What are you currently reading?

Caligari

I ordered the first book in the Witcher series, but I haven't gotten around to actually reading it yet.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Zagadka said:

I ordered the first book in the Witcher series, but I haven't gotten around to actually reading it yet.

I am already missing the libraries that are shut

• Like 3

I read Fox: A Story by George Saunders.  Short story, easy read, not the greatest thing I've ever read but perfectly okay, enjoyable enough.  The only thing that makes it a little difficult to read is that it's written by a fox and consequently many words are misspelled.  But I amlike hey that storie is prety gud.  And it was illustrated, which I liked.  

And still thinking about trying to sort of continue to read The Histories by Herodotus.

literallylexi

I'm reading Winter World by A. G. Riddle. It's the first book of the Long Winter series

Luftschlosseule

Jingo by Pterry. Re-read after many years and first time in englisch.

• Like 1
lilyofthevalley

La Peste by Albert Camus. Sort of relevant I guess

Guest Ca$hrina
On 3/31/2020 at 3:31 PM, lilyofthevalley said:

La Peste by Albert Camus. Sort of relevant I guess

I ordered that one. Should arrive next week.

Same reasons...

I finished A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara a couple days ago and I haven't been able to start a new book yet. I cried almost non-stop during the last half of the book, not even exaggerating that much.

Phantasmal Fingers

On the subject of plague related books I read Defoe's 'A Journal of the Plague Year' when I was a teenager. I found it gripping and still have haunting memories of it. It's a novel, set in London the year after the fire (1666), and with hindsight puts the current crisis in a more horrific perspective. 

I also enjoyed reading an early 19th century travel book called 'Eothen' by A. W. Kinglake. In one section he gets stuck in quarantine whilst in Cairo during an outbreak of the plague. When he goes to the bank he is outraged that the cashier will not touch any documents  he hands him over the counter, but insists on using tongs. He later unwittingly sends himself up in a somewhat hilarious manner by exhibiting a rather unselfconsciously smug and self-important reaction when he discovers that the cashier has died of the plague. 

guest-member-0100356

In the middle of the Revolt of the Angels and The Starless Sea. Probably Daemonologie, and I haven't finished The Phantom World by Augustine Clement yet (skimmed to find out about vampires, lol). Halfway through The Woodlanders. Started Beware the Cat, but could only really make sense of the poetry, which was surprising. Perpetually in the middle of so much fanfiction. '

My reading list is here, if anyone shares my interest in literary satanism and gothic fiction. It also has the majority of the phsyical books either I or my household owns. (Note to self: add the Damnable Life and Deserved Death of Dr. Faust(us?), and The Torture and Execution of Dr. Fian, and Camilla if they're not already there... and The Conductor. Bogdammit.).

Phantasmal Fingers

One of the best books ever written in lockdown - that I've ever come across - is the diary of Anne Frank. She had a lot more to contend with than just 'virus anxiety'. And yet what shines through is that she didn't let it get to her. 

• Like 2
Phantasmal Fingers

In terms of gothic fiction, @zi3l, I thought Mathew Lewis's 'The Monk' and James Hogg's 'The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner' were outstanding. Haven't read any fiction for years though.

• Like 1

Winning by Clive Woodward, I needed something a bit lighter 

@bobbypin, i also like v schwab! and have also read dorian gray, been a while but i recall that i quite liked it.

just finished false value by ben aaronovitch (part of the rivers of london series).  now reading beneath the sugar sky by seanan mcguire and continuing to read breaking the habit of being yourself by dr joe dispenza (takes me longer to read non-fiction).

I just picked up Constable On The Hill by Nicholas Rhea. Hope it's a good read.🤞

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. It's slow paced but the world building is phenomenal. I recommend it if you like space opera full of interesting characters and relationships.

• Like 1
everywhere and nowhere

"The Lost Kingdom" - Serhii Plokhy.

It's a book about the history of Russian imperialism and Russian nationalism, which also (not that I don't know it yet... I just enjoy reading books about politics and history) shows the reasons for Russian obsession with Ukraine and the inability of Russian imperialists, such as Adolf Vissarionovich Putler*, to accept Ukraine as a separate nation and state.

*Adolf - of course it's a nod to Hitler. Vissarionovich - to Stalin. Sure, there is a Polish saying "niejednemu psu Burek" ("not just one dog is named Fido") and sure, there were many Vissarions and therefore also their sons with the patronymic Vissarionovich... but generally, Vissarion is not a very popular name in Russia and so the patronymic Vissarionovich seems quite strongly associated with Stalin.

Étape, Richard Moore. The stories behind some notable events on the Tour de France 

Finished that

Jenson Button Life to the limit

That took 220 minutes 

Now for something more interesting 

Diseases of the workers Wilmer Cave Wright, translation of the Latin De Morbis Artificum by Bernardini Ramazzini

Phantasmal Fingers

A volume of tragedies by Euripedes. I'd forgotten how powerful the ancient Greeks were. Just read Electra. Next up is Orestes. 

• Like 1
Phantasmal Fingers
21 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Finished that

Jenson Button Life to the limit

That took 220 minutes 

Now for something more interesting 

Diseases of the workers Wilmer Cave Wright, translation of the Latin De Morbis Artificum by Bernardini Ramazzini

What did Mr Button have to say? Anything interesting? 

3 minutes ago, Moderne Jazzhanden said:

What did Mr Button have to say? Anything interesting? 

Not really, it was the standard formulaic sports biography, that's why I finished it in an afternoon 

Harping-girl

I started with "War and Peace" by Tolstoy...Nothing else to do in quarantine😷😉

• Like 4

@Moderne Jazzhanden, this book is in a weird format. The left hand page is the original Latin, and the right hand page the English translation. As it's all diseases and their cures and originally written in 1705, with an extention in 1713, its seriously interesting 

• Like 1
Phantasmal Fingers
1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

@Moderne Jazzhanden, this book is in a weird format. The left hand page is the original Latin, and the right hand page the English translation. As it's all diseases and their cures and originally written in 1705, with an extention in 1713, its seriously interesting 

Strangely enough the Euripides I'm reading atm has the original Ancient Greek on the left and the English translation on the right... We seem to be in some weird kind of sync here re classical languages! 🙂

• Like 2