What are you currently reading?

Caligari

simplybeourselves

I'm reading Ethics and the A Priori: Selected Essays on Moral Psychology and Meta-Ethics.

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson... honestly been reading it for like a year idk what my problem is with finishing it. I bought 3 new books last weekend but I haven't started yet

I just finished another Ian M. Banks novel, Inversions.  His Culture series is fascinating.  

Inversions deals with the lives of two people from a post-scarcity utopia who have left home and gone native on a planet at the approximate technological level of late-medieval Europe.  It also has a lot of political intrigue- think Game of Thrones levels of devious plotting all around.  The story gets into some knotty ethical questions, but I enjoy fiction that does that.

• Like 1
Lady.Saturnina.94

I'm currently reading Double Star by Robert A. Heinlein. Until today, I had never read any of Heinlein's novels. So far, I'm liking the book.

DarkStormyKnight

Just finished "Swann's Way" by Proust, god he was just such a momma's boy I feel like I missed the point.

Strange-quark
On 8/2/2019 at 4:09 AM, Ardoise said:

I just finished another Ian M. Banks novel, Inversions.  His Culture series is fascinating.  

Inversions deals with the lives of two people from a post-scarcity utopia who have left home and gone native on a planet at the approximate technological level of late-medieval Europe.  It also has a lot of political intrigue- think Game of Thrones levels of devious plotting all around.  The story gets into some knotty ethical questions, but I enjoy fiction that does that.

Yes it's a fascinating book! I see you got into Culture ;) ?

• Like 1
Luftschlosseule

Nine Perfect Strangers by Line Moriarty. Nine people who are stressed out and nearly bursting because of their own individual problems check in to a wellness resort, not knowing that the owner of said establishment decided they will be guinea pigs for a new treatment strategy. I am not sure if everybody will survive this trip.

everywhere and nowhere

Last year I mentioned Vincent V. Severski, a former officer of Polish intelligence (real name Włodzimierz Sokołowski) who, after retiring, began writing spy novels. He finished the first series (four books) and is now writing another, with some recurring characters. I just started reading the second part of the series, "Retaliation". I'll have to be quick: I just checked on my account at the library and there are five people in the queue for this book.

(Ursynoteka is really nice: it automatically sends messages that a book can be picked up, it allows signing up for books, I can check in the system where am I in a queue for a book or if there are more people waiting for a book I have already loaned... Actually, Ursynoteka is the whole network of libraries in the Warsaw district of Ursynów. The only potentially comfortable thing which can't be done is returning books at a different library - they always have to be returned where they were loaned. The closest library is just abour 3 minutes walking from my home, but the two furthest are a little uncomfortable to get to - particularly since I only use public transportation - and so I avoid loaning books in these two if they are available elsewhere.)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Actually, Ursynoteka is the whole network of libraries in the Warsaw district of Ursynów. The only potentially comfortable thing which can't be done is returning books at a different library - they always have to be returned where they were loaned. The closest library is just abour 3 minutes walking from my home, but the two furthest are a little uncomfortable to get to - particularly since I only use public transportation - and so I avoid loaning books in these two if they are available elsewhere.)

Though it's really inconvenient that you have to return items to same location at which you checked them out, it's awesome that you're in walking distance from a library!

I started reading Patricia Highsmith's The Price of Salt a few days ago.  It's engaging but off-putting how the protagonist is so judgmental!  I'm not that far into it and she's already made multiple remarks about other characters supposedly being fat and/or ugly, and this one guy just told her hello and she decided he "didn't look very intelligent."  I read a bit about the author, and it sounds like this is how she was in real life, and the novel is semi-autobiographical,  so that might explain it

everywhere and nowhere

Btw, a bit more about Severski because I've read an interview with him from a few years back. And for a while I was wondering why is it illustrated with a cartoon tomato:

e2642d05-1269-42d5-93c6-8ac84c85b884_280

(With a caption: The general rule is that the intelligence selects people. You can't just come and say "I want to work in the intelligence".)

In Poland there is a silly children's game called "the tomato game" - one child is asked questions and has to aswer "Tomato". Not very creative, but the journalist used this concept in a funny way:

I prefer using traditional, proven methods. I suggest playing the tomato game. If I'm asking you about something secret, than you just answer "tomato" and we move on.

(...)

Konrad, the protagonist of "The Illegals", says farewell to his boss while throwing an illegally installed tapping device on his desk. Have you had similar problems yourself?

Tomato.

(...)

I have to admit that Alganov is a real intelligence ace. As for the details of this provocation, I can only say "tomato".

;)

• Like 1
MerePeasant

Journey To The Centre Of The Earth - Jules Verne

I'm slowly getting through reading all the 'classics' that I can. :D

• Like 3
On 8/6/2019 at 3:24 PM, Nowhere Girl said:

Last year I mentioned Vincent V. Severski, a former officer of Polish intelligence (real name Włodzimierz Sokołowski) who, after retiring, began writing spy novels. He finished the first series (four books) and is now writing another, with some recurring characters. I just started reading the second part of the series, "Retaliation". I'll have to be quick: I just checked on my account at the library and there are five people in the queue for this book.

