What are you currently reading?

Caligari

Starting reading the script forย A Streetcar Named Desireย by Tennessee Williams. It's for my English Literature studies. All the books we're currently reading I've heard of, but never got to try until now, and I've been really enjoying them all! I'm very surprised by the raw events that happen in Streetcar (although we're only on the second scene at this point). It's so baffling to me how something could be so well depicted within literature. At the same time, it makes sense. Human emotion, and the human psyche, have existed for aย veryย long time. People have been writing about it for a good amount of time, too. I definitely want to see if I can watch a live performance, or at least find one online.

• Like 3

I'm attemptingย The Decameronย by Giovanni Bocaccio because I finally found a modern translation

• Like 2

Narcissus and Goldmund. Somehow that one flew right past me (most people read it in school, apparently?), and I'm enjoying it very much.

• Like 1
KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty
On 11/26/2022 at 10:37 AM, weird elf said:

Narcissus and Goldmund. Somehow that one flew right past me (most people read it in school, apparently?), and I'm enjoying it very much.

What's it about? *very curious*ย ย 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, KuraThePrettyEldritchAngel said:

What's it about? *very curious*ย ย 

It's set in the Middle Ages, and it follows two men (well, one of them mostly) who meet as students in a monastery (and fall in love, but nothing really happens between them). Narcissus becomes a monk, while Goldmund leaves the monastery, has some "fun" and ultimately becomes a sculptor. Both of them end up back at the monastery in the end.

(Word of warning, it was after my post that I found there's rather a lot of ... well, to use a blue-haired wise guy's words, "adult fun time" in there. But it's kind of tastefully described, and the way the author puts it in contrast with other aspects of life, like learning and arts, makes it okay for me.)

• Like 3

The Edge of the World: A Cultural History of the North Sea and the Transformation of Europe - Michael Pye

• Like 3

I fell out of the loop when it comes to Stephen King novels, which is why when Iย checked out a new one from a library yesterday ,ย I didn't even recognize the title ๐Ÿ˜ฎย It'sย Laterย and it sounds interesting based on the cover description, but then it's the blurb's job to make the book sound interesting, so who knows :Pย 

• Like 1
OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

Hogfather, which I plan to finish by Christmas Hogswatch.

• Like 6

Iโ€™m listening to โ€™If It Makes You Happyโ€™ (Claire Kann) with my aroace book club. I donโ€™t know about the rest of the book, but an hour in it has showed zero literary qualities. ๐Ÿ™ˆThatโ€™s a shame because the subject (queerplantonic relationships) is interesting.ย 

• Like 2

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo - I'm supposed to be reading it with my online friend but currently I'm very behind!ย 

• Like 1

Just read maus (the complete work) over the course of 3 hours, no breaks. Now reality seems altered, and I realized I'd forgotten to eat dinner. I'll never ever forget to eat again. Maus was the best, greatest and most important comic that I won't read again. I'll give it to my mum.

ย 

(I've read blessed is the flame, I was no stranger to what went on in the camps, but no amount of prior knowledge or familiarity ever ever makes it less devastating.)

• Like 8

History of the Ancient World bu Susan Wiseย  Bauer. A very broad overview of the history of civilizations from the start of recorded history to the fall of room, encompassing Greece, Rome, Babylon, Egyptian, Assyrian, Indian, Chinese, Persian and others. Very good.

AKA

• Like 1

A lesson before dying

• Like 1

Currently on a couple things. I started up the Sword Art Online books since I now own them all and I'm halfway through the first one, I'm working my way through the One Piece manga, and also started Bullet Train after watching the movie. I can't just read one thing at once @_@

• Like 1
KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty

I had a huge reading block [instead of writer's block!] since I finished Book 2 of the Firebringer trilogy, to the extent that i haven't read any books since then. But today I read all of Book 3 [Son of Summer Stars], and I enjoyed it as much as Book 2.

I onlyย have three complaints. The first isย that the big twist of Book 3, which is actually a false twist, is one that I figured out back in Book 2, and then also figured out that it wouldn't be true after all, and didn't even care because I guess I have a peculiar form of morality when it comes to that sort of thing, in a 'as long as you're not hurting anyone, you do you', so it kind of feels like 'what was the point of all that?' Then the actual, real twist is so obvious, the character might as well be walking around with a neon sign proclaiming his true identity, but it's still treated by the narrative as a big surprise at the very end. The third complaint is that I feel like the deconstruction of 'evil races' doesn't go far enough when it comes to the not-wyverns, as the story kind of trips over itself with theย division of 'sting-tailed wyverns' and 'flat-tailed wyverns' into 'evil wyverns' and 'good wyverns'. As a side note, I feel like if instead of a final battle at the end, if there was instead a peace treaty of some kind instead, that would be much more narratively satisfying than 'time to kill all the evil wyverns, I guess'.ย 

ย 

Next up, the Tensorate quartet [I have the version that combines them all into one book] by Neon Yang.ย 

ย 

ย 

Also, as a side note, the actual first thing I read today was parts of aย book on goddess mythology, in an attempt to see if I could find any other mention of the non-binary being [or, beings, in some versions there's two] who helps rescue Inanna/Ishtar during her underworld adventure.ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ONE SENTENCE IN A 700 PAGED BOOK.

ย 

The worst part is, they're referred to as if they're not even human or people [the exact phrase is 'two creatures'].ย ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

Walking Alone, about Kenny Washington. A good if short book about someone I knew next to nothing about-- one of the first African-Americans to sign with the NFL.

AKA

• Like 1
Alaska Native Manitou

Popul Vuh.ย A book written by the Mayans centuries ago.

• Like 3
Following Through

Iโ€™m taking a break from this tough book I was reading & am rereading Anne Riceโ€™s The Witching Hour. The TV series is premiering in January so Iโ€™d like to be finished with it by then.ย 

• Like 1
fantastic mx. foxglove

I found some Moon Knight comics at the local book store and I've been slowly making my way through them

• Like 3