What is the difference between asexuality and Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder?

unopeneddoor

How does a therapist tell the difference between asexuality and HSDD? What are some differences between the two?

wordforger

The diagnosis of this "disorder" depends on someone being "distressed" about this lack of desire, and/or it impairing their relationships. The problem with that is that if a naturally asexual person who doesn't know about asexuality keeps being pressured into something they aren't inclined towards, then of course they're going to be distressed! It doesn't mean they need to be "fixed", it means they just need to accept themselves as they are. Does a gay person who is distressed by how people perceive their gayness have a disorder? NO. Then why this diagnosis for unwitting asexuals?

The DSM-V has been rejected by the Natiional Institute of Mental Health for being unscientific in its approach to diagnosing and treating disorders. The entry on Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder is just one example out of many that shows why they were right to do so.

ETA: Ack! An old thread raised from the dead. Next time start a new topic?

Lord Happy Toast

How does a therapist tell the difference between asexuality and HSDD? What are some differences between the two?

I've written a paper on this called, "How is asexuality different from hypoactive sexual desire disorder"? If anyone wants a copy, please contact me.

Qutenkuddly

This thread has been split from Asexuality is not a disorder.

Qutenkuddly,
Asexual Musings and Rantings Moderator

Janus the Fox
Perhaps a key word here is "want" someone who's is HSDD may have the want to have a more active sex life, but can't. Asexuality to me is separate and may not have that "want" component, despite may having a normal libido and so on.
wordforger

Perhaps a key word here is "want" someone who's is HSDD may have the want to have a more active sex life, but can't. Asexuality to me is separate and may not have that "want" component, despite may having a normal libido and so on.

Yes, but if they want a more active sex life, then how does that lead to having hypoactive sexual desire disorder? There's a difference between libido and desire. If they spoke only of libido, that would be one thing, but they seem to be pathologizing a lack of desire for sex, not a lack of libido.

To put it bluntly, I have a libido but that doesn't result in a desire to stick my member in any kind of bodily orafice. That's just me though.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

HSDD feels like it's not rightly part of the person (egodystonic) and afflicts people who were allosexual at one point. Asexuality is a sexual orientation that is part of a person's identity.

The therapist first has to understand that asexuality exists. That unfortunately isn't the case with many therapists currently.

I think the key to answering this question is "how do you feel about it?"

It is hard to classify something as a disorder that doesn't cause the person distress or hinder their ability to live and function in a normal way.

Do I remember correctly that until the 70s (or something), homosexuality was also in the DSM as some sort of mental disorder?

The diagnosis of this "disorder" depends on someone being "distressed" about this lack of desire, and/or it impairing their relationships. The problem with that is that if a naturally asexual person who doesn't know about asexuality keeps being pressured into something they aren't inclined towards, then of course they're going to be distressed! It doesn't mean they need to be "fixed", it means they just need to accept themselves as they are. Does a gay person who is distressed by how people perceive their gayness have a disorder? NO. Then why this diagnosis for unwitting asexuals?

This has been my thoughts exactly. Of course I'm gonna be distressed if I think that I'm somehow "broken" and probably suffering from some trauma or mental condition! I guess you could say that if your sexual desire wanes completely, then you might have hypoactive sexual disorder. (maybe?)