Asexual spectrum?

JazzyTrumpeter

JazzyTrumpeter

I heard someone say that there is asexual spectrum. I'm new and all so I have no clue what the spectrum is. What are the different asexuality spectrums? Please explain. This is really confusing me.

Well, an asexual spectrum could refer to the degree of asexuality someone identifies as. Here's the Kinsey scale, asexuals are usually off of this particular chart, unless they identify otherwise.

kinsey-scale-asexual.jpg

The Kinsey scale has to do with behavior, rather than attraction; however, it illustrates the point.

Hope that sort of answers your question. :D

Basically the idea behind spectrum's are that you can't fit everyone into a couple different boxes. Rather everyone gets their own. In the asexual spectrum it goes from intensely 100% sexual to the extreme end of asexual where there is completely 0% sexual attraction. People fit somewhere between the two impossible extreme ends. Some people don't identify with either end so they classify themselves as grey asexual for they can neither say that they are sexual or asexual. So yeah, it's confusing, but it should be. There's also the romantic spectrum where again you go from intensely romantic to extremely aromatic. So there's an infinite amount of points and places you could fall on these spectrum so it's impossible to pinpoint the exact point where you are (especially seeing as sexuality is fluid so you could change location on this spectrum), but it's important to realize that people can be different mixtures of things.

Many times around here, people are also referring to the different "types" of asexual on AVEN.

The asexual spectrum basically consists of asexuals (not desiring sexual interaction ever), demisexuals (not desiring sexual interaction except in a pre-existing close relationship), and grey-asexual (not usually desiring sexual interaction...much...? I'm still a little fuzzy on that one.).

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

Many times around here, people are also referring to the different "types" of asexual on AVEN.

The asexual spectrum basically consists of asexuals (not desiring sexual interaction ever), demisexuals (not desiring sexual interaction except in a pre-existing close relationship), and grey-asexual (not usually desiring sexual interaction...much...? I'm still a little fuzzy on that one.).

Asexual is a person that doesn't experience sexual attraction.

Gray Asexaul is a person in the area between sexuality and asexuality, this inlcudes:

• do not normally experience sexual attraction, but do experience it sometimes
  • experience sexual attraction, but a low sex drive
  • experience sexual attraction and drive, but not strongly enough to want to act on them
  • people who can enjoy and desire sex, but only under very limited and specific circumstances

A demisexual is a person who does not experience sexual attraction until they form a strong emotional connection with someone, often (but not always) in a romantic relationship. A demisexual person would pretty much be like a sexual person in a relationship, and like an asexual while not in a relationship. Demisexual falls under the Gray A umbrella term but is a more specific type of Gray Asexual

I hope I helped you with the different label :)