Which definition do you prefer?

meep

Which definition do you prefer for the term 'asexual'?  

1 member has voted

1. 1.

• A person who does not experience sexual attraction
    • A person who is not interested in sex

This poll is closed to new votes

Recently, a new discussion about defining asexuality has come up on the rantings board (http://asexuality.org/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=8455). There's pros and cons to each, but I'm interested in knowing which definition we prefer. If you prefer a completely different definition or have made your own up to suit yourself, I'd appreciate if you still voted then brought it up in a reply.

Tough one...

Did anyone ever clearly define sexual attraction? Or find a way to more easily describe it (and thus its absence)?

I voted the first one, the reason I said there, and shall now say again here, is that while I have no interest in having sex, sex and sexuality are quite interesting. Also, some might be interested in sex for the purpose of having children or pleasing someone else. While defining sexual attraction is difficult, and the new definition is simpler, I find it less accurate.

Though there are positives and negatives associated with each definition, I'm more inclined to go with the 'not interested in sex' explanation.

If an 'outsider' were to query the asexual term, using the 'not interested' response would be short, sweet and to the point (SSP). Any other explanation could open up a pandora's box of long-winded eternal questioning and, even then, there is the possibility that the 'outsider' still would not understand and would either be :shock: or :?

Let's not make it hard on ourselves. Remember SSP and be free (from long-winded explanations, of course). :)

Schala Zeal

I votes the first one, for sexual attraction. There can be no desire to have sex while being attracted to others in a sexual way. If you're going for a major at university you might consider anything that's not study-related off for the time being, that including sex. That doesn't make you asexual in my opinion. So I prefer the first one for that.

I prefer " A person who does not experience sexual attraction".

It would be even better, IMHO, if "for other people" was added to the end.

"A person who does not experience sexual attraction" is the better definition because not experiencing sexual attraction is the CAUSE of asexuality. (umm...is that right?)

What about:

"A person not interested in having sex"

?

While simple and mostly acurate, it still has a problem in my opinion. An asexual may be interested in having sex for the purpose of having children or pleasing a sexual partner.

What about:

?

While simple and mostly acurate, it still has a problem in my opinion. An asexual may be interested in having sex for the purpose of having children or pleasing a sexual partner.

Good point. I take my suggestion back.

Sticking with what we've already got, though I guess anything I could say already has been said. I guess one of the problems I have with the new one is that it seems too much like some of the more narrow definitions people have come up with - say you're not an asexual if you've had sex, or if you're interested in discussing sex in a socialogical fashion, which let's face it happens a lot around here. I'd rather not see anything like that. Things are fine as they are.

I too support the broader definition, not least because it's the one that fits me.

Live R Perfect
What about:

?

That's what I'd vote for if it was there. The 'not interested in sex' option has altogether different connotations to 'not interested in having sex' one.

Edit: Sorry, I missed Dargon's reply:

OK, fair point. Maybe it should read 'A person not driven to have sex', though that doesn't really flow off the tongue, and brings me back to my sexual drive / sexual attraction differentiation problem....

Hmmm...

OK, fair point. Maybe it should read 'A person not driven to have sex', though that doesn't really flow off the tongue, and brings me back to my sexual drive / sexual attraction differentiation problem....

I too had a similar thought, sightly different definition. My thought was more along the lines of "Not interested in having sex for the sake of having sex." While I think it's a very good and simple definition, it is very long and, like you said, doesn't flow off the tounge very well.

girl_no_13

I too had a similar thought, sightly different definition. My thought was more along the lines of "Not interested in having sex for the sake of having sex." While I think it's a very good and simple definition, it is very long and, like you said, doesn't flow off the tounge very well.

Its a bit complicated, but I like it, it works for me anyway.

LisaRochell

I voted for 'sexual attraction', as it suits me, and it sounds more official to me, so it makes it more compatible as a definition. But after I've defined it to people, it's usually followed by a 'in plain English' explanation of "I'm not interested in having sex, not with other people anyway".

• 3 years later...

First one, because even sexual person might be not interested in sex.

The first one, because that is the definition.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived