Why do people want to hold hands?

Rivan Vox

Sometimes, things like this are "necessary," like with small children, but with boyfriends or the like, I absolutely hated it. I'd always pull my hand back and move away. The first thought in my head was, "That's mine!" I felt trapped, like if I wanted to use that hand for something, I couldn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to hold hands with my wife walking down the street. We both liked holding hands and we were in love with each other. Holding hands is obviously a sign of affection.

gypsy_princess

i hate seeing people holding hands, i feel it too "mushy" :P

no one has ever held my hand, but if a boy did it... i'd be like "bleah, go away"! i don't like it, it's like a kiss, i feel it useless and disgusting

Holding hands with someone you love is quite simply amazing ^_^

UsagiJellybean

Holding hands, for me, is very much a kind of...reassurance/comfort thing, not so much a status thing.

My partner suffers with social anxiety so when we're out and about holding hands sometimes helps him, by letting him know I'm right there with him. He has said before how holding hands helps him feel safe when he's nervous, but he finds it embarrassing in front of people he knows, whereas I'm not too bothered who sees.

Since I walk kinda slow, I also find it helps to give someone's hand a tug if they're going too fast for me! On top of that I'm pretty anxious about busy roads so I'll often hold my partner's hand much tighter...I think that stems from childhood habits somehow.

I'll also happily hold hands with close friends (If they're cool with it, usually arm-linking is better), my younger brother and sister...sometimes even my Mum still XD (although again not for long cos I feel too old for that, but I've got nothing against it!) ...unless their hands are filthy or rough. I think of it as a more exclusive handshake?

I don't have much of a problem with others who hold hands in public, unless it appears to be done forcefully. I find it sweet when kids or older couples hold hands, but I don't really think too much about it when other couples in general hold hands.

(I don't think I've ever used the word "hands" this much before x.x)

I enjoy holding hands with a romantic partner so long as they're quick to give the hand back if I need it for something. (And so long as I know that their hands are clean.) Besides the closeness and security, it feels like a nonverbal statement of 'yes, we are together, and we are proud of it'.

I also like to hold hands with my younger sister when we are out in public, though she is growing past the point where she wants it, and the reasons are of course very different. Just my way of keeping her close, guarding her as best I can.
Thecatlady

I'm not a touchie feelie person myself. So holding hands does not appeal to me at all, especially since it makes your hands sweaty and gross. Ewww.

Kitty Spoon Train

Totally depends on the situation for me. Sometimes it's nice, but the way some people do it gets a bit clingy. eg. Pretty much expecting that hands will always be held when walking in public or whatever.

Come to think of it, I pretty much only like it in stationary situations, not so much when walking. Except maybe in certain moods or on certain types of walks.

sound_the_bugle

So I'm not sure I believe it, but this is something an English teacher told me once:

When couples are together longer than a year or two, they form a "pair-bond." In that pair-bond, they constantly desire being close to each other. In fact, when they are together, they're almost always in some sort of physical contact, and you can actually tell how the pair-bond is faring based on their physical closeness. Usually, they will be in contact - holding hands, bumping elbows/brushing arms or shoulders every step, etc. The further apart they walk, the worse the relationship is going.

Like I said, don't know I believe it. But it's a theory.

Archived