Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adrian

The symbol

What do you think?  

1. 1.

• I'm fine with just the triangle.
    • I want a choice, it's too similar to the pride symbol.
    • I want a choice for personal reasons.
    • I hate the triangle, let's get something different!
    • I don't care either way.

Adrian

I've never really liked the "official aven triangle" It's just seemed too similar too the gay-pride triangle to me, who else wishes that there was at least another choice?

Shivers

Well, AVENguy is looking for submissions for new logos etc... so, who knows....

TheSMMG

I like the triangle as it is.

However, having said that, it would be interesting to see alternative designs.

If it was inverted it would resemble the letter "A"...

Naissur9

well, I like Greek letters and mathmatical symbols, and before knowing about AVEN I thought about the null symbol:

nullsyb.gif

maybe there's other symbols along those lines that are appropriate?

Hexpiral

I like the triangle and it's association with pride (as we're also sexual deviants). But I would make it a gradient intead of black/white, and I wouldn't EVER use purple, as the stuff in the AVEN store uses, as purple triangles were assigned to Jehovah's Witnesses during the holocaust (like pink triangles were assigned to gays, etc.). And that's an association I don't like.

Adrian

Concering roman numerals I've always liked the IV that some people already use. I've never really cared about the color of the site, but I agree, I wouldn't like it associated with me in the real world.

zyralm
I like the triangle and it's association with pride (as we're also sexual deviants). But I would make it a gradient intead of black/white, and I wouldn't EVER use purple, as the stuff in the AVEN store uses, as purple triangles were assigned to Jehovah's Witnesses during the holocaust (like pink triangles were assigned to gays, etc.). And that's an association I don't like.

I like it because I don't hate it. I never knew Jehovah's Witnesses were targetted by Nazis though... thanks for that :) On a side note, triangles and purple are both very common unprovoking things (like the swastika used to be). I'm not suggesting that we use it because I'm fine with what we already have, but if it is changed, maybe we should try to ignore the connotations of things like that.

LILI

i don't find it estheticaly (aouch sorry for the vocabular!) nice.

Hexpiral

I said it because the other pride triangles (pink and black) find their origins as nazi concentration camp badges. And I don't want to:

1) steal other groups' identity

2) be identified as Jehohavh's witness

And yes, Hitler killed around 2000 Jehovah's Witnesses, because they wouldn't take up arms or participate in Führer glorification.

bard of aven

Had I been aware of that at the time, I would not have done it. It was merely an attempt reflect the dominant background color of this website, which I view as somewhere between lilac and fuschia. The "official" logo color, if there is one, is black. Was the Nazi symbol close to the hue used in the store?

I don't suppose having the purple triangle as one element in the overall design has a mitigating effect if that is how it strikes you. As the Thomists like to say, quidquid recipitur secundum modum recipientis recipitur. From which one can infer that that which is sent is sent in the mode of the sender. Which leads inexorably to: I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

More simply: no offense or misappropriation was intended. That offense, misapporpriation, or both can be seen in what I have done does, however, make it my move.

boa, storekeeper

KAGU143

Well ....

I don't really think it's broken, but if I were to "fix" it, I would want the black to blend in to the rest of the triangle. The reason is that I think there are varying degrees of asexuality, just as there are varying sexual orientations ranging from gay to strait and everywhere in between.

Ignore the color. When I tried to make it lighter it looked weird to me.(The paint program and I have some issues with each other. :? )

Sort of like this:

Avenproject2.jpg

-Greybird

Goonie

ohh I like greybird.

The reason is that I think there are varying degrees of asexuality, just as there are varying sexual orientations ranging from gay to strait and everywhere in between.

I agree. It fits the population better.

Dargon

Greybird, I liked the logo so I played with it a bit, I hope you don't mind

GreybirdsAVENlogoModified.jpg

By the way, if anyone else wants to play with making something, the AVEN beckground purple color's hex value is E7CEFF.

zyralm

Very cool pic Dargon :) I like the direction this is goin' :)

Chozo
well, I like Greek letters and mathmatical symbols, and before knowing about AVEN I thought about the null symbol:

nullsyb.gif

this I like...

Adrian

nullsyb.gif

this I like...

Me too, can we make this an option? Maybe add it to the shop for a shirt or something.

Oh and theres another idea right there, jewelry.

Lors

I like your triange Dargon. It's easy to look at. The the current AVEN looks a bit harsh sometimes.

How does the circle come into it?

I didn't know it had gay-pride associations, but that's not a problem with me.

I like the idea about the way it was constructed, although the fading would improve it.

I had an idea of what I thought it should be like when I first come here, but I don't remember what it was, probably because my preception of asexualty has changed.

Although I like mathematical symbols and greek letters, I'm not sure if they'd be approriate. I think we need to come up with our own, rather than using an existing symbol.

Just out of interest, what would be the meaning behind the null symbol? I don't see how it relates to asexuality, except in the sense of absense of.

KAGU143

I like Dargon's improvement too, since I will be the first one to admit that I'm NOT very good with computers. Afterward, I thought that it might be neat to put the seven colors of the rainbow around the triangle. (The gay rainbow only uses six.) I am partial to indigo because the description of indigo children seems to fit a lot of asexuals. I know it's New-Agey, and probably totally false, but it's still fun.

The only reason I put a circle around the triangle was because I have always imagined it like an embroidered patch or a button (badge) that could be put on garments and etc. An oval would be cool with the flatter triangle that DJ designed.

Circles are just easier to deal with. Triangles have those annoying and painful corners that catch on everything, especially when they are made into jewelry!

-Greybird

Shockwave

I really like Greybird's design and Dargon's modifications. I could see myself wearing a shirt with that on it.

Naissur9
Although I like mathematical symbols and greek letters, I'm not sure if they'd be approriate.

there is a Greek letter that is used as a gay pride symbol, the lambda letter. It just made me wonder if there was a letter who's root means something relevent to asexuality.

Just out of interest, what would be the meaning behind the null symbol? I don't see how it relates to asexuality, except in the sense of absense of.

yeah, I see it as the sense of an absense because for us we either lack a sex drive, attration, interest in being in a relationship, or a combo of any of such similar aspects.

Lors
there is a Greek letter that is used as a gay pride symbol, the lambda letter. It just made me wonder if there was a letter who's root means something relevent to asexuality.

Fair enough.

Cate Perfect

I like the Greybird/Dargon model. Pretty.

Then again, I like the Greek symbol, as well.

Cate

Hexpiral

Why can't we have both? The triangle officially and the greek symbol informally.

Naissur9

Which Greek symbol? The lambda that I mentioned? That's already a gay and lesbian symbol.

Dargon
Which Greek symbol? The lambda that I mentioned? That's already a gay and lesbian symbol.

The null I think.

Lors

The null symbol is mathematical. It could be confused with a phi φ or Φ, but they are different. Null is a larger circle with a slanting line.

*impressed these symbols show up here*

Cate Perfect

Yeah, the null symbol. And I like the idea of having both. The gay community has several --triangles, rainbows, the lambda, the labrys--so we could have more than one.

Kez

Ths null symbol is also the 10th cardinal vowel. Its pronounced "er", like in bird.

slatterly
Ths null symbol is also the 10th cardinal vowel. Its pronounced "er", like in bird.

Well, that's sort of appropriate.

"So are you going out with someone or what?"

"Er..."