"Asexuality: An Overview" by, Swankivy

A Gray Phantom

wordforger

Thanks for your perspective, Lydian. That makes sense, sure.

Most of my videos are actually kind of just rambly or not terribly well executed, and most of them are certainly not about shaming people who tried to shame me. As for the comments in "Asexual Bingo," actually nearly all of them came when my video had been targeted for a full-scale twelve-day-long trolling by someone on 4chan. Every single night for nearly two weeks, the troll went to /b/, started a thread called "Ask an asexual anything!" and posted my link, using my photo and the username "swankivy," and began trying to impersonate me, claiming to be the author of the video. He then proceeded to "answer" people's questions by making elitist statements about asexual people being better than everyone else, throwing out pseudo-scientific reasons for "why" I was asexual, and even went as far as to post a naked picture of a girl who vaguely looked like me while saying I have no hangups about my body because I don't "sexualize" it and therefore don't mind posing nude on the Internet. This troll doing this every night caused me to get somewhere between 80 and 200 troll comments a night whenever he was online. And he would usually be found out as a fake very quickly because he couldn't spell, and people who did their homework could see that "the real swankivy" is an editor. :P

So those comments were just some of the most foul things said to me pretty much all on top of each other, without end, for a couple weeks. Not to mention the perpetrator was e-mailing me privately and trying to gloat about how he wasn't having to change my "message" or exaggerate it at all in order to get me all that hate mail, and how I should really be more grateful to him for getting my views up. When I didn't acknowledge him he had a big temper tantrum and also tried to impersonate me on Craigslist. It was sad.

And that's not even the worst trolling I ever got, but I prefer not to talk about the worst one because it took a lot of money and talking to lawyers before I won.

So that's probably a big reason why I'm not a big fan of being told I should just play nice. Haha.

It's frustrating when people think they can "fix" you, I know! Boy do I relate. And even when they're not saying these things specifically to smack you down, they're definitely very invalidating, and it's difficult to figure out what you can even SAY to people who are supposed to be your friends and loved ones but won't stop trying to tell you that you must be mistaken about what you feel unless you're sick. The condescending "You'll change, you'll see" mantra is one of the worst coming from someone you love. Because you can't insist "NO I WON'T" without sounding like you made a rebellious "decision," but if you agree that sure, they might be right, you sound like you're admitting that you're not the authority on your own feelings.

Bah.

YIKES! You are one brave lady, Swankivy. No one deserves that kind of harassment.