La Stampa, Italian newspaper, is interviewing aces for an article!

ithaca

It seems like it's a GREAT moment for visibility here in Italy, I couldn't be happier ^_^

A good number of Italian asexual people were contacted to answer some questions that will help creating an article on asexuality with a journalist that also works on a Sunday-page they call "Sentimental Dictionary" which is about exploring relationships and emotions. I've just finished answering, I don't know if/what will be used, but I'm confident that whatever will be published will be great!

Stay tuned, I will update you all :lol:

• Like 2

Sounds like a good time for visibility in Italy, indeed. C: La Stampa is kind of huge over there, isn't it?

A survey done in July 2012 (and quoted on many websites) places La Stampa as number 5 as of copies sold daily :)

Electric Barbarella

Sounds like a good time for visibility in Italy, indeed. C: La Stampa is kind of huge over there, isn't it?

A survey done in July 2012 (and quoted on many websites) places La Stampa as number 5 as of copies sold daily :)

I knew it, hahaha. I used to see it everywhere when I was living in Torino. C:

Oh well considering La Stampa IS Torino's newspaper XD :lol:

sinisterporpoise

There are times when I wish I could turn signature lines off.

Is it a good idea to get excited about this? Now, I won't be able to read the article in its original language, but isn't Italian culture highly sexualized? (There version of Dancing with the Stars also had better music than the American version, but that is beside the point.)

Is this the first "asexuals exist" story in Italy? I've gotten thoroughly sick of seeing them in English newspapers. It's time for the newspapers to start delving into the issues asexuals face.

Is it a good idea to get excited about this? Now, I won't be able to read the article in its original language, but isn't Italian culture highly sexualized? (There version of Dancing with the Stars also had better music than the American version, but that is beside the point.)

I'm not sure I understand your question. Why wouldn't it be a good idea to get excited about visibility?

Is this the first "asexuals exist" story in Italy? I've gotten thoroughly sick of seeing them in English newspapers. It's time for the newspapers to start delving into the issues asexuals face.

Asexuals have had a few articles on Italian newspapers in the past, even big ones as La Repubblica, but nothing that could be deemed correct or unbiased or non discriminatory at times. It was mostly presented as a "new trend" for people who choose to live without sex, or something along the usual lines with celibacy and alike.

This time, having spoken a little with the journalists, it seems like we could have something better, like Marie Claire just did :)

sinisterporpoise

I'm not sure I understand your question. Why wouldn't it be a good idea to get excited about visibility?

>>>>Is this the first "asexuals exist" story in Italy? I've gotten thoroughly sick of seeing them in English newspapers. It's time for the newspapers to start delving into the issues asexuals face.

Asexuals have had a few articles on Italian newspapers in the past, even big ones as La Repubblica, but nothing that could be deemed correct or unbiased or non discriminatory at times. It was mostly presented as a "new trend" for people who choose to live without sex, or something along the usual lines with celibacy and alike.

This time, having spoken a little with the journalists, it seems like we could have something better, like Marie Claire just did :)

You answered my first question with your second response. There's an additional answer found in the links in my signature line. I dislike that most mainstream coverage has focused on our existence. There's been a small change lately where romantic relationships are covered. Such pieces made no reference to aromantic asexuals. (This includes a piece by 20/20 in New Zealand and an interview David Jay did with Wisconsin NPR.)

The Marie Claire article, as I understand it, was merely a translation of the article that appeared in the United Kingdom version ofthe magazine.

Disclaimer: My exposure to modern Italian culture comes from working in a pizza shop and being forced to watch RAI. Four years of High School Latin doesn't cover moderrn Italian culture.

The Marie Claire article, as I understand it, was merely a translation of the article that appeared in the United Kingdom version ofthe magazine.

I actually specified it was not just a translation, as it interviewed italian aces (one of them I know irl as well and is the other admin of AVEN Italy). Unless they made the English version translating the Italian one ;)

Guess I have to find the time to translate it.

this new piece from La Stampa has been asked by a journalist who's working on pieces on relationships and alike, for example one of his last pieces was on how much importance hugs can have, and another one was on a 90-y-o couple who have expressed their love to each other every day writing a poem to the partner, and other things on different kinds of relationships.

New email update! We're probably going to have a longer article than the ones they're used at writing for their columns, since several people have replied to their questions! Yay!

This is great news!

In many parts of the world asexuality is still something not everyone knows about, so I strongly disagree with the sentiment that an article along the lines of "Hey, you guys, asexuality is totally a thing!" is pointless – not at all! It's the first step, and you can't just pass it. You can't delve deep into asexual problems if the population is completely misinformed on the subject of what asexuality actually is.

It is easy for sexual people to get asexuality, celibacy and sexual repression all mixed up in their heads, so this first step is very important in drawing the line and defining things...

That said, of course, I have no idea of what the article will be about, but I'll read it to see the way they turn it. Because in the end, when it comes to mass media, the wording is key.

• Like 1

An article in a popular newspaper with a big circulation. Sounds like a great idea ;) Of course provided that they won't twist or distort anyting... Is "La Stampa" freely available on-line? I'll need to check. When the issue is published, I'll be sure to read the piece. (I should read more original Italian texts, anyway...).

This newspaper had already published a nice article on asexuality back in 2008, and I think it's the same journalist so I'm not too worried :)

Ok today the article came out. Saying I'm disappointed and pissed off wouldn't cover it in the slightest.

While the article itself has only a couple mistakes, the printed version (which, again, has a big sales rate) has a nice column attached, with the words of a certain Alberto Caputo, psychoterapist in clinical sexology in Milan. Who kindly and with no doubts paints us all as pathologically ill, lacking hormones, and quoting both HSDD and Sexual Aversion Disorder. Citing hormone therapy, which apparently works only for guys and not girls.

HEY ACE GUYS, THEY CAN FIX YOU YOU KNOW? :mad:

Electric Barbarella

Aw. D: That's sad news, Ith. Why do these people insist on perpetuating the same old clichés? It's so annoying.

Ugh, Ithaca. That's terrible!! :( I was getting excited to see it considering all the ace input but this sucks.

Also, you can go ahead and tell him I had my hormones tested due to low (aka: no) sex drive and they are all perfectly normal (and I think other AVENites have had the same).

All the :cake: you can indulge in.

Nomad in Stasis

It is one of those times I wish I had money, and knew Italian so I can fly there and beat the doctor with a rubber chicken and say in Italian, "YOU FOOL!"