What are you currently reading?

Caligari

The weird thing is that, don't ask me to speak Latin, translate Latin, but by the time I've finished this, I reckon my reading comprehension will be reasonable 

• Like 2

Gout, the patrician malady 

Roy Porter & G S Rousseau 

I’m rereading The Hunger Games because of the new book coming out. 

I started reading a book called SVIN (PIGS) a long time ago, but it's been ages since I've managed to read anything from it. 
The last book-book I read was in 7-8th grade in school over 10 years ago. Since then all my non-fiction reading has been on the internet

I am too sad too read. I just tried to order some library books ready for the lockdown to end and the library has stopped book orders. What kinda hell are we living in, there is nothing to look forward to now!!!

• Like 1

The Pie at Night 

Stuart Maconie 

16 hours ago, AmberUK said:

I am too sad too read. I just tried to order some library books ready for the lockdown to end and the library has stopped book orders. What kinda hell are we living in, there is nothing to look forward to now!!!

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that... 😢 

The libraries here have been closed for over a month now, and there's been no word on when they're gonna reopen. I stocked up just before they closed, but when you're an avid reader, it just doesn't feel like enough... :( 

2 minutes ago, Just Dani said:

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that... 😢 

The libraries here have been closed for over a month now, and there's been no word on when they're gonna reopen. I stocked up just before they closed, but when you're an avid reader, it just doesn't feel like enough... :( 

I recommend seeing if your library offers ebooks. I borrow through the Libby app on my phone and it's really helpful, but I understand if you like holding a physical book and ebooks aren't your thing.

2 minutes ago, bobbypin said:

I recommend seeing if your library offers ebooks. I borrow through the Libby app on my phone and it's really helpful, but I understand if you like holding a physical book and ebooks aren't your thing.

I have some kindle books I haven't read and the library does do ebooks. But I have some real books I can read before I have to start dredging that low

• Like 1
21 hours ago, bobbypin said:

My library does, and I do read ebooks as well as physical books, but unfortunately not all of the books I want to read are available in electronic format. :( 

3 hours ago, Just Dani said:

My library does, and I do read ebooks as well as physical books, but unfortunately not all of the books I want to read are available in electronic format. :( 

Yeah I run into this issue too. There are also several books I won't be able to read unless I buy them cause my library doesn't have them in any format, but I'm trying to keep the number of books I own to a minimum. ☹️ And then there's the odd phenomenon of my library having a series and randomly excluding the second book, or even the first.

everywhere and nowhere

Just finished: Ignacio Padilla - "Amphitryon". It could be described as a (quality) novel about identity theft - it begins with an Austrian soldier during the First World War being offered a deal in which, if he wins a chess game, he would switch identities with his opponent and this way be exempted from military service (and follows into a much more labyrinthine plot).

everywhere and nowhere

Just started: "A mirrored stone", an anthology of modern Chinese literature. Some of the texts, by the way, were translated by a childhood friend of mine and she was the one to give my mom a copy. I borrowed it from my mom.

I'm also reading, in parts, a miniature volume of poetry by Heine (longest dimension of about 10, 12 cm?), in original. It's perfect for reading in a specific situation... in fact, now coronavirus restrictions have been loosened a little and today there was no queue at the store at all. But a few times I really had to wait, once I was waiting in front of the store for over half an hour. Recently I only travel by foot (to the closest stores) and cycle, I'm afraid to take the bus*. I have a kind of - how is it called? kangaroo bag? - a small sport bag on a belt, worn around the waist. I always wear it for cycling, also because I need a large backpack for the groceries. And this miniature Heine book is small enough to fit in this bag togerther with my money, house keys and key for the bicycle safety lock, so when there's a queue in the store, I read it while waiting. :)

*Although, given my current close-to-perfection health (of course, with a reservation for my eternal allergy and some discomforts while cycling due to damaged knee joints and just plain shortness of breath - but these are things I will never get rid of) despite the epidemic, I strongly suspect that in March, when I was having a cough, a terribly sore throat and, untypically, no fever at all (although I simply very rarely have fever), I indeed underwent a coronavirus infection and I may be immune now. But, obviously, I don't want to take any chances.

Just to make it clear, during my suspected infection I didn't go out at all for two weeks.

Luftschlosseule

The Witches of Willow Cove, middle grade with witches.

@Just Dani have you looked into netgalley? If not, it's a site where publishers give away e-copies of books in exchange for an honest review. If you're new there, your pics are more limited, but after a while, once you've sent in some reviews, it gets better!

Phantasmal Fingers

"On the various contrivances by which orchids are fertilised by insects" 

Darwin is very good on the minutiae. It's surprisingly interesting. 

• Like 1

The four adventures of Richard Hannay by John Buchan. Just finished The Thirty-nine steps and starting on Greenmantle 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

The four adventures of Richard Hannay by John Buchan. Just finished The Thirty-nine steps and starting on Greenmantle 

I read 39 steps a long time ago (and vaguely recall seeing the old movie version). I think I read one of the other books, too.

• Like 2
Luftschlosseule

Daughter of the Sun, book two of the Tales of Inthia, by Effie Calvin.

long nights

Gideon the Ninth, Helter Skelter, The Jinni Key, Welcome to the Universe.

I just finished The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series and rereading the Kane Chronicles, and now I’m reading the the Magnus Chase series

• Like 1

Ohh!

I enjoyed The Alchemyst!

I'll eventually get into the Kane Chronicles. 

I didn't realize exactly how horny the Witcher is. I just want some fantasy FFS.

You take the good with the bad.

I really enjoy David Gemmell novels for being light on that stuff.

58 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

I didn't realize exactly how horny the Witcher is. I just want some fantasy FFS.

I'm thinking that's one reason it got made into a show. 

On 4/19/2020 at 8:22 AM, bobbypin said:

Yeah I run into this issue too. There are also several books I won't be able to read unless I buy them cause my library doesn't have them in any format, but I'm trying to keep the number of books I own to a minimum. ☹️ And then there's the odd phenomenon of my library having a series and randomly excluding the second book, or even the first.

That sucks. :( 

As odd as it might seem, I'm also trying to keep the number of books I own to a minimum (I'm a notorious bookworm :P). I've only been buying the ones that I really want, and I've been giving away the ones that no longer make me happy or pique my interest. 

My library has been getting better at that, filling in the missing volumes of series that they carry. And they're great about ordering stuff in. They'll do inter-library loans for their patrons too. But with the library closed, they're not getting much in. I already have a bunch of holds, but I can't pick up the ones that are in. And I found out this week that it looks like the libraries here won't open until June at the earliest. 😭

On 4/21/2020 at 2:36 AM, Luftschlosseule said:

The Witches of Willow Cove, middle grade with witches.

@Just Dani have you looked into netgalley? If not, it's a site where publishers give away e-copies of books in exchange for an honest review. If you're new there, your pics are more limited, but after a while, once you've sent in some reviews, it gets better!

Double post, 'cause I missed this before. My bad. :P

No, I have not heard of netgalley. Thanks for telling me about it. I'm always looking for new places to find more stuff to read. My library does offer ebooks, of course, but I'm always up for seeing what other places have to offer. :) 

Phantasmal Fingers
On 4/23/2020 at 3:40 PM, Skycaptain said:

"My German was by no means perfect but was good enough to enable me to pass as a native." (!) :lol:

From when he floats down The Rhine on a barge - Greenmantle I think? 

• Like 3