9% of responders of a sex survey identify as asexual

Ace Amoeba

This was in Details magazine which is even more surprising, it being a men's magazine. That's right 9%.

tumblr_mkfz3sc1TQ1r5ylm6o1_500.jpg

• Like 1
sound_the_bugle

April Fools? Or serious? 'Cause today I just can't tell.

• Like 1

chrilona, This was last month's magazine, so no joke.

Nyu, I don't know, I'm having trouble finding more information. For a magazine names details, it doesn't provide anything but this.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's certainly not the 1% estimate that has been replicated over and over again. Also, it's a sex survey and most all the other questions on the survey probably wouldn't apply to the average ace.
The magazine isn't like Maxim or anything, but the number is suspect.

sound_the_bugle

I looked at this person's page and also discovered that they liked to pull things out of context (their thing about the thread of the married asexual woman for example - the quotes they pulled were offensive until I looked at the actual thread, which the page linked to, and discovered that many of the quotes they pulled weren't offensive in context.)

sound_the_bugle

One question comes to mind: What was their understanding of "asexuality"?

Clearly, 9% of the population can bud new offspring. :P

• Like 6

One question comes to mind: What was their understanding of "asexuality"?

That's what I'm wondering as well. Some surveys have considered "asexuality" to be things like "not having sex in the last year" which obviously give rather distorted results.

• Like 1

The original survey has been taken down off their site, and while I'd like to look at the questions, the survey was presented in a casual and easy to read way, not that anyone can blame Details for that.

chrilona, yes I have been known to spin things and for that I offer no apologies, but in this case, unfortunately, there is nothing to spin.

sound_the_bugle

chrilona, yes I have been known to spin things and for that I offer no apologies, but in this case, unfortunately, there is nothing to spin.

I apologize for that. I didn't realize that was your page, and I also meant no offense. I just saw other things out of context and saw this as possibly out of context. Again, many apologies.

• Like 1

ahh maybe something is not accurate here, as say a married couple could not be having a sexual relationship for loads of different reasons

but the magazine could be making asumptions that no sex in marrage eqiuils asexuallity

Janus the Fox

The survey would at least been limited to that particular magazine, so it would have been very small. Maybe 9% of Detail Magazine readers identify as Asexual, which sounds more accurate than saying 9% of everyone in the world is. But if someone could dig deeper into this could reveal interesting results ;)

Plus an interest start from AVEN's past about Details Magazine needing people for an asexual survey dated 2004 may be related...

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is a lot of these people have had a few too many bad breakups and are now identifying as asexual because of their idea that asexual people don't fall in love.

• 3 weeks later...
inqueertime

I would be interested to look at the polling results and see what questions were actually asked, whether they were asking about what gender(s) attracted them or whether they actually asked about identity. In (A)sexual (the documentary that I'm assuming everyone here knows about), there was a study referenced where people were asked as to whether they were attracted to men, women, both men and women, more frequently men than women, more frequently women than men, or neither. The "neither" option could encapsulate transgender individuals that do not identify on the male-female gender binary. Sure, it could be a slim amount of people, but it's not good to marginalize minorities; it's a statistical error. It's one thing to conclude off of the mentioned poll that one percent of people are attracted to neither gender and another to say that one percent of people are asexual.

I'm just stating all of the above just in case the poll was not trans*-friendly. *special sparkles*