though my friends and family are very understanding of my choices, they're all living heteronormative lives and like they accept me, I have to nod and accept their heteronormative choices, even when those choices are the root of all their problems (but I can't say that even if they can throw singlist remarks my way). I'm also restrained by our laws; being single, I can never adopt a child (and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future) but I'm OK with that for now, because even though I love children and I'm very good at playing and having fun with them, I don't wanna be stuck with one 24/7 and have to feed and change diapers, and be responsible for them, etc.

Another thing that annoys me is people feeling sorry for me because they think I'm lonely or can't find a husband or because they see me enjoy time with children and think I want some of my own (I definitely DO NOT want to bear any children) <_<

But hey, I'm happier than most people I know and so far I'm able to achieve most of my dreams, so I shouldn't be upset about what they think. :)

I've been dreaming of being part of a world-famous band, and then I can get to travel with friends. Also, I can make my working class/lower middle class family's wishes come true. The odds of that dream coming true are low now, but even if that doesn't happen, I hope to live in a house (preferably in America) where my friends live too. I'm not sure how that would work, but it just seems really fun in my mind. Other than that, I want to own dogs, play video games, and die at like, 35 or earlier.

lapislazuli

I've spend the years in Uni trying to achieve my childhood dreams of getting a career in the field that I want.

Once I've done that, I got a bit stuck for a few years with where to next as I realised I did not actual plan the OTHER PERSON into my future! ;)

Thankfully I'm no longer confused, and now I want to spend the rest of my life making the most of it and making myself happy!

I want to stay in touch with family and make as many new friends as possible; want to take up things I didn't in the past because I felt bad doing it alone.

I want to travel the world even if I'm going solo. I have friends (who are in a relationship) say "how can you go overseas by yourself? I would never go it alone, it's dangerous, lonely, blah blah blah". And I just think, well, am I never going any where or do anything then if I remain single? I've been to quite a few places now, but still have so many that I want to see, and local delicacies to try!!

Only problem is I live freaking far away in New Zealand! Takes forever to fly anywhere and cost an arm and leg!

I'm not aromantic, but my life plans seem to be. :P

I want to move out of Italy. Where, I haven't decided yet. Possibly in an English speaking country, that'd be great for me, since I love the language; I've been to the UK once and loved it, and I'd really like to visit New Zealand, sounds like the kind of place I'd happily live at. I want to own a house, a modest one, in a fairly quiet neighbourhood with an average amount of green. I also want a job that motivates me and makes me feel like I keep learning and improving every day. I'm not sure what kind of job, but it'll certainly be related to software development, since that's what I'm studying and what I enjoy doing the most. Mostly, I just want to feel happy being who I am and lead a good life.

Of course I'd also happily accept a traditional romantic relationship without the sex part, and absolutely without kids, but that's not exactly something I can plan. :lol:

That's one downside of New Zealand... Me I'm thinking of moving to Europe where it is more central!! :D

That's one downside of New Zealand... Me I'm thinking of moving to Europe where it is more central!! :D

Don't move to Italy. Ever.

Also, my problem is that I'd like to live in the USA for some time but probably not permanently. I don't know why. I feel like being amongst Americans for a few years would be a worthy life experience. Plus, I'd get in touch with more aces. ^_^

A Taste of Harmony

Don't move to Italy. Ever.

But they have cinnamon gelato.. :(

:P

honor is all

My ideal future:

Buying my own bed sit/studio flat in my current rapidly changing area which I love to bits.

Extending my freelance services to translation and media adaptation so I can be a 'footloose' i.e. non-location dependant professional and just go on random trips abroad and teach English in Peru, or look after giraffes in Namibia or something :P :lol:

(OK I'm already living this so it doesn't count as future plans but still) continue to be a freewheeling part of a triad (aka the visiting part instead of the usually imagined cohabiting part). If not my current triad (they or I might wanna move countries or have other plans or whatever) then I'm crossing my fingers to find poly people/couples wherever I may go.

Start an ethnodance studio. As I current flamenco and belly dancer and a former Irish and Latin dancer I would like to spread the love of ethnodance as much as possible. One reason why I prefer ethnodance forms to so called 'stage' forms (ballet, tap Broadway) is because they are more body positive, accept a wider variety of shaps, sizes and ability gradients (not to many ballet for the blind classes there while I did see more than 5 blind bellydance ones :) ). Although I have to give the ballet industry some credit (at least the British ballet industry) for including more diverse body types in the past 15 years as well as having a Deaf dancer as a member once upon a time.

Archived