(Ursynoteka is really nice: it automatically sends messages that a book can be picked up, it allows signing up for books, I can check in the system where am I in a queue for a book or if there are more people waiting for a book I have already loaned... Actually, Ursynoteka is the whole network of libraries in the Warsaw district of Ursynów. The only potentially comfortable thing which can't be done is returning books at a different library - they always have to be returned where they were loaned. The closest library is just abour 3 minutes walking from my home, but the two furthest are a little uncomfortable to get to - particularly since I only use public transportation - and so I avoid loaning books in these two if they are available elsewhere.)

My area has an excellent system.  If you borrow a book from a public library anywhere in the city, you can return it to any other library in the same district.

• Like 2

I'm currently reading A Column of Fire, by Ken Follett. It's the third in his Kingsbridge series,  and I'm really enjoying it!

I got out of reading books for a while, but have been catching up to reading books again in the last few months :)

At the moment I'm reading a book called My cousin Rachel by Daphune Du Maurier, it's quite slow paced but still good. A bit of a break from Stephen King, who I usually read, I feel like I might be running out of his books to read, though I do know he has more I haven't read, I just can't find them. 

not_all_who_wander

Is it weird to say fanfiction? I know it gets a bad rap, but there is some amazing stuff out there if you know how to filter. 

I'm also reading The Outsiders and a bunch of other YA books to decide what to teach in English class this year.

• Like 3

Currently reading The Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes.  Well, not actually reading it.  It's open in a window on my browser or whatever.  But that sort of counts.  It's a long book.  I'm at the very beginning where he's telling me about senses and understanding and how my thoughts sometimes wander.....  

Concerning the main topic (as I remember from high school, anyway), my current take is: all forms of government are bad.  No government is also bad.  I think Hobbes' take is to have a strong authority that isn't pure democracy/the people/mob rule, however he'd classify it or whatever but I don't really know....  I can see a case to be made against democracy, a lot of people, such as myself being not very informed, etc., but I can also see how those with power could easily abuse it (as can a democracy, for that matter)... I don't really have much of an opinion....

I probably won't get anywhere in this book.....

Also sort of continuing to read Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges.... um, etc.  A lot of allusions and stuff, pretty okay, I guess, just read the first 4 short stories so far, not the most traditional stories I've ever read and not my favorite stuff thus far either, but interesting enough....

Fool's Fate, by Robin Hobb. I'm so in love with her world and characters, and reading this particular trilogy has basically been my entire life for the last week or so. It's just so good!

• Like 2
J. van Deijck

a Russian book about a girl from high school, it's basically a comedy novel and I'm not sure if it has ever been translated to English.

I've just finished Bastard Republic by Tyrone Shaw which is a series of essays about the author's experiences in Bucharest, Chisinau and Tiraspol between 1990 and 2010. And just about to start Between Worlds by Kevin Crossley-Holland

Celyn: The Lutening
14 hours ago, Taival said:

Fool's Fate, by Robin Hobb. I'm so in love with her world and characters, and reading this particular trilogy has basically been my entire life for the last week or so. It's just so good!

MY FAVOURITE SERIES EVER!

Reading Good Omens in preparation for watching the show. 

• Like 3

The Last Snake Man, by Austin Stevens. Maybe you know him from the late TV shows "Austin Stevens: Snakemaster" and "Austin Stevens Adventures" on Animal Planet. He's my hero.

Forest Spirit

(these are the last couple of books I've read, I can't read multiple books at the same time)

The book of lost tales (1 and 2) by Tolkien, long and confusing but fun for the most part

The art of the lord of the rings (since I own it and never got through it before... but it's interesting when in the right mindset)

The Bonobo and the Atheist by Frans de Waal, really interesting read! It's about the origins of morality and basically how much closer we are to other animals then we usually tend to admit^_^

Currently reading the Hobbit (in English for the first time) and I think I really needed a more upbeat story again (it has been written for children so yeah, not that dark obviously)

And I've so far read 15 books + 3 manga this year, which makes me quite happy since I lost my passion for reading in my teens due to my head being stupid... So ^yey^ for reading❤️

@Taival I've only read the 'the Fitz and the Fool' series so far but (except for the end of the third book) her world is really fascinating!

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere

Just started: Grzegorz Rzeczkowski - "In a Foreign Alphabet: How People of the Kremlin and PIS Played with the Eavesdropping". At least that's the translation proposed in the text I will link, in an American medium, not Polish - but it doesn't sound good for me. Particularly "played"... sounds like doing something for fun, and the original Polish word ("zagrali" - "they have played") rather seems meant to create the impression of a tactical game. So even just "used" could have been a better word in this contrext. And, well, "bugging" is probably much better in this context than "eavesdropping".

Anyway, it's about the Polish bugging scandal of 2014, when employees of the Warsaw posh restaurant "Sowa & Przyjaciele" secretly recorded politicians and other important figures dining there and later the recordings were made public. (These politicians didn't actually say really bad things, secrets and so on - but they were rather uncivil and blunt, saying that "we are giving head to the Americans", that Poland is a "theoretic state" and the most famous one - literally "d**k, ass and a heap of stones", figuratively it means that the state is weak and disorganised, and in the original it rhymes: "chuj, dupa i kamieni kupa".) The scandal, by reinforcing an image of "corrupt elite", played a very important role in bringing PiS to power... :( The author shows how links clearly seem to point to Russia and not just local business and politics. An Associated Press article suggests that the scandal could have been a Russian test for tampering with U.S. elections.