Ally Appreciation Thread

phistory

Today, my friend did something really awesome, and her actions caused me to reflect on just how awesome all of the allies in my life are, so I decided to make a thread celebrating our allies! Because, I'm just putting it out there, you allies are just the best :) I know the people in my life are great, and I've seen some really awesome people on here too that definitely deserve a shout-out.

First, there's my awesome best friend who really sparked this whole thing. This morning, in one of her Education classes (she's training to become a high school teacher) there was a presentation on how to help LGBTQ students, and even though she totally didn't have to, she taught her classmates about asexuality. Thanks to her, there are around 100 future teachers who are now
aware of asexuality as a legitimate orientation! Also, I just think that it's great that this topic in general is one being brought up to Education students, as it is a very important issue.

Also, all of the partners that have made the effort to make things work with their asexual partners. It takes great dedication to learn to work with different orientations, so thank you. Even in the cases where it doesn't work out, just trying to deal with it is amazing. I'm just so grateful that even after I told the guy who is now my boyfriend, he still wanted to be with me and wouldn't let my asexuality get between us. I imagine it must be difficult for him at times but I really appreciate how much he cares :)

I also really want to just thank all of the friends of asexuals who accept and support us. For example, when I came out to my floor in my dorm, I posted a sign on my door explaining my orientation and what it means. While I was so worried about what everyone would think when they saw it, one of my floormates anonymously wrote on the sign expressing their love and support. Others told me in person and by text that they support me, and not one of them was ever mean about it. It was thanks to all of their support that I now feel comfortable just being the way I am and not like I have something to hide or be ashamed of.

Finally, I just really want to thank everyone who just wanders through here because they don't know that much about this relatively uncommon orientation. The very fact that you are looking into it is great, because there are so many who just never bother to.

Anyway, thank you all for being so awesome! And asexuals, what are some other ways that our allies rock?

I read the thread title and thought "I don't know who Ally is, but she must be pretty awesome." Oh, ah-LIE. Got it!

Archived