Just a little question to people who knows about these stuff

Hello all! This topic might of existed before but I am way too lazy to look for it, so Im just gonna spit it out here n see what happens :ph34r:

I have never felt real love in the real world (not too strange or rare, Im not that old) and I have only had 2-3 crushes, but those have been before I learnt to know the person in question, after talking to them the crush state disappeared. The reason I got a crush on them was because I have this world in my head with characters I like/love, and when people remind me of those I will immediately get interested, but nothing else does.

Someone now said its called fanmantic and that its a kind of aromantic, I can get the fanmantic thing, but I have never really seen myself as aromantic, I got so much romantic shit happening inside my head! But yea ofc I dont experience it in real.... I dont know. Am I really aromantic? o.o Just seems so awkward, I've been telling people Im romantic. :ph34r:

Btw... I find no real info about this fanmantic thing, where do I find info?

poindexter

As an aromantic, I can KIND of relate - I hardly ever feel attracted to people, and it's usually only aesthetic at that. I feel much more attracted to the fictional characters I read about so when someone comes along who reminds me of that character - like an actor, for example - I end up being attracted, but it's only really about the fictional character. When I stop relating the person with the character, I lose interest.

Don't know... I definitely am an aromantic - even when I do feel attracted to fictional characters, I generally think of them in a platonic way, very rarely romantic, and I've definitely never had a romantic attraction to a real human being.

Blah - I don't even know if that relates to what you're asking at all.. I guess I don't think having a romantic attraction to fictional characters counts as true romantic attraction because (for me, at least) it only works when it's in my head (the same way, for example, people have rape fantasies because they are in control of the fantasy...) Does that even make sense?!

As an aromantic, I can KIND of relate - I hardly ever feel attracted to people, and it's usually only aesthetic at that. I feel much more attracted to the fictional characters I read about so when someone comes along who reminds me of that character - like an actor, for example - I end up being attracted, but it's only really about the fictional character. When I stop relating the person with the character, I lose interest.

Don't know... I definitely am an aromantic - even when I do feel attracted to fictional characters, I generally think of them in a platonic way, very rarely romantic, and I've definitely never had a romantic attraction to a real human being.

Blah - I don't even know if that relates to what you're asking at all.. I guess I don't think having a romantic attraction to fictional characters counts as true romantic attraction because (for me, at least) it only works when it's in my head (the same way, for example, people have rape fantasies because they are in control of the fantasy...) Does that even make sense?!

Yea, I guess it makes sense :P Its just that.. its like I know how romantic attraction should feel (due to whats goin on in my head), and have believed it is goin to happen in real, but now when it never does...well... got me thinking.

I have had relationships, I dont mind doin alot of stuff, Im quite like...neutral to most... but I guess I only had strong friendship feelings about it all, and my curiosity got me entering the relationship... Gosh I should stop being that silly, haha.

Well I dont know. Maybe I am aromantic. Since I have never even considered (thought about) it before it kinda makes me scratch my head.

I really have no idea what I can add to this conversation, but you've pretty much described my life as well. My characters have had relationships and fallen in love but I've never felt anything like that. My only crush/squish was on a girl who I knew very well online but had never seen in real life.

Then again, I get along better with my fictional friends than I do with my real ones. (When I have real ones, that is :P )

I really have no idea what I can add to this conversation, but you've pretty much described my life as well. My characters have had relationships and fallen in love but I've never felt anything like that. My only crush/squish was on a girl who I knew very well online but had never seen in real life.

Then again, I get along better with my fictional friends than I do with my real ones. (When I have real ones, that is :P )

Hehe, well it seems like most people dont know what to tell me (looking at the lack of answers) so its atleast nice to hear that someone has it (somewhat) like me :P

As everyone can see now I added "fanmantic" as my romantic orientation x) Because that I know is true. If Im aromantic or not i dont know :P Probably am.

I guess I have confused whole aven, and only people who recognized it answered xD Why cant someone help me get rid of my curiosity? o.o

I believe that, if you're only attracted to fictional characters (of any gender), then you can either consider yourself aromantic or romantic. Really depends on what fits you better. In a way, the crushes you have on them may be romantic in nature, yet the characters are still fictional, so it's entirely up to you. I have heard of this before from another aromantic I knew, so it's not just your thing :)

I am Sherlocked

I can relate messen,

I have a irrational love for Dean, Stiles, Derek, Castiel and Sherlock.

But I have a thing where I also want those characters to be happy with other characters.

It's weird, I can always say I have a crush or wouldn't mind dating so and so actor cause I know in my mind that it's never going to happen. So why not dream? haha.

I can relate messen,

I have a irrational love for Dean, Stiles, Derek, Castiel and Sherlock.

But I have a thing where I also want those characters to be happy with other characters.

It's weird, I can always say I have a crush or wouldn't mind dating so and so actor cause I know in my mind that it's never going to happen. So why not dream? haha.

Haha, well I do daydream alot, these characters I talk about (that I am romantically attracted to) I have made up myself. But i can get a crush/squish on people in books or animated shows, I never seem to feel it for characters that are unanimated humans though :P

I have no problem seeing myself as romantic even tho its only towards these...made up people. But I guess its the romantic attraction towards real humans that decide however Im romantic or aromantic >>

I guess I have confused whole aven, and only people who recognized it answered xD Why cant someone help me get rid of my curiosity? o.o

I believe that, if you're only attracted to fictional characters (of any gender), then you can either consider yourself aromantic or romantic. Really depends on what fits you better. In a way, the crushes you have on them may be romantic in nature, yet the characters are still fictional, so it's entirely up to you. I have heard of this before from another aromantic I knew, so it's not just your thing :)

Hard to say what fits me better, I dont feel aromantic (as aromantic people use to describe themselves) due to the fact that I do feel romantic attraction, just not towards real people. Well I dont know what to think :P do you happen to know where I can read more about fanmantic-things? Maybe it use to go under another word, Id like to do some research haha.

And erm...well I dont feel it towards any gender, only seems to be male made-up characters that I feel for, I dont know if it is that I think the personality I like suits better in them? >>

A couple things I've found with quick browsing:

2 (definition of fictiophilia)

I'm unaware of web spaces dedicated to this, I only knew one aromantic who was exclusively attracted to fictional characters, and they never really pointed me out anywhere, so... I guess good luck searching!

A couple things I've found with quick browsing:

2 (definition of fictiophilia)

I'm unaware of web spaces dedicated to this, I only knew one aromantic who was exclusively attracted to fictional characters, and they never really pointed me out anywhere, so... I guess good luck searching!

Yea I found that one too (fictiophilia), but I couldnt relate at all to the examples >> and the word sounds so nasty, haha. Well I dont seem to be alone in feeling this, so I dont understand how there can be so little info about it.

Edit: When I say I cant relate I mean that they sound very extreme. lol. But yea maybe fictiophilia is the name people use for it, but I think fantasy (or whatever fan stands for)-romantic, fanmantic, suits better for me, because I only feel the romantic attraction towards the ones I have made up, that I have in my head, I dont feel strongly for the others, they are only like squishes.

gypsy_princess

it happens to me, too.

I'm a weird person, i have another world inside my head with people and stories that i keep on everyday since i was 6. so it's 12 years. the characters in my head fall in love, they're romantic and they do everything i wouldn't do in real life.

i'm surprised to see that there are other people with a fantasy world in their head, i thought i was the only one :o

it happens to me, too.

I'm a weird person, i have another world inside my head with people and stories that i keep on everyday since i was 6. so it's 12 years. the characters in my head fall in love, they're romantic and they do everything i wouldn't do in real life.

i'm surprised to see that there are other people with a fantasy world in their head, i thought i was the only one :o

haha, I am just as surprised as you about that :P its first here on aven where I have realised that more people have it like that.

I have been "living in my head" since young age, 5 or 6 I guess, but my world took a more permanent shape first when I turned 10, so thats where I count from ^^ Im very happy I have it,

BannedForSatire

I would say that you're romantic since you can have romantic feelings even if they don't apply to real people. I think there's a potential that some day those feelings COULD apply to a real person even if it's doubtful.

If one of your fictional characters were real you would surely feel romantic about them right? Or would you instantly stop liking them just because they were real?

I think I'm romantically attracted to fictional characters but I still call myself an aromantic, because I never imagine them and me, it's always them and someone else from their canon, but I know I definitely feel romantic love for them regardless. It's hard to explain. Maybe I'm more in love with the idea of them being in love... Anyway, like you I've felt interest (not really romantic or sexual, just interest) in real people before because they remind me of certain characters, but after talking to them or getting to know them better the apparent similarities to the character disappear along with the interest.

I would say that you're romantic since you can have romantic feelings even if they don't apply to real people. I think there's a potential that some day those feelings COULD apply to a real person even if it's doubtful.

If one of your fictional characters were real you would surely feel romantic about them right? Or would you instantly stop liking them just because they were real?

I'm open to the idea of having romantic feelings for someone one day, but right now I'm pretty sure I'm aromantic as I have never felt any romantic attraction to real people.

I admire fictional characters for the things they do, and I love watching them fall in love and be romantic. If they were real I wouldn't be happy being with them, because ultimately I like seeing them being in love with other people, and I would only be happy for them if they fell in love with someone other than me, because I ship them with particular characters and hence I think that ship belongs together. I don't call a character my husband or wife, like some people do. Also I just don't think I'd feel the same way about them - I don't feel this way about real life celebrities, after all. It would be enough just to be friends with someone like that. Hence, aromantic fanmantic!

Also if any of the characters I love were real, it'd be weird because they're exclusively anime guys and... well, I can't imagine them as real people even when I try!

BTW I am so insanely glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about fictional characters >.< I've never felt like it's unnatural to feel this way about them, I just know it's not really socially acceptable. But you guys are awesome. Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone!!

gypsy_princess

it happens to me, too.

haha, I am just as surprised as you about that :P its first here on aven where I have realised that more people have it like that.

I have been "living in my head" since young age, 5 or 6 I guess, but my world took a more permanent shape first when I turned 10, so thats where I count from ^^ Im very happy I have it,

me too! at least that world is better than the real one. I would love to know how's yours ;)

it happens to me, too.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who lives in my fantasy world half the time. I agree, it's just so much more exciting and interesting than the real world (or at least my life :P )

I probably would love them if they became real lol. (would become obsessed with that person) x) scary thought. Have a hard time seeing any of them ever appearing in real though, I have never found any1 whos even close to beeing like them. But yea, Im having some trouble adding aromantic in my profile atm becuase of that, I guess heterofanmantic as I have written now says enought :P

I think I'm romantically attracted to fictional characters but I still call myself an aromantic, because I never imagine them and me, it's always them and someone else from their canon, but I know I definitely feel romantic love for them regardless. It's hard to explain. Maybe I'm more in love with the idea of them being in love... Anyway, like you I've felt interest (not really romantic or sexual, just interest) in real people before because they remind me of certain characters, but after talking to them or getting to know them better the apparent similarities to the character disappear along with the interest.

BTW I am so insanely glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about fictional characters >.< I've never felt like it's unnatural to feel this way about them, I just know it's not really socially acceptable. But you guys are awesome. Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone!!

I am always playing a character when in my world, he/she aint "me" (as in real life me), but all my emotions go though that person, so I say that "that person I am playing". Dont know how much sense that makes, but thats how it is.

And it seems to be a common phenomena to have feeling for fictional/made-up characters (looking at all who have the same), just something people for some reason never mention loud to me (or obviously to others) unless I've asked or brought it up (like now) :P I guess I am not as weird as I thought.

me too! at least that world is better than the real one. I would love to know how's yours ;)

Heh, if you want to you could PM me and ask questions, would be cool to hear about yours too :P I am a bit paranoid when it comes to telling "too much", but some stuff are completely okey :P

I dont know if I would say that my world is better than the real one, I prefer it 100 %, but haha, its a dangerous place o.o

Glad to know I'm not the only one who lives in my fantasy world half the time. I agree, it's just so much more exciting and interesting than the real world (or at least my life :P )

Yep, these last days are the first time that I have realised that Im not alone in doin this :P

I merged them. And I hope you don't mind if I merge the two above posts of yours as well.

I merged them. And I hope you don't mind if I merge the two above posts of yours as well.

Oh lol, sure, I just make em seperate to make it easier for the person I reply to. Maybe it isnt easier :P haha

In the future, click on multi quote when you want to reply to more than one person.

Archived